The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

As much as I would love it, I don't see Jones falling to us. Nashville needs offensive talent, but if it is between Nichushkin and Jones I don't see them taking another Russian that early for a while after Radulov. What are Tampa's draft needs? Because if they select Nich in the order of Mac, Drouin, Nich then I believe Nashville will select Barkov leaving us with Jones, or the possibility to trade the pick for a lot... I don't know so much is up in the air right now leaving me extremely excited for draft day!

colorado just might go after mackinnon  , they have expressed a desire to get a talented offensive type player and that pretty much describes mackinnon in a nut shell 

florida is next to pick , if colorado does indeed go after  mackinnon you can expect the next best thing for florida to draft is some solid defense , they need it quite a bit and with jones being the top defense man in this years draft you can't get any better than that .  although nurse would be a 2nd close for them to pick over jones but im not seeing it , now if florida does indeed still need that offensive forward to bring the team together as a whole you are looking at the next  guy on the list in all due respect  it would be barkov , he is every bit like mackinnon but a tiny bit slower in the drive , still a great pick up none the less and to be that center piece they need 

tampa is in a very strange place , they could go defense or they could go offensive , but when looking at their team , they don't need  a center piece of the likes of mackinnon or barkov , and they don't need wingers of the likes of nichushkin or drouin , they need defense and like i said before , if florida does not go after jones , then expect tampa to go after him .  now there is an option down the road for tampa to go after drouin  since st louis is not getting any younger  and when st louis goes  they will be missing that talented puck handling , passing and scoring touch that st louis can give , but in all honesty its not a tremendous loss on their part if they did miss out on that talent  . 

nashville is now without a possible jones , barkov , mackinnon choice to pick , and they need someone with skill on offense who can play the puck but in a big way that helps the team , the only two options they have left are drouin who is a highly skilled puck handling machine that can put on moves that would make the likes of someone like datsyuk go dizzy  or they could trust in another russian such as nichushkin to put away the fears they had in the past  and get a big 6'4  close to 200 pound winger who can skate down the ice like erik cole and  make brilliant passes or score . given nashvilles lack in area puck handling skill it is very possible that they could forget either offense and go straight for another defense man that is being compared to another defense man which they already have in shea  weber by drafting darnell nurse  .  it is very difficult for nashville to choose because they cant go wrong with either pick 

which now leave carolina at 5th to decide  , 

when i look at the canes as a whole i see the areas that most of us canes fans have pointed out which we are hurting at . 

-size  - speed - defense - consistency - scoring . 

if drouin , jones , or nichushkin   fall to us  you have to draft for this year because there wont be another until 2015 . 

the canes already made the statement that they want to sign free agents for defense this off season so as far as drafting a defense man this year seems like a no go option for jones or nurse , now could jones  or nurse help the canes in the long run ? no doubt , they could be impact players if  either one were signed  , but given the urgency for the here and now instead of the later ,  and waiting for the development of a rookie defense man to be a cane , just does not seem like that is really an option 

so now we have either drouin , nichushkin , or monahan  , 

drouin a high skilled puck handling forward winger , nichushkin a malkin like forward winger with talent to move the puck down the ice , monahan a center forward with markings of a steve yzerman like intelligence . what do you do in the canes position and who do you go after and how will it effect the team if you picked one over the others ?

given the nature of how the team is the canes  are a gritty high speed intelligent burst damage type of team ,  we go in and we go out ,  there is no attrition other than the ruthless assault we deliver to other teams  given for the amount of time is needed,  the hurricanes pretty much play like  a typical  " Hurricane"  with lots or pressure that is meant to weaken the other teams defense ,  the canes are high risk high reward based , this style of hockey changed after the first lockout back in 2005 and the team has been playing it since ., 

looking at what the canes need in their given nature , you need someone who can deliver as much damage as possible   but the positions are limited .  drouin would be interesting with skinner  , you would have hands and feet  on the ice , someone who can get pass defenders with his legs (skinner) where as someone who can get pass defenders with their hands ( droun)   . the problem that i see with it though is that both players are puck hogs and would not share the puck with each other or other team mates if given room to do so ,  

then you have monahan who could very well be that 3rd line center we have been looking for after the departure of sutter , he is a coachs son in that light that if he  passes  its with the best intentions  , able to score , someone cerebral  . but with him you do have to question how nhl ready is he ? and can he make a major impact right away if placed on the canes ? the canes have a tendency to go for guys like monahan every year and look how that turns out .  you have to put all your eggs into one basket when making that choice  and sometimes the grass is not  greener on the other side .  

and then you have nichushkin 

to save you all the reading i have said before on nichushkin in the past  im just going to throw out tag lines on how he would work for the canes

khl experienced  , malkin like talent , 6'4  200 pound ,  winger ,  gritty ,  extremely fast , erik cole like drive ,  brilliant passer ,  goal scorer ,  ready to make the jump .  

i think the choice is very clear . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

Or maybe you just can't see us drafting anyone but Nich.  You may be right.

I'm keeping an open mind given it's still over a week away from the draft.

Or maybe I was just posting where I think Jones may fall. Don't tell me what I think.

Or maybe I was just posting where I think Jones may fall. Don't tell me what I think.

Sorry, I certainly don't want to do that and face another long rant about how you are growing tired of others opinions and the fact you don't take this thread seriously. :wacko:

Fine, Jones probably won't make it to #5 in your opinion.  I'm not disagreeing with you, what you said makes sense.

Again, and just for the sake of the conversation, anything is possible.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Guys(and gals), I've been thinking about Chip's tweet from awhile back relating to JR being receptive to a trade down "if the guy he's targeted in the 1st 4 is gone". If that was indeed what was said, and I don't personally know, I wonder if that's not a tactical error on JR's part as he signals less of an affinity for anyone else at that spot, thus another team looking to move up might reduce their offer in the now weakened position that JR is perceived to be in.

Seems to me, that if JR wants the best offer for taking a lower pick, he comes accross saying that he really likes "X Guy", but he might be persuaded to give up the opportunity to choose him for the right consideration.

Based on Chip's tweet, I hope JR will go to the draft with 2 or 3 offers in his backpocket. There's not a lot of time to start and complete a deal between the 1st selection being made and the clock starting on the 5th selection process. That's the max time JR will have, with it getting progressively shorter after every pick.

If there is a deal, IMO it has to include a quality d-man and there 1st round pick plus JR adding a mid-level guy like McBain or an AHL prospect.

Thank goodness it's only a week away. Playing GM is tiring!!!!

Guys(and gals), I've been thinking about Chip's tweet from awhile back relating to JR being receptive to a trade down "if the guy he's targeted in the 1st 4 is gone". If that was indeed what was said, and I don't personally know, I wonder if that's not a tactical error on JR's part as he signals less of an affinity for anyone else at that spot, thus another team looking to move up might reduce their offer in the now weakened position that JR is perceived to be in.

Seems to me, that if JR wants the best offer for taking a lower pick, he comes accross saying that he really likes "X Guy", but he might be persuaded to give up the opportunity to choose him for the right consideration.

At first glance I might agree with you. But nobody knows who our target is and I doubt we are telling. JR has a history of drafting outside the box. Many here think Nich is our target but it could just as easily be one of the others. More important is who our trading partner is targeting. If a player they really want is left when we get to the fifth spot they will try and make the trade. They can only guess that the player they want is or isn't the player we have targeted. Someone wrote it was a win-win situation for us. I agree.

We get the trade we want or we get a draft pick we can live with.

Cane's website write up of Lindholm pretty lofty. Lists him as the most likely to surprise into the top 5. Hmmmm.

Few if any mock drafts have Lindholm that high, but Monahan is. 

Still, Lindholm has been seen at #6 and back in February he was the consensus #5 pick for a while.

And finally we have a mock draft putting us on Lindholm.  

A quote from that mock: " Some scouts have Lindholm ranked higher than Barkov."

http://www.ultimatesportstalk.com/2013/06/22/final-2013-nhl-mock-draft/

Anybody buying it?

Edited by remkin

Sorry, I certainly don't want to do that and face another long rant about how you are growing tired of others opinions and the fact you don't take this thread seriously. :wacko:

Fine, Jones probably won't make it to #5 in your opinion.  I'm not disagreeing with you, what you said makes sense.

Again, and just for the sake of the conversation, anything is possible.

Then why are you mentioning it? Where did I say I'm tired of other's opinions? Once again, stop putting words in my mouth. I'm tired of everyone following the next beat writer's opinion and not making their own.

I'm tired of everyone following the next beat writer's opinion and not making their own.

So what's the penalty for that.....Slug reruns 24/7, pulled fingernails, a sharp stick in the eye? :whiteflag:

I thought we were all on the same side.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I just want Nichushkin.

So bad.

We're still talking about hockey right?

:D

To be on topic, I think Lindholm is a guy we like but we may not be comfortable taking him at #5. He certainly fits JR's stated goals. I don't see him lasting past #7 or #8 though so moving down to get him likely will not yield much. If Nichushkin's interview doesn't go well, it wouldn't surprise me to see us take Lindholm if Nich is still there.

Mentally I am preparing myself for disappointment. JR will likely trade down to a mid/late-first round pick where we draft a "hope he develops" player and acquire a journeyman or overrated defenseman who will come to Carolina and disappoint. Or he'll play decent for a year or two and then leave town. Then our smallish, nonphysical semi-skilled forward "hope" player fails to develop and the beat goes on...

Edited by Kyrule

Mentally I am preparing myself for disappointment. JR will likely trade down to a mid/late-first round pick where we grab a "hope he develops" player and a journeyman or overrated defenseman who will come to Carolina and disappoint. Or he'll play decent for a year or two and then leave town. Then our smallish, nonphysical semi-skilled forward "hope" player fails to develop and the beat goes on...

None of us know exactly what is going to happen, but I really really doubt that happens. Unless someone ponies up a really good NHL defenseman, not a journeyman or hope he develops guy. If we trade down, I doubt it's past #10. 

So what's the penalty for that.....Slug reruns 24/7, pulled fingernails, a sharp stick in the eye? :whiteflag:

I thought we were all on the same side.

Sorry, I get cranky sometimes. I think everyone here needs a good season from the team next year. If not, look out! :P

To elaborate on what I think we'll do with our pick in certain scenarios:

Jones magically drops to us at fifth, JR picks him without hesitation.

Nichushkin is there at fifth, JR takes him.

Drouin drops to fifth, JR waits and fields calls, picks Drouin if no one offers a deal meeting our requirements.

If we trade down, we pick one of Zadarov, Monahan, Lindholm depending on draft position and availability.

Assumptions/predications I've made so far:

-Nashville is picking Barkov, only way they don't is if someone else nabs him. (Florida is the only team above them I can see potentially taking him)

-Jones doesn't drop past 3.

-Colorado goes for MacKinnon.

-Florida takes a cue from Colorado, changes attitude towards who to draft, drafts Jones second overall.

-If that happens, Tampa takes Drouin, not Nichushkin :crossfingers:.

-Only deal acceptable must include top 10 pick, top 4 defenseman at a decent age, and a solid bottom nine veteran forward. May McBain or another roster player to even up salary if needed.

-Semin is very involved in generating interest in Nichushkin, sees an opportunity to influence Nichushkin's game to a more balanced style. Imagine a Nichushkin with improved stickhandling and more passing.

-'Canes draft a goalie in either second or third round.

None of us know exactly what is going to happen, but I really really doubt that happens. Unless someone ponies up a really good NHL defenseman, not a journeyman or hope he develops guy. If we trade down, I doubt it's past #10.

I don't believe what I suggested will actually happen, but it is always better to be prepared and be surprised than have expectations and be let down. I'm just a bit irritated about the possibility that we have one guy we are willing to take at #5, and that is it. That sounds idiotic to me and it shouldn't have been said/tweeted. I know there is gamesmanship and all that, but it is irritating to even hear such a stupid idea.

I just don't have any faith in management any more (justified or not), and I can't shake the feeling that we will pass on a potential star/great player for a couple of disappointments. I'm not saying my point of view is even right, it's just a gut feeling. Maybe we should trade down to address the defense. I don't know, but I just have a feeling it will end in frustration because we will trade for a player that is a head-scratcher and draft a player that is more of a reach/project. Hopefully I am wrong.

Edited by Kyrule

What time does the draft start on the 30th??? Thanks!

3:00pm Eastern on Sunday June 30th (can be seen on NBC Sports Network).

1:00pm Eastern: (Sunday) 2-hour Draft preview on NHL Network.

Running through Saturday evening and Sunday morning on NHL Network is NHL Scouting Combine Review and a one hour mock draft show.

Edited by Kyrule

OBXer, THanks for at least answering me! While not a frequent poster, I nevertheless am a rabid Canes fan, and absolute addict to reading this ,as well as any other Canes site to glean anything about our team that I can.

My questions or thoughts might be be as elegant as multiple other posers, but at times, I feel as if they are just ignored because I do post so rarely. So thank you for acknowleging me.

I do follow your thoughts on the issue i posed, and hopes it works out that way. Won't be too long before the questions are answered.

OBXer, THanks for at least answering me! While not a frequent poster, I nevertheless am a rabid Canes fan, and absolute addict to reading this ,as well as any other Canes site to glean anything about our team that I can.

My questions or thoughts might be be as elegant as multiple other posers, but at times, I feel as if they are just ignored because I do post so rarely. So thank you for acknowleging me.

I do follow your thoughts on the issue i posed, and hopes it works out that way. Won't be too long before the questions are answered.

Let me assure you I don't ignore your posts. I don't always reply directly to posts but think about them and then post something that a previous post made me think (always dangerous) me thinking. I do follow your thinking on JR saying he could trade down. I have no idea what he is thinking. Maybe just being honest, maybe posturing, maybe talking off the cuff. At this point I'm just watching the developments and trying to figure it out. You are right we will find out soon enough.

Keep posting!

Personally I tend to take all draft news, tweets, and opinions from sportswriters as guesses. Sure it's fun to speculate and contemplate what ifs. What the heck else was there for caniacs to do these last couple months. I mean at first JR is quoted saying he likes where we sit at 5, the top 6-7 may be NHL ready. Then it's reported if our 1 target is gone we'll trade down. Then it's reported we're interested in Nich, while someone else writes about how JR doesn't want to collect russians. So which one is true? My guess is the canes have the prospects ranked as they see them, they've probably planned out  20 scenarios  for draft day. But when pick 5 comes around they take the highest remaining guy on their list unless someone calls with a d-man offer and a top 10 pick. All the speculation and mock drafts were fun at first but I'm just ready for draft day and seeing what actually happens. I'm all out. I'll meet you at the food court.

When I first started posting on here a few weeks ago...ok before Al Gore invented the internet...

I used to think no one was reading my posts. So I'd keep making the same point over and over (yah, yah I still do, ok got it).

So anyway you sit there thinking, "well at least acknowlege".

Then all of the sudden you get a post saying: "YES, we all get it! You can stop now!"

It's just the nature of the game.

It would be interesting to see how many people have opened the page and viewed, and I suppose we could have the little thumbs up and thumbs down counter, but I'd probably be better off not risking it. :shock:

Edit: reminds me of that great Steven Wright bit:

"I have a light switch on the wall that doesn't do anything. Every day I go over there and flip it up and down...nothing. The other day I got a letter. It said, "Cut it out.""

Chip Alexander@ice_chip23 Jun

Was told had Canes held on to No. 8 pick last year and not traded for JStaal, they would have taken Grigorenko.

Suggests JR will take a Russian. Though didn't have Semin then, so still leaves the supposide "can't have two Russians together" nonsense on the table.

I still think it all comes down to how JR and the Canes feel about Nich after the interview.

Chip Alexander‏@ice_chip23 Jun

Was told had Canes held on to No. 8 pick last year and not traded for JStaal, they would have taken Grigorenko.

Suggests JR will take a Russian. Though didn't have Semin then, so still leaves the supposide "can't have two Russians together" nonsense on the table.

I still think it all comes down to how JR and the Canes feel about Nich after the interview.

Woah, would never have called that one.