The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

Someone in 52 pages has to be right about who we'll pick.

OBX Doncha think you'll be bored and want to host a Top 5 draft choice pick 'em contest? haha.

OBX Doncha think you'll be bored and want to host a Top 5 draft choice pick 'em contest? haha.

I'll get back to you on that ;)

That would be fun! Someone should try to get a signed draft picture of whoever we draft as the top prize :o

I'd just like playing it though :]

So the Canes website has profiled: Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm and Domi....

Wonder when the Nich profile is coming out....

3:00pm Eastern on Sunday June 30th (can be seen on NBC Sports Network).

1:00pm Eastern: (Sunday) 2-hour Draft preview on NHL Network.

Running through Saturday evening and Sunday morning on NHL Network is NHL Scouting Combine Review and a one hour mock draft show.

Thanks  Kyrule!

OBXer, THanks for at least answering me! While not a frequent poster, I nevertheless am a rabid Canes fan, and absolute addict to reading this ,as well as any other Canes site to glean anything about our team that I can.

My questions or thoughts might be be as elegant as multiple other posers, but at times, I feel as if they are just ignored because I do post so rarely. So thank you for acknowleging me.

I do follow your thoughts on the issue i posed, and hopes it works out that way. Won't be too long before the questions are answered.

The more posters, the more caniacs, the better!  Welcome!

We took a vote and all completely support you hosting the contest.  You game?

So the Canes website has profiled: Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm and Domi....

Ironically enough, it should be Wednesday, the day of his interview. Monahan should be next, then Nich.

I'm game but I'd be lying if I had any ideas of fair rules for this shindig.

The results might come July 1st, 30th is our first year wedding anniversary :) I don't think I'm gonna get away with tallying points that night haha.

We took a vote and all completely support you hosting the contest.  You game?

Thanks for link. 

He's off to a good start, but the values are incorrect and it needs several other dimensions (ex: a 4th round pick this year is worth a 3rd round pick next) etc..  to be usable in many real situations.

Regarding values being off....  

I can see the values are way off right away. Example: In reality, the 1st overall pick is worth about 33% more value than the 5th pick overall.  Yet, his chart shows the 1st pick is worth 2X the 5th pick (not correct).  

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

I'm game but I'd be lying if I had any ideas of fair rules for this shindig.

The results might come July 1st, 30th is our first year wedding anniversary :) I don't think I'm gonna get away with tallying points that night haha.

I wouldn't suggest it ;)

It could be points based on different picks. Like first overall is one point, second two, third three, fourth four, fifth five. Or something similar. I'm assuming we'd only be doing the first five picks, that would make most sense to me. Maybe bonus points for getting sixth overall right or something.

EDIT: Maybe I shouldn't post this  :letssee: but today Sakic and Roy said on some XM radio show that if they were to draft today, it would be MacKinnon. No real surprise, but now there's something to back up that claim. They still said they "have some time" and are looking at Drouin and Barkov as well.

Do you guys think this is some ploy by Avs management to drive the price on the first pick up a little? A lot of people seem to think Colorado is going to end up trading the pick no matter what. I think they'll end up drafting MacKinnon.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Do you guys think this is some ploy by Avs management to drive the price on the first pick up a little? A lot of people seem to think Colorado is going to end up trading the pick no matter what. I think they'll end up drafting MacKinnon.

I think it is a move to keep the options open. From what I'm reading Florida wants MacKinnon so if they would be willing to meet the AVs price and Colorodo could still get Jones or maybe one of the other top 4 at the second pick then why not. The price is high this year to make a deal because you have 5 or 6 (maybe more) draft picks teams can be happy with. I think they (AVs) draft Jones at 1or 2.

just like the those bray wyatt wwe promos on what they say  at the end  ,   " it's coming "  

they just want to get out of the way some of the talent in this years pool of players who we might see play against the canes . so guys like drouin , mackinnon , jones , barkov , ect . there is a chance these guys can be major impact players . which i find all exciting  !!! 

just like the those bray wyatt wwe promos on what they say  at the end  ,   " it's coming "  

they just want to get out of the way some of the talent in this years pool of players who we might see play against the canes . so guys like drouin , mackinnon , jones , barkov , ect . there is a chance these guys can be major impact players . which i find all exciting  !!! 

I may be naive and/or missed something but aren't they just reviewing the top draft choices in alphabetical order?

I may be naive and/or missed something but aren't they just reviewing the top draft choices in alphabetical order?

Hey, You're right. So much for trying to build a consiracy theory. Did they say how many they were doing? I would think if they include Domi we should get one on Nurse right after Nich?

Ironically enough, it should be Wednesday (Nichushkin), the day of his interview. Monahan should be next, then Nich.

I'll quote myself from a few posts back, which was an indicator of the alphabetical order thing ;).

...and there will be 10 total, which begs the question who is remaining besides Nichushkin. There are two left after him, will it be Nurse, Ristolainen, Zadarov, Shinkaruk...

Bob McKenzie's final draft rankings released today.

Top 5:

MacKinnon

Jones

Drouin

Barkov

Lindholm

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9422

Nice, thanks.

I wonder if I will be the only one who is happy if we draft Lindholm? I really like everything I have seen and heard, and I think he would be a great fit ("never takes a shift off", "two-way player", "can play center or wing"). I am quietly hoping that we draft him if certain scenarios play out.

Nice, thanks.

I wonder if I will be the only one who is happy if we draft Lindholm? I really like everything I have seen and heard, and I think he would be a great fit ("never takes a shift off", "two-way player", "can play center or wing"). I am quietly hoping that we draft him if certain scenarios play out.

If not Nichushkin and we trade down, I'd be happy with Lindholm. Not really if Nich is there though, but it's obvious I got a mancrush here.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Monahan is our guy...It also wouldn't surprise me for a second that we trade down a few spots and still land him.  Monahan opens up the possibility for J. Staal to center E and Semin (yes, I know that breaks up a heck of a first line), Second line could be Monahan possible centering Tlusty and Ruutu and Skinner centering a FA pickup (I mentioned Malone in the off-season thread and Clutterbuck has been mentioned as well) and Dwyer/Boychuk/Dalpe battling it out for the other spot.  We would stay deep at center and have good scoring everywhere, although I'd think that one of Nash/Welsh/Rask would be on the block (Welsh leading the charge there). 

These latest polls don't do anything to clarify the draft for me. They are interesting but I'm as confused as ever. One of my first guesses was we would take Monahan. Since then I have been swayed to lean Nich, lean Lindholm, lean trade down and almost bought into the Jones could be there at five spot.

Still confused, I Still know this could be a fluid draft but I'm going back to my original thinking that we take Monahan.