The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

Nich or Barkov. Those are our guys. If we can't land either we trade up. We need size and grittyness. These are also both impact me now players for our 2nd or 3rd lines. There are no other guys that we should draft.

I think I was the first person to suggest Monahan would be a JR type of player.  Smart, two-way center, playmaker, leader, compared to Eric Staal, molds his game around Jordan, etc.  That, and he could come in right now and make the team better.  However, it really is going to depend on what happens ahead of us.  There are just so many scenarios that could play out leading up to our pick. 

I do think JR has his eye on somebody that he believes will go ahead of us that isn't Monahan.

This is likely the most important draft for us since 2003.  I know where I will be on Sunday.  Glued to the TV, as I'm sure most of us will be.

Coastal I think you were the first to mention Monahan as a JR type pick. I also agree there are so many sceneries that could play out on or before draft day it is difficult to figure this draft out.   I also agree that this is a very important draft for us.

If we could trade down and still pick up Monahan I would be so very happy. I guess that might be asking too much.

Does get interesting. The only thing that seems pretty clear is that we are not taking a Dman unless we trade down (watch us do it just to show me), and that while there is an outside chance that Drouin or Barkov fall to us, it seems unlikely. So with that in mind it really has to be trade down a few spots for dman or either pick at 5 or drop a notch or two  all for one of these three guys. All of them will help us.

Nich: Has the same agent as Semin. Elite in a top 10 scorer kind of way. Could be the #1 pick of a different draft. With J and E centering we really need wingers with this pick (though in the short run a third line center would help). In the end the kind of guy a team gets a chance to pick up once a decade. Think of how Semin opened things up for Staal and Tlusty like some of us thought he could. Nich will do the same thing for say Skinner and J. Imagine the defense having to worry about Nich and Skinner has room. If this guy has the right attitude and interviews well today, and we stay at 5 and he's there. Take him.

Lindholm: Skilled, good skater, smart, playmaker. That playmaker part sounds really good if we really want a scoring third line. If we pair off our best forwards in the bottom two lines: J./Ruutu   Skinner/Lindolm  we need to find at least one decent winger and Dwyer. Ideally two. While Lindholm (and Monahan) can play wing, why would you draft either one ahead of Nich to play wing? But they are flexible enough to do it. Anyway, a creative passer and playmaker would be a phenomenal centerpiece for a true scoring third line. Eventually though one of E./J. or Lindholm would have to play wing to stay on the same team. A few years on the third line is fine, but eventually you get the J. Staal in Pittsburgh issue.

Monahan: (Coastal) Seems like the ultimate JR pick in terms of character and background. Really lock down the third line center position even better in that he is bigger and plays a very good two way game. Either Lindholm or Monahan would make us insanely strong down the middle until the elite pick tires of being on the third line. Still when J. was Pittsburgh's' third line guy they were pretty darned good, so it can work for a while. Somehow Monahan's size and two way game might fill that third line center roll a hair better than Lindholm.

If we take Nich, who is our third line center? Do we keep Skinner there? Do we keep Nash there? Try to find a guy? 

In a way the Lindholm, Monahan picks fit a need very nicely. Instant third line upgrade. Add a gritty winger with some scoring ability and  either Skinner or Ruutu and suddely you have an amazing third line. Still need a second line winger though...

If we trade down for a dman, we could drop pretty far. I'm thinking that after Jones goes, it might be a run on forwards for a while. 2-7 could all be forwards, heck if all fell right could be 2-9. 

I have seen all of Nurse, Ristoleinen and Zadorov as the second to go dman. If the right deal came along and we liked all three of these guys we could drop to #10 or lower and still get one of them. 

At the end of the day we have our top 2 centers. We've committed long term. Put Nich and Skinner with J. and we have two FIRST lines for years to come. Top 6 done. Really, how do you defend Nich/J/Skinner? Oh and that's rolling out there right after Semin/E./Tlusty. If he's there, and there are no off ice issues, TAKE NICH.

Edited by remkin

Rem, good breakdown.  I really would like the Canes to solidify the third line.  Look at how important teams third lines were in the playoffs this year, particularly Chicago and Boston.

Aside from maybe a couple of posters here, one guy that really hasn't been mentioned much around here is Drouin.  I am assuming that his size is the reason that scares people away?

Edited by coastal_caniac

I would jump on Drouin like a fly on dog sculpture. My assumption is that he will not be there. 

It might be a bit atypical to put two small wizards on the same line, but I can just imagine Skinner and Drouin on the same line. Sure the would have to learn to play off each other, but if would be fun to watch the opponent's dmen have to leave the ice from motion sickness.

Plus, what entertainment value. If we're not going to win the cup, lets at least see some incredible plays. Drouin, Skinner, and Semin are all slick ultra-skilled maestros worth going to a game just to see them. 

In reality, I wouldn't put Drouin and Skinner on the same line except... maybe on the PP, which BTW could use a Drouin BADLY. 

Further, if he is there it almost certainly means that Nich and Barkov are gone. 

I completely agree that anything can happen, especially past the first two picks, but it seems unlikely he'll still be there.

Linholm is listed as a center (probably to increase his value), but he actually played wing for most of last season.  Also, by the time one of these centers needed to move up to a top six role (like Jordan Staal in Pitt), E. Staal may be aging into a lesser role (Like Vinny in Tampa).

Linholm is listed as a center (probably to increase his value), but he actually played wing for most of last season.  Also, by the time one of these centers needed to move up to a top six role (like Jordan Staal in Pitt), E. Staal may be aging into a lesser role (Like Vinny in Tampa).

Those are good points. Skinner, after all was a center too. I am probably too focused on position. Probably the only way it matters is if we want a center. Then Nich won't work. Both Monahan and Lindholm can play wing.

I agree w/ Coastal on the third line. Of course we didn't get much consistently from our second line either...but any of these guys could give the third line a boost. 

I still think the big move on the third line will come from a small-medium trade, or a FA or bought out guy. One of those gritty guys with a bit of scoring touch. Even one guy like that would be significant, but somehow manage two and we're set. 

the latest mock drafts are meant to confuse people who already know how this is all going down .  if anything its possible that it was meant ruffle the feathers of some fans to get more excitement for their team picking this year in hopes of getting someone who they originally thought would not get at all .  

craig button might have some sense when it comes to looking at skill on a player , but  he is not that great at doing mock drafts . this i know . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

Those are good points. Skinner, after all was a center too. I am probably too focused on position. Probably the only way it matters is if we want a center. Then Nich won't work. Both Monahan and Lindholm can play wing.

I agree w/ Coastal on the third line. Of course we didn't get much consistently from our second line either...but any of these guys could give the third line a boost. 

I still think the big move on the third line will come from a small-medium trade, or a FA or bought out guy. One of those gritty guys with a bit of scoring touch. Even one guy like that would be significant, but somehow manage two and we're set. 

Tampa's LW Ryan Malone?

i know next to nothing about hockey, but if we don't take nich if it is possible to do so, someone needs their head examined. just my 2 cents.

we need help on defense, but we need it now, not in a few years. i would love a good defensive prospect, but not at the cost of a season. thats just crazy talk.

anyways, counting the days till the draft, like everyone else. have fun, yall. :)

I wouldn't be happy with Monahan. He'll come in as a third line center, but he'll probably only be that. The thing with Monahan is he's safe. But safe doesn't mean he's the best person to pick at five. Not to me anyways. Monahan is above average at everything, but that's it. And his ceiling doens't look that great. The thing most people say that he's excellent at is intangibles. That's great and all, but the same was said about LaRose. He'll probably be a good two-way center, and a good third line center. Which isn't bad. But at fifth we better not take him, I'd be happy taking him if we trade down, and only if we trade down. 

I'm not saying Nich is the only guy I'd go with at Five, I'm just saying Monahan isn't worth taking at five in my opinion. I'd go Lindholm over him easily. 

Tampa's LW Ryan Malone?

NO WE WANT CAL CLUTTERBUCK! RFA, so acquiring his rights alone wouldn't be too costly, then we sign him on our own terms. Perfect third line winger, heavy heavy heavy wrister/slapper but horrible aim. Hits like a truck, is pest to the opposing team, and has great personality. Like LaRose, but not tiny, can actually hit, and has a beautiful mustache that can replace Chad's beautiful smile.

Every expert analysis I have seen of Monahan, suggests his absolute floor would be an excellent third line center, not his ceiling.  Most experts have him as a very good second line center with a potential ceiling of a first line center, hence the comparisons to Eric Staal.

Eric Staal isn't an elite talent at any one thing in particular, much like Monahan, but when you put all those great skills he has together he's one of the top centers in the game.

So suggesting he's nothing more than a third line center goes against every expert whose job it is to be "in the know".  So, I'll trust their opinion long before anyone on here....no offense meant of course. 

He's a guy who has hung around 5-7 in just about every ranking by the experts since last December.  Nobody knows who will be the better player in 5 years of Nich, Barkov, Lindholm and Monahan.

But I would agree, you don't draft guys with a ceiling to be a good third line center with the 5th pick in the draft.  However, that's not the case here.

And I'm not saying we should draft him.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Aside from maybe a couple of posters here, one guy that really hasn't been mentioned much around here is Drouin.  I am assuming that his size is the reason that scares people away?

For me it is a size/strength issue to be honest, as a long-time Whalers/Canes fan I am a bit scarred. That and I am always leery that the guys with the fancy moves won't have the same success against the best players in the world. Drouin will likely be very good, he just isn't what I am looking for in terms of the Canes right now. If we had a lot of defensive forwards or were a big North/South type team that lacked skill or creativity then Drouin would be my guy. Honestly I think he would be a good fit in Florida as they have good size up front and some shooters, or in Nashville where they lack a dynamic and creative playmaker to help break out of their defensive structure and create offense. I don't see him fitting in Tamp Bay as well because they are a small/skilled based team up front already.

Edited by Kyrule

For me it is a size/strength issue to be honest, as a long-time Whalers/Canes fan I am a bit scarred. That and I am always leery that the guys with the fancy moves won't have the same success against the best players in the world. Drouin will likely be very good, he just isn't what I am looking for in terms of the Canes right now. If we had a lot of defensive forwards or were a big North/South type team that lacked skill or creativity then Drouin would be my guy. Honestly I think he would be a good fit in Florida as they have good size up front and some shooters, or in Nashville where they lack a dynamic and creative playmaker to help break out of their defensive structure and create offense. I don't see him fitting in Tamp Bay as well because they are a small/skilled based team up front already.

I feel you, man.  If Drouin had Kevin Dineen's (speaking of old Whalers) toughness, I wouldn't mind having him despite his size.  As it stands though, we don't need another Skinner type sniper.  One is great, but two becomes detrimental.

This team needs to get bigger and Nich seems to be the best fit.

Every expert analysis I have seen of Monahan, suggests his absolute floor would be an excellent third line center, not his ceiling.  Most experts have him as a very good second line center with a potential ceiling of a first line center, hence the comparisons to Eric Staal.

Eric Staal isn't an elite talent at any one thing in particular, much like Monahan, but when you put all those great skills he has together he's one of the top centers in the game.

So suggesting he's nothing more than a third line center goes against every expert whose job it is to be "in the know".  So, I'll trust their opinion long before anyone on here....no offense meant of course. 

He's a guy who has hung around 5-7 in just about every ranking by the experts since last December.  Nobody knows who will be the better player in 5 years of Nich, Barkov, Lindholm and Monahan.

But I would agree, you don't draft guys with a ceiling to be a good third line center with the 5th pick in the draft.  However, that's not the case here.

And I'm not saying we should draft him.

What's his height and weight? I'd say Eric is above average at everything but excels in strength and size. It's just what I've read and heard aside from the TSN write-ups which never talk bad about a prospect. Although a lot of hockey writers go on the general knowledge and haven't necessarily even seen the guy play.

But Monahan with a second line future and potential first line ceiling, I'd say picking him at five over Nichushkin or Lindholm would be silly. Again, my humble opinion. Monahan isn't bad, at all. But I think the people around his position are just better enough to push him behind them. 

On Drouin, I'd trade down over taking him. Although points have been made this roster lacks a true playmaker. Semin took that role on last year, but he's a goalscorer and focusing on making the play resulted in less goalscoring. Although, I'm not complaining about Semin's play last year so I wouldn't mind him hanging on to that role. I think that lack of a pure playmaker resulted in our dismal powerplay and scoring depth.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Sucka, I'm not really wanting to get in a debate over who we should pick at #5.  You've made it clear who your choice is.  I was only pointing out that your statements about Monahan went against the grain of most everything out there with respect to expert rankings and analyses of the top prospects. 

Obviously, if you don't know his size, you aren't really dialed in on that particular prospect. Again, the comparison to Eric Staal, and he models his game after Jordan. The rankings I'm referring to don't come from the media, rather Central Scouting and ISS, and the scouts from their respective teams.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Sucka, I'm not really wanting to get in a debate over who we should pick at #5.  You've made it clear who your choice is.  I was only pointing out that your statements about Monahan went against the grain of most everything out there with respect to expert rankings and analyses of the top prospects. 

Obviously, if you don't know his size, you aren't really dialed in on that particular prospect. Again, the comparison to Eric Staal, and he models his game after Jordan. The rankings I'm referring to don't come from the media, rather Central Scouting and ISS, and the scouts from their respective teams.

Woah, I just answered your post. I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to. Where did I attempt to get into a debate? I just replied to your points with what why I said what I said earlier. It's called discussion. Can we stop villianizing me? Jesus Christ.

I made a valid point, I think the players ranked around him are just good enough to push him back. And can you stop saying it's clear who I want. Yes it is, you've said that several times in this thread. Repeating that sentence isn't going to do anything. Just because I let it be known who I want to draft at fifth doesn't mean I'm not allowed to continue with the discussion. Seriously, you're getting on my nerves.

I don't know if you mean to or what, but either continue the discussion and quit singling me out and making me seem like a bad guy for having an opinion, or ignore me altogether. Sheesh.

Sorry, I get cranky sometimes.

Pretty much what Legend said X2.

There is really no need to get upset that somebody points out you made a statement unfounded in facts. 

I've made them and have been corrected, everybody has. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

Wonder how Tampa's buyout of Vinny L will effect who they draft.  Maybe they lean towards barkov to center the 2nd line.  If the 1st 3 picks go Mac, Drouin, Barkov.... who does Nashville draft?  They could take jones to have a hopeful replacement of Suter, or go with an offensive need and take Nich.  And all though to some the draft seems set as far as the top couple picks, every year teams throw in a curve ball.  I remember in 2010 a lot of us were upset we skipped on the 3rd rank prospect in Cam Fowler and picked skinner.