The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

Wonder how Tampa's buyout of Vinny L will effect who they draft.  Maybe they lean towards barkov to center the 2nd line.  If the 1st 3 picks go Mac, Drouin, Barkov.... who does Nashville draft?  They could take jones to have a hopeful replacement of Suter, or go with an offensive need and take Nich.  And all though to some the draft seems set as far as the top couple picks, every year teams throw in a curve ball.  I remember in 2010 a lot of us were upset we skipped on the 3rd rank prospect in Cam Fowler and picked skinner.

May affect a few things. If by some chance Jones falls, do they let him fall further? Do they take Barkov over Drouin or Nich? 

Whenever I look at mock drafts I think of that 2010 draft. The first three went dutifully in order, including Erik Gudbranson, defense, at #3. Then began a massive run on forwards. Where Fowler and Gormley were supposed to go next...6 forwards in a row.  Not only did Folwer fall to #12, but Brandon Gormley fell to #13. 

So anything can happen. Still Jones is even more touted than even Gudbranson, and did go #3, but in general GM's do tend to favor forwards early, and Colorado has declared their taking a forward. Hard to imagine Florida passing on Jones, but if they do.....

You never know.

I know mock drafts are what they are, but hey until this thing goes down what else is there?

The three NHL.com guys released their final mock drafts: And with the 5th pick, Carolina Hurricanes select:

Morreale: Nich "big, skilled forward also would take attention away from Eric and Jordan Staal and provide needed secondary scoring"

Kimelman: Nurse: "big, smart, athletic blue liner...potentially could step right into line up next year"

Hoffner: Nich: "some scouts believe he is the best player in the draft".

So clearly the mocks are still thinking Nich with some dessent.

Of note in the Monahan debate. All 3 guys have him going #6 to Calgary and ahead of Lindholm who is 8,9,10.

I know they are "just" writers, but scouts also have Monahan ranked as high as that. In this year's super deep draft it is hard to imagine the guy going #6 to be a third line center in terms of upside.

Using the mock drafts to predict draft order is fun but very inaccurate, as is using the Canes profiles.

BUT if one does merge them all together, both Nurse and Monahan and Lindholm just seem unlikely without a trade down. Monahan is getting the most very recent mock draft love overall. But previously ranked 6-10. Canes website really gushed about Lindholm. Lindholm is ranking 6-10 also. Nurse is getting a bit more attention again having settled down for a while. But while Kimelman sees him as possibly NHL ready, many scouts see his game as incomplete. A great great prospect but possibly not NHL ready this year.

JR and company surprised like crazy in 2010 grabbing Skinner instead of one of the top dmen. But that was the exception. In general JR is a value investor. He usually likes to take guys who have fallen from previous projections: Boychuk and Murphy are examples. And picking up other team's first rounders in trades and signings. 

So I do think JR would be happy w/ Monahan, Nurse or Lidholm, and maybe even Risto or Zadarov. But they don't have Skinner type upside, so I just don't see him reaching for them at #5 with ONE exception: if there was a really bad interview by Nich yesterday.

So unless we trade down, I just can't see us going for anyone not in the generally consensus top 5 excepting a bad Nich interview. 

I do think JR would like to trade down if he can fix the defense in that same move, but my guess is that a good enough deal will not materialize that keeps us in the top 10, and I don't think JR moves out of the top 10 unless a too good to be true deal emerges, which it will not. (Because it's too good to be true, and therefor not true).

So JR takes whoever is there from Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov and Nich. 

And again, barring a bad vibe in the interview, or a surprising drop of one of the top 4.

I'm still saying Nich.

Final answer. 

Edited by remkin

TB buying Vinnie out...they gotta go Barkov at 3 or trade down to grab a guy like Monahan, interesting to see how this is gonna shake out.  I can easily see Nashville grabbing Nich and Drounin being there for us, but is his size a concern??? 

I wouldn't necessarily take Vinny's buyout as meaning TB is definitely taking Barkov. It definitely makes it seem more likely now though. I still think TB takes Jones if FL doesn't. Especially if FL takes Barkov after COL takes MacKinnon. Drouin then goes to Nash, and Nich is there for us at five.

If Nichuskin is there at 5, take him, put him on the 2nd line, and draft Skinner for your fantasy team because he is going to spend a lot of time against bottom pair defensemen!

If today's profile is any indication of what JR might do, you can put to rest any notion of us taking Nurse.

That was a pretty uninspiring profile to say the least, its like a lesson in how to call someone a "project" or "overrated" without saying it. Hopefully this isn't some smoke-screen, and I seriously doubt it is. I never once thought we would take a defenseman at #5, but if Jones does fall...

I don't worry about Drouin's size. If he is there we would be absolutely nuts not to take him.

Marin St. Louis is 5"8" 180 in skates and soaking wet.
The man just led the league in points and he's 38 years old.
Last year projected to a normal season would have been 102 points.

He has been 90 plus in points 5 times if you include this last season prorated.

Despite his minuteness he has played every game or nearly every game for 10 straight seasons.
The guy scares the pants off me when he has the puck against us.

Yes, it would be nice to have a bigger body, but Drouin's skill is off the charts.

If he's there JR will take him.

Edited by remkin

Man, im salivating, wish it was  sunday  already!   Great work by the canaics  out here, good work everyone!

i think the canes want barkov. if hes not there they will take whomever is left of the top 5 cept  nich, if nich is there i think jr will see what someone will cough up in the heat of the moment

Say Nich  interview didnt go well, couldnt that be  a   translation  thing possibly,  anyways, if nich is gone, and nurse is there, and jones is gone, no one likes nurse at 5??   Or we  we trade further down with that 5th pick...  just wondering..??WE need a punishing  dman.. i say if those top  forwards are gone, including nich, we get Nurse, or trade down..   i know  easy to say that  :).

I apologize for not being able to find the link, but I read an article today that suggested Nashville would take Jones if he was there.  I know it was a long shot for him to fall out of the top-3 but if that's true that completely dashes my hopes of Jones falling to us.

Last time I promise, but four more mock drafts (our pick listed):

The Hockey Writers: Lindholm

Sports Bank: Lindholm

Canes Country (Bubba): Monahan

Armchair Hockey: Drouin

That means 3 of the last 5 mock drafts listed on dcprosportsreport has us taking Lindholm, which makes me happy ;). The Hockey News and McKeen's player rankings actually have Lindholm ahead of Nichushkin AND Barkov. Not saying they are right or wrong, just shows how opinions vary.

Edited by Kyrule

There have been a slew of mock drafts released.

Since 6/25, the dc sports compilation lists 18 mock drafts, including Bob Wage of Canes Country.

If I am counting correctly we are taking:

Nichushkin 7

Nurse         4

Monahan   3

Lindholm    2

Drouin        1

Barkov       1

Two of 18 have Nich going before us (the ones that give us Drouin/Barkov),  9/18 have Nich there and us passing on him. 

So while Nich is still our most projected pick, "not Nich" is predicted 11/18 vs 7/18. 

Bob Wage of Canes Country puts us on Monahan. (Is that you Coastal?).

I still want Nich. But if we can't get a top 4 drop down, Monahan is a decent choice.

OK Kyrule, this is getting ridiculous.  :shock: You beat me by 2 minutes. :hits forehead:  But I have more mocks!  :razz:

Edited by remkin

That's pretty damned funny...or just weird. We'll go with funny :D.

Holy Crap! I just refreshed the page and 10+ more mocks showed up, now your post makes sense. I must have visited the page literally seconds before they were all posted/added.

You beat me again :(.

Oh, and the Sports Bank one is an error on their listing, when you read the article it has us taking Nichushkin.

Edited by Kyrule

Bob Wage of Canes Country puts us on Monahan. (Is that you Coastal?).

Well, between Kyrule (Bob Wage = Bubba) and yourself (Is that you Coastal?) and based on some of the stuff I've posted, it could be.

See what I mean SuckaPunched?  You make a few comments about Monahan and bam, he's your guy. :hits forehead: All in fun though.

I know I've scoffed at the mocks, but it is pretty neat to see the stuff summarizned and the draft only a few days away.  Good stuff.

Well, between Kyrule (Bob Wage = Bubba) and yourself (Is that you Coastal?) and based on some of the stuff I've posted, it could be.

See what I mean SuckaPunched?  You make a few comments about Monahan and bam, he's your guy. :hits forehead: All in fun though.

I know I've scoffed at the mocks, but it is pretty neat to see the stuff summarizned and the draft only a few days away.  Good stuff.

Hahaha, yeah  :razz:

I think it comes down to the interviews we did post-combine, pre-draft and the offers we get on the pick not only leading up to the draft, but during it and right before we go up to the podium. It'll be interesting, and the weather forecast for the draft is so unpredictable. I'm excited! I just hope I'm not let down or disappointed by what happens, but when it comes to drafts you can't really tell for a year or two. Look at Skinner, most of the forum imploded then, and Skinner went on to win the Calder that year.

:D

That is how it is listed on the dcprosportsreport list, as Canes Country (Bubba). I just copied it. I see the author is Bob Wage so I guess he calls himself/or has the nickname "Bubba."

coastal_caniac, on 27 Jun 2013 - 22:28, said:

coastal_caniac, on 27 Jun 2013 - 22:28, said:

See what I mean SuckaPunched? You make a few comments about Monahan and bam, he's your guy. :hits forehead: All in fun though.

As far as I recall you are the first one on here to put us on Monahan. Not so much that he's your guy as a guy you think might be the actual pick. You should win something if we pick him.

I do find Wage's pick more weighty than most mocks. They are generally trying to guess based on best player or needs for teams they follow more or less loosely. Wage is a Caniac and follows the Canes closely. He, (like you) :letssee: you sure you're not him?, factors in JR's historical biases and tendencies also.

Certainly supports your assertion that Monahan is the guy JR would be most comfortable with. A "JR-type pick".

Also, while I compiled the last 18 mocks, Monahan finds himself as our pick 3 times, but 2 of the 6 most recent ones. Probably meaningless, but still.....

I am still thinking Nich, but if JR is serious about the two Russian thing, or Nich's interview left JR unsettled for some reason, Monahan is probably the guy.

While the wait is getting intense, they do say that about two days out deals can start really happening, with increasing intensity right up to the pick itself. :nailbite:

Edited by remkin

And to add to the mix, Cane's Website write up of Ristoleinen was pretty glowing overall, though in the end seemed to imply he would be a late top ten or below pick. 

In the end I really think JR follows his tendency to avoid dmen in the draft. Two reasons. While a rookie like Risto might be NHL ready, he is not going to be top 4 NHL ready, which is what we need this year. And the whole tendency of teams to develop Dmen only to have top guys play a couple of years and leave for free agency. 

I guess getting a guy to step right in at least you get some years out of them and a chance to hold them through RFA since their value will be clear. 

Still JR's bias is clearly to take first round dmen only if they are widely considered appropriate for the pick or have dropped down. The only guy who fits that is Jones.

Yet if we were picking say #9 and Ristoleinen or Nurse were there...it is a need. 

I would be very surprised if we take a dman w/out trading down.

But I was very surprised by Skinner. 

Edited by remkin

That post up there got me to thinking more on Monahan:

1. He is the kind of guy JR is comfortable with long term. Who knows what might occur w/ Nich and Semin and JR (or whatever GM) over the years, but Monahan is clearly a guy the Canes will more than likely re-sign. The kind of guy you pretty much know you're going to keep long term.

2. Strong down the middle. Like super strong for a few years. And top two set for many years. Just have to hang

some wingers on them over the years. And if Tlusty and Skinner stay to form, that's a pretty nice core.

3. We need third line help and w/ Monahan being a strong two way player the third line seems like a perfect place for him.

4. E. Staal replacement? I've listed the J. Staal Penguin situation as a reason not to take a center, but when J. would have reached FA (this summer) Crosby is 24 and Malkin 26. But when Monahan reaches FA, Eric will be 33 looking at 34. E. might be ready to drop back a bit.

5. Monahan can play wing. As can E. BTW as E. hits his mid 30's moving him to wing would be an option also.

Man, almost taking myself into this...

Edited by remkin