The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

Nichushkin 7

Nurse         4

Interesting that nobody here has voted for Nurse (yet) in "our" most recent poll above.

I wouldn't be mad with Nurse, I just don't want him at pick 5. Maybe if we trade down I'll be happy, same goes with Monahan. If we keep that 5th pick we have to pick one of those top 5 players and maybe Lindholm as well.

For myself, the only way I can really be mad after this draft is if we reach on a player with that 5th pick, or if we trade down past 15th pick, or trade away the first rounder without receiving one in return (which I doubt would happen anyways)

Lindholm is a another player I don't think the Canes would regret taking.  All these guys are so close.

The arguments for Monahan pretty much line up for Lindholm also. 

Just not as big or Canadian.

Somebody remind me what JR said about having Russians on a team?  Maybe I missed that comment cause I can't recall hearing or reading what he said.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Somebody can get the exact person who implied it, but someone implied that JR had said in trade talks that Russian players might do better without other Russian players on the roster. 

So far as I know it was mostly hearsay and not a quote. 

Per Richard Cloutier

edm.gif Edmonton Oilers Blogger
Carolina/Tampa Bay Flip?
Was listening to Team 1260 on the drive in today and I heard it suggested that Carolina and Tampa Bay could flip picks if Seth Jones is still available at #3. That makes complete sense to me. The Lightning have a decent group of young defenseman. Picking up Elias Lindholm or Valeri Nishushkin makes more sense than Jones. The Hurricanes, on the other hand, would be a brilliant place for Jones to play.

All I know is, this would be great news for the Oilers.

1. Colorado - MacKinnon
2. Florida - Drouin
3. Carolina (from Tampa) - Jones
4. Nashville - Barkov
5. Tampa (from Carolina) - Nishushkin (as it is rumored that they really, really like him)
6. Calgary - Monahan or Lindholm
7. Edmonton - Monahan or Lindholm
----------------------------------------------------

Would love for this to happen, but what would TB want to flip spots???  I would give them our 2nd round pick in a second...but is that enough?

Per Richard Cloutier

edm.gif Edmonton Oilers Blogger
Carolina/Tampa Bay Flip?

Was listening to Team 1260 on the drive in today and I heard it suggested that Carolina and Tampa Bay could flip picks if Seth Jones is still available at #3. That makes complete sense to me. The Lightning have a decent group of young defenseman. Picking up Elias Lindholm or Valeri Nishushkin makes more sense than Jones. The Hurricanes, on the other hand, would be a brilliant place for Jones to play.

Would love for this to happen, but what would TB want to flip spots???  I would give them our 2nd round pick in a second...but is that enough?

Based on the point system I have been using, our second pick would be more than enough.

Moving up from 5 to 3 should cost 10.2 points. Our second round pick is worth 11.3 points. 

Even though on paper it is a slight overpay for us, to get a guy like Jones and given our deep defensive need it would be more than fair. 

(of course two more losses last year and we'd have both....ok sorry, just could not help myself).

But that REALLY is an intriguing idea. Most do not see Jones dropping to 3, but if he did....I'd make that move

Just reading on NHL.com about "why Chicago won the cup". The number one reason listed was the excellent all zones play of their defense. As sexy as offense is, defense is what we need if we're going to be serious contenders.

Edited by remkin

I wouldn't trade spots with Tampa.  If Nich is their guy, why give them a high 2nd so they can get that guy?  I'd play chicken in that spot and say "Go ahead and take the guy you don't want", and take my chances that Jones makes it past Nashville.

Nashville has already said they would take Jones if he fell to 4th. No way he makes it to the #5 pick. 

I still think Jones will go 1st or 2nd. Even though the AVS say they are not taking him...It could be just a smoke screen.

Nashville has already said they would take Jones if he fell to 4th. No way he makes it to the #5 pick. 

I still think Jones will go 1st or 2nd. Even though the AVS say they are not taking him...It could be just a smoke screen.

So what?  If Tampa takes Nich, Canes "settle" for Barkov if Nashville takes Jones.  If they don't, he falls to Canes at 5th.  I'm just not buying that Drouin will go 2nd.  In fact he's the one likely to fall to 5th IMO.

So what?  If Tampa takes Nich, Canes "settle" for Barkov if Nashville takes Jones.

Right, I would be absolutely fine if Nashville passed on Barkov and we took him...

Hey I'd be happy with any of the big 5. But if we had a shot a Jones?

What we need in a gaping kind of way is defense, and Jones is not ony the best, most NHL ready dman in the draft, but of several drafts. He is the kind of mobile but big, shutdown but offensive guy that gets teams into the playoffs year after year, and the lack of which has been a major factor in keeping us out of the playoffs for years.

Put Jones with Faulk, set it and forget it. Top pair done for years.

Yes we are picking early in the second round, and yes there are going to be good players there, but even then that second round pick has at best a 50-50 chance of every playing more than 100 NHL games.

I don't want to give up that pick, but to get a potential multi year Norris kind of guy when that is our biggest need?

It's not a no brainer, but I'd do it.

I lied, 10 more mock drafts up. I'll just put our pick.

-6 say Nichushkin

-3 say Lindholm

-1 says Barkov

Funny how Lindholm is making a comeback of sorts. Back in late January and into February 5 mock drafts in a row had us taking Lindholm, and now his name is creeping in again. Well, it will all be over soon one way or another, should be good/interesting.

This team needs a legit Power Forward and a veteran physical d man. NOt a young d man who may not be NHL ready. If we get Nich or Barkov we're going to be very good. Assuming Cam is ok.

Hey I'd be happy with any of the big 5. But if we had a shot a Jones?

What we need in a gaping kind of way is defense, and Jones is not ony the best, most NHL ready dman in the draft, but of several drafts. He is the kind of mobile but big, shutdown but offensive guy that gets teams into the playoffs year after year, and the lack of which has been a major factor in keeping us out of the playoffs for years.

Put Jones with Faulk, set it and forget it. Top pair done for years.

Yes we are picking early in the second round, and yes there are going to be good players there, but even then that second round pick has at best a 50-50 chance of every playing more than 100 NHL games.

I don't want to give up that pick, but to get a potential multi year Norris kind of guy when that is our biggest need?

It's not a no brainer, but I'd do it.

Fully agree.  

Fully agree with it all.... (except for the last sentence... it really is a no brainer!)

Land Jones!

Hey I bet you guys didn't know this but I want us to draft Nichushkin  :bag:

I have been harping Drouin before the season even ended. I have been murdered on the HF Boards for saying his name. 28 hrs 52 mins until we know...not like im counting or anything :nailbite:

I lied, 10 more mock drafts up. I'll just put our pick.

-6 say Nichushkin

-3 say Lindholm

-1 says Barkov

Funny how Lindholm is making a comeback of sorts. Back in late January and into February 5 mock drafts in a row had us taking Lindholm, and now his name is creeping in again. Well, it will all be over soon one way or another, should be good/interesting.

I for one would not be happy about drafting Lindholm #5.  

Why?  He slots more 7-10, as he's a C prospect who isn't a lock to be NHL ready.

Getting close!!

As Kyrule has pointed out there have been an onslaught of mock drafts. The real bolus began 6/25 about 4 days ago. Since then there have been 30 mock drafts compiled on dc sports. 

The trend over the last day or two has been a continued plurality (but not majority) for Nich, with Lindholm appearing suddenly more, and Nurse and Monahan less.

Our own local Bubba likes Monahan, but of 30 mocks only two others agree. 

Here is the percentages over the 30 mocks:

Nich     47%   (the first of the top 5 not a full majority, MacKinnon,Drouin, Jones, Barkov all predicted in slots by 70-80%)

Lind     17%    (has moved past Nurse as the #2, at 33% of the most recent 12 mocks)

Nurse   13%   (none of the 17 most recent mocks)

Barkov  10%  (all have Nich going ahead of us)

Monah  10%   (Lindholm has the last 4 in a row over him)

Drouin    3%    (again Nich goes early and all dominos fall just right)

Jones     0%   (anything can happen, but to grab Jones, mostly likely have to trade up)

MacKin  0%    (really is zero)

13% see Nich going 3 or 4 ahead of us and leaving Barov, or Drouin.

Few if any try to predict trades.

The lastest mock is by Hockey Prospectus and I think they got it right:

There is a "big five" of sorts in this draft, comprised of Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Nichushkin, and Barkov, although some scouts would group it at four (the three CHLers, and one of Barkov or Nichushkin). Carolina likely takes whichever of the "big five" is left at this pick, although CBC's Elliotte Friedman has reported this selection is very much on the trading block. Chip Alexander of the Raleigh News & Observer has reported that if Carolina's target is taken by the fifth pick, there is a good chance that they will trade down. I have heard they are interested in Nichushkin, but regardless who selects here, it likely will be the last remaining member of the "big five."

Edited by remkin

Since there's only a little over a day left, here are my choices, if I was just considering who I think we "should" take if they are there at #5:

1. Jones, a no brainer if he's there.  I say there's little chance he's there, but it's not impossible.  You don't pass on a Pronger again.

2. Barkov, he's a big tank 17-year old who dominated in a men's league.  He's a center, but plays wing, so he's versatile.  Center is the more valuable position on a team with hardly any prospect depth.  He speaks Russian, and he has hockey bloodlines.

3a. Nichuskin.  This was tough for me.  Biggest risk reward scenario.  But, maybe it's time to go out of our comfort zone.  We need help now.  So many reasons to shy away here, but given our needs for another big, power forward it trumps the safer bet long-term in either Monahan or Lindholm.  He could potentially be a top-6 winger his whole career.  Same agent as Semin, etc.  Although, I'd always be looking over my shoulder, so to speak if we drafted him.

3b.  Monahan.  No need to go in detail here based upon my previous posts. Just because he's not flashy doesn't mean he isn't good.  He will go early.

3c.  Lindholm.  I really don't see much difference here between Monahan and Lindholm.  I would trust the team's decision here.  The team profile was glowing on this kid, so......

4. Drouin.  I have no idea if the Canes would go Drouin over Nichuskin, Monahan or Lindholm, but we need to get bigger and tougher, not smaller and shiftier.  Doesn't mean I wouldn't be excited to see him as a Cane.  I think it will get very interesting if Drouin is there at #5.

Edit:  I didn't include MacKinnon, I think that's pretty much a given he won't fall to 5.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Well put Coastal. Can't argue with any of that except tough to pass on Drouin to take Monahan or Lidholm at 5. If Drouin is there and JR really wants Monahan or Lidholm, he might be able to pick up a top second rounder in a trade down.

Thanks Remkin for summing things up, well done.

I for one would not be happy about drafting Lindholm #5.  

Why?  He slots more 7-10, as he's a C prospect who isn't a lock to be NHL ready.

I fully understand how others wouldn't be as excited with Lindholm. I just have a thing for highly competitive, high-motor, smart, two way-players who can skate. The "high-motor" part is what sets him apart IMO, skilled players who never stop skating are hard to find. As one scout said "he is always in the gut of the action...he never quits."

I think others drafted around him may become bigger "names", but I think Lindholm will develop into a guy that helps you win by doing more than scoring. I think there is a chance that he develops into a Zetterberg type player, and as I said those are my favorite types of players. I think Carolina needs a "never takes a shift off" type of player more than a skill guy, but that's just me. That's not to say Lindholm doesn't have skill, obviously he does. As for not being NHL ready, he may need another year but remember he produced well in the best men's league in Sweden.

Still, as with any prospect he could disappoint. His offense may not translate to the NHL, but again that goes for any player. Still, I think he is one of the safer picks because of the attributes he already possesses. My gut tells me he is going to become one of those guys that you want on the ice when the game is on the line, offensively or defensively. I understand how others would feel differently though, or have their own players they like.

As a side note, a Bleacher Report article suggests that the Flyers should ask Edmonton or Carolina for their 1st round pick straight-up for Coburn.

What!!! This guy seriously needs to lay off the hard stuff...

Personally, I think Barkov is "our" guy and the player who JR was referring to potentially being off the board and a scenario that could result in a trade down.

Nice summary on Lindholm Kyrule.  I was looking over his info again this morning and your comments came up over and over again.  He's certainly growing on me.  The Canes have leaned to Sweden in the recent past for later round prospects also.

Yeah, Rem, I hear you on Drouin.  Like I said, that's really going to be a tough call for the Canes if he is there.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Haha.... If I were the Flyers I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. As long as they are ready to join in the laugh. Coburn for our #5. (chuckle..chuckle)