The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

Personally, I think Barkov is "our" guy and the player who JR was referring to potentially being off the board and a scenario that could result in a trade down.

Nice summary on Lindholm Kyrule.  I was looking over his info again this morning and your comments came up over and over again.  He's certainly growing on me.  The Canes have leaned to Sweden in the recent past for later round prospects also.

Yeah, Rem, I hear you on Drouin.  Like I said, that's really going to be a tough call for the Canes if he is there.

Thanks Coastal, and I pretty much agree with everything you said, particularly about the "stepping out of our comfort zone" comment concerning Nichushkin. This is where I keep swinging back and forth. I don't want us to mess this up (go with safer pick), but I am tired of never having superstar(s) players here. As many authors have said about Nichushkin, drafting him is like "swinging for the fences." I just can't decide.

I have been too much of a coward to put up my final wish-list for forward, but here it goes:

1. Barkov

2. Lindholm

3. Nichushkin

4. Monahan

5. Drouin

Nichushkin and Lindholm keep swapping for me for the reason stated above. I excluded MacKinnon as well, and I haven't looked into Jones enough to form an opinion. Still, if he is there we probably have to take him, he does look like a unique talent. Also, this is no disrespect to Monahan or Drouin, I will fully support whoever we pick and I would be excited to have either player here.

The amazing thing to me is the lack of love for Drouin (and not just here) by Canes fans, other sites/fans would probably think we are crazy or stupid (or both). For those who are not Canes fans, they are probably oblivious to our frustration over small, skilled forwards not panning out as anticipated.

Anyway, now that this is almost over I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their opinions and insight. I have been ill so discussing this stuff really helps pass the time/takes my mind off of things (sorry for the long posts). I have enjoyed it, and this is the first time I have even remotely studied the draft so I can't wait until tomorrow. Remember the NHL network kicks things off tonight with a scouting combine review and mock draft show.

Thanks again.

Sorry I don't have links, been reading on different sites and I'm at work on my phone now, shh. Read that Lindholm has a contract and will play one more year overseas, and also that Barkov has to serve a year in Finnish army. Anyone else heard this?

Personally, I think Barkov is "our" guy and the player who JR was referring to potentially being off the board and a scenario that could result in a trade down.

Nice summary on Lindholm Kyrule.  I was looking over his info again this morning and your comments came up over and over again.  He's certainly growing on me.  The Canes have leaned to Sweden in the recent past for later round prospects also.

Yeah, Rem, I hear you on Drouin.  Like I said, that's really going to be a tough call for the Canes if he is there.

That Barkov is our guy is interesting. It really makes the most sense, when you think about the "if he's still there" scenarios, and yet everything I read puts Nich as that guy. 

I doubt Barkov is there, but what a great pick he'd be, and we could count on one hand the mock drafters who predicted it.

Edit: scratch all that if WTFaulk is right about the Finnish Army thing. JR wants someone on the ice this year.

Edited by remkin

Nothing was mentioned in the Canes profile about any Army committment that might keep Barkov in Europe.  Our profile said on two occasions that he could be in the lineup next year and make an impact.  So, I don't think that's a concern.

I have been harping Drouin before the season even ended. I have been murdered on ...... for saying his name. 28 hrs 52 mins until we know...not like im counting or anything :nailbite:

I have been counting since the end of the season :P

And I really really really hope we don't move the fifth for Brayden Coburn. Really really. Really.

Sorry to pick at a sore spot again (if it is still one): Anyone still glad we picked up those late season pride points landing us in 5th? Instead of talking about "if available", we could be talking about either Barkov or Drouin. Big difference.

Anyway, so pumped for tomorrow!

Edited by Bing_Chow

Article on NHL draft site (posted today I believe) had Barkov saying that his shoulder recovery will be the deciding factor as to whether or not he plays in NHL next year. He "still can't shoot pucks" at this point but he is skating and stick-handling. I guess he is saying that if recovery affects availability, he will just take his time and play in Finland next season. He said that playing in the NHL is his "one goal in life now."

Sucka, I agree 100% with this sentiment! Should JR be swayed a 2nd year by this, I personally would all faith in his abilities, which up to now, I have admired. Further, i'd like to add my 2 cents to this discussion.

1st, I am hughly in the Nichushkin camp. Listening to the John Forsland report yesterday(only caught part of it on way home), I feel he is right when he says "you have to swing for the fences sometimes". I think that this is our time! Would I be sad if we chose either Barkov or Monohan, no, but Nich is my preference.

2nd, and this is not concerning this draft, I've been greatly amused at the back and forth debate concerning J Staal. Granted he did not perform as some on these forums would have liked, but his ultimate value goes beyond points, plus/minuses or any other concrete parameters that one wants to critisize him over. How many years have I seen criticism about Eric's slow starts? I venture to say, since he entered the NHL! Something changed this year. Surely, it could have been the addition of that skilled winger that many have always wanted for him. On the other hand, could Jordan's presence have been the catalyst that Eric has needed?

I for one have loved Jordan's addition to this team and feel, as multiple others have echoed, that we are greatly better with him on this team, and further think that there will be hugh benefits when he has time to settle in and have complementary wingers to play with. I am reminded that when anyone of us changes jobs, that it takes quite awhile to settle in to the new surroundings. The large salary he commands does not make him any different from us "average people".

Finally, I'm planning to make it a day tommorrow, and journey to Raleigh for the Draft Party at Rudino's. All our questions will be answered in less than 24hrs.                                                                                         GO CANES

Let me start off by saying that I'm just looking at numbers; I haven't seen any of the prospects myself. Having said that, I don't understand the concerns that have been mentioned about Drouin's size. Perhaps people meant playing style more so than physical size?  Granted, he's gong to fill in with age, but Nich at 6'4" 196 lbs. seems like he'd be as (or more) prone to being pushed around by big NHL defensemen right now as Drouin at 5'11" 185 lbs. 

From ESPNs top ten prospect list (Sonier):
MacKinnon    9/1/95   6-0    182
Drouin         3/28/95   5-11   185
Jones          10/3/94   6-3.5   210
Barkov          9/2/95    6-2     205
Lindholm   12/02/94   5-11    181
Nichushkin    3/4/95    6-4     196
Monahan   10/12/94   6-2     186

Zadorov       4/16/95   6-5     230

Ristolainen 10/27/94   6-3    185

Domi              3/2/95    5-9    193
Edited by LakeLivin

For me, and given the realignment, I hope we continue to add size + skill.  If a guy is there at #5 who brings size, a physical game plus he has skill, I have him over Drouin.  It's really no reflection on Drouin, but it comes down to a team need.  I happen to think we need to get a little tougher to play against.  Big bodies with skill help.

From ESPNs top ten prospect list (Sonier):
MacKinnon    9/1/95   6-0    182
Drouin         3/28/95   5-11   185
Jones          10/3/94   6-3.5   210
Barkov          9/2/95    6-2     205
Lindholm   12/02/94   5-11    181
Nichushkin    3/4/95    6-4     196
Monahan   10/12/94   6-2     186

Zadorov       4/16/95   6-5     230

Ristolainen 10/27/94   6-3    185

Domi              3/2/95    5-9    193

Is interesting that Lindholm is no bigger than Drouin, yet for some reason Drouin gets the size stuff.

Basically, as far as size goes Drouin = Lindholm = MacKinnon.

Here's a different question:  6-4 196 (Nichushkin) and 6-2 186 (Monahan) actually seem kind of thin to me.  Realistically, will both need to fill out some before being able to withstand the rigors of the NHL on a regular basis?  And if so, do you trust that they'll do so in time to give you significant minutes next season?  Does that at all factor into who you pick?  Guess we'll see tomorrow :thumbsup: .
Edited by LakeLivin

Is interesting that Lindholm is no bigger than Drouin, yet for some reason Drouin gets the size stuff.

I wonder if it's due to stereotyping associated with exceptional puck handling skills . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

NHL Draft War Room: Carolina Hurricanes

by THW's East Coast bird dog, E-Mac.

Link

He provided the following:

• Major Needs
  • Likely Draft Positions and Potential Picks for each and every pick
  • The Major Team Decision Makers
  • The Big Club – Current Roster
  • Top 10 Prospects
  • The Last Three Drafts

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was The Next Ones 2013 NHL Entry Draft Guide.

THW's Official Draft Guide is now live on The Hockey Writers - all free. Bookmark and check back often as this is a "live" article that is continually updated with new articles as our team of "prospect profilers" churn out articles on the draft and your favourite team's prospects.

*New easy prospect finder: 2013 NHL Draft Prospect Index

Prototype Sample Profiles:

Nathan MacKinnon Draft Profile

Seth Jones Draft Profile

Jonathan Drouin Draft Profile

What you'll find:

Twas the night before the draft...

Anyone in the "fab 5" I would love to see on the Canes. I think I'd be pretty diasappointed if we dont stay at 5.

Drouin was just recently quoted as saying "I don't go out and hit people, I play a smart game." Lindholm is said to throw his body around when it is needed. Lindholm also showed good strength at the combine. Lindholm is usually listed at 6 foot. I think what it comes down to is that Drouin is not a physical player, but he is extremely skilled. Lindholm is a little grittier/doesn't shy away from contact and is maybe a bit stronger. It will be interesting to see how they fill out though.

From The Hockey Writers (listed at 6'0 192.lbs):

"He doesn’t rely on size or brute strength to get plays made, although he’s got a big enough frame that he can create holes if needed...a gifted playmaker who doesn’t avoid the traffic and who can be quite physical."

From Hockey Prospectus:

"As with most young players, he needs to continue to get stronger. That said, he is fairly firm on the puck, and he can muscle players off of it defensively as well. He is a tad undersized, and that is his one notable weakness.”

So in short (no pun intended), he is a smaller player (not sure 6 foot and around 185-190.lbs at 18 years old is small) who plays bigger than he is.

Edited by Kyrule

Well its finally draft day.  Im starting to really think more and more that JR is going to move down in the draft.  He definately has a bunch of offers.  I have a good feeling that some team is going to overpay enough for JR to trade our #5 pick.     

Its looking like we may be working on a deal with Toronto. I am not sure I like that going all the way to the 21st pick??? We better get something good!

If we could get Dion Phaneuf, that would make my year.

You are kidding,right? A few years ago, I'd have been estatic, but with age and reputed locker room problems, all he seems to be now is a "heavy shot from the point". Certainly if they are talking to Toronto, I'd hope it would be for someone else.

'

Phaneuf is everything this team needs. He hits, blocks, can score, young. I'm not seeing a downside here as far as his abilities. Semin was an alleged cancer, that worked out just fine for us.

If all Toronto wants is our 5th pick, you can't say no. Throw mcbain in, and I'd say its the best deal JR ever made.

Edited by PenaltyKiller17