The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

Finally the day. I'll be at work during this thing but peaking in as much as possible.

This AM on XM hockey prospects both guys listing their top 30. Both put Monahan at #5. Both had concerns about Nich and dropped him down some mainly for not playing a full 60 minutes. Both said any of the top 4 could go #1 in theory. Both liked Lindholm calling him a safe pick. Both had Nurse down middle of the pack first round. 

If JR is not sold on Nich then how sold is he on Monahan? 

Trading down seems more likely this year than ever, but the right deal needs to materialize. Will it?

If talking to Toronto, I'd attempt to get O'Byrne or possibly Franson rather than Pheneuf. Altho he's not as old as I thought, I still seem to recall some lockerroom issues??

Finally the day. ....

Trading down seems more likely this year than ever, but the right deal needs to materialize. Will it?

JR can sit back until the last moments.  Sounds like he's going to trade down, but who knows how far.

There hasn't been too much talk about our 2nd round pick lately.  There is a chance the Canes can get a very good defender from that pick.  

I'm uneasy about JR under pressure if the clock is involved.  I think he was taken last year by Shero.

Edited by Manwolf

JR can sit back until the last moments. Sounds like he's going to trade down, but who knows how far.

There hasn't been too much talk about our 2nd round pick lately. There is a chance the Canes can get a very good defender from that pick.

I'm uneasy about JR under pressure if the clock is involved. I think he was taken last year by Shero.

They said that trade happened before the draft started, not as we were on the clock like it may have seemed. Besides, JR specifically targeted Jordan. I don't think he's targeting a particular player, just seeing if he can get a sweetheart deal.

According to Drager,

"Carolina has 3 offers for the 5th pick and expects to have 5 or 6 trade options to consider. Decision likely just before first selection.."

"Leafs and Canes have talked about 5th overall. Might cost Toronto Morgan Rielly as part of a package. Not close, but discussed. #TSN"

We don't need no prospects, we need experience. It better be Phaneuf and Reilly.

Pierre Lebrun,

"While Carolina covets a top-4 blue-liner, am told the Canes are not interested in Alex Edler."

Elder would not be welcomed by Carolina fans, particularly me.

I so agree!!!!!!! and with no South-Least to play in next season, there is no time for prospects.. Need some serious wheeling and dealing today for immediate impact players....

They said that trade happened before the draft started, not as we were on the clock like it may have seemed. Besides, JR specifically targeted Jordan. I don't think he's targeting a particular player, just seeing if he can get a sweetheart deal.

I know that trade happened before Canes were on the clock.  It was agreed to after breakfast that day.  All has pretty much been said about the deal over the last year, and time will tell.

I still worry about JR getting the maximum out of a time bound situation, even at this very moment with hours to go.  IMO he's done better when having more time to craft deals.

Sorry to pick at a sore spot again (if it is still one): Anyone still glad we picked up those late season pride points landing us in 5th? Instead of talking about "if available", we could be talking about either Barkov or Drouin. Big difference.

It remains a sore spot for me (but yes, total mute point now).

Its just another case why following most of John and Tripp's comments should be left for the naive. 

Those two last wins meant next to nothing for the future of this franchise!

(two less wins and we'd have the 1st or 2nd overall pick right now).

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

I said it before but IMO playing to lose makes you a loser. There is no reward big enough for a team that lays down. We are in a really good place with the 5th overall.

No real fan would ever want their team playing to lose.  Nor would any Coach allow their team to do that.  Too many guys playing for work for the next season,let alone the pride these guys all have. An organization that would support that would never have any players consider heading there in the future.

It remains a sore spot for me (but yes, total mute point now).

Its just another case why following most of John and Tripp's comments should be left for the naive. 

Those two last wins meant next to nothing for the future of this franchise!

(two less wins and we'd have the 1st or 2nd overall pick right now).

I can't believe people are still arguing this. They are professional athletes and the coach isn't going to run them out and tell them to lose. They couldn't gut the Checkers roster because they were playing meaningful games.

That, and it's "moot point" not "mute point".

Well, for any of us (like me) holding out a very slim hope the Canes would somehow land Seth Jones, I think its now safe to say the odds are basically ZERO .... the Carolina brain trust canceled its meeting the other night with Seth Jones, according to TSN.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/

scroll down a bit and there is a part about us...

It says Tyler Myers... now they do not specify but will we be getting Buffalo's 1st in return along with Myers? If so I think it would be a great deal

Also on the link, notice Burmistrov most likely heading back to Russia...

Now I know Nichushkin is a different player, but the Russian factor, Burmistrov was once a top prospect as well. Do we take the risk?

Edited by CardiacCaniac

So many possibilites. I think JR knows that if he doesn't use the draft to work on the defense he is going to have to trade a real asset (Skinner, Ruutu) to do it. There are questions about Nich and I don't think JR likes having a guy who can bolt if he isn't happy (the Babchuk debacle still smarts). Not sure how that interview went, but it it was not specacular....

Despite saying he won't trade up, if Jones is at three an our second rounder gets it done...

If he picks 5 I would give the slight nod to Monahan or Lindholm, w/ Monahan more likely, and Nich at about 40%.

Trading down could fix a lot fast and JR is a value guy and if someone overpays.....

I think he waits to see what plays out but wants to trade down w/ an overpay coming our way if he had his choice.

But I really have no idea....

So crazy!

Edited by remkin

Tyler Myers is interesting.  He has been bad recently but he was also rookie of the year in 2010.  He's 6'8" and is only 23 years old.  Has the potential to be great but hasn't shown it recently.  Maybe a chance of scenery is what he needs?

I think we'd be big winners if the trade was 5 for 8+Myers but I have a feeling we'd throw something else in there.

Edited by TheFaulker

Tyler Myers is interesting.  He has been bad recently but he was also rookie of the year in 2010.  He's 6'8" and is only 23 years old.  Has the potential to be great but hasn't shown it recently.  Maybe a chance of scenery is what he needs?

I think we'd be big winners if the trade was 5 for 8+Myers but I have a feeling we'd throw something else in there.

McBain? Oh please, oh please.

Myers is also making 5.5mil per year for the next 6 years.

That's a risky trade to make considering how he's played recently.  Maybe we could get Buffalo to eat some of that if we threw in McBain.

Despite saying he won't trade up, if Jones is at three an our second rounder gets it done...

rem, despite us both still hoping we somehow get Jones, its basically zero chance...   repeating...   the Carolina brain trust canceled its meeting the other night with Seth Jones (according to TSN).    If that is not writing on the wall, I don't know what is.