The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

This defense needs a complete overhaul, and a guy like Jones could free up cap space by making others expendable, which we could really use next year.

I think Jones is a real long shot, but there are a couple of other guys out there that could help next year.  Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov could all help.  I really, really like Nichuskin but there is the Russian factor.  But gosh, the kid is 17 years old and producing in the second best league in the world.  He's insane.

Tonight's loss against the Caps is getting the Canes closer to 3rd from the bottom, which would mean 14% chance of the number #1 pick.  Everyone cheer for Florida and Calgary.  (I think Colorado has last sewn up.)

Woo hoo!

Edited by wxray1

At this point the most ironic thing would be for this team to suddenly rip off a winning streak and get the 14 pick. It's happened before.

It is painful watching a team that seems competitive but just can't seem to win, but at this point we dang well better get an elite pick. We traded #8 last year, we need our pick this year and the higher the better. 

Most years the top 2 picks are automatic. There have been very very few busts and most have turned into excellent players. 

Keep playing decently. Keep losing. Except tomorrow since I'll be there, oh and the 23rd, but lose the rest. But play well!

Colorado, Florida, and Calgary are pretty bad and making a serious run for the bottom, but we are currently 2 points from last, though Colorado has a game played on us. 

A true super stud dman can have a powerful effect on a team for a long time. Lidstrom, Chara, Pronger, etc. It's not enough, but it is exactly what we have not had. Also it is almost impossible to come by in FA. A few more losses for Jones would be so worth it. This debacle is going to be bad no matter what happens from hear on out. 

We are now -26, but we used to be plus. What a fall.

I agree, at this point if losing out means a real shot at the first overall pick and getting Jones which would be monumental to this team. The few guys we've taken in the top 3: Eric Staal (2nd), A. Ladd (3). Both are solid NHL players, stars on their team, and captains.

Just to put it here also:

MacKinnon and Drouin are dazzling can't miss guys at 2 and 3 most likely. 

Love to get Jones, but if we pick in the top 3 we are going to get a special player.

Just to put it here also:

MacKinnon and Drouin are dazzling can't miss guys at 2 and 3 most likely. 

Love to get Jones, but if we pick in the top 3 we are going to get a special player.

Oh yea, fully agree!!!  

In order for us to ensure we get one of the top-3 we must finish in the bottom two in the NHL (due to lottery).  The Flames won last night, so that's  good news!!!!!

Finishing bottom-2 could easily happen, but realistically, we can't win more than 1 or 2 the rest of the way.

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

The NHL draft lottery this year will make it possible for any non-playoff team (or a team that acquires the pick via trade) to land the top pick. As a result, the last-place finisher will have less of a chance to pick first.

I have watched alot of video and I want to see us ger Drouin. I could get see him on the line with J. Staal Skinner. He makes things happen with the puck and omg that would be a killer second line!

I have watched alot of video and I want to see us ger Drouin. I could get see him on the line with J. Staal Skinner. He makes things happen with the puck and omg that would be a killer second line!

Drouin does have some sick moves.  But he also BATTLES for pucks.  I would take him over MacKinnon I believe.  That being said, those 3 are NHLers next year.

What would you guys do if we somehow won the lottery and Rutherford traded the pick for Marc Staal. LOL :bangHead:

He'd also give up Jeff Skinner and Murphy for Marc.

I was thinking and I feel like as long as we get into the top 3 we're good. I really do want that top dman in Jones finally, but at the same time it would be nice to have either Mackinnon or Drouin playing with Skinner and Staal on that 2nd line. I mean either way we have a hole to fill. If we do get Jones, then that 2nd line winger spot is left unfilled again. But if we get the top 6 filled then our defence is left incomplete again.

I was thinking and I feel like as long as we get into the top 3 we're good. ....

Agree. But to ensure a top-3 pick we must finish last or 2nd to last in the NHL reg-season standings.

Related:  Great news tonight -- the FLAMES won again!!!

So, as of right now the Canes move into 3rd from last place.  

Still, watch out for Nashville, they're "gaining" fast on us, COL and FL.  And, we still need to move down at least one spot to guarantee a top-3 draft pick.

On the "bright side" as of right now, we have a 14.2% chance at the #1 overall pick. 

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Canes continue to get token points when a loss helps us much more. Its looking increasingly likely that we will get outside the top 3, which sucks. I don't see Colorado winning 2 more games. Florida has last place all but locked up. Honestly, we should sit our top line and give minutes to some AHL guys. Time to evaluate players who may replace Larose, Brent, Mcbain, etc.

Far be it for me of all people to say this, but there are some very very good guys for us in the top 6 even. 

Nichushkin is big and talented with ISS having him ranked #2 in March. 

This is from a write up on prospects on LWS by Ben Kerr:

"Nichushkin has a great combination of size and skill.  At 6’04, he is a big and powerful forward, who is extremely hard to stop when he decides that he is going to take the puck to the net.  He has great stickhandling ability and puck possession skill, allowing him to also add a skilled finesse game to that  package of raw power.  Add to that excellent vision and playmaking skills, and a real nose for the net, and you have a complete offensive package.  Nichushkin’s size also makes him strong along the boards, effective on the forecheck, and a difficult man to move from the front of the net..."

..His playing style reminds us of Rick Nash and this is one case where the playing style and potential line up, as we can see him being a similar level of elite winger."

Downside is the Russian and KHL factor as he is signed through next season in the KHL. 

On the back end there are two non Seth Jones guys that will likely be top pairing defensive guys:

Darnell Nurse has climbed a bit as he was projected to need to work on offense, but has been producing serious offense. He is 6'4" and very physical. He is going to be a beast if he puts on some weight.

A smooth-skating, hard-hitting blueliner with great size. 

He was ranked a bit lower by some and earlier in the year but popping into the top 5 on some mock drafts lately.

The other is Rasmus Ristolainen. Also a big physical guy: 6'3". 

An 6-3 210 pound 18 year old who already plays with grown men usually makes scouts drool, and Rasmus Ristolainen is no exception. Already playing in the SM-Liiga (the Finnish Elite League), Ristolainen is already getting accustomed to playing tough competition, and he hasn’t been a pushover. Actually far from one.

Ristolainen is eerily similar to Seth Jones in some aspects, including size, skating ability and offensive playmaking. He is less polished in the two-way game than Jones, all though he plays a much more noticeable physical game, with it being one of his bigger strengths. Ristolainen molds his game to the of Chris Pronger, and the comparisons fit here.

Getting into the top 3 puts us in the can't miss category, but there are some seriously talented guys in the top 7 or so. 

Looking at the trends, nearly all the teams in the race for the bottom are serious about losing. 

This is why we need to keep losing. Not just to have a shot at the can't miss top 3, but to make sure we don't drop down the board even further. Go look at NHL.com standings and put in league. On the far right is teams streaks and last 10. There is some serious losing going on there. If we go on a big winning run, we could actually move from #2 to #9. 

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Every team realizes the goal if playoffs aren't attainable....long losing streaks. Honestly, I wouldn't mind trading Pitkanen for a 1st rd pick if we could swing it. This draft looks a lot like 2003 and the more picks the better. Calgary and Columbus are sitting pretty. I used to think Ruutu was also trade bait but I've changed my mind. He brings an element of physicality we are lacking among forwards. 5M is a lot of money but he's top 6 talent.

What wil be interesting is what we do if we end up picking in the 6-8 range. We need a defensemen but I believe you take the best player available. Also, JR went on record a few years ago saying that he doesn't like to draft defensemen early because they take longer to develop, and often by the time they do they end up signing somewhare else. Will be interesting to see how he approaches things if the best players available around our pick are a mix of forwards and defensemen with no obvious standout. Does he go against his reluctance to draft a defenseman to address team needs, or does he stick with his philosophy and draft a skilled forward. I think the players NHL readiness will be a factor, I am not sure he will draft a guy that may take years to develop, I think he will go for someone with a more immediate impact. Whether that is the right approach is debatable, plus I may be completely wrong and we draft a guy who will not be ready for years. I also believe he will take our lack of physicality into account as we move to a new division. Or maybe I am just being hopeful... 

.....Also, JR went on record a few years ago saying that he doesn't like to draft defensemen early because they take longer to develop, and often by the time they do they end up signing somewhare else. ...

Now think about this.  They take too long to develop, and then they're too expensive when they're ready.  Eureka!  That is how we got to where we are.  None of the above!

JR went on record a few years ago saying that he doesn't like to draft defensemen early because they take longer to develop, 

Then he went out in the first round and drafted D Ryan Murphy... someone that was in no way ready to jump to the NHL.

I used to be a JR fan (cup hang-over), not any more. The more I dig into this team, and not just on-ice stuff, the less I'm impressed with him.

Then he went out in the first round and drafted D Ryan Murphy... someone that was in no way ready to jump to the NHL.

I used to be a JR fan (cup hang-over), not any more. The more I dig into this team, and not just on-ice stuff, the less I'm impressed with him.

I don't know Smurf looked close to NHL ready to me in his brief time here this year. The guy has a ton of skill. The Chex are using him on their PP now. He can move the puck, he can shoot and his D play isn't that bad. He just got his first point in 2 games. He does need to put on some weight but I wouldn't give JR a failing grade on this pick.

I thought Murphy looked decent (in the neutral and attacking zones) too, but that's missing the point....

RM was drafted in the 2011 draft and he's still  only "close."

This doesn't jive with JR's stated mindset of avoiding d-men in the draft.

Speaking of Murphy, JR himself said this summer.... it would not benefit Murphy's development to stay in the OHL this year.  Yet, that's exactly where they left him despite the Canes needing a point-guard for the power play. Connecting the dots really left me wondering about what "they" really think about Murphy. Again, as a fan, I agree, he looked pretty good.

In any case, landing Seth Jones would change all this... they say he's going to be ready 20-games in, if not sooner.

Far be it for me of all people to say this, but there are some very very good guys for us in the top 6 even. 

Nichushkin is big and talented with ISS having him ranked #2 in March. 

This is from a write up on prospects on LWS by Ben Kerr:

"Nichushkin has a great combination of size and skill.  At 6’04, he is a big and powerful forward, who is extremely hard to stop when he decides that he is going to take the puck to the net.  He has great stickhandling ability and puck possession skill, allowing him to also add a skilled finesse game to that  package of raw power.  Add to that excellent vision and playmaking skills, and a real nose for the net, and you have a complete offensive package.  Nichushkin’s size also makes him strong along the boards, effective on the forecheck, and a difficult man to move from the front of the net..."

..His playing style reminds us of Rick Nash and this is one case where the playing style and potential line up, as we can see him being a similar level of elite winger."

Downside is the Russian and KHL factor as he is signed through next season in the KHL. 

On the back end there are two non Seth Jones guys that will likely be top pairing defensive guys:

Darnell Nurse has climbed a bit as he was projected to need to work on offense, but has been producing serious offense. He is 6'4" and very physical. He is going to be a beast if he puts on some weight.

A smooth-skating, hard-hitting blueliner with great size. 

He was ranked a bit lower by some and earlier in the year but popping into the top 5 on some mock drafts lately.

The other is Rasmus Ristolainen. Also a big physical guy: 6'3". 

An 6-3 210 pound 18 year old who already plays with grown men usually makes scouts drool, and Rasmus Ristolainen is no exception. Already playing in the SM-Liiga (the Finnish Elite League), Ristolainen is already getting accustomed to playing tough competition, and he hasn’t been a pushover. Actually far from one.

Ristolainen is eerily similar to Seth Jones in some aspects, including size, skating ability and offensive playmaking. He is less polished in the two-way game than Jones, all though he plays a much more noticeable physical game, with it being one of his bigger strengths. Ristolainen molds his game to the of Chris Pronger, and the comparisons fit here.

Getting into the top 3 puts us in the can't miss category, but there are some seriously talented guys in the top 7 or so. 

Looking at the trends, nearly all the teams in the race for the bottom are serious about losing. 

This is why we need to keep losing. Not just to have a shot at the can't miss top 3, but to make sure we don't drop down the board even further. Go look at NHL.com standings and put in league. On the far right is teams streaks and last 10. There is some serious losing going on there. If we go on a big winning run, we could actually move from #2 to #9. 

Ain't nobody got time for that.

If we end up Top-10 and not Top-3 we'll hope for the best. But the Top-3 really appear to be in another tier.

Think Huberdeau vs R Murphy.

Think John Tavares vs Jared Cowen. 

etc.

Really need that top-3 this year, IMO!

BTW...

A Colorado win and a Canes loss today against Tampa Bay would go a long in helping Carolina get into the bottom-2 league-wide standings. A bottom two showing is the only way (outside of a trade, or getting lucky in the lottery) that the Canes can ensure a top-3 draft pick.

On the flip side, a Canes win tonight would really "set us back" in the race for Jones, Jonathan Drouin or Nathan MacKinnon.
Edited by Greg-N-Ral

I have been shouting this for the last week. It sucks to say your team needs to lose, but these losses this week will gurantee us wins next year. Everyone says you cant say the top 3 will be ready... the last top 3 pick we had was Eric Staal so yes I can say those 3 elite players will instantly make our team better. If we cant get jones I hope we get Druoin! Hes a playmaker that would instantly make us better.