The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

Lindholm was a standout in my eye during this year's World Jrs. More so than Jones. He seemed ultra competitive and always around the puck. Nich was equally impressive,but more solo or on the rush. IMO he's a solid pick, but we'll see.

Edited by Manwolf

Lindholm will be a very good Hurricane for many years.  He is a more skilled version of Brandon Sutter.  Apparently there is something that the fans dont know about Nich because he is falling like a rock. 

If Lindy was their guy, I'm glad that didn't stop them.  Drafting in hockey takes a long term commitment and development of players.

Sorry, I don't mean to be critical, but how has the Canes development of drafted players gone in the last few years? I think the "prospects" in Charlotte have proven they don't have the ability to make a contribution at the NHL level. I really don't see how the fans can hang in there having a good year, and then 4 or 5 years of no playoffs. I think we need a new approach in the front office. JR's plan is not working.

If Lindholm plays next year I wouldn't be mad. It's just saying you're going to do one thing and do the other. Making the players and fans feel like we're going for a win-now approach and then this happens.

Sorry, I don't mean to be critical, but how has the Canes development of drafted players gone in the last few years? I think the "prospects" in Charlotte have proven they don't have the ability to make a contribution at the NHL level. I really don't see how the fans can hang in there having a good year, and then 4 or 5 years of no playoffs. I think we need a new approach in the front office. JR's plan is not working.

I agree. JR's time has to be coming to an end if there aren't major changes done. There is no time for " friends " in professional sports, i don't care how well liked Rutherford is. Francis is the next in line, if we fail to make the playoffs yet again, give him the job.

Now that's a completely different argument. 

It's really quite common in the NHL to draft guys that can't play right away.  JR made a mistake by stating that he was going to pick an impact guy for next season.  Obviously something happened with Nich since he fell like a rock.  Linholm still may get sprung from his current team to play next year.

It's really quite common in the NHL to draft guys that can't play right away.  JR made a mistake by stating that he was going to pick an impact guy for next season.  Obviously something happened with Nich since he fell like a rock.  Linholm still may get sprung from his current team to play next year.

If that is the case then why not take Nurse & start trying to build the D through the draft.

Well, we barely know how good Lindholm is now and what he will be at in a year. Granted, I don't want to wait another year, that's what I've been doing as a 'Canes fan for over half a decade now. If he somehow plays in the NHL this year which I don't know the specifics and if it's even possible then I wouldn't be as mad at JR as I am. Now he still has the next few days for trades and then Free Agency. If he does well and the team makes the playoffs, we wouldn't be talking about firing JR. But, if he same continues then I'd say it's time to go.

Now that's a completely different argument. 

I sure hope that he can play next year. So far, JR hasn't improved the team for next year. Mabye he has a few moves up his sleeve, but with the new division for next year, I'm not too optimistic.

A bit undersized, finesse-type of player. Lindholm plans to play in Sweden next season as he fulfils the last year of his contract with Brynäs IF.

Wow Great! So it that's true, this move (or lack of one) does nothing to help:
1) for this coming season
2) on Defense
3) make us bigger and tougher

Brilliant, just brilliant!!

As this settles down we will be happy with this pick. 

My main frustration is how close we came to Jones. Arggh.

But watching Nich freefall to me meant it was Lindholm, Monahan, or trade down.

But if everyone was so spooked by Nich, why would they over pay to move up and get him? Thus the trade down deal was not sweat enough and it was a pick between Lid and Mono.

Since Monahan is the easy safe biased JR pick, Lindholm must have cleanly beat him out.

Thus given all that we got the right guy.

He will center our third line next year and contribute nicely.

Yea!...we just drafted a third line center....safe pick...I guess, but not excited about this pick. Would have rather see them start trying to rebuild the D with Nurse, or Ristolainen.

Ugh, lots of defensemen going since our pick.  I hope that we did not miss out on all of the decent impact players available at D.  At this rate, it will be mostly forwards left going into the remaining rounds.

I hope that JR knows what he is doing...

I would say he is the third line center in the way Skinner was. He will get that third line to be a threat right away. Eventually he might move to second line wing or some other reshuffle. He may not be a #1 pick guy, but this guy has serious talent and plays both ways which is why I see him playing here next year.

I bet JR has that contract issue covered or he would have picked Monahan