The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

i hate this pick .  i have nothing against lindholm as a player , he is a top 8 or 9 solid pick ,. but to not go for nichushkin when he was right there .  is one of the biggest mistakes the canes  have done  i have ever seen, much worse then bringing in kaberle  . seriously guys  . you can't get anymore dumb .  nichushkin wants to play in the nhl , he ripped his contract with the khl .  why would a guy do that ? its because he wanted to come in and be a big asset to his team .  and what did rutherford do ? herp a derp  lets draft lindholm  herp a derp .   and people wonder why the canes have not been to the playoffs since 2009  . well herp  a derp rutherford  is the reason why , 

not saying you're wrong, but 4 other GM's also passed on Nich

of course dude , they were going to be selected at where they were , and i still find it surprising that jones sled to 4th , but makes sense with barkov  going to florida , cause if jone had gone to colorado , the panthers would of selected mackinnon ,  drouin was shoe horned  3rd for obvious reasons .  but the idea that the hurricanes could of went with the next best thing  , they thrown it away 

if any thing  , if the canes were wanting lindholm so bad we could of traded down and still picked him up at 8th or 9th .  but did that happen ? nope ! and why ? because rutherford is an idiot ! 

Worst. Pick. Ever. Darnell Nurse was still available, we will playing in a conference 5x tougher than our old one, and we take... a small forward??

I get the whole "He's a boy who is already playing dominantly with men," point, but the Canes taking him under the current circumstances when a defensive stud like Nurse was still available? JR musta lost a bet last night with somebody from the Edmonton contingent.

Very disappointed.

I hope you can be a bit patient with Elias Lindholm in Carolina.
He might be one of the best player you have ever drafted.

Even though he might not be the type of player you would like to have right now, but he has the potential to be one of the leagues best players when he will be in his prime.

I have had the oppertunity to see him play many, many games.

He is a smart player and if you like the skilled game and not just brute force he will give it to you.

if any thing  , if the canes were wanting lindholm so bad we could of traded down and still picked him up at 8th or 9th .  but did that happen ? nope ! and why ? because rutherford is an idiot ! 

Lidholm would not have been there at 8-9.

But you are overreacting.  We picked up a very solid player and the offseason is not over.  Wait until after FA to try and make your final judgements on what the team will look like next season. 

Edited by TheFaulker

Calm down? It's the same story year after year. We're sick of losing. We needed to get bigger and we failed ti do that.

EXACTLY !!!  

6'4 nichushkin , skates circles around seth jones and scores goals ,  

vs 

6'0 lindholm  , barely skates well ,  barely able to give a shot . 

rutherfords thinking , how can i continue to make the canes lose every year , oh i know !!!

I'm willing to wait and watch. I was thinking we would take Monahan but I'm not disappointed with Lindholm. I think he has a good shot at making the Canes roster.

Lindholm is a VERY good defensive forward.  His hockey sense is insanely good as well. He also played heavy minutes.  (There were concerns that Nich didn't have enough on-ice experience heading into today's draft). And I don't know where you heard/saw that he can't skate but Lindholm is an exceptional skater.  He is also labeled as having a very strong work ethic.  He will be a nice fit for this team.  

Edited by TheFaulker

of course dude , they were going to be selected at where they were , and i still find it surprising that jones sled to 4th , but makes sense with barkov  going to florida , cause if jone had gone to colorado , the panthers would of selected mackinnon ,  drouin was shoe horned  3rd for obvious reasons .  but the idea that the hurricanes could of went with the next best thing  , they thrown it away 

That's funny, because TSN (among others) had Lindholm ranked better than Nichushkin. No way was Lindholm making it to #8 or #9. JR tried to trade down and the only offers were for forwards and a pick further down the draft.

Nichushkin said he won't play in AHL, only in KHL. The word "attitude problem" was used by one interviewer when describing Nichushkin. Consistency has been said to be a concern. He showed poorly at combine. Other GM's passed on Nichushkin so obviously there are issues/concerns.

Lindholm is seen as one of the most complete players in the draft. His exceptional work ethic has been stated numerous times. He had a good combine. He is said to be a character player who will do what is asked. Against men Lindholm has actually been more productive. When he was picked the term "no weaknesses" came up several times. It was commented about his physicality so his smaller size is offset somewhat.

I would have supported whoever we drafted, it just happens we got the guy I wanted. Its a shame others don't feel the same or are uncivil about it. Time will tell what was the right choice, and I could be wrong, but so could you.

Well, at the Combine there is the bike test video where Nichuskin quits before the time is done. Is that what you want in a player. No surprise to me that he dropped.

JR still needs to fix the defense, and has used valuable currency on Lindholm and not fixed the main problem.

Canes will get a good defender, or should pick Fucale if he's there. A few picks from now we'll find out....

That's funny, because TSN (among others) had Lindholm ranked better than Nichushkin. No way was Lindholm making it to #8 or #9. JR tried to trade down and the only offers were for forwards and a pick further down the draft.

Nichushkin said he won't play in AHL, only in KHL. The word "attitude problem" was used by one interviewer when describing Nichushkin. Consistency has been said to be a concern. He showed poorly at combine. Other GM's passed on Nichushkin so obviously there are issues/concerns.

Lindholm is seen as one of the most complete players in the draft. His exceptional work ethic has been stated numerous times. He had a good combine. He is said to be a character player who will do what is asked. Against men Lindholm has actually been more productive. When he was picked the term "no weaknesses" came up several times. It was commented about his physicality so his smaller size is offset somewhat.

I would have supported whoever we drafted, it just happens we got the guy I wanted. Its a shame others don't feel the same or are uncivil about it. Time will tell what was the right choice, and I could be wrong, but so could you.

well put.

Zykov, Erne, Bowe, Fucale, Santini, Heatherington, and Petan still there.

If we needed offense Petan would be nice put up crazy numbers. But if people are mad about Linholm's size....

EXACTLY !!!  

6'4 nichushkin , skates circles around seth jones and scores goals ,  

vs 

6'0 lindholm  , barely skates well ,  barely able to give a shot . 

rutherfords thinking , how can i continue to make the canes lose every year , oh i know !!!

Barely skates well? You must have knowledge others don't, most comment about how he is a good agile skater. Barely able to give a shot? He scored 11 goals in 40+ games in the Swedish Elite League as a rookie.

I think Muller is going to love Lindholm.  He's the guy Muller always describes when asked what he wants out of a player.  I'm excited to have him.

Good call Kyrule.

Thanks Coastal, now the pressure is on :D.

I am in the positive camp with Lindholm.

“He approaches every shift with a very strong work ethic and doesn’t take any shifts off. He’s smart, he’s skilled and he understands the game.” - Tony MacDonald

Nich dropped from 'possibly/could be first overall' all the way to 'barely in the top-10'.  There is a reason and we might never know the answer (folks need to accept that instead of the alternative - :bangHead: ).  But, like I said in this thread a month or so ago, I'm more conservative with a top 5 pick - I'd take a safe-pick over a gamble-pick every time.  The word on the street was that Nich was off-and-on or inconsistent at times.  On the other hand Lindholm is quite the opposite - a smart, strong work ethic player which sounds more like the kind of player who will fit in with the Muller system.

There weren't any defensemen who were worthy of being selected at the number 5 spot.  JR already stated a long time ago that he wants veteran defensemen.  Drafting one really wasn't an option at number 5.  JR had a couple offers, so we've been told, but nothing that allowed him to have his cake and eat it too.  I'm glad he didn't try to get too fancy and take the risk of missing out on top-5 talent by making a last minute trade.  We just got one of the needed pieces that fills a valuable role in the roster - the 3rd line center.  If he doesn't fit in there, we have the option of moving him into a top-6 forward (RW), freeing up the spot on third to another mufti-positioned player like Ruutu, Skinner, etc.

We need a couple veteran defensemen.  This draft was a bonus for us - our most important needs couldn't have been addressed efficiently with the number-5 pick.  Be happy, people, we just got an elite prospect who probably will be able to plug in to the offense immediately.

That's all I have to say about that...