The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

I am in the positive camp with Lindholm.

Nich dropped from 'possibly/could be first overall' all the way to 'barely in the top-10'.  There is a reason and we might never know the answer (folks need to accept that instead of the alternative - :bangHead: ).  But, like I said in this thread a month or so ago, I'm more conservative with a top 5 pick - I'd take a safe-pick over a gamble-pick every time.  The word on the street was that Nich was off-and-on or inconsistent at times.  On the other hand Lindholm is quite the opposite - a smart, strong work ethic player which sounds more like the kind of player who will fit in with the Muller system.

There weren't any defensemen who were worthy of being selected at the number 5 spot.  JR already stated a long time ago that he wants veteran defensemen.  Drafting one really wasn't an option at number 5.  JR had a couple offers, so we've been told, but nothing that allowed him to have his cake and eat it too.  I'm glad he didn't try to get too fancy and take the risk of missing out on top-5 talent by making a last minute trade.  We just got one of the needed pieces that fills a valuable role in the roster - the 3rd line center.  If he doesn't fit in there, we have the option of moving him into a top-6 forward (RW), freeing up the spot on third to another mufti-positioned player like Ruutu, Skinner, etc.

We need a couple veteran defensemen.  This draft was a bonus for us - our most important needs couldn't have been addressed efficiently with the number-5 pick.  Be happy, people, we just got an elite prospect who probably will be able to plug in to the offense immediately.

That's all I have to say about that...

Wow, i took a long time to finish this post and get it up... since then my original and ground-breaking comments have become echoes of other, faster posters.  None the less...

I hope you can be a bit patient with Elias Lindholm in Carolina.

He might be one of the best player you have ever drafted.

Even though he might not be the type of player you would like to have right now, but he has the potential to be one of the leagues best players when he will be in his prime.

I have had the oppertunity to see him play many, many games.

He is a smart player and if you like the skilled game and not just brute force he will give it to you.

I love the skilled game. Unfortunately at the moment we are entering a new division that will take a huge physical toll on this team if it doesn't get a whole lot bigger very quickly.

Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes
#Canes GM Jim Rutherford said Sekera was who CAR wanted to swap picks with BUF in the first round.

Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes
Turned out that the team kept the pick, drafted the player they wanted and eventually got Sekera anyway.

Buffalo fans don't like it, so.....

Edited by coastal_caniac

khl is better than ahl  " FACT"    thus why nichushkin would only want to play in the best ,  but thats okay , ignore what he has done on ice , ignore all the facts about the guy , and go with the combine pick instead .  i hope i am wrong in all honesty , but  i just don't see it . 

I love the skilled game. Unfortunately at the moment we are entering a new division that will take a huge physical toll on this team if it doesn't get a whole lot bigger very quickly.

Elias is no stranger to a physical game. He can give and take hits.

I will try to follow Carolina a bit closer now when he is on your rooster.

Last time  you picked a player from 'my team' it was Niclas Wallin. He was a pretty good defence man in my view.

I said if JR turned the second rounder into a solid NHL dman and unloaded McBain in the process...genius, and he did it.

I don't know Sekera, but I think this was the masterstroke.

When the dust settles this is going to look pretty good. We now can build a solid threat third line, and future top 6 forward that has played with men, and has MAJOR upside, picked up a solid defenseman that will help THIS year, and unloaded McBain. Not bad for a couple hours work.

Edited by remkin

Don't know much about Sekara. I could be wrong but it looks like he signed a 4 year 11 million dollar contract in 2011. So I guess his cap hit is in the high 2 million range and for the next couple years. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Goodbye McBain, best of luck. Glad he was moved though.

Good to hear Buffalo doesn't like it.

Edited by Kyrule

sekera is a decent blue liner , someone who can step up and score goals .  but as for what he can do on defense i don't remember all to well .  but still not a bad pick up for the canes , just a shame jamie mcbain could not develop more into a over all two way defense man  , i had a lot of hope riding on that kid . 

Sekera highlights if you need a look:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8471284〈=en

Thanks for that.  I never thought I'd get a big grin watching Sabers highlight videos... congratulations Hockey Gods, you got me.  Sekera has some significant stick skills - he's getting some top-shelf goals at point blank range and attacks quite a bit, it seems.  Good stuff... especially if the Slug-heads disapprove the trade, that just makes my day.  So far it seems like a good trade for us - we cut dead weight and acquired a veteran defensemen that we desperately needed... a top pairing guy, none-the-less.  And we took him from our rival... icing on the cake.

Elias is no stranger to a physical game. He can give and take hits.

I will try to follow Carolina a bit closer now when he is on your rooster.

Last time  you picked a player from 'my team' it was Niclas Wallin. He was a pretty good defence man in my view.

Welcome to the family, my friend.  We LOVE Nic Wallin... he's a local hero and a Hurricane legend.  I miss him a lot.

Losing McBain is addition by subtraction.  My recollection of Sekara is he logged enough minutes, skated well and would use the body as needed.

I believe this is the first ever trade by Canes with Buffalo.

khl is better than ahl " FACT" thus why nichushkin would only want to play in the best , but thats okay , ignore what he has done on ice , ignore all the facts about the guy , and go with the combine pick instead . i hope i am wrong in all honesty , but i just don't see it .

If all you got out of my post was that I went with the better combine player, then this discussion is pointless. I am not sure what "facts" I am ignoring, but I just gave you some facts that you chose to ignore.

Anyway, I am done defending our pick. Next time you disagree with someone/something, try to go about it with some class/maturity.

Edited by Kyrule

Well Buffulo just picked up two monster dmen so they could afford to let someone go.

To me that is one of the most interesting stories of the draft, getting Ristolainen and Zadarov. I don't think anyone saw that coming. Crazy to think of these guys along with Myers, that is some serious size on the back-end.

Pesce is 6-3, born in NJ/NY area.

I read...  "Pesce is a very good player who has tremendous gap control and does an outstanding job of bodying opposing forwards to the outside."

That sounds great!   But will he pass up college?
Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Pesce is 6-3, born in NJ/NY area.

I read...  "Pesce is a very good player who has tremendous gap control and does an outstanding job of bodying opposing forwards to the outside."

That sounds great!   But will he pass up college?

My guess would be no. I see him spending at least a couple years in college to give him some time to fill out his frame and develop a bit. Then again, maybe he surprises and makes the jump sooner.

Surely no one is suggesting this pick has a chance to make the roster.  I don't understand what college has to do with anything?  It's certainly a conduit to the league.

Edited by coastal_caniac

pesce looks promising, apparently the trade for our #5 just wasn't there..... but why draft a 5-11 forward, we need size.......as usual that annual end of the year win streak comes back to bite the canes you know where..... pathetic............. we still need a shut down d man, and its looking like another frustrating year ahead. luckily for me i have a new AHL team moving in 12 miles from me, guess i can cancel nhl ticket.....

The only NHL ready d-man in this draft was Seth Jones. Even if a few others, like Nurse, are NHL ready as well, no one in the 3rd round is.

Only about 12% of 3rd round picks and beyond even make it to the league at any point. There is literally no chance he plays now.

Edited by golfpro827