The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

My guess would be no. I see him spending at least a couple years in college to give him some time to fill out his frame and develop a bit. Then again, maybe he surprises and makes the jump sooner.

I'll say no chance at all...but I think he's a good pick. Nice size and still growing and he's in a good hockey program at NH to develop.

Elias is no stranger to a physical game. He can give and take hits.

I will try to follow Carolina a bit closer now when he is on your rooster.

Last time  you picked a player from 'my team' it was Niclas Wallin. He was a pretty good defence man in my view.

I have every hope he will be a great addition to the Canes. He is a solid pick in my opinion and look forward to seeing him play.

Unless there was a misprint, Pesce is 6'3" and weighs 170 lbs.  I think it's going to be awhile before you can legitimately even start speculating about that kid helping the team.    Hopefully he fills out and continues to develop  over the next couple of years . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

Unless there was a misprint, Pesce is 6'3" and weighs 170 lbs.  I think it's going to be awhile before you can legitimately even start speculating about that kid helping the team.    Hopefully he fills out and continues to develop  over the next couple of years . . .

I believe he said he was about 190 in his interview. He also acknowledged that he needed to fill out this coming season at UNH by gaining at least 15lbs.

I believe he said he was about 190 in his interview. He also acknowledged that he needed to fill out this coming season at UNH by gaining at least 15lbs.

Ah, I got the 170 from the NHL site.  For the record, I'm not criticizing the pick; I don't know enough about him to have an opinion either way.  I was mostly commenting because some previous posters seemed to be unrealistically hopeful about his near term prospect for helping the team.         

Edited by LakeLivin

But is he standing tip toed?  :spin:

While perhaps size does matter, are we all a bit preoccupied with it?

That clearly says 6' 1/2". Not 5'11', and he is not exactly a stick either.

When you get pushed around up and down the ice for years I'd say hoping for guys with a little more size who are able to use it isn't getting preoccupied with it.

Getting preoccupied with it is when you don't see a 17-year old body as having room to grow.  Lindholm should fill out nicely at around 6'1" and over 200 lbs.

And did I mention we now have another playmaker, which we SORELY needed.

I said this in another thread, but it looks like we have a next-generational, Swedish version of Brind'Amour on our hands now. Maybe with less ridiculous conditioning.

Getting preoccupied with it is when you don't see a 17-year old body as having room to grow.  Lindholm should fill out nicely at around 6'1" and over 200 lbs.

Kind of what I was going for...

Yep, just adding a little more butter. :thumbsup:

Paula Dean?...........what, too soon?

Edited by remkin

Even if Lindholm wasn't the fan favourite going into the draft, we should at least refrain from bashing the pick.  I'm not saying that people on here have been doing just that, but let's refrain from being "those kinds" of fans.

Just saw this....

"Forslund said hypothetically, if the Hurricanes wanted (Seth) Jones, they would have had to trade Jeff Skinner and the fifth pick in exchange for the Tampa Bay Lightning’s third pick."

That's A LOT to give up.

Personally, I'm happier with Skinner Sekera and Lindholm than Jones McBain and whomever we get at 35.

Just saw this....

"Forslund said hypothetically, if the Hurricanes wanted (Seth) Jones, they would have had to trade Jeff Skinner and the fifth pick in exchange for the Tampa Bay Lightning’s third pick."

That's A LOT to give up.

Ya, no wonder we just said no.

Lindholm is ranked #1..........in the 10 most akward photos from the 2013 NHL draft!

Elias-Lindholm.jpg

1. Elias Lindholm, Carolina Hurricanes

This. Is. Perfection.

From the odd rooster feathers hair to the complete lack of arms, photographers caught Hurricanes first-rounder Elias Lindholm at his most carnival freak moment. We have no idea why this photo made it on the wire. We have no idea why it exists. But as the NHL continues to conspire to withhold the crazy from us in its rookie photos, this is evidence that crazy can never be contained.

Here is the full article (the Wennberg photos are awesome):

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/10-most-awkward-2013-nhl-draft-rookie-photographs-155531390.html;_ylt=A2KJ2UZ309FREDMAvdXQtDMD

Edited by Kyrule

Lindholm is ranked #1..........in the 10 most akward photos from the 2013 NHL draft!

Elias-Lindholm.jpg

1. Elias Lindholm, Carolina Hurricanes

This. Is. Perfection.

From the odd rooster feathers hair to the complete lack of arms, photographers caught Hurricanes first-rounder Elias Lindholm at his most carnival freak moment. We have no idea why this photo made it on the wire. We have no idea why it exists. But as the NHL continues to conspire to withhold the crazy from us in its rookie photos, this is evidence that crazy can never be contained.

Here is the full article (the Wennberg photos are awesome):

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/10-most-awkward-2013-nhl-draft-rookie-photographs-155531390.html;_ylt=A2KJ2UZ309FREDMAvdXQtDMD

HAHAHAHA Alex Wennberg!

And this made me pee a little:

Morgan-Klimchuk.jpg

2. Morgan Klimchuk, Calgary Flames

If there’s a more “I’ve just been drafted by the Calgary Flames” look given by a Calgary Flames draft pick, we haven’t seen it.

Just saw this....

That's A LOT to give up.

Personally, I'm happier with Skinner Sekera and Lindholm than Jones McBain and whomever we get at 35.

Also keep in mind JF is basically part of the PR/Marketing arm of the team. Making a statement like that got the exact result any PR department would want .. "sure glad we did not reach and get Seth Jones. I'm happy with how we played it."

Just saying, keep that angle in mind with JF, TT and others.

I would of preferred that we picked up Nichushkin. He has the size we need in our new divisional alignment. He looks like a freight train coming down the ice... huge. There were some teams that were afraid of the negative comments about his attitude... not a team player... etc., but I heard all of that when Semin was being considered. I wanted Semin all along and feel that he fit in very well with the team last year.   Skipping on Nich was a huge mistake.

I would of preferred that we picked up Nichushkin. He has the size we need in our new divisional alignment. He looks like a freight train coming down the ice... huge. There were some teams that were afraid of the negative comments about his attitude... not a team player... etc., but I heard all of that when Semin was being considered. I wanted Semin all along and feel that he fit in very well with the team last year.   Skipping on Nich was a huge mistake.

well said .   but watch out for the nich haters , they will come after you for not loving lindholm more than nichushkin 

Thanks for the warning. If Rutherford really wanted an immediate impact player as he quoted, Lindholm doesn't fit that need. Perhaps in a few years he will develop into a good player.. An immediate impact player would of been Nichushkin and given us some much needed size.

I don't know - the more you read it is pretty clear that most scouts had Lindholm ranked higher than Nichuskin. He is probably just as clear at the top of the second three forwards as McKinnon is the top of the first three.

The fact that not only the Canes passed but  that he slipped to 10 with Monahan and the Dmen ahead of him might mean there is more that we do not know.

Thanks for the warning. If Rutherford really wanted an immediate impact player as he quoted, Lindholm doesn't fit that need. Perhaps in a few years he will develop into a good player.. An immediate impact player would of been Nichushkin and given us some much needed size.

I don't think you will find a Nichuskin hater around here.  It's a pretty good bunch of folks willing to discuss most anything. Welcome.

Anybody got anything to jump start the dead battery canesfanforever brought over for fun?

Edited by coastal_caniac