The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

I don't think you will find a Nichuskin hater around here.  It's a pretty good bunch of folks willing to discuss most anything. Welcome.

Anybody got anything to jump start the dead battery canesfanforever brought over for fun?

cute  . i guess people disagree with logic every now and then .  but thats beside the point. 

what about our 3rd round pick . i can't much on the kid at the moment 

Just saw this....

"Forslund said hypothetically, if the Hurricanes wanted (Seth) Jones, they would have had to trade Jeff Skinner and the fifth pick in exchange for the Tampa Bay Lightning’s third pick."

That's A LOT to give up.

Personally, I'm happier with Skinner Sekera and Lindholm than Jones McBain and whomever we get at 35.

Yeah, better off just picking at #5 or having some other team overpay to pick #5 as the talking heads were reporting early on. I would have loved to have Jones, but that price is too steep. Sigh, if only we'd picked before Nashville. 

Hopefully Lindholm will be a stud.

My 2 cents... 

I am happy with Lindholm. While I was excited about the possibility of Nichushkin, I can see that he might have been a little more of a risk. And at this point, perhaps a risk best not taken, with a player like Lindholm available. 

As an aside, I don't have a problem with Nichushkin's "NHL or KHL" intentions. His KHL team agreed to let him out of his contract to go to the NHL, and he agreed that if he didn't make the NHL team, he would return to play for them. With no NHL opt out clause in the KHL, this agreement, while not part of a written contract, served the same purpose. I have no problem with him intending to live up to his word. I think he was not very well advised in how to handle things, though, including the combine, and that likely affected some team's perception of him. 

Anyway, outside of the top 4, and Nichushkin, Lindholm was the only one I wanted, without trading down.  Of course, trading down and still getting him would have been even better, but with how things played out, that wasn't going to happen. 

I know Lindholm and Monahan have been lumped together quite often - with Monahan a bit bigger and without another contract to consider, but from the clips I have seen, Lindholm comes across as a more dynamic player - one who makes a difference on every shift. 

As to round two, I am not that familiar with Sekera, but from what I have read, and from looking at his numbers, he looks pretty much like the guy I envisioned them finding for the top 4. (I was hoping for a player that was defensively sound, with good mobility and decent passing, who can block shots and clear the crease. Not sure about the clearing the crease part, but it sounds like he has the other aspects covered.) 

I would have preferred to be able to keep McBain on the third pairing, because I think with the right structure he can become a reliable top 4 defenseman, and also as a bit of security if no one else works well with Pitkanen. But if the coach was done with him, it is best to move him sooner than later. 

It sounds like the idea is that Faulk will be paired with Pitkanen, which is something I have been hoping that they would try. If they can  make it work (and I am actually confidant that they can) that pairing should add a lot to the offense, while still being very good defensively. And Sekera should be defensively sound enough to take on a primarily shut-down role with Gleason, with enough mobility to cover the entire rink (and not be tied to the defensive zone) and be able to get the puck back into the offensive zone. (Both have been issues when Gleason has been paired with typical stay at home defensemen in the past.) 

I think they still need one more defenseman - a third pairing veteran that can play occasional top four minutes if needed. That should help a lot with the depth issues. 

Speaking of depth, it is a shame that in such a deep draft that the Hurricanes were already short two draft picks, and then traded another away. I know there are many reasons to concentrate on "now", even at the expense of the future, but the prospect pool is pretty sparse, and this would have been a good year to be able to stock up. Although I have head that next year should be good, too...

Hi guys.  I have been a long time reader on these boards and now a first time poster.  I put my vote in for Elias Lindholm.  I believe that Seth, Nathan, Jonathan, and Aleksander will be taken as the top 4.  So that puts us in a spot to look at Valeri, and Elias as the top two forwards left in play.  I believe JR wont take a blueliner in the top 5 based on what he has previously done.  So that takes out Darnell and Rasmus.  I also believe that JR really wont want to deal with the Russian Factor of Valeri, so that leaves Elias as the go to choice.  I watched every one of Sweedens U20 World Jr. game this year to see Victor Rask play, and boy was I impressed with the game of Elias Lindholm.  His 2nd line with Molin and Collberg was one of the most dominant lines in the tourney.  He also had great cemestry with Victor Rask on the PP and hopefully that could help our lame PP down the road.  He might not be NHL ready, but he would be a real solid pick as he can play center or wing.  However, I will be hoping we can win the lottery and get Seth.      

Just a shout out to Teamjelly, he posted this back in late April. Very good call.

well said .   but watch out for the nich haters , they will come after you for not loving lindholm more than nichushkin 

I don't think that's really accurate.  What I think many have spoken to was the degree of certainty and vehemence with which some Nich fans have spoken regarding the Canes passing him up.  Especially in light of all of the other teams that passed on him as well (teams that are much better informed than any of us, btw).  After all, we're even speculating on the reason he slipped as far as he did; we really don't know the exact details.  And we none of us knows how each will develop at the NHL level; we're speculating about that as well.

As Kansas said in the song: “And if I claim to be a wise man, well, it surely means that I don't know” :) .

Edited by LakeLivin

Yes, good call by teamjelly (teamjelly? I thought my name was odd). 

The prediction business is brutal. Get it right and you can't really pat yourself on the back. That's why contests are nice.

I think as things settle and we learn more about this draft and trade, people will start getting over Nich and the "could have beens" and realize that we just picked up not one but two really good players. 

Watching the playoffs what you see is what teams have the most guys who can play at top speed and high intensity. Lindholm will be one of those guys. And as others have pointed out, this is the kind of guy you want on your team and will stay on your team for a long long time. Nich? Not so sure. Maybe.

Sekera is looking better and better. This guy will be a HUGE HUGE upgrade over McBain and I'm telling you it will help the other pieces fall into a better place. Sure we lack the dominant #1 dman, but we are suddenly much better. Fairly thin still, but better.

My prediction is next year at this time McBain is struggling to stay in the NHL. 

The only bad thing is that we now heading into the dog days of little to no hockey news or much of interest.

Edited by remkin

when  people talked about players sliding in this years draft ,  there were several good players that slid  that i though was weird  

jones originally thought to go  1st , then 2nd  went to 4th 

nichushkin  thought to be 5-8 , other scouts had him 5-25   but he slid to 10 

mantha  thought to be top ten  slid to  20th 

shinkaruk thought to be top ten  slid to 24th 

erne was thought to go in the first round top 15 slid to 2nd round to 33rd

fucale was thought to go in the first round top 20  slid to 2nd round to 36th  

and you know the funny thing is most hockey experts take a look back  years later and  think of  teams that passed up on such talented players   and call these players  "hidden gems"    when they were originally ranked to go much earlier in the draft

as to some how credit the gms for picking players that other gms passed on as masterminds or genius .  

its all silly in the end . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

The prediction business is brutal. Get it right and you can't really pat yourself on the back. That's why contests are nice.

I think as things settle and we learn more about this draft and trade, people will start getting over Nich and the "could have beens" and realize that we just picked up not one but two really good players. 

Watching the playoffs what you see is what teams have the most guys who can play at top speed and high intensity. Lindholm will be one of those guys. And as others have pointed out, this is the kind of guy you want on your team and will stay on your team for a long long time. Nich? Not so sure. Maybe.

Sekera is looking better and better. This guy will be a HUGE HUGE upgrade over McBain and I'm telling you it will help the other pieces fall into a better place. Sure we lack the dominant #1 dman, but we are suddenly much better. Fairly thin still, but better.

My prediction is next year at this time McBain is struggling to stay in the NHL. 

The only bad thing is that we now heading into the dog days of little to no hockey news or much of interest.

Remkin----you always make so much sense to me. All I have been reading on various Canes blogs

is criticism of the organ-eye-sation---"-preferred another #5 pick, too bland and safe, wish we had

picked a different guy" etc etc" and" we need help on defense but Sekera is not the one"-------

on and on it goes with comments that other teams did so much better in the draft.

But I think the team picked up a possible Brandon Sutter replacement----and a steady,calm

defenseman who plays big minutes and can get the puck out of our zone. For sure an

upgrade, IMO.

Part of the dead space between now and the start of the season will be free agency coming

up. My big immediate concern is a backup for Cam. IMO, Peters is not the one. Do you think

we still have a shot at Ellis in free agency? What other possible backups are out there at

a reasonable price?

I heard that the Canes had Lindholm 4th on their draft board.  I wonder who they had him ahead of, Barkov or Drouin?

1st seth jones

2nd nathan mackinnon

3rd alexander barkov 

drouin was out of the question 

Let me give you the name explaination.  As you can see my pic is of Martin Gelinas, who's nick name in the locker room was jelly.  He is my favorite all time player.  I also know hiim personally and I actually dicussed this years draft with him as he used to be part of the draft process when he was with the Nashville front office. 

Good ole number 23 i believe, always liked his play!

Good ole number 23 i believe, always liked his play!

Ok, im quoting myself to get to my 1500th POST! YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, maybe this is 1500 :)

Part of the dead space between now and the start of the season will be free agency coming

up. My big immediate concern is a backup for Cam. IMO, Peters is not the one. Do you think

we still have a shot at Ellis in free agency? What other possible backups are out there at

a reasonable price?

Well, Johan Hedberg may be available through trade since NJ just traded for Rob Schneider.  Moose has one year left on his contract, a hefty $1.4 mil.  I've always liked him, was hoping he'd get a shot after the Thrashers let him go.  But, NJ scooped him up.  He's another Cane-killer that would be good to take out of the opposition's arsenal.

Congrats on post 1499, Dinz!  :lol:

Thanks for the props. ( and going back 2 month to find my post).

No problem. For some reason I remembered that someone picked Lindholm and that he was the only one. Over time I started touting Lindhom around here because he is my favorite type of player, but I knew I wasn't the only one. I was really curious who it was and here we are.

Anyway, great call and thanks for the insight. Cool story about Gelinas as well, I don't think he got enough credit for becoming a more complete player in the latter stages of his career (much like Yzerman, although he did get credit and deservedly so).

Let me give you the name explaination.  As you can see my pic is of Martin Gelinas, who's nick name in the locker room was jelly.  He is my favorite all time player.  I also know hiim personally and I actually dicussed this years draft with him as he used to be part of the draft process when he was with the Nashville front office. 

Ah, I see. I was thinking literally. Was this some Jelly the team enjoyed? Was this an ointment of some kind that the team used? Or well I can't really go further with it than that  :unsure: .

Remkin----you always make so much sense to me. All I have been reading on various Canes blogs

is criticism of the organ-eye-sation---"-preferred another #5 pick, too bland and safe, wish we had

picked a different guy" etc etc" and" we need help on defense but Sekera is not the one"-------

on and on it goes with comments that other teams did so much better in the draft.

But I think the team picked up a possible Brandon Sutter replacement----and a steady,calm

defenseman who plays big minutes and can get the puck out of our zone. For sure an

upgrade, IMO.

a reasonable price?

Thanks UNC. Enjoy your posts also. 

I really think this draft has to be taken with a dose of reality. In the pre-draft we didn't know that Nich had serious baggage, and there had been much gushing over him. The next Malkin after all. I know I was on board. But all the top guys are the next somebody and if our guy is the next Forsberg, well that ain't too shabby. 

The main thing is that our ticket to trade down and get value was Nich, and Nich had no value at 5. None. 

I think it's easy too to forget that this is a team game as well as one of assembling individuals. Lindholm just seems like a real solid team guy who plays hard all the time (major Nich criticism, one scout said "never seen him play a full 60 minute game"). But film I've seen shows some slick moves and great slick skating too. This is not a long term third liner I am sure of it. Just because he plays defense doesn't mean he doesn't have offense. Kind of like J. Toews.

When I looked at the FA's available for Dmen I just though, where is the answer there? I was really worried.

Based on what I've heard Sekera is better than any of the FA dmen out there and cheaper than many too. As to giving up a second rounder and McBain? Really, I gotta say that while JR likes making balanced "hockey trades", we kind of snookered them on this one.

"OOOOH please don't throw me in that there McBain briar patch. I guess we'll throw in McBain if we really have to". Sekera is more than what 90% of second rounders will become and we don't have to wait 4 years for him to develop. 

There was so much anticipation, and almost none of it (teamjelly aside) was shone on Lindholm that people need some time to let it sink in. Fine. But very soon people will be smiling at these moves. Far from blockbuster, but really solid nifty moves that have made us significantly better.

I will confess right now that in general I'm on the optimistic side of the fence on this team. But I really think it is all going to start coming together next year and it might be pretty amazing. 

There is reason to think that J and Skinner both really break out next year. And I really liked Murphy. We'll have to see on him. If Lindholm can play at the third line level and Sekera is way better than McBain (he is), and we get Ward back to form, and Muller is the coach of his first 80 games......smiles.

There was so much anticipation, and almost none of it (teamjelly aside) was shone on Lindholm that people need some time to let it sink in.

*cough* *cough*

:)

At some point JR must admit that his strategy of not drafting D in the 1st round is killing this team's blueline. It would be different if we could afford or get a FA like Suter last year, but that is not going to happen...Canes got uh-oh Corvo, & as soon as Ward went down...the Canes D was exposed, & the team fell like a rock!

Canes entire draft history since 1997 only has 5 1st round D. NIKOS TSELIOS was a bust. DAVID TANABE was an ok NHL D, but never as good as the Canes made him out to be, IGOR KNYAZEV was a bust, JACK JOHNSON refused to sign & was traded for Gleason(could have drafted Marc Staal), & RYAN MURPHY is very small & he is just starting his pro career.

Now I'm not saying Nurse or Rasmus Ristolainen would have been better than Lindholm...but at some point you got to fix your biggest problem through the only way the Canes can afford to do it...the draft.

By the way the Canes could have also had Robert Hägg the swe D-man in the second round with there #35 pick...Nurse & Hagg would have been a great start to a long term solution on the blueline. I have heard that Brett Pesce was a steal in the third round.

Sekera seems more like another band-aid...now if the Canes could add another FA top 4 D then the Canes might be improved in the short term...but I still see very few quality D-man in the system.

Edited by rocheccw

For those of you asking about our third rounder, Brett Pesce, here's an article that was written on him after the Combine.

Read the rest at this Link.

TORONTO -- Inquiring minds want to know if the next Torey Krug will be available at the 2013 NHL Draft on June 30?

There's little doubt that if a player with similar traits to the undrafted defenseman from the Boston Bruins is floating around, he'll be scooped up in rather short order.

As Krug spent two seasons at Michigan State before signing a free-agent contract with the Bruins last year, perhaps it's only fitting to look at NHL Central Scouting's top collegiate player available for the June draft. That would be true freshman defenseman Brett Pesce of the University of New Hampshire.

"He's one of the best defenders I've seen at his draft age in a long, long time," Central Scouting's David Gregory told NHL.com. "He does a great job keeping the puck to the outside and when you think you're by him, he uses his stick and body positioning as well as anybody."

"He's been impressive all year long," Gregory said. "He walked into a program that traditionally doesn't play freshmen. I'm not talking just sitting on the bench, either -- because this is a team that doesn't even dress freshmen. But he was given more ice time as the year progressed and was used in very important situations for them. He had a tremendous season."The 6-foot-2.75, 170-pound righty-shooting defenseman played 38 games for the Wildcats this season and posted one goal and six points. He also finished sixth on the team with a plus-7 rating. But those statistics don't even tell half the story.

Gregory is convinced one day Pesce will be a solid minute-munching defenseman in the NHL.

"He didn't have a chance to display his offensive game and a lot of that was because of the role the coaches put him in," Gregory said. "They slowly moved him along and developed him very successfully to be a guy who can play in all situations. They had their seniors playing on the power-play, so he didn't get a lot of time there. But in two-to-three years, it'll be interesting to see the role he'll be playing at UNH. He'll probably be on the ice for 25 minutes per game … I'm certain of it."

"I think I'm more of a defensive guy with a shutdown mentality in my own end, but when given the opportunity, I can create things offensively and on the rush," he said.

Pesce is looking forward to the draft, especially since it's close to home at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. He's keeping his options open.

"It is important to me and my family to earn my degree," Pesce said, "but obviously, if an opportunity arises to turn pro, I can always go back to school."

Edited by SuckaPunchd

OK, and Kyrule. See what I mean about predicting?

I am not patting myself on the back, I didn't think we were going to draft Lindholm. I fully expected Nich or Monahan. The reason I put that up is because I may be the only one here who actually wanted us to draft Lindholm. You said "almost none of it (anticipation) shown on Lindholm (outside of teamjelley)" and that people had to let it "sink in." I didn't predict, I supported. I'm not saying I was right, I'm saying I am happy.

I indicated in another post that I sort of called it, but I was wrong. I thought our chances of actually drafting Lindholm were very slim. That was my mistake.

Anyway, I feel like an idiot for even posting this, just didn't want people to think that I believe I called our pick. I was wrong, and I'm glad I was. It is good to see people coming around on Lindholm though, and I stick by my prediction that he will become a fan favorite down the line. Hopefully this time I will be right.

Edited by Kyrule

Hi guys.  I have been a long time reader on these boards and now a first time poster.  I put my vote in for Elias Lindholm.  I believe that Seth, Nathan, Jonathan, and Aleksander will be taken as the top 4.  So that puts us in a spot to look at Valeri, and Elias as the top two forwards left in play.  I believe JR wont take a blueliner in the top 5 based on what he has previously done.  So that takes out Darnell and Rasmus.  I also believe that JR really wont want to deal with the Russian Factor of Valeri, so that leaves Elias as the go to choice.  I watched every one of Sweedens U20 World Jr. game this year to see Victor Rask play, and boy was I impressed with the game of Elias Lindholm.  His 2nd line with Molin and Collberg was one of the most dominant lines in the tourney.  He also had great cemestry with Victor Rask on the PP and hopefully that could help our lame PP down the road.  He might not be NHL ready, but he would be a real solid pick as he can play center or wing.  However, I will be hoping we can win the lottery and get Seth.

Team jelly, not sure if mentioned, but going through whole thread, Costal mentioned lindholm, name, but you i think officially put the stamp on him..

I did have Lindholm in my original poll as a possibility.  I don't recall anyone voting for him (including me).