The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

If we end up Top-10 and not Top-3 we'll hope for the best. But the Top-3 really appear to be in another tier.

Think Huberdeau vs R Murphy.

Think John Tavares vs Jared Cowen. 

etc.

A Colorado win and a Canes loss today against Tampa Bay would go a long in helping Carolina get into the bottom-2 league-wide standings. ....

On the flip side, a Canes win tonight would really "set us back" in the race for Jones, Jonathan Drouin or Nathan MacKinnon.

Well at least Colorado did its part tonight with a very spirited win over the Blues.     :facepalm: 

That said, the Canes meaningless win tonight against Tampa Bay really hurts our odds for a top-3 pick -- really need to lose the last three now to have a decent shot at it    :facepalm:  :facepalm: 

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Well, outside of a trade or  getting lucky in the lottery, the odds now of the Canes drafting a top-3 "franchise player" are very slim indeed.

Being in the build last night and seeing the shootout win was fun, but missing out on drafting a franchise player really hurts long term.  

So now the question is more like... "Who should we draft with the 5th (6th) pick?"

Best available defensmen even if he's not ready to turn the corner. We'll just have to wait on him.

Perhaps it makes sense going for need.  

With Jones and Darnell Nurse likely off the board
when the Canes pick (say 5th or 6th)... 
that leaves us with "other" D-men such as 

MIRCO MUELLER
SHEA THEODORE
and RYAN PULOCK

(all from the WHL).

Thing is, if we draft for need (D) and not best available, then
we could Trade Down a few picks and still land one of the above "other 3."
Maybe that would not be bad if someone else really needed to trade up 4-5 spots.

In turn, we'd get a "next tier" D-man and maybe an extra 2nd round pick out of it.

Naturally, I'm hoping we can just "get lucky" and win the lottery (Jones).  Short of that, right now, I'm hoping Nurse falls to us picking at 5 or 6.

What might be interesting is how the pick could vary depending on where we pick.

1:  Seth Jones

2/3: Drouin/MacKinnon

4/5:  Hmmmm. From a what will they do point of view here it is wide open. Barkov or Nishuskin are the consensus best players at 4 and 5 but both are forwards. Barkov a center (could do a Pittsburgh J Staal thing and let him center the third line). Nishuskin a big talented winger, but Russian and actually playing in Russia. 

Personally I can't pass on either of those guys and one WILL be there at 4/5. 

6: Darnell Nurse. He is simply the highest rated D man not named Jones and has not filled out or hit his peak. 6'4" and physical but also smooth skating. 

Then it gets tricky. There are some more good forwards, but the next two Dmen are definitely Ristolainen and Zadorov. Which is nice for us because both are big physical hard hitting types. Zadorov is consistently picked to go around #9, while Ristolainen is all over the place on mock drafts from #7 to #16. 

Despite my pining for a top 3 pick (still want it), this is supposed to be an amazingly deep draft and so long as we are in the top 10 we will get a top 2  D man or top 6 forward. 

Oddly, in terms of team need, we might be better off if out of the top 3 to drop back to #6 where there is a good chance that the obvious pick and need would come together in Darnell Nurse. 

If we like Ristolainen and Zadorov a lot we could trade down, just don't see it very often. 

Edited by remkin

So aggravating. I listened to the game last night in the air. It baffles me we won that game then sent our players to Charlotte. The lightning games are going to be so important. I think the best we can get is third. I want drouin. Especially if we go with skinned as a third line center Drouin would compliment the second line oh so well. With the Nashville win last night that helps us. I just want a game changer!

I don't see the Canes touching Nichuskin with a 10-foot pole. 

I agree, trying to get him out of Russia could be a hassle.

But then again a guy who "reminds one of Malkin" would be hard to pass up. 

Wonder if it would be good or bad for Semin.

Darnell Nurse seems to be really shooting up the rankings. Just released Central Scouting final rankings has him #4 North American skater. 

I agree, trying to get him out of Russia could be a hassle.

But then again a guy who "reminds one of Malkin" would be hard to pass up. 

Wonder if it would be good or bad for Semin.

Darnell Nurse seems to be really shooting up the rankings. Just released Central Scouting final rankings has him #4 North American skater. 

He's signed for 2 more years in the KHL.  They seem to do that to a lot of those Russian prospects if they are any good....that is sweet talking a 16-year old with wads of money to sign a multi-year contract at an early age to keep them from jumping to NA.

He sounds like a no-miss guy at this point but I would bet somebody with 10-15 pick would more likely take a chance with the Russian factor.  But who knows in the draft?

Edited by coastal_caniac

We should have been playing to lose 10 games ago. This team is beyond stupid. I'm sure Nurse or whatever guy we get in the 6 or 7 spot will be a decent player, but they aren't going to be of the same talent level as Mackinnon, Drouin, or Jones. Those are the can't miss guys and we blow our opportunity to grab one again.

We really need Tampa Bay to win tonight....   go Bolts!!  

If they lose, that's going to really hurt us being able to "move up" (via draft slot)

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

OK, we've proven we can win. We had some fun. 

There are only two quickly forgotten meaningless games left. 

I cannot believe that Edmonton is dropping like a rock again. There should be a rule about that. 

You get the #1 pick, you can't pick higher than #5 the next year.

Anyway, win out and we are picking #8 or #9. (probably)

Lose these last two and we are picking #3 to #6 depending. 

Come on two losses to pick #3 instead of #9? 

But it's not just getting in the top 3 which would be awesome. But at #8/9 Darnell Nurse and possibly Ristolainen are both gone. At #4 Nurse is still there, possibly #5 also. At #5/6 a very good dman WILL still be there. At #7 there is at least one top dman OR Nishushkin. At #8/9 there is another slight drop off likely all the upper elite forwards and dmen gone. 

If we cannot crack the top 3 I at least want Nurse or Ristolainen. That is extremely likely so long as we pick at least #6. 

Do NOT tank. Just lose.

NYR playing for the playoffs and Pittsburgh on the road. No Semin. 

No tank. Just play the 4th line a LOT. 

Edited by remkin

We should have been playing to lose 10 games ago. This team is beyond stupid. I'm sure Nurse or whatever guy we get in the 6 or 7 spot will be a decent player, but they aren't going to be of the same talent level as Mackinnon, Drouin, or Jones. Those are the can't miss guys and we blow our opportunity to grab one again.

I've played a lot of sports and often on some bad teams. I never took the field or the court without trying my damnedest to win. I don't think the Canes need to take chances by playing players that are hurt, but the guys that suit up don't want to lose. It's easy to say "just tank", but it's hard for a coach or player who has done his best since he was 4 years old to get to the top of their sport, to just roll over.

It's easy to say "just tank", but it's hard for a coach or player who has done his best since he was 4 years old to get to the top of their sport, to just roll over.

I don't know, the Oilers seem to have it down. :bag:

Not that it's done them much good, I know, I know. :gunhead:

We have off nights all the time. Just need one two of those. 

No tank. No win.

Edited by remkin

OK, we've proven we can win. We had some fun. 

There are only two quickly forgotten meaningless games left. 

I cannot believe that Edmonton is dropping like a rock again. There should be a rule about that. 

You get the #1 pick, you can't pick higher than #5 the next year.

Anyway, win out and we are picking #8 or #9. (probably)

Lose these last two and we are picking #3 to #6 depending. 

Come on two losses to pick #3 instead of #9? 

But it's not just getting in the top 3 which would be awesome. But at #8/9 Darnell Nurse and possibly Ristolainen are both gone. At #4 Nurse is still there, possibly #5 also. At #5/6 a very good dman WILL still be there. At #7 there is at least one top dman OR Nishushkin. At #8/9 there is another slight drop off likely all the upper elite forwards and dmen gone. 

If we cannot crack the top 3 I at least want Nurse or Ristolainen. That is extremely likely so long as we pick at least #6. 

Do NOT tank. Just lose.

NYR playing for the playoffs and Pittsburgh on the road. No Semin. 

No tank. Just play the 4th line a LOT. 

Agree with you Remkin! Not suggesting the team try to lose, just as a fan, hoping it happens "for the greater good."

When I say play to lose....I mean sit the good players and call up AHL'ers. Semin got a concussion recently. Skinner had a nasty hit recently. I wouldn't have even played them the last 5 games. Everyone knows that Ellis is gone next year and Peters will be in the AHL hopefully, why not bring Mike Murphy up for 5 games? We should be evaluating all of our prospects for next year. We should have brought Boychuck, Brett Sutter, etc. up. We could see what they've got while diminishing our chances of victory. But do we do that? Nope. We decide to get 8 points in our last 7 games and go from the 3rd spot to 6th or 7th spot. And with some bad luck we could be picking 8th. Just dumb.

There's still a chance we pick 4th.  Tampa should beat Florida, and they own the tiebreaker, so we could jump them if that happens.  Edmonton has 2 games remaining and Nashville plays Columbus.  We've got a tough one on the road playing for nothing.

Let's just wait and see.

When I say play to lose....I mean sit the good players and call up AHL'ers. Semin got a concussion recently. Skinner had a nasty hit recently. I wouldn't have even played them the last 5 games. Everyone knows that Ellis is gone next year and Peters will be in the AHL hopefully, why not bring Mike Murphy up for 5 games? We should be evaluating all of our prospects for next year. We should have brought Boychuck, Brett Sutter, etc. up. We could see what they've got while diminishing our chances of victory. But do we do that? Nope. We decide to get 8 points in our last 7 games and go from the 3rd spot to 6th or 7th spot. And with some bad luck we could be picking 8th. Just dumb.

I completely support this idea. Murphy can't possibly do any worse than Ellis or Peters at this point.  Lets see what Murphy has to offer, a loss won't matter.

In all seriousness this is just like if we were playing for a playoff spot. Just when you think you have it we go and screw it up. Last week we had second locked up. Then we started getting points. Now I believe we played ourself at of top 5. I just can't believe it. I can't.

If this team was playing to purposely lose we would have far more issues then a top 3 pick could ever fix.

Edited by legend-1