The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

If this team was playing to purposely lose we would have far more issues then a top 3 pick could ever fix.

Well, I think we know what the answer to that question is from the last three games...

At this point, we're probably looking at 5 or 6 overall.

At this point the idea of needing to lose is just a matter of head-shaking at the way this always seems to unfold historically. At some point we get within a few points of the bottom and out of the playoffs. Then we start winning. A couple of minutes from a three game winning streak. Just makes you kind of shake your head. But what can be done? Not much. I've always said that the guys HAVE to try to win. 

Just so strange. You have a team sans Semin and with a guy that has struggled to stay in the AHL in your line up. You are playing your back up goalie. The other guys are playing to get in the playoffs. It is clearly better if you lose. One defenseman is out for the year. You lose another at the last minute and a third in the game. And you are within a couple of minutes of a clean win at the end. At least we didn't get TWO points. 

But in the end it is what it is. 

I know this is a deep draft. How do I know that? Tripp and John wouldn't stop saying it and showing graphics of it. 

I guess we'll see if they can manage a proper road loss tomorrow and let the cards fall. 

At least no one can accuse us of tanking *cough* Edmonton *cough*.

I completely support this idea. Murphy can't possibly do any worse than Ellis or Peters at this point.  Lets see what Murphy has to offer, a loss won't matter.

If you consider the probability that Ellis has played at least two games sick and a couple injured the rest of his games have been decent. The guy isn't a number one, but I'd at least consider him still as #2.

Peters has had too many ups and downs. 

I think the Canes are really trying to give Ellis a good look for next year. 

Though I guess Ellis had a rough finish last night, I fast forwarded through it. 

Also, brining up your 4th string goalie electively would be tanking, which is frowned upon by this establishment.

Edited by remkin

Though I guess Ellis had a rough finish last night, I fast forwarded through it. 

Also, brining up your 4th string goalie electively would be tanking, which is frowned upon by this establishment.

It was a very bad finish and cost them the game.

I don't agree that taking a look at other back up options in the final game of the season would be interpreted as tanking. At least I wouldn't look at like that.  When else would you get a chance to see what he could do before you have to make roster decisions?

I don't agree that taking a look at other back up options in the final game of the season would be interpreted as tanking. At least I wouldn't look at like that.  When else would you get a chance to see what he could do before you have to make roster decisions?

Well I'd have been all for it. I was kind of being a bit sarcastic with the tanking being frowned upon. I'm fine with it. (not with actually tanking, but with losing). If we'd have tried out a new goalie and lost the last three, we could have pinned it on the new goalie and would be picking in the top 3. 

Until the apparent Ellis finish, he has had some decent games. I still think the Canes were wanting to see him to decide on next year. Other than that, sure, why not, everyone else is getting a shot. Why not tomorrow?

Edited by remkin

Wouldn't Murphy be needed for the checkers playoff run more then here for a two/three game tryout? I haven't followed the checkers as much as I would like so I am just curious as to what would be more valuable; seeing him in high pressure playoff setting verses playing in front of a team with nothing to play for. 

I think we've only got 1 game left this season fellas :D Ya'll are confusing me with suggesting a 5 game tryout, a 2-3 game tryout so on and so forth. :D Not trying to split hairs, jusssssttt sayin.

Charlotte has dealt with us jacking their players all year long, we should leave em alone and let them have their time. Besides Murphy's been up for a 2 game stint before, we learned that we can still lose if he has a shutout and other then that nothing. I'd rather him get a legit 5 game tryout next season (if we bother to bring him back) rather then another 1 game stint.

Well I'd have been all for it. I was kind of being a bit sarcastic with the tanking being frowned upon. I'm fine with it. (not with actually tanking, but with losing). If we'd have tried out a new goalie and lost the last three, we could have pinned it on the new goalie and would be picking in the top 3. 

Until the apparent Ellis finish, he has had some decent games. I still think the Canes were wanting to see him to decide on next year. Other than that, sure, why not, everyone else is getting a shot. Why not tomorrow?

Ellis will cost too much. Peters has a contract for next year. Peters will get the gig and Cam, if healthy, will start 70+ games next year.

You guys wanting to raid the Checkers need to remember something. They are playing for something. They shouldn't have to suffer because you want the Canes to lose (which they have a good shot at doing anyway).

I would be surprised if it would be more then 1.0-1.2 mil/per range.

That's about my guess as well...but then you have to consider that Justin Peters is on a one way deal next year. So if you're going to pay Ellis $1-1.2 mil/per, you've also got to pay Peters the $600K (if I remember correctly) he's due. I can't see Carolina paying a guy at the AHL level NHL level money, and I really can't see them dropping $1.6-1.8 mil on backup goaltenders. Not with the cap situation being what it is. So unless they're actively shopping Peters for prospects (I doubt it) then I think Ellis (despite being the better option, IMO) will walk and Peters will be the backup all of next season. 

That's about my guess as well...but then you have to consider that Justin Peters is on a one way deal next year. So if you're going to pay Ellis $1-1.2 mil/per, you've also got to pay Peters the $600K (if I remember correctly) he's due. I can't see Carolina paying a guy at the AHL level NHL level money, and I really can't see them dropping $1.6-1.8 mil on backup goaltenders. Not with the cap situation being what it is. So unless they're actively shopping Peters for prospects (I doubt it) then I think Ellis (despite being the better option, IMO) will walk and Peters will be the backup all of next season. 

They have options if they are not comfortable with Peters as the backup, they still have two buyouts for the up coming season.

Peters is getting $550k next year, which is in your guesstimate.  This not a whole lot more than minimum.  But judging by what we've seen in any case, JR has work to do at the goalie postion.  He's acknowledged the issues with D in the Chip interview today.  I hope Chip (CHIP?*) gets a chance to ask him about goalies too.

* - TSA always says "you'd be surprised who reads this board" so I'm putting that out there in case Chip reads this in his hotel room in Pittsburgh.  :)

* - Heck, that "surprise" may be JR.  JR?  :)

Edited by wxray1

Maybe Peters would be an acceptable back up with an acceptable defensive corps in front of him. Peters will be getting paid no matter where he is. My money is on JR making a move or two on D and going with Peters.

I agree the guy whose already signed wins the battle, Ellis didn't put enough space in between himself and Peters to retain the job. WIth the money that potentially needs to be shelled out on D to improve it I think we go with the Wal-Mart special goalie.

With Edmonton winning last night:

A Canes loss combined with a TB and Nahsville win and we are picking 3rd heading to the lottery.

Also, it seems Nichuskin is so unhappy about his rights being sold to Traktor without his knowledge that he is heavily considering coming to North America THIS summer.  Says he will attend the draft.  This could makes things really interesting.

https://twitter.com/IgorKleyner/status/327839180614942720

With Semin already on the team, who knows?

Edited by coastal_caniac

I hate having to depend on other teams to get us to 3rd. I can see Tampa winning since there playing Florida. Nashville is playing Columbus and there fighting for there playoff lives. Finally how many people will Bylsma sit tonight? So many unanswered questions. Tonight we will know where we sit heading into Mondays lottery.

Yeap, looks like the "best" we can do heading into the lottery is 3rd. 
Worst case, we'll be in the 7th slot pre-lottery.

Factoring in the lottery, we'll naturally have a chance at 1st overall, and if we don't win the lottery, then 3rd - 8th become our possibilities.

So, the only thing I think we can say with 100% certainty right now is, outside of a trade, the Canes:

1) will not have the 2nd overall pick.
2) will not be drafting any higher than 8th overall

A Canes loss combined with a TB and Nahsville win and we are picking 3rd heading to the lottery.

Also, it seems Nichuskin is so unhappy about his rights being sold to Traktor without his knowledge that he is heavily considering coming to North America THIS summer.  Says he will attend the draft.  This could makes things really interesting.

https://twitter.com/IgorKleyner/status/327839180614942720

With Semin already on the team, who knows?

So we have the tie breaker on Calgary if we lose?

OK if so, we lose, the worst we can to is 5th (barring lottery shake up). In this draft, that is still pretty sweet.

Interestingly of the 3 mock drafts just released on NHL.com. 2/3 have us #5 taking Nichushkin. 

One does wonder if Semin might do well in a mentoring role. Seriously might be good.

The mock drafts are interesting as they are wrong every year. 

Everyone has Jones #1. But MacKinnon is consensus top 3. One guy has Drouin to #4 because he and one other like Barkov a lot. The other guy has Barkov all the way down at #7. 

My guess is that the GM's go for offense first (after Jones). One mock drafter has us taking Nurse at #5, the others have the first D man after Jones going at #7/8. Lots of forwards after Jones. That's what I expect. Jones, then about 5 forwards.

Bottom line is if we lose and end up #5 or higher, we will likely take the best forward available. Likely Nichuskin or Barkov. 

If one ranks the top forwards it would appear to be tiers:

Druin/MacKinnon: can't miss

Barkov/Nichushkin: elite.

Then it gets dicier and guys show up all over the board. (Though some very very high praise for them, but no consensus as to order). Of course, if a la Skinner, the Canes have a love of someone in the next tier they could reach, BUT

At #6-9 I really think we take the Dman we need: Nurse or Ristolainen being the consensus non Jones dmen.

I will say that we do not want to drop to #9. While there will still be a good player, picking 9 and 15 could be the same as these guys are harder to rank. 

Thus it's all in our hands. We simply must lose tonight. At #5 we get an elite forward. With a little luck.....anything could happen.

At #6/7 we are all but certain to get Nurse or Ristoleinen. 

For crying out loud. Road game. Take your medicine. For the good of the future. Just lose.

Edited by remkin

They can't "lose" :tsktsk: it's about pride now and at the end of the day Hockey like "life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what your going to get" GO CANES!

Gotta lose!  :pray:

Of course I would never advocate tanking. But, play the 4th line a lot, bring up an AHL goalie. Try some new things just to see, etc.

I for one will be glad when this boring tanking debate is over. It's always the same. The distinction between wanting a loss and realizing it's best for the future vs. asking the team to tank is lost over and over and over again. The only thing that matters is the future. And winning this game does absolutely nothing, HUH say it again, absolutely nothin for the future. Losing however.....

Here's another benefit of picking higher. If we pick say #3 instead of #9, there is a much better chance of landing a decent player in the second round as we will pick higher then too. Could get Druoin and a really nice d prospect. 

Agree, if we lose tonight (hopefully), the worst we can slot heading in to the lottery is 5th and in turn the worst we can do after the lottery is pick 6th overall.

Outside of the CAR-PIT contest (GO PENS), games worth watching with impact on the Canes draft slot tonight include:

TB-FLA ---------------------------- go TB
NASH-CBJ ------------------------- go NASH
VAN- EDM ------------------------- go EDM

Outside of a trade, regardless what happens, they will not be picking worst than 8th (just math not an opinion).

For the fun of it, my fearless prediction....  Canes will end up going into the lottery in the 4th slot and that's where they will remain after the lottery.  

4th pick overall... hum?