The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

I think we will win tonight, but God I hope I'm wrong. I think Edmonton will lose and we'll end up in the 7 slot. Of course when this happens I will be ticked off (with the Canes getting 7 of a possible 8 points in our final four games), this would be so Carolina Hurricanes-like. I think a team in the top five will win the lottery, meaning we pick at #7. At least now I will be proven right, or gladly be proven wrong ;).

If we somehow could still get Druoin I would be exstatic

Right with you, but for better or worse, Darnell Nurse and Valeri Nichushkin seem more likely.

Oh man... we need a regulation-time loss tonight at Pens!!!
Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Right with you, but for better or worse, Darnell Nurse and Valeri Nichushkin seem more likely.

Oh man... we need a regulation-time loss tonight at Pens!!!

Rasmus Ristolainen is a better pick than Nurse.  Nurse is a couple years away. Ristolainen is ready. 

Well Nashville and TB blow their games. We are picking 5th or 6th. Stupid Canes.

Well, watching this horrorshoe tonight, I don't know if a #1, 2 or 3 pick will help this team right away anyway..  There's a lot of work needed.  Next year could be long in this realigned world.

Ok, so I know I will get beat up for this, but here is my Carolina draft list.  I have been on the road for 4 of the last 5 weeks and I have watched a TON of hockey.

1.  Jonathan Drouin

He is the most skilled player in the draft, he is NHL ready, and he would fill a hole in the Carolina Line up.  He would fit well on the second line with Jordan Staal and Tuomo Ruutu.  Filling that second line roll at an entry level salary would allow the Hurricanes to use that salary to fill other positions with more experienced players.

2.  Valeri Nichushkin

I qualify this by saying ONLY IF he is really ready, willing, and able to move to the NHL this summer.  He is the second most skilled player in the draft, he is NHL ready, and he would also fill a hole in the Carolina line up.  He would fit nicely on the third line with Jeff Skinner and Patrick Dwyer.  Filling that third line roll at an entry level salary would allow the Hurricanes to use that salary to fill other positions with more experienced players.

3.  Rasmus Ristolainen

He is big!  He is skilled!  He is nasty!  He is NHL ready!  I hate comparing prospects to current players, but this kid could become very similar to Chris Pronger, and that is exactly the kind of defensemen we need.  He is strong on both ends of the ice and he can play effectively right away.  Filling a top six roll at an entry level salary would allow the Hurricanes to use that salary to fill other positions with more experienced players.

4.  Seth Jones

OK, so I know he is everybody's first pick and it is for a good reason.  He is everything he is cracked up to be.  I think Ristolainen is a better fit for Carolina, but whoever drafts Seth Jones is going to get a GREAT player!  Again, I hate comparing prospects to current players, but this kid could become very similar to Shea Weber.  He is big and solid in all zones.  He just doesn't have that mean streak that Ristolainen has.  He is NHL ready and filling a top six roll at an entry level salary would allow the Hurricanes to use that salary to fill other positions with more experienced players.

5.  Nathan MacKinnon

He is a number one over all talent, but Carolina is pretty solid at center and I am not sure how well he would move to the wing.  In any other draft, he is a no brainer at number one.  I can't find anything in his game that is a weakness.  He is NHL ready, but I am not sure his skill set would fit with next year's team.  I think the Hurricanes need to try and find a player that can fill a roll next season to help conserve salary.

6.  Aleksander Barkov

See above.  He is very close to Mackinnon overall.  He is not as good in terms of skating, but his size makes it close. The Canes would be very fortunate to have this player in their system.  He is also NHL ready, but I have no idea if his skill set would translate to the wing.  I think the Hurricanes need to try and find a player that can fill a roll next season to help conserve salary.

7.  Darnell Nurse

I know we get to pick in the top six, but I am including Nurse at #7 because we don't know about the status of Nichushkin.  Nurse is a big kid and he likes to hit, but he is more offensive than defensive, think Pitkanen that likes to hit.  He probably needs another year in Juniors and a year in the AHL.  For a team that can let him develop, he could become a dominant defensemen.  He has the ability to be great, but he has an offensive mindset.  If he could follow Justin Faulk's defense first approach, he could be great!

I may add more about the later picks at a later time.  It would be really nice if we could trade some of our current prospects and assets (Pitkanen) for another first round pick.  This draft is very deep!!!

This draft is probably one of the deepest we've had in a decade...which is why, I think we should explore trading DOWN if we don't get in the top 5.  If we can snag a solid D-man (or even a solid backup goalie) and draft a little later in the 1st for our pick, I'm all for it.

OK, just once and then I'm done. One more loss and we almost certainly get Drouin, MacKinnon, or Jones. One more meaningless loss. OK, I know that tweaks people, but just once had to say it. Just that once, and now I'm done. No you can't lure me back into the tanking discussion. Mum's the word.

That said, we are going to get a very special player. Picking 5 or 6 will get us an elite forward or an elite, big strong dman depending on if we pick 5 or 6 and who gets picked ahead of us. 

Also, if this draft is half as special as Tripp keeps telling us, then picking high in the second round should give us a very good shot at a solid NHL player there also. 

Picking 5 is soo much better. Thank you guys for not winning last night. If we stay in the 5 slot we are guaranteed an elite forward if we go that way. 

If we pick 6 then Ristolainen or Nurse seem likely. 

Then there is that 1/12 chance we get THE man. 

That we had to grind out the lockout and then this is some nasty business. But the upside is we can flush the whole thing, get a VERY nice player or two or three in the draft, rebuild the D, and seriously contend next year.

Picking no later than 6th is going to bring the Canes a very special player from looking at the top prospects.  Thanks to those who posted information and mentioned their choices.  

So, the Canes will pick #5 most likely. 

We have roughly a 22% chance of picking #6. And about an 8% chance at #1. 

If we pick #1, given our needs, I think Seth Jones is the obvious choice.

Let's assume that all of the names above are available at #5 and #6. 

They won't, but ALMOST all of them will, and we can't tell which ones won't be. 

So Jones will go one to us or someone else.

MacKinnon and Drouin will certainly be gone. 

The names above almost uniformly round out #4-10. That's why there is no "other". 

They are going to pick one of those names.

So, of those names, who do you pick for us and why?

Edit. If mods want to merge this w the other draft thread, fine w/ me.

Edited by remkin

I have no idea who we will pick since we are so far away from actually drafting, and  the lottery hasn't even happened yet.  That, and there is no way I'm willing to 100% bet that MacKinnon or Drouin won't be there.  There are fallers every year.  So, I'm not a voter in the poll.  Great thread though Rem!

I think our needs rank out like this:

1.)  NHL ready (It's JR's style)

2.)  Big, sandpiper type defenseman

3.) Power Forward

1.) As far as NHL ready - MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, Nichuskin, maybe Ristolainen

2.) Defensman - Jones, Nurse, Ristolainen

3.) Power Forward - Nichuskin, Barkov

If we win the lottery, I think we take Seth Jones.

I think a team that could be willing to wait on Nichuskin will take him early.  If MacKinnon or Droin fall to us (unlikely) we take one of those 2.

If MacKinnon and Drouin are gone at our pick, it would likely come down to either Barkov, Monahan, Nurse, or Ristolainen, maybe Lindholm.  If Barkov is there, we pick Barkov because we could use a winger over another center.  If not, then Monahan. 

I don't think we take Darnell Nurse because he's not ready to jump in now (that's just a gut feeling).  I also like what I've see and read about Ristolainen over Nurse.  Ristolainen is has a nasty edge and he's big.  Nurse needs time to grow into his body and I don't think he has as much sandpaper as Ristolainen.

But, like I said, it's way early and very hard to predict.  Also, the contract status of guys like Nichuskin, Lindholm and Barkov may play into our pick.

(I'm for merging this with the draft thread, there are already enough threads talking about the same things.)

Edited by coastal_caniac

Barkov is scoring at like a .8 ppg pace at 17 or something similar to that. But Valeri Nichushkin is a gamebreaker. The kid lit it up in the KHL playoffs this year all the way to the Gagarin Cup Finals with Traktor. He has a KHL contract for 2 more years, however Traktor traded him to Dynamo for 10 million dollars, and Nichushkin got very very mad. He wanted to play only for Traktor before eventually moving to NA, and now he's saying he's thinking about NA *next* year. He can do it, he just has to buy out his own contract. 

It'll be interesting to see how far he falls considering scouts keep saying he's a top 3 pick no doubt, even with the Russian factor, because that's how good he is. Not to mention Russian players seem to develop better in the KHL before hopping the pond. Look at Tarasenko for the Blues, similar situation. Drafted with a KHL contract, told the Blues he's playing in KHL until he believes he's ready for decent NHL minutes, comes over and kicks booty. I think our organization can wait another year or two if they draft this guy, he's worth that wait. He's been called a faster Rick Nash, plays a very good power forward, north-south game. Some of his rushes are reminiscent of Erik Cole as well. Also been compared to Jordan Staal and called the next Evgeni Malkin.

He's big, fast, has all the tools. Decent shot, his playmaking has steadily increased since going pro.  Dominating player.  Of course, I'm just dreaming because JR doesn't draft Russians.

EDIT: I think it all goes down to the interviews and physicals pre-draft. If Nichushkin says something like "I'm willing to buy-out my KHL contract to play decent minutes in the NHL," I think JR should snag him. If he's still available. I doubt Barkov is around at 5th overall though. Then again we don't even know our position yet. I'll lurk back here monday night when the lottery has been called.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Very interesting points.

I left out Drouin and MacKinnon for two reasons.

1. It is unlikely they drop to 5/6. (Could happen, someone reaches for Nishuskun at #3, then #4 wants Barkov bad, or Nurse, but seems unlikely).

2. It is likely that everyone would just pick one of them and I wanted to get a feel for what people would do with the current most likely guys available. 

Also, I am curious about what people think now rather than in two months. We can do another one then and compare and contrast. :letssee:

Edited by remkin

If we win the lottery, I think we take Seth Jones.

If I was making that pick, I take Drouin.  He will make our 2nd line challenge the first line for scoring and that will make us very difficult to play against!

Well, he's my second choice, IF he is willing to play next season!!

He's my first choice, even if he's not willing to play next season. Developing in the KHL is immensely beneficial for young Russian players. But, I guess we need some help here and now. But this Traktor - Dynamo trade has everyone shifting in their seats about him staying in Russia, and it gives the glimmer of hope he may come over next season.