The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

Remkin I am one of the few people who would try to trade up to get Druoin. I don't know what it would take, but I think in the end it would be worth it. I have always been of the go all in for Drouin. What would I be willing to give up? A pitkanen or a skinner. There I said it. I would do that trade in a heart beat. So do you think I am crazy?

Remkin I am one of the few people who would try to trade up to get Druoin. I don't know what it would take, but I think in the end it would be worth it. I have always been of the go all in for Drouin. What would I be willing to give up? A pitkanen or a skinner. There I said it. I would do that trade in a heart beat. So do you think I am crazy?

I would do it for Pitkanen for sure, but not Skinner, unless you mean without including our first.  I MIGHT do that one...

I would do it either or. I mean if they keep skinner as a centerman it just makes sense. Nash with the right offseason training will fill our 3rd line role just fine. 

Rem, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I'm a bit surprised there isn't some love for Barkov. Very NHL ready already putting up a ton of points playing with men and one of the best two way guys there. He was ranked the #1 European Skater mid way and again just now in the final rankings. 

Most mock drafts and combined rankings list him as the 4th best player available. 

It's tricky because we need defense badly, next year. But while Jones may drop from #1, he isn't dropping to 5/6. 

So do you take Nurse, who is the non Jones dman of the moment, climbing the rankings like crazy, if Barkov or Nichuskin are there?

Do you take Ristolainen, who some have ranked as low as 8/9? No doubt what the team needs but....

I have to believe that Nichuskin will want to play in the NHL soon. If so and he's there, I just cannot pass on the "next Malkin". Our top 6 will be set for years. Still have to fix that defense. 

So going by my assumption that we can't get Jone/Drouin/MacKinnon. It comes down to this.

If Barkov or Nichuskin are available, which they will be if we pick 5 most likely, I'd have to take them. They are elite. Though I don't want to wait a year....

I think I am falling for Nurse if we go D. I know Ristolainen might be more ready, but Nurse can become dominant two ways. Compared to Pronger. Hard hitting, smooth skating, defensively sound, moves the puck, the early knock was not much offense. But now his offense has been coming. Total package. Very high end upside.

If this is the best draft ever and Nurse is slotted at #6 in combined rankings. Must be pretty good. 

So, if Nichuskin is there and will come right way he'd be my first pick.

If Nichuskin is there but looks like he wants to stay in Russia, I'd take Barkov. 

If Nichuskin staying in Russia causes #4 to take Barokov, I'd probably take Nurse.

If we pick #6 and Barkov and Nichuskin are gone, I'd take Nurse. 

Edited by remkin

Hi guys.  I have been a long time reader on these boards and now a first time poster.  I put my vote in for Elias Lindholm.  I believe that Seth, Nathan, Jonathan, and Aleksander will be taken as the top 4.  So that puts us in a spot to look at Valeri, and Elias as the top two forwards left in play.  I believe JR wont take a blueliner in the top 5 based on what he has previously done.  So that takes out Darnell and Rasmus.  I also believe that JR really wont want to deal with the Russian Factor of Valeri, so that leaves Elias as the go to choice.  I watched every one of Sweedens U20 World Jr. game this year to see Victor Rask play, and boy was I impressed with the game of Elias Lindholm.  His 2nd line with Molin and Collberg was one of the most dominant lines in the tourney.  He also had great cemestry with Victor Rask on the PP and hopefully that could help our lame PP down the road.  He might not be NHL ready, but he would be a real solid pick as he can play center or wing.  However, I will be hoping we can win the lottery and get Seth.      

Ya know, i question  a few of you[YOU] KNOW WHO U ARE, SAYING THE  canes should tank to get  a better pick, yea, ur real true caniacs, ticks me off to no end!Really rem, im calling u out, never thought i would hear those words out of  you.

Ryan Pullock from the Brandon Wheat Kings. He is from my home town, amazing tough defenceman who is not scared to fight, hit or go to the dirty areas. Not to mention he shot 105mph at the Wheat Kings skills comp. He is ranked 12 right now, but was 6th at the midpoint.

Ryan Pullock would be a on a list of later picks, if we could trade for an additional pick, and our first pick was a high end forward.  I watched a couple of games and he is very solid.  He just happens to be in a stacked draft.

No one said the team should tank. What we said was all the players with injuries shouldn't play and we should be evaluating our talent. Everyone knew on Sat night that if they won they would loose the draft spots and amazing all 3 teams loose in the 3rd period. Coincidence? I doubt it

So, who is a good comparison at the NHL level?

In one review that I have read Lindholm was compared to Zetterberg as a best case and Rich Peverly as a worst case.  He is a real hard working 2 way player that is not as flashy as the others. 

Edited by teamjelly

Ya know, i question  a few of you[YOU] KNOW WHO U ARE, SAYING THE  canes should tank to get  a better pick, yea, ur real true caniacs, ticks me off to no end!Really rem, im calling u out, never thought i would hear those words out of  you.

Just when I thought I was out....

Really I have never advocated the team tanking with the exception of not being too worried about the let up in the last period of the last game of a disastrous debacle of a season. If you read my posts I have always admitted that while it is best if the team lose just a couple more games, the team cannot and should not tank. No tank, just lose.

You gotta admit that one more would have put us in the #3 slot. One more loss. 

But you know it's really kind of lamenting the pattern that we have lived through just about every recent year now. Team has a nasty ugly prolonged slide right out of playoff contention, and usually within shouting distance of an elite draft pick. Only then do they start winning meaningless games. (Please show me a year since our ECF appearance that winning these games has helped the next year). All it does is to push us down the draft board. Last year we dropped to #8 which was far enough for JR to just jettison the pick for J. I like J. but wouldn't you rather have Sutter, Doumalin and Ryan Murray or Griffen Reighhart, or Alex Galchenyuk and a shot at J. this year also?

The year before? We dropped to #12. I really do think that Murphy can be a very nice offensive dman, but wouldn't you rather have had Nugent-Hopkins, Landeskog, Huberdeau, etc.

This drafting mid round combined w/ El Cheapo has led to how many playoff appearances? I'm just getting a little tired of being the "good fan" that cheers it's team to "victory of each and every game against all else", even at the expense of the future. I've watched for years now as people have brought out the "win no matter what cliche", only to watch the team get that winning feeling at the end of almost every year, only to have it mean zip the following year. Every year is a new year with new challenges. Top players are more important than a few meaningless wins from the year before.

That said, I have said over and over and over and over that I concede that the team cannot lay down. Players must always play to win. Not to get that winning feeling, but to keep their integrity and to not descend into a pathetic cynical loser syndrome that will grip a team that is laying down. Further, in hockey, when you seriously let up, you get hurt. Thus, by extension the coach can also not coach to overtly lose or the players will pick that up. The coach can do some experimenting. But must coach to win.

The GM can bring up AHL'ers and rest semi-injured players, and make trades that benefit the future at the expense of the now. This is called being a seller. It is not only best, but expected. 

Other than that, it is just the really painful experience of wanting your team to win but hoping they lose for the good of the future. Frankly I am sick of that, and want it to stop. High picks usually help with that.

To some this might be about winning each and every game. To me it is playoff hockey. Maybe that's the difference. If we are out of the playoffs then I want to be there next year. And short of outright tanking, the higher pick the better. I want to STOP BEING IN THE POSITION every year. I hate wanting my team to lose. I want it to stop.

I want to have a good or better great team to watch all season long an in the playoffs. We, of all teams, cannot usually go out and just buy our way out of a bad draft like NY, Philly, Pittsburgh, Chicago, etc. This makes our drafts even more important.

I will say this. So long as the team has even a semi-realistic shot at the playoffs, this does not apply. 

And yes, I know that one cannot predict for certain who the best players in draft will be. That is a reasonable point. But there is a direct correlation with the lower the pick the less likely to be a good NHL player. 

It is also reasonable to throw out the Oilers who, despite picking at the very top year after year have managed to be right there again this year. That can happen. Oddly picking #1 over and over commits the GM to picking forwards over and over. The Oil should have traded down at least once. But they are the exception.

I can't really explain it better than that, so I must stop since after tonight what's done is done and we pick where we pick.

So this is my last post on this topic. I will her-to-fore only reply with MUM's the word to this line of posting.

Edited by remkin

Ryan Pullock from the Brandon Wheat Kings. He is from my home town, amazing tough defenceman who is not scared to fight, hit or go to the dirty areas. Not to mention he shot 105mph at the Wheat Kings skills comp. He is ranked 12 right now, but was 6th at the midpoint.

Don't forget to vote.

I just have to take everybody's word on these prospects.  I haven't seen much/any of their play and my only knowledge is from the internet.  My wish would be for a physical defenseman first and then power forward.  This team has needed this for years, and it will be even more important going forward with the new alignment.

I'm thinking ahead here but a thought came to me while running. If we somehow won the lottery would you be willing to trade the pick to Colorado for one of there big Dman and the 3rd pick? Its tempting because they have alot of big Dmen and if we could still get Druoin oh man that to me would be perfect!

Chat should be open tonight if you guys want to join in during the draft lottery* (8pm EST)

Edited by Ichigo-1

If this draft is as deep as they say it is, we're going to get a very good player in the top 5. Also there are probably lots of good players to be had even in the 2nd round, you just never know.