The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

POLL: And with the 5th pick in the 2013 NHL Draft, the Carolina Hurricanes pick.....

Canes First Round Pick?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Canes do with thier first round pick?

• Pick Sean Monohan, C
    • Pick Aleksander Barkov, C (if available)
    • Pick Valerie Nichushkin, RW (if available)
    • Pick Darnell Nurse, D
    • Pick Rasmus Ristolainen, D
    • Trade Down out of 5th pick, ex: get 8th and 16th overall)
    • Trade Up, get an elite top-3 pick (won't come cheap)

Were picking 5th its official. So unless we trade up what pick are we gonna get?

One of Jones (Not Likely), MacKinnon (Not Likely), Drouin (Not Likely), Nichushkin, Barkov, or Ristolainen. All VERY good players!

we need a defencmen unless jr can pull off a trade before then, and i dont see that happening unless we overpay. heck we overpaid getting rid of jussi..........other option is draft a forward then trade....

Sources are reporting the Canes #5 overall pick has an upper body injury, possible concussion, and will be out indefinitely...

Edited by Red_Storm

I've said several times I want to improve our defense, but I think outside of Jones the top four forwards are too talented to pass on.

I voted Nichushkin, I think he is the best forward in the draft and some of the rankings agree. Some have said that if he was Canadian he would be ranked consistently in the top two or three. If he is committed to the NHL I take him without blinking, even if we have to wait a year or two. His size and talent are incredible, and I think his style fits this team (uses speed in transition). From what I've read, he is a competitor.

If his commitment is questionable, then I take Barkov. He reminds me of Getzlaf with his upright skating style, ability to drift into scoring areas, and his accurate writer/snap shot. He also uses his body well like Getzlaf. My concern is his skating and his ability to fit our style.

If Barkov is gone along with the big three, and there are still questions surrounding Nichushkin, then this is where things get interesting. It just seems like at #5 you should get more of a sure-thing or someone more eye-popping than Lindholm, Zadorov, Nurse, Ristolainen, or Monahan. Going #5 overall just seems high for any of these guys. I think there is a big drop-off from Jones to Ristolainen, Zadorov, and Nurse. The same for forwards after Nichushkin and Barkov. I just hope we end up with one of the top five and we don't reach. If we are set on drafting defense and Jones is gone, I would take Ristolainen or Zadorov.

Also, any information on Nichuskin and his situation (contract situation and whether he can get out of it, stated desire to play in the NHL, etc.) would be appreciated.

Edited by Kyrule

I agree about Nichuskin.  If he was Canadian, he would be the top ranked forward.  I might say the same thing about Ristolainen, if he was Canadian, he would be giving Jones a run at the top.  Jones has a bit more offense, Ristolainen is a lot nastier. 

I agree about Nichuskin.  If he was Canadian, he would be the top ranked forward.  I might say the same thing about Ristolainen, if he was Canadian, he would be giving Jones a run at the top.  Jones has a bit more offense, Ristolainen is a lot nastier. 

The Canes need nasty.

I would pick the nastier one since we are so much in need of grit.

Nichuskin would be an amazing pick for the canes , and would do wonders in the canes system , so he could very well be drafted by the canes  all we have to do is ask jim rutherford to please pick Nichuskin in this years nhl draft .  it's okay  the canes can wait for him . but what they are saying about him is he is a lot like malkin .  think about it  , a talent like malkin on the canes ???  YES PLEASE !!!!

Edited by Canesfanforever

Well, at this point, I think it goes down something like this:

1. Jones (that lottery was rigged)

2. MacKinnon (first true 1st line center for Fla)

3. Drouin (one day replaces St. Louis)

4. Barkov (no way they look at Nichuskin after the Radulov debacle)

Of Nichuskin, Monahan, Lindholm, Nurse, or Ristolainen at #5, I go with -

Monahan if a forward, Ristolainen if a defenseman.  I let somebody else deal with the Russian factor.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Of Nichuskin, Monahan, Lindholm, Nurse, or Ristolainen at #5, I go with -

Monahan if a forward, Ristolainen if a defenseman.  I let somebody else deal with the Russian factor.

If it goes down like that, it has to be Ristolainen or Nichuskin.  The others are a step below.  Nurse is maybe just half a step down. I would add Shinkaruk to the remaining list, possibly the top of that list for the Canes.  #5 id too high for them though.  That being said, some of these mid to late first rounders are going to have GREAT careers.

I tend to agree I'd rather go half a step below and not deal with the Russian factor. Rolled the dice last year on Semin, double or nothing is just crazy.

If it goes down like that, it has to be Ristolainen or Nichuskin.  The others are a step below.  Nurse is maybe just half a step down. I would add Shinkaruk to the remaining list, possibly the top of that list for the Canes.  #5 id too high for them though.  That being said, some of these mid to late first rounders are going to have GREAT careers.

If we grab a defender, I agree, I like Ristolainen better than Nurse, and actually, I like his "style" of game better than that of Seth Jones, at least for what this team needs from a defender.

I certainly don't agree Monahan is a step down from Nichuskin.  It's a bad comparison anyway.  Nichuskin is a left wing power forward, Monahan is a center, and plays more of a two-way skill game. 

Monahan is a safe pick, is NHL ready, and is a NA, and fills a need - JR's style all the way

Edited by coastal_caniac

Serious question: have all you guys had good looks at these draft prospects?  It sounds like you have seen a lot of film or games.

Or are you basing this in scouting reports?

I'm not being critical or a wise guy, just wondering.  I have zero time or interest in looking at prospects, so it is foreign to me.

I see that everyone is really high up on us drafting Ristolainen, but I think drafting him at #5 is a big reach.  Most of the mocks that I have seen have him going in the 8 to 12 range.  I still really doubt that JR will go D with this pick just to fill the hole on our back end.  We need to fix the D in free agency.  The only way I see us going D is if we trade down.  Coastal, from what your saying it sounds like Monahan plays a similar game to Lindholm. 

I'll bet 99% of us only know from scouting reports.

I did watch most of the World Jr tourney a few months back, so I did get a good look at some players.  I watched Every Sweeden and USA game.

Nich hands down. We need to get bigger here people. This guy is a 6.4 205 pound guy. He will only get bulkier. If we are going to compete we have to get big and physical.

Serious question: have all you guys had good looks at these draft prospects?  It sounds like you have seen a lot of film or games.

Or are you basing this in scouting reports?

I'm not being critical or a wise guy, just wondering.  I have zero time or interest in looking at prospects, so it is foreign to me.

I've seen Monahan play in person.  He's the real deal, and is a man playing with boys. 

The others mostly watching on TV, a lot of scouting reports and expert analyses.  I really get into the prospect world.

I'm not condoning picking Monahan, just saying if he is there, it just seems like a good safe pick, and more along our style of drafting.

If we pick Nichuskin, it will be based on interviews and his contract status, which none of us have privy too right now.

Edited by coastal_caniac