The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
rememberthewhale

Who should stay and who should go for next year

The only one I think that is completely expendable is McBain...the rest need a serious sit-down come-to-Jesus...

Use Joni as trade bait.

Remkin I hope thats our second line come this fall. If we cant win Jones it has to be druoin over Mackinnon. We dont need another center I think wing is where we are hurting, and if I remember right Druoin plays left wing. I love that second line then for a 3rd I could see a Ruutu/Nash/Dalpe line or something of that nature.

Remkin I hope thats our second line come this fall. If we cant win Jones it has to be druoin over Mackinnon. We dont need another center I think wing is where we are hurting, and if I remember right Druoin plays left wing. I love that second line then for a 3rd I could see a Ruutu/Nash/Dalpe line or something of that nature.

I agree, though I wonder if MacKinnon could play wing. So many of these guys (like Skinner) come up as centers and move over. Things change on these things but right now MacKinnon is the almost unanimous #2 on mock drafts I've seen.

Druoin is kind of a consensus #3, but I'v seen Barkov and Nichushkin there also. 

Edit: so I checked again and now for the first time I see the most recent Mock Draft with Drouin at #2. Has us picking #5 and taking Nichushkin. I may have to stop posting here if we pick Nichushkin because I cannot spell that.

But seriously, Drouin is a magician, but also a small guy in hockey terms. If we do pick him we are going to need a couple of tough guys out there. 

Edited by remkin

Remkin either one would be a huge plus for us. The main reason I like Drouin more is he played his way up to Canadas first line in the WJC and Mackinnon never got off the 4th line. Plus when mackinnon was injured this year some Druoin took over as the scoring leader. I just Druoin mixing better on that second line. He even says he is a playmaker and thats what that line needs. Let Skinner Snipe. Jordan Bang and let Druoin be the playmaker dishing out left and right.

Remkin either one would be a huge plus for us. The main reason I like Drouin more is he played his way up to Canadas first line in the WJC and Mackinnon never got off the 4th line. Plus when mackinnon was injured this year some Druoin took over as the scoring leader. I just Druoin mixing better on that second line. He even says he is a playmaker and thats what that line needs. Let Skinner Snipe. Jordan Bang and let Druoin be the playmaker dishing out left and right.

I do agree with the playmaker part. That line does need that. The folks that hate smurfs might have to be convinced. He is described as "undersized". 

Both he and MacKinnon have highlight reels that are quite amazing though and I'd pay to see either.

Edited by remkin

That one play where Druoin moves the puck through 2 defenders and to the net but the goalie knocks it away then Druoin fights to the wall puts his shoulder into the defense goes back to the net and sets up his guy for an easy score sells me that this kid with another 5 or 10 pounds will not be just pushed off the puck. I think if we free up Jordan to hit more that line will work out. As who I would get rid of ALmost all the defense sans Faulk. Let Bellemore and Sanguinetti fight it out during training camp and lets get one Veteran Dman thats not offensive. Murphy will bring the offense and Faulk in an 82 game season may give us about 10 goals. Harrison can stay on the third pairing. 4th line needs to be Nasty. So dwyer brent and a brusier... maybe westgarth maybe someone else but that 4line needs to be a bruising line good for about 12 mins a game. We roll 2 good scorling lines and that 3rd line kind of a hybrid scoring/checking line I think we will be pretty good.

Almost everyone in management has to be sitting on coals. I personally like JR, being handcuffed and still bringing a cup to a city isn't easy.

I'm just not sold Muller brings what's needed but I feel this has been discussed in length in other topics.

If I was going to make a move it'd have to be Mcbain. He would bring the best return, but I'm not sure you can find a trade partner who just wants to swap D. Usually those type deals are defensemen for forwards. I've been hot and cold on Mcbain but if we're gonna keep pairing him with other offensive defensemen with the same mindset as him it's just not going to work out from any standpoint. He needs a stay at home defensemen paired with him. We have 2 and Harrison is a 3rd pairing with Gleason having an off year.

Somebody posted that we have Larose for one more year. That is incorrect. He is an unrestricted free agent next year so thankfully we will be done with that contract. But of the 7M we could save by getting rid of Brent, Larose, Corvo, MAB, Wallace and Ellis.

.75M raise to Eric

1M raise to Ruutu

1.5M raise to Jordan

.2M raise to Tlusty

3.45M raise to Skinner

.05M raise to Westgarth

.25M raise to Dwyer

1M raise to Gleason

.2M raise to Mcbain

.05M raise to Faulk

.75M raise to Harrison

.2M raise to Cam

Total raises 9.4M

And that isn't even a full team or take into account the restricted free agents or payments for old players (Jussi). There just isn't a lot of financial flexibility with our team. We can only solidify our defense through the draft or trades where with the new cap in place, we'll be getting pennies on the dollar for players like Joni. The future looks pretty bleak. :bag:

D: Faulk, Bellemore, Harrison, Gleason, Joni, McBain, Corvo, MAB, Murphy

F: Semin, E Staal, J Staal, Tlusty, Skinner, Ruutu, Dwyer, LaRose, Westgarth, Nash, Dalpe, Brent, Bowman

G: Ward, Ellis, Peters

Bold = keepers, Strike = move/cut/buyout/don't sign, Italics = unsure

Off the top of the head, maybe some points to push someone from one side to another may come up.

I'm stealing your little format there.

F: Semin, E. Staal, J. Staal, Tlusty, Skinner, Ruutu, Terry, Nash, Blanchard, Wallace, Dwyer, Dalpe, McGinn, Nodl, Rask, Samson, Woods, Welsh, LaRose, Westgarth, Brent, Bowman, Boychuk

D: Faulk, Harrison, Bellemore, Murphy, Lowe, Sanguinetti, Gleason, Sova, Corvo, McBain, Bergeron, Gragnani, 

G:Ward, Peters, Muse, Murphy, Ellis, Mahalak, Altshuller

I'm stealing your little format there.

F: Semin, E. Staal, J. Staal, Tlusty, Skinner, Ruutu, Terry, Nash, Blanchard, Wallace, Dwyer, Dalpe, McGinn, Nodl, Rask, Samson, Woods, Welsh, LaRose, Westgarth, Brent, Bowman, Boychuk

D: Faulk, Harrison, Bellemore, Murphy, Lowe, Sanguinetti, Gleason, Sova, Corvo, McBain, Bergeron, Gragnani, 

G:Ward, Peters, Muse, Murphy, Ellis, Mahalak, Altshuller

dont know why you would wanna dump westgarth, this team needs toughness, muller may end up having to put a tough guy on sfinners line to protect skinner. we can have anyone running jeff anymore. id also keep bowman, hes cheap and signed and id hate to give up on a young hard working kid with a history of good playoff preformances. toronto gave up on tlusty too earlyand now the regret it. bowman gets one more year. and why is atshuller crossed off?? hes a good junior goalie and its not like we have proven backups.........id like to see samson and dalpe given more than a couple games audition. 

I know no one is advocating moving him, but Ruutu is showing me something. He still has top 6 skills. Do NOT trade Ruutu.

If we got Seth Jones it would fix our most gaping problem quickly and for years to come. But if we get MacKinnon or Drouin, or probably Nichushkin (now I'm good with top 4). We could roll 3 potent lines. 

I am still in the J comes around camp. Think of how E came around last year. 

Just gotta to find some way to fix the d. That is such a concern that I could see JR reaching for Nurse or Ristolainen even from a top pick. Not that in the end that might not be good. The more I read about Nurse the more I like him. 

Edited by remkin

Somebody posted that we have Larose for one more year. That is incorrect. He is an unrestricted free agent next year so thankfully we will be done with that contract. But of the 7M we could save by getting rid of Brent, Larose, Corvo, MAB, Wallace and Ellis.

.75M raise to Eric same hit as this year

1M raise to Ruutu same hit as this year

1.5M raise to Jordan 2M raise

.2M raise to Tlusty same hit as this year

3.45M raise to Skinner 4.325M raise

.05M raise to Westgarth same hit as this year

.25M raise to Dwyer .275M raise

1M raise to Gleason same hit as this year

.2M raise to Mcbain same hit as this year

.05M raise to Faulk same hit as this year

.75M raise to Harrison 0.8M raise

.2M raise to Cam same hit as this year

Total raises 9.4M 7.4M

And that isn't even a full team or take into account the restricted free agents or payments for old players (Jussi). There just isn't a lot of financial flexibility with our team. We can only solidify our defense through the draft or trades where with the new cap in place, we'll be getting pennies on the dollar for players like Joni. The future looks pretty bleak. :bag:

You have to remember that those under the same contract as this year that they take the average so that the cap hit is the same each year.  So I made the changes on your numbers in red (I hope you don't mind, I love numbers).  The only ones where the cap hit changes are those who signed extensions.

But still, with the cap going down, there won't be much flexibility.

I think some teams are going to be pressed tight against the cap though, might mean for some interesting dealings and buyouts this summer.

The cap squeeze could make for an interesting anomaly. One year where some teams have to move a guy they would really like to keep. Maybe JR can find one of his undervalued type guys there. 

"If we got Seth Jones it would fix our most gaping problem quickly and for years to come. But if we get MacKinnon or Drouin, or probably Nichushkin (now I'm good with top 4). We could roll 3 potent lines." 

We are not getting Jones because we will not finished dead last which means that MacKinnon, Drouin or Nichushkin will be selected by us (best available player).

"The cap squeeze could make for an interesting anomaly. One year where some teams have to move a guy they would really like to keep. Maybe JR can find one of his undervalued type guys there. "

This is where  JR will be looking  to fix our defense issues.

.75M raise to Eric

1M raise to Ruutu

1.5M raise to Jordan

.2M raise to Tlusty

3.45M raise to Skinner

.05M raise to Westgarth

.25M raise to Dwyer

1M raise to Gleason

.2M raise to Mcbain

.05M raise to Faulk

.75M raise to Harrison

.2M raise to Cam

Total raises 9.4M

That was me...I checked again, and you're right. Larose is a UFA. Let him go, there's just no way to justify what we're dropping on him currently.

.....We are not getting Jones because we will not finished dead last which means that MacKinnon, Drouin or Nichushkin will be selected by us (best available player).

What?  You don't play the Lottery?  Believe!

If we can get into the 3rd spot, then we have a 58% chance of keeping that top 3 pick. I don't like Nischuskin(?) because I don't think he's leaving Russia. Drafting him is a huge risk when there are plenty of other good players.

I know no one is advocating moving him, but Ruutu is showing me something. He still has top 6 skills. Do NOT trade Ruutu.

If we got Seth Jones it would fix our most gaping problem quickly and for years to come. But if we get MacKinnon or Drouin, or probably Nichushkin (now I'm good with top 4). We could roll 3 potent lines. 

I am still in the J comes around camp. Think of how E came around last year. 

Just gotta to find some way to fix the d. That is such a concern that I could see JR reaching for Nurse or Ristolainen even from a top pick. Not that in the end that might not be good. The more I read about Nurse the more I like him. 

The only concern about Ruu is, and I love the guy, is the injuries. He is amazing when he is healthy, but it has been a plague on his career unfortunately. I don't think we should move him, but I think if it was to happen that would be the why.

I'll make a probable unpopular suggestion that if we don't end up with Seth Jones and instead end up with one of the top forwards, trade Skinner for a 5-6M range DMan.

I just think he's a ticking time bomb and we could end up holding nothing.  The concussions worry me.

Edited by hag65

We are not getting Jones because we will not finished dead last which means that MacKinnon, Drouin or Nichushkin will be selected by us (best available player).

This is probably true, but one more reason to be in the top 3. 

I love mock drafts. Just so much fun to speculate. And they do usually get the top pick right. Then they get all kinds of wrong. And the consensus top pick being a d man does throw some uncertainty in there. 

There have been years when there are GM's who want that offensive superstar more than anything. And no matter how much the mock drafters push the big D man, there is a chance that say Florida goes for Drouin. Then the number 2 team was really planning on MacKinnon all along, they had literally inked him in. Elite guy compared to Stamkos. Or they were drooling over Drouin and now that he's gone they want that offense. They pick MacKinnon. Suddenly the #3 team has Jones still on the board. 

I guarantee he won't fall to #4 or #5 though. 

So not only could we potentially win the lottery, but sitting at 2 or 3 it is possible that Jones slides a couple of spots. 

Top 3 is going to be in the sweet spot. Still good a few more notches down, but not the sweet spot.

In the last 16 years the number of defenseman taken #1......ONE. 

Don't get me wrong. All the conventional wisdom is that Jones is the pick and he probably will be. 

But I would not be shocked if the number one pick is either Drouin or MacKinnon. 

Defensive studs win games, but offensive superstars win games and sell tickets.