The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bluedevil58

This is the darkest era of Hurricanes history....

kids that have been involved with youth hockey since the team moved here in 1997 are now young adults many of them have kids who play hockey.  I was impressed with a young girl who sat a few rows down from me who knew all the rules of the game.  Despite all the lackluster seasons the team still draws a number of fans to the game.  The outcry of a lackluster season is evidence people care about the game.

I have enjoyed watching the Canes in the playoffs from Montreal.  All we heard from the media was how electric the arena was.  I couldn't help thinking how proud I was of the Carolina fans.  It sure shut up all those people who were saying hockey does not belong in markets like Carolina.  Unfortunately, people haven't had a chance to appreciate the Caniac Nation Playoff Style for a while now....

I have enjoyed watching the Canes in the playoffs from Montreal.  All we heard from the media was how electric the arena was.  I couldn't help thinking how proud I was of the Carolina fans.  It sure shut up all those people who were saying hockey does not belong in markets like Carolina.  Unfortunately, people haven't had a chance to appreciate the Caniac Nation Playoff Style for a while now....

Very true.  AllStar weekend gave the rest of the league an open window to playoffs 'Carolina style' and the reviews that came in from all over (including the US, Canada and Europe) were glowing.

Weehawk is spot on, winning cures everything.  Right now they're not winning (in a disastrous way), they raised ticket and parking prices and for some crazy reason they're still advertising playoff priority to potential new STH's.  Unfortunately nothing feels good about this organization right now but if they come out of the gates strong next season, the dark clouds will give way to sunshine qucker than we went from 40F and sleeting to 90F and sunny here in Raleigh the past few days.

brighter days are ahead   , i agree TSA, lets play spoiler last 9 games, in games   that we can, and get a healthy  cammer back..

I obviously wish The Whale never moved but we won't get in to that. That being said I am proud to be a CAROLINA Hurricanes fan. You guys are a great fan base . The trips I've made to Raleigh have been top notch including two finals games that banner raising and Ron Francis night(just had to relive the good times).

Sorry collie...if we were actually winning, I'd still be getting up at 1 am to chat with you guys...but alas...

tonight has to mark one of the lower participants in the chat room or the post game discussion in some time

No suprise, team stinks and it's worse at the Arena.

The one thing the last few years,I've been proud of the fan base is the do fill the building even when losing , but not anymore. The last few games, esp last night remind me of 1999-2000, when detriot, NY, toronto etc would come in, and the building would be louder for their goals than Canes goals.. thought we had FINALLY passed that kind of embarrassment, but NOPE.. It's back with a vengence now, and it really Sucks!.

Karmonos and company really have some work to do , to get this back on track,

The Philly fans were loud at the game when they retired Rod's jersey...I just think that there's a large Flyers contingent in the area.

Sorry Collie. I was at a friends house watching the game so no chat last night. None tonight either. I don't know if it the darkest era in Canes history but i must admit it has been one of the longest short seasons in history.

Jeff Skinner is now 819 in the league with his -20. Jordan Staal is closing the gap at 816 in the league with a -19.

and we play them millions of $$ to earn this distinction?

and we play them millions of $$ to earn this distinction?

Same reason we paid Eric all those $$$'s last season for the same distinction...and Rod those $$$'s for a few seasons where he was worst in +/-

Same reason we paid Eric all those $$$'s last season for the same distinction...and Rod those $$$'s for a few seasons where he was worst in +/-

Well, Rod's seasons where he had a horrible +/- were his last two in the league, so it's not like the Canes had any say in the matter about him earning the right to stay with the team.

Eric's two sub-par seasons had him leading the team in scoring by a good margin, so there were offsetting reasons to avoid focusing only on the +/-. 

The darkerst era??? Really? This was an injury plauged season, and I EXPECT a major defensive overhaul of this team in the offseason. Coaches and Management are going to be playing for there future. The writing is on the wall if we dont start out hot were done in this new division. So I believe between the draft, and FA were gonna see some moves. Unless people want to be fired which I don't think anyone wants that.

I don't think this is the darkest era, but in the top 3.

For a comparison of how life *could* be, check out the splash screen at:

redwings.nhl.com

22 in a row.  Let's start with 2 in a row.  That just might be the *brightest* era in Hurricanes history.

I was thinking about the Red Wing streak this morning.  The thought that came to mind was "good teams do this".  They had a challenge at the end of the season and met it.  What ever "it" is, they have "it."  Leadership.  Toughness.  Depth.  Whatever.

The Canes do not have "it."  They are persistently fragile when a "must win" game comes up.  This has to change.

The Canes do not have "it."  They are persistently fragile when a "must win" game comes up.  This has to change.

Except, oddly enough, in the playoffs. Just ask Buffalo, Edmonton, New Jersey and Boston.

Except, oddly enough, in the playoffs. Just ask Buffalo, Edmonton, New Jersey and Boston.

Yeah, I was there.  You can add both Toronto and Montreal to the list.

I'm talking regular season.  And if you don't get to the playoffs, none of this "deep run" stuff matters.

yeah,if you cant beat Tampa Bay,who had already clinched and was just playing not to get injured and a few bonus stats,than you simply dont have "it"

We were a playoff team to start the season,but sprinkle in a few injuries and AHLers who clearly wasnt ready,and our season came crashing down,the problem is a lack of leadership on this team,from the Coaching staff to the Captain,All muller could say was "Stick to the System" even when his "System" was failing, and all Eric could say is nothing!!!! The only one was saying what needed to be said was our #2 goaltender

We used to have it,remember in 2006,when our motto was "Whatever it takes!!!, And we won the cup,remember in 2008 when we started off the season bad,then signed Cole and fired Lavi,and fought our way to the 6th seed,and eventually to the ECF

Coincidently we seemed to have lost it, when #12 started wearing the C and #17 retired,interesting!!!!

I don't really think it matters who is wearing what letter on their jersey. It's not like people listen to them just because they have that letter, what matters is whatever needing to be said is said. I don't know if no one's speaking in the locker room (Although JR hinted that it was a quiet one this year) but we need that guy. Looking at Detroit's roster, you have guys who have played in the post-season their whole career. Most of these guys have never sat out. It's all they know. Most of our guys have played without seeing post-season once, much less every year. Detroit has players who know when it's going right and when things start to shift away from good. They know the expectations and play off of it. Our expectations are different. We are just looking to make the playoffs once, let alone consistently.

That's not to say JR isn't trying to fix our problem. We've added a piece from a successful Washington team in Semin (in terms of qualifying for the playoffs), a piece from another successful organization Pittsburgh in Jordan Staal. Both were fairly large parts of their respective team's success as well. So I don't think we need to blame who wears the 'C' even if he should be the one to speak up when no one else does, the fact we have no one on our roster who speaks up when no one will is a scary one. It's not one guy, it's everyone collectively failing to right the ship this season. That's why we're looking to mold a new defense with new guys. That's why JR attached the word veteran to defensemen when talking about who he wants to acquire. I just hope someone we acquire whether it's a signing or a trade comes in with that ability. To speak up, or lead, or whatever you want to call it. We have a serious lack of experience when it comes to being successful. 

Call this past season an adjustment year. Things are shifting. We were unfortunate and lost our goalie to a serious injury, then half our roster defense. It would have been an easier adjustment should those things not have happened. But we need to be happy that it did, because if those injuries never happened we most likely would have made the post-season, but the team wouldn't be looking to improve the weak defense, a weakness our team has had since 2006. (in my opinion)

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Detroit has players who know when it's going right and when things start to shift away from good. They know the expectations and play off of it. Our expectations are different. We are just looking to make the playoffs once, let alone consistently.

That's not to say JR isn't trying to fix our problem. We've added a piece from a successful Washington team in Semin (in terms of qualifying for the playoffs), a piece from another successful organization Pittsburgh in Jordan Staal. Both were fairly large parts of their respective team's success as well. So I don't think we need to blame who wears the 'C' even if he should be the one to speak up when no one else does, the fact we have no one on our roster who speaks up when no one will is a scary one. . 

Call this past season an adjustment year. Things are shifting. We were unfortunate and lost our goalie to a serious injury, then half our roster defense. It would have been an easier adjustment should those things not have happened. But we need to be happy that it did, because if those injuries never happened we most likely would have made the post-season, but the team wouldn't be looking to improve the weak defense, a weakness our team has had since 2006. (in my opinion)

Unfortunatley,Pittsburgh and Washington usually makes the playoffs,so youre right Semin and Jordan should have spoken up alot more,but Jordan didnt,and I think after Semins experience in Washington,he didnt want to rattle the cages in his new locker room just yet,he all but garaunteed we make the playoffs next season,so I expect he will be alot more confident in speaking up next year. And I wouldn't be surprised to se a letter on his jersey to start the season.

I know the letters are really just recognition from the coaches and teammates,but from my opinion,if I had a letter,I would feel more obligated to lead by example,.and let poeple know WE are not working hard enough.   That is something we havent heard Eric's teammates say about him and I havent heard them say anything much about him at all in there interviews.  I think Eric is a great player and a good person,but I just dont think he fits the captain role,like Rod and Ron did,I think Eric got the C from the Syd/Ovi trend that a teams best player should wear the C by defualt. But you are right,Eric has only made the playoffs twice in his entire career,even though he has a Cup,looking at it just from playoff experience,Jordan and Semin would make better Captains. Thats what I worry about,the same way with the Carolina Panthers, if the org thinks the fan's just expect the occasional playoff appearance,they will see no reason to spend to be competitive!!

and you are right about the last part,In all honestly, our season was over when Wardo went down,Ellis was ok and we have seen the Peters debacle one season before.

Coincidently we seemed to have lost it, when #12 started wearing the C and #17 retired,interesting!!!!

As you may remember, that wasn't the only change, though. Staal was given the "C" just as the team started a purge of the "old" (30+) team veterans (players who had been with the team for years).

While Brind'Amour was the most significant loss as far as leadership, the end of that season (09-10) also saw the departure of a significant portion of the older team vets: Cullen, Walker, Wallin and Whitney. (Aaron Ward could also be included, though he had only been back for a short time).

By the end of the next season (10-11), the few remaining "older team vets" would be gone: Cole, Samsonov, and Corvo. (Of course, Corvo did return later.)

Last season (11-12), no one fit the bill as an older team vet, and to start this past season, only Corvo and LaRose (having turned 30) would count towards that category.

So Staal was given the "C", and the group of players you would hope would be there to provide the leadership that would back him up was removed from the team - and replaced with young, inexperienced players, and the occasional short-term older journeyman vet.

And while there are a number of team veterans who will be 30 by the start of next season, how much of that older leadership will be on the roster is still to be seen:

LaRose (31) UFA

Corvo (36) UFA

Dwyer (30)

Gleason (30)

Harrison (30)

Ruutu (30)

Of course, once players get older, their "numbers" can often be replaced by younger, and cheaper, players. And that is a trend the team has followed for several years, perhaps necessitated by budget constraints. Unfortunately, something else important is lost in that exchange.