The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Greg-N-Ral

Jordan Staal vs. B. Sutter

Jordan Staal vs Brandon Sutter  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better player Jordan Staal or Brandon Sutter? (not asking who won the trade)

• Jordan Staal is better
    • Brandon Sutter is better (putting aside he's no longer a Cane)
    • About tie actually
    • Not sure yet

Who is the better player Jordan Staal or Brandon Sutter?
(not asking who won the trade)

So far, I must say while I was very happy when the Canes landed Jordan... I must now admit, Jordan Staal is playing below my expectations.  Perhaps I was expecting to much?

Putting away any ill-will of Sutter leaving and not being a Cane right now, being objective -- for real -- Who do you think is the better player Jordan Staal or Brandon Sutter?

Again, poll is not asking who won "the trade" -- just a poll to see who the better player is now that you have actually seen Jordan Staal for 40+ games in a Canes uniform

BTW, I've asked the Pens board the same core question... they had some things to say (some good insights too)... after about 50 comments/votes here's what the Pit-based fans think...

So what does our Triangle fan base have to say?

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

legend-1 and Ichigo-1... lame...   amazing other NHL boards actually like to talk about hockey. 

For the rest of us, what do you think now that you have seen J. Staal for 40+ games in a Canes uniform and have years of games with Brandon? 

Highlights of the Pens forum talk

The Staals look like a boy band

Reimer could be a Staal

a guy who says the topics already been done

a guy who says the trade was a year ago why are we discussing this

insert 2 or 3 decent posts over 3 pages.

Yea, that's about where I see this thread going myself.

Highlights of the Pens forum talk

The Staals look like a boy band

Reimer could be a Staal

a guy who says the topics already been done

a guy who says the trade was a year ago why are we discussing this

insert 2 or 3 decent posts over 3 pages.

Yea, that's about where I see this thread going myself.

BTW, you certainly didn't summarize that Pens thread/poll well...  

You are also the same poster that said Seth Jones highlights are lame and Jones doesn't look special... (don't think you'll make it as an NHL scout)... anyway this is about Jordan vs Brandon

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

BTW, you certainly didn't summarize that Pens thread/poll well...  

You are also the same poster that said Seth Jones highlights are lame and Jones doesn't look special... (don't think you'll make it as an NHL scout)... anyway this is about Jordan vs Brandon

You should prolly go read that thread again then. I enjoyed how the Staal brothers resemble the Hanson brothers (the band) and how Reimer could be a Staal based on his face. Absolutely riveting hockey conversation going on over there.

Secondly, here's what I said in the Seth Jones thread.

I see a highlight film of a guy shooting the puck into walls of players. Final 2 minutes were good stuff first 3 minutes for the most part left me scratching my head as to how they thought those were highlights.

So nice try on shoving words in my mouth. You picked a terrible highlight video on him, I didn't say Seth Jones didn't look special did I?

Edited by legend-1

I voted for the tie.  I thought we were talking about Kirk Muller's "tie" since the Canes were playing the Jets in Winnipeg tonight ;)

tie_zps87de0854.jpg

Like this whole topic really matters. 

My $.02  :yawn:

Hey Jussi is not here anymore...can you tell people to stop yelling out his name during the National Anthem? :usa:

Jordan is the better overall player...but is he twice as good? His salary is twice that of Brandon's. On that part, I think we're overpaying him because of the name on his sweater. Actually, I don't "think", I know that part to be true. 

hard to tell whos better at this point, but i do think the canes would have ben better off keeping the lower salaried sutter and the highly rated defence prospect and the high draft pick we gave away.

Bringing in JStaal was just as much of a marketing move as a player personnel move.

I agree with this. Big moves attract investors, other good players, more fans, etc. As far as performance goes, I always loved Brandon Sutter and wanted him to break out and be more than the checking line center. Great speed, great wrist shot. I would say his numbers probably look better since he's playing on an extremely talented Penguins team. I still expect that Jordan will be the better player in the long run and I hope that he steps up next season. I just haven't noticed ANY chemistry between him and Jeff Skinner or anyone else they throw on that 2nd line and I expect that has a lot to do with Jordan's numbers being so similar to Brandon's. Jordan is here to stay and I fully expect Sutter will be a Penguin for a long time, unless he turns into Jordan Staal 2.0 and wants more than a 3rd line center role. But I think Jordan will make some improvements this summer and hopefully we can find some way to compliment him on the 2nd line. Need to clone Alex Semin and put him with Jordan.

Ok, so far, combining our Canes site here with the Pens NHL site, the voting on this is going as follows:

Jordan Staal is better -- 11 votes 

Brandon Sutter is better -- 11 votes 
About tie actually -- 20 votes
Not sure yet -- 2 votes

Can't get much closer!

Glad to see Jo. Staal look a little better lately.   i Think the wildcard here is Dumoulin.  Since we are pining for new D blood, will this come to bite the Canes?

The good/bad news is that it will unfold before all of our very own eyes in the upcoming years as we settle into realignment.  I don't know.

Very simply, we shall see.  For all we know, he is another McBain.  But maybe not...

Edited by wxray1

I said in the beginning and I will say it again----okay to get Jordan (a little pricey) but

not at the cost of Brandon.( But Brandon likely sealed his fate when he didn't want to

sign a long term deal, and took a short term one instead. May have been viewed as him

not being fully intent on being part of the "core" .)

Brandon was one of my favorites.(Our captain has never been my favorite so doubt

his brother will be. They are both very skilled, of course, and make the team stronger.)

But Branson plays a different style, never takes a shift off and has a huge hockey

pedigree. Losing him was a loss to the team IMO.

I have very little doubt that Jordan will emerge next year.

To me the only question is that of cost. And as others and I have pointed out, that will take time to know. 

It really does stink that it took Sutter to get it done, because Staal/Staal/Sutter down the middle would be hard to beat (Maybe only beaten by Crosby/Malkin/Sutter). JR insists that Sutter was the deal breaker. But then I have to wonder if we really needed to throw Doumalin in there. Lord knows we need all the d prospects we can get. 

My guess is that the actual biggest wild card on this trade however will be how Pouliot turns out. 

#8 pick is pretty high. It would appear that JR didn't see any can't miss guys in last year's draft at #8, but still, that's a high pick.

But are we better long term with J. than Sutter? 

Look, I seriously like what Sutter brings, but J. is better, by a lot. 

Pittsburgh is lucky to have Crosby/Malkin 1-2. And for what they need Sutter is probably as good as J. But not for what we need.

That said, we do need D. 

Edited by remkin