The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

First thing to do is learn how to scout players like the Red Wings do. The Wings have been to the playoffs 21 straight years and still counting. That did not happen by recycling players.

Except for Osgood and Hasek...

I still have a mancrush on Erik Cole, even when I mancrush on Semin. I'd recycle him, let him be close to home with his family, and retire with the organization. He also may help Skinner, I remember reading in several places he was a big help to Skinner his rookie year, also his best year. Imagine a Cole - Skinner - Ruutu line. You'd think Skinner would have all the space on the ice he could want.

On defense, let's bring back Tanabe! Just kidding :P But one guy I really would like to see us pry away is Slava Voynov. Young, russian, and a pretty solid dman who can contribute offensively as well. Also, he played for Chelyabinsk Traktor, same team as Nichushkin, so if we pick Nich I'd say go after this guy as well. Start a little Russian Raleigh Community in the organization. Similar to the Finnish Connection we had with Pits, Ruutu, and Jokinen. But you gotta think Pits may be going or bought out (despite what JR says) and Jokinen is already gone, so. I'd take Nich, Voynov, and Semin to replace them :P (His ELC ended this season) He'd be hard to get though, with LA's success the past two years. 

Alex Edler is probably going to be available as a free agent, but we need a more defensive minded guy for our second pairing so. I'd go after Byfuglien if he was being shopped, but he has a cap hit of 5.2 mill until 15/16. 

Mark Fraser is among hit leaders for defensemen with 153, and has been on a one year contract the past four years. Maybe he's deserving of a real contract now? Most recent salary is 600k, but I think he's RFA. He also is tied for second among dmen this season for +/- with +18.

One obvious guy we should pursue is Ladislav Smid. 151 hits and looked great in Edmonton. But he was extended recently, with a wonderful cap hit at 3.5 so I doubt we'd land him. 

One last guy I'll mention is Stephane Robidas. signed until next season with a 3.3 cap hit. Had 136 hits this year, had 190 something the year before, and like 216 before that. Want physicality? And he's got that veteran status at age 36. Maybe a bit old.

As for Erik Johnson, I don't see why we're so hot for him. 

31gp   0g   4a   4pts   -3   18PIM   44 hits   58 blocked shots

Those are mediocre at best in my opinion. His best asset is his cap hit at 3.75 through 15/16, which even that isn't amazing. There's better dman out there to be had in my opinion with much better stats and similar if not less cap hits.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

By the way Ribeiro wants a 5 year contract to finish his career and the Caps can't afford that with the cap. Could we use a center that has some stones?

First thing to do is learn how to scout players like the Red Wings do. The Wings have been to the playoffs 21 straight years and still counting. That did not happen by recycling players. If you can't play to the team standards, you go play somewhere else. I would bet that every player has clear understanding of the quality of play that they need to achieve, and that there is a long line of former Wings willing to mentor them and help them achieve those standards. Meet or exceed these or be gone, and understand the team is willing to trade anybody not up to standard. Check out the player turnover.

winger52: in my mind, you just had the post of the year.  Thank you.

The Canes won a Cup.  I'm concerned that this fact may be slipping away now.  The Wings had some bad years (20+ odd years ago, my how time flies).  I know they have the "Original 6" aura... but the Canes also had some of this a few years ago after the Cup.  JR could have started continue bulding, but that didn't really happen.

In the Twitter/Facebook world, this is era of good feelings for our team is slipping away.  So, yeah, you got it. But JR needs to build a team that players want to play for too.  The Wings now have this, even if they have the 28th pick.

I think there still is some time, but it is running short fast. 

Well, I don't know.  I don't know much about drafting.  But something on this team isn't quite 100%. Seeing JJ spurn our team in a Cup year really irked me.  Why?

Edited by wxray1

The lineup I would be happy with next year. (This or something similar)

Tlusty - Staal - Semin

Sharp - Staal - Ruutu

Dupuis - Nash - Dwyer

Wallace - Talbot - Westgarth

Pitkanen - Ericsson

Gleason - Faulk

Harrison - Tanev

Ward

Ellis

I admit that I am no NHL GM however these players would vastly improve our team.

I'll admit that I don't have the time or the inclination to do so, but I can't imagine that these additions could even come close to being affordable under the reduced cap!! That lineup wold appear to be very powerful, if only it was attainable? Sadly, I'm affraid that JR's sights will be set much lower.

We've seen JR do a handful of things differently over the past couple of seasons. We've seen him go after big, expensive free agents and we've seen him change his philosophy on negotiating contracts mid season. I'm hoping that this hints at more changes in the way we operate around here and he's willing to do whatever it takes to put a good team together. So I'm going to remain optimistic that good things are on the way.

Semin v Nash in the highlight playoffs on TSN. 22 hours to vote

http://poy.tsn.ca/

Obviously I voted Semin but if I wasn't a Canes fan I might just have voted for Nash.  Tough call really.

Edited by legend-1

Semin v Nash in the highlight playoffs on TSN. 22 hours to vote

http://poy.tsn.ca/

Obviously I voted Semin but if I wasn't a Canes fan I might just have voted for Nash.  Tough call really.

Semin won in a close one, He's facing a Shawn Matthias highlight next. Gotta think that Semin behind the back through two sets of legs to Tlusty's tape assist will beat a Matthias breakaway goal (I think that's the highlight).

Anyways, what else is there to distract me from the Ericaptain injury? :[

They really picked a good head to head highlight both were amazing in there own ways as passes. I think I would have leaned Nash as I said if I weren't a Canes fan.

Semin on the backhand through 2 pairs of legs and Nash horizontal in the air passing it. I mean both are amazing in the end.

Semin won in a close one, He's facing a Shawn Matthias highlight next. Gotta think that Semin behind the back through two sets of legs to Tlusty's tape assist will beat a Matthias breakaway goal (I think that's the highlight).

Anyways, what else is there to distract me from the Ericaptain injury? :[

They really picked a good head to head highlight both were amazing in there own ways as passes. I think I would have leaned Nash as I said if I weren't a Canes fan.

Semin on the backhand through 2 pairs of legs and Nash horizontal in the air passing it. I mean both are amazing in the end.

Yeah! I saw that live and my jaw just dropped. And the Matthias goal is a deke goal.

So you guys can understand the showdown:

Semin

Nash

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Our off-season game plan is up on TSN today:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=423730

Thanks for the link, interesting read. Skinner listed in the "trade market" section is interesting, and it seemed to spark some debate. No mention of Bellemoore :(. I think it is universally agreed upon that McBain needs to go (at least by fans, writers, etc.), let's just hope management feels the same. It has been written elsewhere but Ference is a guy I would target, although I think he is pretty comfortable in Boston. From what I have seen Welsh is not an NHL player, and time is running out. He looked very slow and unmotivated in his admittedly brief time with the Canes. I would like to see more of Terry and Dalpe next year. I don't think Bowman will ever produce offensively, his future may be as a role player if he can adapt. I just can't see us having Peters as the backup to Ward, no way should this be acceptable.

HI AWACSooner, When I read this, I assume that you are joking? Don't think either would be interested in a backup roll.On another note, I hope you Have no family in Oklahoma, but if so, I pray they are okay!

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger1h

The NYR may swallow $24 mil for 14 years by buying Richards out, but there will be teams eager to sign him in summer for $3 mil per x 3 yrs.

I'd gladly pay that for Richards. 

Why would you pay that for a guy that is going to watch tonight's game from the press box? This is a guy that was a key player for Torts in Tampa,and now Torts has given up on him. It seems as if he is at the end of the road.