The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Jeff O'Neill never fails to make an *edit* of himself.

Didn't JR give him a tryout a couple years ago, but never offered a contract?

Wait...what'd I miss with Jeff O'Neill?

In the TSN analysis video for play of the year of the Semin blind pass through the legs to Tlusty O'Neill inferred the play was lucky not skilled.

John Tortorella fired -- Canes should JUMP on hiring him ASAP!!!

Naturally JR won't as he prefers 'yes man" coaches.

Time to shake things up around here and Tortorella would be perfect.  

No offense to Coach Muller, but lets face it, he's unproven and last year does not reflect well on him (regardless what type of excuses some will make for him).

Yeah, those pressers, LOL.  For me, Torts is too old-school with his system and the way he ridicules his own players in the press just doesn't work for him. 

The word out of NY is that Hank had some pull with this move as well.

I'm not sure what the overall scope of amazing goalie saves were this year but I am surprised at least one of our 3 goalies didn't make the TSN bracket. I recall all 3 having ridiculous saves this year and one of them had 2.

Hawks and Wings in game 7 tonight. Once more with Doc going overboard with every shot anywhere near the net.. Two seconds and one. Too bad they won't promote Forsland to prime announcer.

I would be so mad if we hired Torts. 

Yeah, me too.... I'd hate having a coach that actually made the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years running the Canes bench.

It's been so much better with the likes of Mueller, Mo, Ronnie and Rody around here running things for the last 5 years.

Note to mention his 2004 Stanley Cup championship and making the playoffs 8 of the last 10 seasons!  I'd hate having the Canes do that!! We can't have a Head Coach with that kind of winning tradition around here.   I like unproven coaches so much better too!!!  I'd be so mad if the Canes hired Torts!

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Yeah, me too.... I'd hate having a coach that actually made the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years running the Canes bench.

It's been so much better with the likes of Mueller, Mo, Ronnie and Rody around here running things for the last 5 years.

Note to mention his 2004 Stanley Cup championship and making the playoffs 8 of the last 10 seasons!  I'd hate having the Canes do that!! We can't have a Head Coach with that kind of winning tradition around here.   I like unproven coaches so much better too!!!  I'd be so mad if the Canes hired Torts!

Nice.  This will have some with their panties in a bunch soon

A few moments ago during the Red Wings game they said that Daniel Cleary might be a UFA this offseason.  There is a guy I would love to bring in.  I can't see him leaving Detroit, though.

This is a joke right...

Yeah, you better ask, lest some member here berate you for not getting the sarcasm and give you a big WOOSH over your head.  

After all, you should know sarcasm without an icon, otherwise I guess you are called out dumb.  :sarcasm:

Note to mention his 2004 Stanley Cup championship and making the playoffs 8 of the last 10 seasons! I'd hate having the Canes do that!! We can't have a Head Coach with that kind of winning tradition around here. I like unproven coaches so much better too!!! I'd be so mad if the Canes hired Torts!

So you fire a coach that hasn't even had a full NHL training camp? Do you "fire" the entire team when they don't respond to Tortorella's abrasive style?

Beg to differ on his "abrasive" style. I would categorize it as being very

direct. He told it like it was, as he saw it---and was never PC. He wasn't

hung up on whether he would offend people. I find that refreshing.

Since he has always been that way, and was when hired by the Rangers, I don't

think that factored into his dismissal. As to players "not responding to his

abrasive style"---he was their coach for 4 years. What makes you think they

didn't respond to him ? Hockey players are not fragile "snowflakes" that have

to be so carefully dealt with. If so, they shouldn't be playing such a rough

game!

No way on Torts...he may be a great coach, but his style is not what we need in Raleigh. 

And using your logic, Greg, why haven't we gone after Lavi yet? 

No way on Torts...he may be a great coach, but his style is not what we need in Raleigh. 

And using your logic, Greg, why haven't we gone after Lavi yet?

Agree--Torts wouldn't be right for Raleigh. But I always liked watching his

style from afar. I don't think we need to be talking about a new coach

at this point. Muller deserves a full year. IMO

I disagree Completely. Torts, is exactly what the Canes Org. Needs.. Someone who doesnt baby sit the big names and is

straight to the point with a like it or not attitude... And any coach whos system and or style leads to a 14 game losing streak

doesnt have my vote to return. Trainning camp or not.. Wont make a difference...

Torts was great in Tampa, but the NYC media must have gotten to him cause I think he lost his ever loving mind in the last two seasons.

Torts was great in Tampa, but the NYC media must have gotten to him cause I think he lost his ever loving mind in the last two seasons.

And while he was losing his mind over the last 1.5 seasons, he coached his team to 25 (twenty-five) MORE WINS than the Canes "sane" coaching-combo was able to muster.

I'll take the insane coach that wins 25 more games in 1.5 seasons, to our sane unproven NHL head coach any day of the week!

Not to mention Tort-teams have made the playoffs 8 of the last 10 seasons!!!!

(oh wait, I forgot Coach Muller has "only" been here for 18-months now and did not have a FULL training camp yet --- PLZ, that excuse -- it's getting so lame already -- see Adam Oates.)

Now, I'm not on a witch hunt to blame Muller, but I do think, when opportunity knocks (ie: a WINNING NHL COACH with a PROVEN winning tradition is available) you need to open the door and let it him in!!   Muller can elect to leave or stay on in a sub-ling capacity -- that's up to him. 

Torts will make us a winner and that's what us Full Season Ticket Holders deserve --- this organization can start it right now with one move!! 

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Ok.....   so you would rather have a PROVEN winning head coach with a more mild style? Hummm... that's asking a lot don't you think, since we have an unproven NHL head coach already in the fold here!

Maybe somebody that made the playoffs say 6 of the last 7 seasons?  That would be nice but I guess that would be IMPOSSIBLE to find and again, we already have Head Coach Mueller right?

And maybe while we're dreaming here --- this "less direct" coach should have a proven record like 2 Presidents' Trophies on his resume over the last 3 years too!

Naturally we'd want this "fantasy" coach to be a guru at getting his forwards to be productive offensively, right?

But, in addition to having a PROVEN track record of scoring a lot of goals, this HC must still keep his team's defense in the top-10 for three years in a row too, right? Why not, right?

ONLY IF a REAL NHL HEAD COACH WAS AVAILABLE LIKE THIS??? That might almost be as good as having an unproven NHL head coach (that hasn't had a full camp).

What's this ... wait for it.... the wigi board just spelled out ..... V.I.G.N.E.A.U.L.T.

Alain Vigneault