The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Mine just spelled out T.R.O.L.L.  I have no idea what that means, it's a wigi board?

Got it, we know you hate posts you don't agree with...  so you attack the poster! Got it. Don't dare talk about the merits of having Trots or Alain behind the bench!  

In turn we'll put you in the "I love unproven NHL Head Coaches (without a full camp) over PROVEN ones" category! 

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Mine just spelled out T.R.O.L.L.  I have no idea what that means, it's a wigi board?

Mine spelled out let's offer a moronic amount of our future to get Seth Jones.

Pot calling the kettle black? You just gave Blinding crap because you didn't agree with their opinion so how can you seriously be offended when someone gives you crap? Take your lumps or don't dish them.

Got it, we know you hate posts you don't agree with...  so you attack the poster! Got it. Don't dare talk about the merits of having Trots or Alain behind the bench!  

In turn we'll put you in the "I love unproven NHL Head Coaches (without a full camp) over PROVEN ones" category! 

Mine spelled out let's offer a moron ic amount of our future to get Seth Jones.

While YOU were using it?   Interesting!!

Sorry, could not resist.

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Yeah, you better ask, lest some member here berate you for not getting the sarcasm and give you a big WOOSH over your head.  

After all, you should know sarcasm without an icon, otherwise I guess you are called out dumb.  :sarcasm:

...what? I was posting in good fun, if I offended you then I apologize for that's not my intent but it's also not my problem you didn't get the joke of 'oh Eric Staal got injured and is now having to take pictures for new sweaters," and if you can't handle rib poking because of that then so be it. Why it's even being brought up here is beyond me.

In regards to Torts, no. If we still had Maurice behind the bench I'd say yes in a heartbeat, but we don't and Muller definitely deserves a full season. Our focus should be on who we're going to draft and how we're going to bring pieces in, we have a few spots to fill out before next season so even thinking about grabbing Torts is just silly.

I'd be offended if most of the last page of discussion wasn't politely ripping your trade apart.

Interesting!!

Sorry, could not resist.

Pot calling the kettle black? You just gave Blinding crap 

Guess it depends on how you define "Blinding crap."

If you call stating FACTS and building a fact-based case for why the Canes should consider a PROVEN NHL Head Coach over an unproven one "Blinding crap" --- yes that is what I just did.

To recap...

Torts coached his team to 25 (twenty-five) MORE WINS than the Canes coaching-combo was able to muster in the last 1.5 seasons.

Tort-teams have made the playoffs 8 of the last 10 seasons ---- and 4 of the last 5!

Torts has coached a Cup Winner!! Muller not so.

Head Coach Vigneault has made the playoffs 6 of the last 7 seasons!!!!

His teams have a PROVEN track record of scoring a lot of goals, while keeping his team's defense in the top-10 for three years in a row!

Oh yes, 2 Presidents' Trophies on his resume over the last 3 years too! Not to mention six Northwest Division titles.

All facts --    

Now, what you got for Muller (other than that "no full camp" line?)

But clearly, some here still love the idea of an unproven NHL Head Coach (after all he did not have a FULL training camp), I get it.

As I said before, IMO, Torts will make us a winner and that's what us Full Season Ticket Holders deserve --- JR can start it right now with one move.

Now, if you REALLY think Mueller is a BETTER head coach than Torts or Vigneault, please do explain why! Love to see what facts you have.

Torts would definitely bring a change to this organization, but I think a lot of credit is being given to Torts. The Rags also have a much better roster with a deeper pocket. It's an Original Six franchise. Yeah, he deserves credit for their success, but comparing Muller and Torts without taking rosters and payrolls into account isn't fair to Muller in my opinion.

Same with Vigneault. Canadian Market, deep pockets.

If we were going to hire a new coach the best time would've been prior to the start of this past shortened season, someone to look at the new roster with fresh eyes and new ideas. That time has past so I believe JR when he says he won't be making coaching staff changes this offseason.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Yea, you called Blinding's trade offer "laughable" since you cant keep in order what you're trolling about one post to the next considering how laughable your trade offer was prior to Blinding's post. I dunno why you're rambling about Torts.

:stuff:

Edited by legend-1

even thinking about grabbing Torts is just silly.

SILLY???   Some folks up in Canada, like Monte Stewart of the Canadian Press don't think so....

"Four or five Eastern teams that missed the playoffs — including Winnipeg, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Carolina, and Florida — will likely be evaluating their coaching situations extensively..."

Now, if you REALLY think Mueller is a BETTER head coach than Torts or Vigneault, please do explain why! Love to see what facts you have.

It's not about facts, Torts so far is the better coach hands down, which isn't saying much when being compared to Muller, who barely has a season's worth of games under his belt. He hasn't gotten his true opportunity thus far but will next season, where it would then be appropriate to voice concern about his future with the franchise if the team doesn't perform, how exactly is that so difficult to understand?

SILLY???   Some folks up in Canada, like Monte Stewart of the Canadian Press don't think so....

"Four or five Eastern teams that missed the playoffs — including Winnipeg, Philadelphia, New Jersey, Carolina, and Florida — will likely be evaluating their coaching situations extensively..."

Yes, because the Canadian Press is going to know exactly what's going on with a NHL franchise in North Carolina. I'm sure if JR is going to evaluate anything enough to warrant a change it's going to be our assistant coaches, but as I said before, Muller hasn't gotten his true opportunity yet and ditching him now goes against how JR handles things entirely.

Edited by Blinding

Torts would definitely bring a change to this organization, but I think a lot of credit is being given to Torts. The Rags also have a much better roster with a deeper pocket. It's an Original Six franchise. 

Thing is Torts also made the playoffs, I believe,  4 of last 5 with Tampa Bay and won them a Cup too!

Outside of D, it might also surprise some to learn the CANES spend significantly more than VAN.

In any case, while great points  Punch, it certainly does not explain why one would want an UNPROVEN head coach over a proven Head Coach with a long winning tradition!!    

Torts and Alain Vigneault are proven winners!!  We need to change things around here, and opportunity is knocking at the door right now -- landing a proven winner like Torts or AV would be a huge step in the right direction.  With Muller, we just don't know what we have (and that is being more than fair -- see Adam Oates).  As a full season ticket holder, I'd rather not hope and wait 2-more years to find out!

How do we handle the Muller firing, troll?

We don't. If he doesn't want to renew season tickets next season because JR wants to be a respectable GM and give the guy he brought in partway through a season his first full season to show what he can do instead of firing him and going after Torts, so be it, it's just humorous that he thinks it's as simple as exclaiming Torts is better over and over again. Well no duh Torts has a better record, he's been coaching in the NHL since 00-01, where as Muller has 105 NHL games coached under his belt, which is just a bit over a full season, that doesn't mean you fire the guy, especially after a season where our post-season hopes were ruined by injuries, not coaching.

I may catch heat for this but...

I don't want Torts here because he is a complete *edit*. I have always liked that the Canes show loyalty (even to our detriment at times) and are generally seen as a class organization. Even if we won with Torts, his repulsive personality would take away from the reward. I do think Torts is a good coach under certain circumstances (see below), but I just don't want to deal with his personality. I do think there should have been some accountability for last season but that is another story.

Also, Torts likes gritty players and shot-blockers. We don't have either. Good luck turning Pitkanen, McBain, Murphy, Dwyer, Bowman, Dalpe, Tlusty, Nash, Skinner, Semin, Staal, etc. into those types of players. Like it or not that is where we are in terms of personnel. Bringing in a guy like Torts would require a significant overhaul of the players already under contract, and that is not going to happen. Is Tort's system effective...yes. Do we have the personnel to make it work...no.

Just my $.02

What's this ... wait for it.... the wigi board just spelled out ..... V.I.G.N.E.A.U.L.T

... it's ouija board, O-U-I-J-A

Just to save time trying to go back through all the laughable garbage, add me to that list.  OK?  Thanks.

I may catch heat for this but...

I don't want Torts here because he is a complete *edit*. I have always liked that the Canes show loyalty (even to our detriment at times) and are generally seen as a class organization. Even if we won with Torts, his repulsive personality would take away from the reward. I do think Torts is a good coach under certain circumstances (see below), but I just don't want to deal with his personality. I do think there should have been some accountability for last season but that is another story.

Also, Torts likes gritty players and shot-blockers. We don't have either. Good luck turning Pitkanen, McBain, Murphy, Dwyer, Bowman, Dalpe, Tlusty, Nash, Skinner, Semin, Staal, etc. into those types of players. Like it or not that is where we are in terms of personnel. Bringing in a guy like Torts would require a significant overhaul of the players already under contract, and that is not going to happen. Is Tort's system effective...yes. Do we have the personnel to make it work...no.

Just my $.02

Your $.02 just got turned into a collective $.04.  Kyrule I agree with you 100%.  Just because someone is good at a job, in their own unique way, doesn't mean the fit the organization.  I'd hate to have a coach that was a total jerk.  Only certain organizations are capable of handling controversy, and like it or not that's what NHL GMs' wigi boards point to when Tortorella is concerned.  Heck, even keying his name into Google has "tortorella jerk" as the first 'related searches' phrase.

Greg,

First of all...using two posts in a row to attack me isn't cool...one post using multi-quote will do.

Second, USING ALL CAPS MAKE YOU LOOK LIKE A TROLL!  Please stop it...chill out...we're all Canes fans here and we love our team...naturally, we all have different opinions on how the team should go forward, but we'd all still show up to PNC tomorrow to cheer them on no matter what!

Third, I'm not on the Muller-is-awesome bandwagon.  Please don't put words in my mouth.  As far as I'm concerned, he's on thin ice with me...especially after seeing what Adam Oates did in Washington.  What I'm saying is that Torts as a HC in Raleigh isn't going to work because the players will not respond to his system here.  The talent doesn't match the coaching style.  Also, his media style would not earn him accolades in Raleigh, from the press or from the fans.  He comes off as gruff, brash and arrogant.  In the end, I believe that more than the playoff failure this season is what drove him out of NYC.

Lastly, jb_online, your custom user title is AWESOME!!!

Edited by AWACSooner

Lets see....

Eric Staal

Cam Ward

Jeff Skinner

Joni Pitkanen

Jordan Staal

Jim Rutherford

The hot dog vendor on the 300 level

The parking guy on the West side

The parking Gal on the East side

The entire front office sales staff

and....wait for it...Stormy.

Kirk Muller is now the flavor of the month.  This will last until the draft passes and whoever the Canes pick will be put in the hot seat next.  Anyone else seeing the pattern yet? 

In other news....

In other news....

How YOU doin?

...and you forgot to add Ron the Ref!

Edited by AWACSooner

...and Chantel.

I'm in the camp that Muller hasn't had a full season to work with.  I think it's fair to evaluate again after next season.  I think the potential is there.  Remember how well we started this past season before injuries plagued us?