The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I'm relatively new here, but seems like major overreaction to preseason results.  Similar to the NFL, to read too much into the results I think is crazy as these results are largely irrelevant until you start playing with your actual squads.  Look at the lineups we've been using, this is not regular season hockey.  Just my two cents.

We are playing against teams that are not using all their regulars, as well. Having our #1 and #2 goalies giv up 10 goals on 60 shots is not a good thing no matter who they are playing.

Our best D man is out for the year.

No, Faulk is still healthy.

Mike Maniscalco@mikemaniscalco6h

@JohnForslund said the next 48 will be key to the #Canes if the organization decides to sign a free agent center or go with what they have.

Derek Stepan comes to mind if we look at a center. Rangers do not want to meet him at 3.5 mil. Holding pat at 3 mil for two years. Trades??

OMG that would be so sick but no chance of it happening.

EStaal-JStaal-Semin

Skinner-Stepan-Ruutu

No, Faulk is still healthy.

OMG that would be so sick but no chance of it happening.

EStaal-JStaal-Semin

Skinner-Stepan-Ruutu

I'd like to see him on our third line(2A) with Skinner and Lindholm.

Hey guys:

"BRENDEN MORROW
It appears the former Dallas Stars captain might find a team sooner rather than later.

"Things are starting to happen now," he said on the line from Dallas. "I’ve got some things starting to evolve a little bit."

Morrow visited with a team Thursday."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/26711/rumblings-morrow-gagne-others-awaiting-calls

Not enough ice time for Stepan imo

Yep, it would be tough to sell, perhaps as a 2a role. The below would be a tough top three lines. Right now we are experimenting with guys at 3rd line center and nothing may stick.

Tlusty                        Staal           Semin

Ruutu                        Staal           Dwyer

Skinner                     Stephan      Lindholm

Gerbe/Boychuck       Nash           Dvorak/Palushaj/Westgarth

I don't know about Dwyer on the second line. I like Dwyer, but I don't think he is a top 6 NHL player. I'm not sure who goes there, but I don't think Dwyer has the skill set to play in the top 6.

Did anyone actually see last nights game?  I'd love to hear a report on Khudobin's performance.  I'm not looking to blame him for the 5 goals without knowing the  circumstances.  But the fact that no one has even mentioned his name kind of feels like an elephant in the room that no one is willing to talk about.  I.e., I wonder if some are viewing him as less a "savior" then they did 2 days ago. 

Khudobin was pretty solid leading up to the play where he channeled Ty Conklin and fumbled a behind the net play that lead to an easy goal. He had a few solid saves after that but it was a lot rougher from there. We got hemmed in our zone for long periods and took way to many icing calls (that lead to scores off the faceoff). I think if that one play didn't happen he may have fought through some of those third period goals better.

Khudobin was pretty solid leading up to the play where he channeled Ty Conklin and fumbled a behind the net play that lead to an easy goal. He had a few solid saves after that but it was a lot rougher from there. We got hemmed in our zone for long periods and took way to many icing calls (that lead to scores off the faceoff). I think if that one play didn't happen he may have fought through some of those third period goals better.

I didn't see anything but it sounds like lost faceoffs killed the Canes.  If you cant win possession you're playing on your heels.

I hope I'm wrong, but the new additions are not impressive,and I don't think we've added the toughness and grit up front to be a factor in the playoff race. I know this is only preseason, but this team needs to win something. They need to feel some level of success. They know how to lose, they need to figure out how to win.

This has been on my mind throughout the offseason as well. I am glad we revamped our defense, although the results are yet to be determined. What concerns me is that we did not address the grit/physicality that was needed up front. We got some high effort guys, but in my opinion we needed guys that bring effective physicality and toughness. It's one thing for a smaller player to show heart and throw checks, it's another to have guys that help wear down a defense, stick up for teammates, play with an edge, etc..

In this respect, I think we failed to address an obvious need. I don't want to see another season where our guys get pushed around or fail to engage when the going gets rough.

Thats a valid concern. I have a hunch this team is going to be tougher and edger. My concern is have we done enough to fix the third line. I'm not convinced yet but admit it is still early in the game.

In all reality we need to see our top 6 defensmen palying as a unit in front of a non rusty Cam before panicking.

I too am not completely sold on our third line. They are really giving Bowman the golden slot. Seems like the coaches are leaning towards him. Not for Tlusty's spot, but to see if he can be the man or not. I'm not sure he'll show them enough to pass on Morrow.

Edited by remkin

In all reality we need to see our top 6 defensmen palying as a unit in front of a non rusty Cam before panicking.

I too am not completely sold on our third line. They are really giving Bowman the golden slot. Seems like the coaches are leaning towards him. Not for Tlusty's spot, but to see if he can be the man or not. I'm not sure he'll show them enough to pass on Morrow.

I sure hope he doesn't as well. But if JR said center, maybe we moved on from Morrow and moved towards a center FA, who is out there who plays center?

It was Forslund and Maniscalco. There has been other signs of our weekness at center. The preseason games have had auditions at center so far and also the comment from the coach shows potential weekness. I'm not reading alot into the comment below as I believe it is more of a balancing act in pre-season, but we have seen multiple players in the center slot so far.

Was that Forslund or Matiscoco, or JR that said center? For some reason I just thought forward. I see the quote says center...

Though he’s been a winger for most of his NHL career with the Canes, Patrick Dwyer will draw in as the team’s third-line center against the Sabres.

“I know how to do it, and we’ll see how it goes,” he said. “It’s not too hard. It’s a transition that I’m used to”

Don’t expect the move to last long, though. Muller said penciling in Dwyer at center is simply a numbers game.

“We’re a little lighter at center,” he said. “But it gives me a chance to experiment to see Patty there. I know he has played center. But it’s not really anything to read into too much.”

If we do look at a center Stepan would give us much more mileage than Morrow at a wing spot.

The bad news is that we are down 4-0 with Cam in goal tonight.

Edited by slapshot02

Pretty good Law Dog.  I'm still not worried, its preseason.  Muller and the coaches are experimenting every period to see what works and what doesn't.  Haven't seen a full rostered line up on the ice, and I'm sure Cam is rusty.  We'll see what we have in October, then we can panic.  I think we'll be OK. 

Boy, all I can say is that this preseason is BRUTAL. Maybe the coaches' thought is to get all the "stinkers" out before the season starts. If so, they are doing incredibly well

Just reading these on a blog: "Morrow wants to play for a contender", which lets us out; Franson willing to take a 1 year deal; and Raymond looking real good as a Maple Leaf. Well, that leaves us as a "brides maid" again.

I just tuned into the game a few minutes ago, has Ward been in all night?

Sadly, yep

I should add that that's relatively speaking.