The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Debating the Torts thing, fine, other than other teams in the playoffs, it's pretty boring around here. I'm all for debate. But there are few takers here on Torts so now it's who can shout loudest. The points have been made and as one who has been on the I can't let it go side before, I can now see how that can come off.  :yawn:

But the odds of Torts coming to Raleigh are pretty close to zero, for all the reasons already put out there. 

On Muller. There are a bunch of great coaches that endured rough patches early in their careers. Look up Mike Krzysewski's record his first three years at Duke. (not pretty). I don't think you bail on a coach early unless there are obvious "issues" with character or they have lost the player's respect entirely. 

Muller took a below average team away from Mo and over 82 games got over 100 points. Before the losing streak, Muller walked on water around here. So he's been great and not so great. It is fair to say the jury is still out. 

Personally, I think he will work. His steadiness and not "Torting" out on guys during the bad times will pay off next year. 

We lost our best defenseman and our number one goalie. Skinner took another concussion. J. Staal has had some adjusting to do. Our best back up goalie came into our minor league team on a try out. Ruutu out for most of the year.  I don't think we can say injuries are the entire story. But it isn't fair to ignore it either. And JR built a shakey at best defense with all the depth of a kiddy pool. 

The thing is, it is all about the future now, and that is pure speculation. But my opinion is that it will all come together next year and the team will rise with some key changes and health under Kirk's leadership. Let's see what things look like 30 games in, then let me have it if I'm wrong. But I won't be.

Of course I could be.

Edited by remkin

I'd have to disagree with you there. He is getting older but by no means is on the way out. First off he is in NY where star players get huge contacts which in turn generate unrealistic expectations. Jagr, Drury, Redden are just some recent examples. Also Torts system has changed over time. Tampa ws a completely differently built team. A system where Brad Richards was surrounded by more skill and finesse players rather than speed and physicality was where he shined, and won a Conn Smythe. He's on a defensive team and the one skill and finesse guy they had in Gaborik was recently traded (mark that name down on the list of fallen NYR stars). Torts is notorious for throwing players under the bus, but hasn't anyone wondered why such skilled and highly paid players keep getting tossed under the bus by him? He's bad at managing ice time and working players through ruts. Be glad we have Muller. Eric was spiraling downward hard and after adding Kirky he's been better than before his rut. If Torts was our coach he'd be trying convincing the organization to move him rather than work with him through his problems like Muller did.

We're talking about Tortorella now and not Brad Richards, but this post is still relevant. How long do you think before Semin requests a trade after Torts gets hired here because he doesn't score enough goals to make Torts happy and continuously gets talked down by his own coach? The players that perish in Torts system pretty much make up our whole roster. And Muller seems to takes those players and get them to produce. Eric has been phenomenal since Muller stepped in. I'm still fine with seeing how Muller does, not to mention he should have a chip in his shoulder about job security.

Eric has been phenomenal since Muller stepped in. 

Oh right, I forgot to mention that one, Muller getting E. going is a major plus for him. Semin plays for him also. 

Hmmmm. Quote yourself and respond......

I LIKE it! Why didn't I think of that?

I'll tell you why. Because you are thinking too much inside the box. 

Edited by remkin

Sucka, did you intend to quote yourself and respond?  ;)

I'll tell you why. Because you are thinking too much inside the box. 

Hahaha I totally did. :o

I'd hate to have a coach that was a total jerk.  

Coach Alain Vigneault has made the playoffs 6 of the last 7 seasons! Plus 2 Presidents' Trophies over the last 3 years too.

His system produces very productive scoring forwards while still keeping his team's defense in the top-10 for three years in a row!

So is AV just a "Jerk" or a full "Total Jerk" too?

and hence the Canes should not even consider him as well right      :hits forehead:   (hate to have a proven winner with a winning tradition on our bench as Head Coach)

Because after all, we have a Head Coach that "might be" okay some day.... (or maybe not).

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Man, this thread has gotten more hot Caniac action in the past day than in the past two weeks!

Hmmm. Hot Caniac Action  :hotflash: . Where does one sign up for that?

But since you brought it up. 

I've been wondering about that orange "hot" tab next to the number of replies. It really seems fairly useless if not misleading. From what I can tell any thread with more than about 15 posts is deemed "hot" forever. Some are from a year or more ago. I would think we'd be a bit more discerning about what is hot.

Anyways, just wondering about these hot things all of the sudden.

Edited by remkin

Coach Alain Vigneault has made the playoffs 6 of the last 7 seasons! Plus 2 Presidents' Trophies over the last 3 years too.

His system produces very productive scoring forwards while still keeping his team's defense in the top-10 for three years in a row!

So is AV just a "Jerk" or a full "Total Jerk" too?

and hence the Canes should not even consider him as well right :hits forehead: (hate to have a proven winner with a winning tradition on our bench as Head Coach)

Because after all, we have a Head Coach that "might be" okay some day.... (or maybe not).

Greg, I understand your point of view, and all your points make sense, but you seem to just ignore the fact we aren't going to dump Muller over newly available coaches. It's not how JR works and I doubt he does that now after building this franchises reputation the past twelve years. The truth is there's a chance Muller is as successful if not more from this point on in his career. I'd take AV as coach any day, but only on days where we need one. We have a head coach and honestly he hasn't done bad enough to warrant us to dump him like sack of potentially moldy potatoes. He could be the most delicious sack of potatoes we've ever had! Firing Muller at this point and hiring Torts or AV is like scrapping a promising recipe that over the parts of the past three seasons has been improving (not to mention tailored specifically to our tastes) and on the brink of being complete for an old family recipe which may already be complete but we don't know if we like how would taste and if we have the ingredients to make that recipe work. Edited by SuckaPunchd

Watching the Kings/Hawks game today. Justin Williams is having a great playoffs. Just for giggles....can anyone name all the ex-Hurricanes in this years playoffs? Might be more than any other team.

Watching the Kings/Hawks game today. Justin Williams is having a great playoffs. Just for giggles....can anyone name all the ex-Hurricanes in this years playoffs? Might be more than any other team.

Pens

Craig Adams

Jokinen

Ducks

Allen

Wild

Cullen

Canadiens

Kaberle

Red Wings

P Eaves

Kings

Williams

That's all I can remember..

After I checked:

Islanders

Aucoin

Pens

Sutter (how did I forget him)

Edited by gocanes0506

According to Bob McKenzie, EDM interviewed Paul Maurice. Poor Edmonton?

guess Edmonton is not that different weather-wise than living in Russia.  I would not to live anywhere we one needs to plug  in his car at  night to keep the oil from congealing

Edited by colliefan

Interesting Tweets

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes 2h

2011 draft picks Gregory Hofmann and Matt Mahalak will re-enter draft after not signing with the #Canes.

Mike Sundheim @MikeSundheim 2h

Gregory Hofmann has the same agent as Frederik Andersen, who re-entered the draft after not signing w/ Canes last summer.

Paul Branecky @PaulBranecky 2h

Meanwhile, Canes decided not to sign G Matt Mahalak, another pick from 2011 draft

Rutherford Statement

“We wanted to sign Gregory to a contract, and felt that he could have a future with the Hurricanes on the NHL level,” said Rutherford. “It is disappointing that we were unable to reach an agreement with his agent to keep him in our organization.”

WTH is going on with us and draft picks not wanting to sign/play for us?

I have the same question what are the issues these guys have with not signing  with the Canes?  not enough $$?  not wanting to play with the Checkers?  dislike of JR?  one player I could possibly have issues with the Canes.  Two I could possibly understand.  But three players makes me think there is something with the Canes' system that brings the hesitancy of signing a contract.  Now what are the things that brings this hesitancy

Matt Mahalak wasn't offered a contract so even if he wanted to play for us that's kinda hard without a contract. Even if he had been offered one we'll likely sign a backup for the NHL and throw Peters/Murphy in the AHL with Muse ready to come up at any time the kid would have been buried in our system with no hope. We did him a favor.

Andersen left because he was so far down our goalie chart and unknown to him he would have likely been Charlotte's starter last year with how things panned out during the summer. However there was no telling his road would have been paved the way it did so his agent told him to re-enter.

Hoffman may have played in Charlotte but he's no one to cry home about losing.

I have the same question what are the issues these guys have with not signing  with the Canes?  not enough $$?  not wanting to play with the Checkers?  dislike of JR?  one player I could possibly have issues with the Canes.  Two I could possibly understand.  But three players makes me think there is something with the Canes' system that brings the hesitancy of signing a contract.  Now what are the things that brings this hesitancy

Probably need to check with Jack Johnson.....

My question would be are the contract turn-downs common with other NHL teams.  My guess that it is common.  If not I would like to understand the reasons for the refusals