The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

If Forslund has any connections, his statement about getting a center in the next 48 hours expired two days ago. So it looks like we stay with what we have currently in camp. And I agree with Legend that NYR would never let Stepan go for only $500K difference.

I love the idea of a Franson offer sheet. Although it would probably not be able to happen until Joni goes on LTIR ... guess JR could start preliminary talks with him to see if anything is possible.

If we could ever get Franson, I think it will be a toss-up between Harry and Komi as to who leaves. It would also allow Murphy to go to Charlotte to develop more defensively ... improve his "D" defense to go with his potential "A"  offensive skills.

Should something come about, I was thinking Komi would be the most likely candidate. But CapGeek lists him as being on a NMC . . .

I'd like to put this out there also. 

My Gleason may be an issue stuff is all from one blogger's (Matt Karash) take on the last pre season game. He seems to be a sharp guy, but I don't know him that well. Here was his take:

I think there is a strong case for putting 2 NHL veterans and about $5M of salary (if Gleason is 1 of them) in the press box to start the season.

This is pretty thin. Has anyone else picked up on any other thoughts that Gleason may not be up to par?

For me it's the current lines which have been steady for the pre-season

Faulk/Sekera

Hainsey/Murphy

Gleason, Komisarek and Harrison seem to be the bottom 3...could be wrong though and maybe a pairing of Gleason/Sekera; Faulk/Hainsey and Harrison/Murphy will be what plays out but I have a hard time seeing that as these guys have not played or practiced together as pairs all pre-season. 

ESPN's Hurricanes Preview

http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2013/team/_/name/car

Nobody is expecting much from us this year.  Four of the five correspondents have us at either 7th or 8th in the division.  Burnside has us at 5th.

I don't blame them for thinking this. They have to follow 30 teams but clealry I think they are missing some key things. They look at our horrid year last year and ask what we've done to upgrade. But if you look at the team starting it's third string goalie behind an AHL defense w/ a struggling Skinner and J, you are not really looking at a fair comparison.

We have them right where we want them.

Edited by remkin

ESPN's Hurricanes Preview

http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2013/team/_/name/car

Nobody is expecting much from us this year.  Four of the five correspondents have us at either 7th or 8th in the division.  Burnside has us at 5th.

Good interview with Eric though. Looked a bit surly at times, but answered them pretty darn well.

Guys...after carefully evaluating this team...I truly feel that we will miss the playoffs again. We just don't have the depth to compete in our division. Our bottom 6 will be the deciding factor and it's lack luster to say the least. We are going to be shut down night in and night out too. I said this last season as well and caught a lot of flack for it. But I see us finishing 11th in the East with our current roster.

It is a little early to count this team as either a playoff contender or to count them out. We have made improvements. I share the concern over the bottom six but I am beginning to see a possible third line emerge. We have some option of the fourth as well. The D could be much better and goaltending looks improved. Until they lace em and skate em we just can't be sure.

The unknown is if JR will make another move.

I'm still waiting, watching and hoping.

On Murphy: for what it's worth, I am fully on board the Murphy express. If you read any of my 100 or so posts on him, I think you'll see that. Just because I expect more from Lindholm, it really is an apples and oranges comparison. 

On Stepan: That would be a bold move. Pretty much forces Lindholm to the wing, which may be ok, but not sure it is long term. Puts even more money into the forwards since we would have to move a dman in my opinion to make it work. Does Gleason have a lot of value? When one of the worst defensive teams in the league is trying to move you, that is not a vote of confidence for a veteran dman.

On Franson: That seems like a very slick move if possible. Again, need to move salary the other way, and really would seem to come down again to moving Gleason. No one else makes any money back there. 

It is disappointing if Gleason is really on the ropes. This team would be far better w/ a peak Gleason. But if his play has fallen off.....it would then come down to the NTC, and what team is in a position to pick up salary and what team would be interested. Of course this would only be worth considering if a Franson came our way.

Personally I would NOT trade defensive depth for a forward. I like Bellemore, but we are strongest with him or one of the bigger names in reserve for the inevitable injuries. After Bellemore and Murphy it gets thin unless the brass really like Corrente, I'd be very careful about even getting in the same time zone as what happened to us on defense last year. 

I like Franson's numbers and size. If Gleason (and this is pure speculation as far as I know) cannot beat out Bellemore then we have an issue as to why we are paying him top 4 money. 

Pulling a really nice player out of another team's cap woes would be super slick and quickly make me forget about Morrow. I will say that.

He somehow pulled off trading Tkabs. And then the Josef Melichar trade. You never know.

For me it's the current lines which have been steady for the pre-season

Faulk/Sekera

Hainsey/Murphy

Gleason, Komisarek and Harrison seem to be the bottom 3...could be wrong though and maybe a pairing of Gleason/Sekera; Faulk/Hainsey and Harrison/Murphy will be what plays out but I have a hard time seeing that as these guys have not played or practiced together as pairs all pre-season. 

Murphy - Harrison pairing was used for the first few pre-season games, and Harry was Murph's primary defensive mate in the beginning of Camp. Hainsey - Murphy was used during that 4 straight game thing when Harry was sat and they kept Murphy dressed, and they sort of stuck I guess since.

As for us being doomed. I know how you feel, but pre-season isn't over yet. We haven't even seen a close resemblance of our team yet, we'll most likely get that Thursday and Friday. So let's not panic because Morrow went elsewhere. If JR goes with this lineup, a dose of reality will set in in the first week or so, and JR will try to make a move then. Or our current group surprises and really steps up. Top-6 isn't a problem, bottom-6 is. Defense is. We've got nearly an entirely new defense. We're shifting Skinner down with Lindholm to the third so there is a potential fix there too. 

Unlike previous years, where there were several glaring holes in the lineup and several serious problems with the team's play that JR attempted to address with horrible bargain deals on players trending downwards, this year JR seriously addressed our needs with actual decent signings. I'm counting last offseason as well, because it should be included. 

Adding high profile players like Alex Semin and Jordan Staal, signing one of the best contracts in free agency with Khudobin to address our terrible backup tending, addressing our defense by replacing 4/7 defensemen, introducing actual organizational depth in that department with Flood, Bellemore, Corrente, Jordan. He made a legit scary good top-6 offensively and defensively. Our big problem now is bottom-6. We have the key parts of a winning team. Now we need to add the under appreciated role playing character part of the team in a third line capable of scoring and messing up match-ups for the top 2 lines, and a fourth line that can hit hard, skate fast, and maybe pot one or two every once in a while. Chances are, we dress 7 D with Murphy, Harrison, Gleason, Sekera, Faulk, Hainsey, Komisarek. Let Murphy play wing every once in a while on the fourth line maybe with the two others.

Overall this team doesn't look as terrible as ESPN makes it seem. We all know the team does well with low expectations media-wise. I think we are missing one proven, experienced, leader-esque veteran presence. The one thing that scares me about this lineup is lack of experience and veteran guys who exude leadership. We severely lack there and hoped Morrow would fix that, but whatever. We can still address that on the fly, it's not like trying to acquire a top-line winger mid-season.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

. . .

The one thing that scares me about this lineup is lack of experience and veteran guys who exude leadership. We severely lack there and hoped Morrow would fix that, but whatever. We can still address that on the fly, it's not like trying to acquire a top-line winger mid-season.

I think we may not be completely acknowledging some gains in this area.

Based on reports I heard about camp, sounds like Komi might be filling that role some.  I wonder if we overlook his experience and presence because he isn't a star.  Hainsey and Dvorak have experience, wonder if they bring anything on the leadership side?  And I still think that Gerbe brings character that may rub off on the rest of the team.

I didnt read anything too "grim" in what ESPN wrote, most of the negativity was based on the unfortunate facts of last year.   If the team can stay healthy and JR's gamble on the new defense pays off, anything is possible.  The X factor which most of the media folk are getting hung up on is the new division and seeing how the Canes can stack up to the tougher competition.  If we're being honest, the Canes have never been known as a tough team so it doesn't surprise me that playing regularly against some of the tougher teams in the league puts up a red flag for many.

Lets hope the Canes prove them all wrong and the new faces bring some team toughness.

Way to early for me to vote on our playoff chances. I do think our D will evolve over some time once they have the time to gel as a unit. All new faces so they need to learn each others tendencies and style. Our offense has the ability to score alot of goals and I think the addition of Gerbe Dvorak and Lindholm will increase our bottom 6 output. Goaltending has been given a big boost with the signing of Kudo  If we stay healthy I think we will be a tough team to play against. I think our chances of making the playoffs are much stronger than last year although one alarming stat is Over the past three seasons, the 'Canes have won a woeful 22 of 73 meetings with their new division rivals, recording a losing record against all seven opponents except for the Islanders.

Funny Stuff!!!  After we got "Hainsey" everyone was all like ......"Wow we are gonna make a run this year, we are gonna be great".  Than we lose 3 preseason games with a 50% lineup and its all doom and gloom and we are not making the playoffs.  

I personally don't put to much weight on anything til about Christmas time.  If at X mas time we have a .500 record than anything can happen.  If we are in the hole at X Mas than i start getting doom and gloom and excepting we are missing the playoffs again.    I have a feeling this team is gonna suprise us and do fine, I just hope to stay around .500 til January than make our usual run throught the end of the year and grab one of the last two playoff spots.

]One thing I have found to a consistent pattern over the years is:  Whenever the Canes are supposed to be a "good team" with playoff hopes.....we stink bad.   Every time we are off the radar and predicted cellar dwellers, we have a great year.   2006,2009 we were predicted to stink.  Several of the years in between and after we were predicted to be good.

I think that the most concerning thing is that Dalpe, Boychuck, Welsh, Pal, and Bowman have not shown much. Meaning we are going to have to rely heavily on Dvorak and Gerbe to fill the void. The only player that I have confidence in out of our prospect pool is Nash. This guy is going to be a good 2-way center.

Nash is making a good case for himself as the 3rd line center. His developing or what appears to be developing chemistry with Skinner only helps his cause. I now have Nash penciled in as our 3rd line center. The question I have is where will Lindholm fit in and if my hunch is right who skates on the right side of Nash and Skinner.

Nash is making a good case for himself as the 3rd line center. His developing or what appears to be developing chemistry with Skinner only helps his cause. I now have Nash penciled in as our 3rd line center. The question I have is where will Lindholm fit in and if my hunch is right who skates on the right side of Nash and Skinner.

I'm guessing your hunch is him returning to Sweden.

I'm guessing your hunch is him returning to Sweden.

My hunch was Nash and Skinner staying together on a third line. I'm only having a difficult time seeing where Lindholm fits in if that happens. It is difficult to evaluate Lindholm since he has been hurt. There was some talk early of trying him at wing. I think that is still a possibility. He could still take the 3rd line center spot back if given a chance or he could return to Europe. I think that is still a question to be answered.

Semin-Staal-Tlusty

Ruutu-Staal-Gerbe

Skinner-Nash-Dvorak

Bowman-Lindholm-Dwyer

So wheres our fourth line, all I see is a 3a and a 3b :D