The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

My question would be are the contract turn-downs common with other NHL teams.  My guess that it is common.  If not I would like to understand the reasons for the refusals

Saw a list of re-entry players on some website this morning and there were a lot. Guess it's not just a Canes thing.

Hoffman supposedly had some upside, but these are mostly late round guys who are long shots from the moment they're picked. All picks after the second round in given year have a 12% chance of playing 100 NHL games as a group. People love to trot out the exceptions, but the rule dominates. These guys are just trying to find a speck of light to improve their already slim chances. 

These are not the Dalpe.s, Bowman, Tlusty's, of the world. These later picks really have to shine to make it.  Not saying that one of these guys might suddenly find his game and make an NHL roster but.....well yes I am. I suspect the Zetterbergs and Lidstroms had made it pretty clear by this point in their early careers that they were more special than previously thought.

Gotta make room for this year's 4th rounders after all. Cold but true.

Edited by remkin

Interesting stuff from Michael Smith today on TRACKING THE STORM

On Free Agency

Free agency opens on July 5 this year, and Rutherford has already identified his main target: a top-four defenseman.

Looks like he thinks Pits, Faulk and Gleason are in our top four and the others have been asked to play in roles they couldn't handle.

(MOVED THE DRAFT POSTS TO THE DRAFT DISCUSSION THREAD (HERE)

JR identified a healthy Faulk, Pitkanen and Gleason as in our top 4 so I wouldn't expect any of them to be dealt. We shopped McBain at the trade deadline. Bellemore sure looked like he could play bottom pair and I would hate moving a guy like Harrison. It would be nice to pick that top4 up in free agency and hold on to our other assets for other trades. I guess that might be hoping for too much. 

Too bad this year's UFA defenseman class is pretty weak.

I haven't really looked the FA market yet or the cost. I'm thinking we will probable end up making a trade of some sort but its always nice to keep as many of your players intact.  We will probable be forced to move some for salary consideration.  Thats ok but I really don't see us moving Skinner or Ruutu. If Joni is healthy and it looks like we want to keep him the budget could get tight.

Our goal going in was a top  4 d and help on the third and fourth line so it probable can be accomplished.

Since JR has stated he's found his Free Agency target as a top 4 dman, I looked over 2013 UFA dmen and tried to figure out who is being targeted. Here's a list of guys I think JR may be looking at:

Andrew Ference, 34 years old, 2.25 hit

Mark Fistric, 27 years old, 1.475 hit

Rob Scuderi, 34 years old, 3.4 hit

Mark Streit, 35 years old, 4.1 hit

Sergei Gonchar, 39 years old, 5.5 hit

Doug Murray, 33 years old, 2.5 hit

Ryan O'Byrne, 28 years old, 1.8 hit

Ron Hainsey, 32 years old, 4.5 hit

And there will most likely be a few compliance buyout victims who may be better options. This years free agent pool of defenders is pretty slim.

Well JR said the top 4 target could come via trade or free agency. I think  your right about some buyouts coming available.

What terrifies me is the fact JR states the reason our defense failed so terribly this past season is he had good NHL defensemen playing in roles they couldn't handle, then immediately goes in to say fixing the defense could come in getting a dman who hasn't played in the top 4 but they see being able to now, or placing Murphy in the top 4. Ummm....? Hello? Talk about facepalm moments.

I'm surprised Joni is still in the mix. Way overpriced for what he does, maybe JR figures we're stuck with him. My feeling is that after this contract is up and the next offers will be quite a bit slimmer, Joni picks up his toys and goes home. Probably live very well with the fortune we've overpaid him.

Edited by winger52

Maybe Glen Wesley could teach Joni how to gracefully transition into a top stay at home defender. That's what we need and if he just focused on defense he could be pretty solid. Let Murphy be the offensive guy. 

What terrifies me is the fact JR states the reason our defense failed so terribly this past season is he had good NHL defensemen playing in roles they couldn't handle, then immediately goes in to say fixing the defense could come in getting a dman who hasn't played in the top 4 but they see being able to now, or placing Murphy in the top 4. Ummm....? Hello? Talk about facepalm moments.

I would rather have Bellemoore in the top four than Murphy, and I do not want Bellemoore in the top four. Again, I think Bellemoore would be a great #5 or #6 with Harrison. We need to add a top four guy through trade or free agency, and I think we will. But to comment on what you said, yes, I was shaking my head when I read the Murphy comment and the suggested possibility that we try to turn another team's #5 or #6 into one of our top four.

...and here is your face-palm:  :hits forehead:

Maybe Glen Wesley could teach Joni how to gracefully transition into a top stay at home defender. That's what we need and if he just focused on defense he could be pretty solid. Let Murphy be the offensive guy. 

So what has Glen been doing the last 4 years. 

That is a good question. I'll give him a call.

Wait. Do you have his cell number?

I brought the idea up because in the first part of his career Wesley was an offensive/two way guy. As he progressed he changed his game into a shut down role and he was dang good at it. Even in the later part of his career he stuck with forwards better than just about anyone on the team. Kind of like Faulk does.

Where has Wesley been? Well he is the player development for defense. But I'm pretty sure that's development of Yutes. He is not the defensive coach.

Joni has been a two way defenseman with a love of carrying the play deep into the O zone. Fine, that was his early career. He probably sees that as his game. Heck the coaches probably mostly let Joni play "his" game. But would it be that hard for him to adjust? He is big. He is not a huge hitter, but can be nasty. He is skilled. He skates well. I would think he good be a very good shut down guy if he tried. Plus we just need a second pairing guy.

If he can do that, then JR just needs to find ONE guy as a legit top 4 NHL guy. The rest we can fill with what we have:

TOP 4:

Faulk Gleason Pits New Guy

Bottom:

Murphy/Harrison

Bellemore.

Edited by remkin

Whatever he's doing, there are no marked results to produce quality NHL defensemen. Although Bellemore was a pleasant surprise this season...for a short period of time so real "consistency" didn't have time to show.

To get a true long-term top 4 d-man, it will have to be from a trade. My suggestion, assuming we get Nich or Barkov at #5, is to trade Skinner for Yandle....maybe Skinner and McBain for Yandle. Yield:  Yandle/Gleason, Pitkanen/Faulk, Sanguinetti/Harrison-Bellimore-O'Bryne (UFA).

Edited by Bill_B

Skinner for Yandle?

No thanks.

Why not? Is it you just don't want to trade Jeff for anybody or is it that you think Yandle is not high enough value? If it's the latter, what about Seabrook then.  I'll admit I'm not a big fan of Skinner's and think he peaked his rookie year, like Samsanov with Boston, when he was an unknown entity. So if we get an elite forward in this draft, I would use Jeff's value to get a young top pair d-man.

Edited by Bill_B

Jeff is too young to make that assumption just yet. I want Yandle, but not for a potential (and still pretty high potential) 40 goal scorer. Imagine Jeff reaching that potential in the next two seasons. We would have a real potent offense which would at least get us to the big dance after the regular season. But as Boston is showing the hockey world, it's good defenses that win championships. I'd be patient and see what dmen are bought out and what the price looks like for defenseman this free agency.

What do you guys think of Linus Omark? I'd call up Edmonton in a heartbeat and ask what they want for his rights. Man, seeing a third line like Omark - Skinner - Dwyer would be fun to watch. Maybe move Dwyer to the fourth line and a free agent vet goes there to keep the other two in line.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Why not? Is it you just don't want to trade Jeff for anybody or is it that you think Yandle is not high enough value? If it's the latter, what about Seabrook then.  I'll admit I'm not a big fan of Skinner's and think he peaked his rookie year, like Samsanov with Boston, when he was an unknown entity. So if we get an elite forward in this draft, I would use Jeff's value to get a young top pair d-man.

I see a lot of talk about Yandle on these boards but I don't get it. Yandle is the epitome of an offensive defenseman. He is a decent player but I don't think he is at all what this team needs. He is basically another Pitkanen that actually stays healthy. If we are going to trade someone like Skinner, I would rather it be for a good young defensive defenseman. Personally I still think it is too early to move Skinner but I understand how others might feel different.

I see a lot of talk about Yandle on these boards but I don't get it. Yandle is the epitome of an offensive defenseman. He is a decent player but I don't think he is at all what this team needs. He is basically another Pitkanen that actually stays healthy. If we are going to trade someone like Skinner, I would rather it be for a good young defensive defenseman. Personally I still think it is too early to move Skinner but I understand how others might feel different.

I've always been a fan of Yandle since his sophomore season. That's my excuse anyways. But I think the assumption is we get that defensive dman via free agency, and this is just sugar on top to our defense tweaks. But honestly if it came down to Skinner or Yandle, I'd take Skinner still.

Anyways, do you guys like Linus Omark?

Also at TSN.CA voting today is for Semin's behind the back through two pairs of legs to Tlusty pass highlight is losing big time to Jake Allen's ridiculous stick save. But honestly, it's against the Calgary Flames. The FLAMES. :[ Semin had a good run though.

Edited by SuckaPunchd