The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

According to Chip Lindholm is at practice and according to Muller, Semin could play without practice first. Said Semin has been skating with Brindy.

Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team will assign defenseman Matt Corrente to the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League (AHL), pending Corrente clearing waivers on Wednesday at noon.

In addition, the Hurricanes have officially placed defenseman Joni Pitkanen on the long-term injured reserve list.

just got back from the canes corner, where my friend continues to have the devil's own luck getting a wristband. 

He sounded like he was feeling good and ready to go for Friday.

Anecdotal aside, when asked about the Taylor Swift picture, he mentioned that she really didn't seem to have a clue who he was, and at one point she asked if he wanted her to sign his jersey and give it back to him. Someone in her crew asked him to sign a puck and a jersey for her. Also, Dalpe was there on a ticket originally intended for Jeff's sister.

Thusly, someone with Taylor Swift's crew is messing with the hockey gods.

Skinner better watch out, or else he'll be mentioned on her next album...and not in a good way. 

That T Swift thing made me laugh. Skinner is on one of my fantasy hockey teams so I hope he is. Semin is on that team as well. I went on a limb and took Murpy on another team and Tlusty is on that one as well. Cam Ward is my goalie on one too. It's always nice to have extra incentive to hope they do well. :P

Lindholm not looking ready yet. Slow & lethargic at practice. Skinner, on the other hand , looked ready to play! All in all, an active hard work practice.  Lets let our number one pick be 100 percent, no need to rush him..

I'll tell you one thing. It's going to be ugly up in here if the Canes lose a couple early. Hide the guns and razor blades. 

Whooooboy.

If Semin and Skinner are ready I stay with my positivity. Someone's got to.

We are banged up and that is nerve racking. But to get some idea of our potential firepower up front.

Detroit's top 4 forwards last year: Datsuk, Zetterberg, Franzen and Bruner. 

(Yes they have added Alfredson, who produced about the same as Bruner (a wash on paper), and is older, and Weis, who can produce, but for the sake of the comparison...)

Datsuk, Zetterberg, Franzen and Bruner produced 154 points last year.

E.Staal,Tlusty, Semin, and J. Staal produced 166 points last year.

After that though Detroit was done up front. Not even a 30 point equivalent forward after that.

We however would roll out Ruutu and Skinner. Both of whom could easily hit 50 points.

But then don't count Gerbe short (see what I did there?). He has been right at 30 points two years running despite only playing about 63 games. If Gerbe returns to form and stays healthy he could hit 40 points. 

I think Nash and Linholm have a shot at 30 also. 

This does not account for increases from Skinner and J.

I know that offense from the forwards is only part of the game, but that is what I'm posting about here. 

Edited by remkin

Lindholm not looking ready yet. Slow & lethargic at practice. Skinner, on the other hand , looked ready to play! All in all, an active hard work practice.  

I wonder if there is something else going on with the kid. The shoulder bruise happened quite awhile ago.  Slow and lethargic is not what I want to hear.

I wonder if there is something else going on with the kid. The shoulder bruise happened quite awhile ago.  Slow and lethargic is not what I want to hear.

He has got a few days to catch up, if not he can condition with the checkers and not hurt us by being not at game speed.

NHL Tonight preview last night had us finishing 7th in our division. Recent Bleacher Report article had us finishing last in our division.

I think alot of these experts don't even realize how many injuries we had last season. Our defense and offense is stronger. Can't wait for all of these experts to fall!! All I know is that I will be there opening night several hours before the puck drops.

we will see. they didnt think anything of us the cup year either. i see us stealing a few games from just surprise alone.

I mean I don't see us on the top either I don't have the blinders on, but I do think the team is a lot better then what they have been given credit for, well injuries aside anyways.

I still think there's a lot of combinations of:

1. We were the 25th team in the league and didn't seem to add that much.

2. We won't have the Southeast to kick around anymore, we're in the majors now.

3. Traditional love for the traditional teams.

These all obscure a lack of appreciation for the way things went wrong last year, w/ a fatal series of aligned injuries in front of a third string goalie and a couple of guys struggling that there is a good chance will not struggle this year. 

I would also argue that while Komisarek and Sekera might not be big expectation guys they are replacing some pretty weak links.

Well, heck I've got a huge post about it, but I think they've all got us wrong. This is a much better team than the 09 team and probably not quite as good as the 06 team in my humble opinion.

This team is much much better than the 2010-11 team and they missed the playoffs in the last game of the season.

Edited by remkin

I still think there's a lot of combinations of:

1. We were the 25th team in the league and didn't seem to add that much.

2. We won't have the Southeast to kick around anymore, we're in the majors now.

3. Traditional love for the traditional teams.

Yes, agree.

But perhaps they are also seeing all the injuries the Canes have NOW.  This is more than a worry, it is a long running (years) trend.  And the depth looks extremely shallow.  So, that's what you get in the press, and on this board.

Didn't want to start with all these injuries.  Hate to see that.  Fingers crossed for Friday night.  Maybe something else will break before then as well.  We need something to go our way......maybe this preseason injury mess is getting this garbage over with before the season begins.....think happy thoughts.

But perhaps they are also seeing all the injuries the Canes have NOW.  This is more than a worry, it is a long running (years) trend.  And the depth looks extremely shallow.  So, that's what you get in the press, and on this board.

A lot of prognosticators had their predictions of our demise in well before the injuries hit. If they are saying our depth is shallow, maybe, but I wonder how many teams have legions of great players waiting in the wings. Maybe more than us, I don't know. 

When I look at how quickly 30 plus point guys drop off of most team's line ups compared to ours...I guess I'm not so sure many teams are really that deep.  I am really far from qualified to compare depth. 

Flying under the radar. I prefer it to be this way. Somehow I think this team is about to be firing on all cylinders and will turn a lot of heads.. 3rd line is key. Whoever ends up there.