The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Well the new guys we aren't too familiar with yet, so they may end up being adequate leaders. Definitely a more mature and focused group than we were with Corvo, McBain, etc. I'm pretty excited to see how things fall. But like I said, I'd like another forward with some real strong leadership qualities.

" But like I said, I'd like another forward with some real strong leadership qualities."

Several decent Morrow types came and went, and nothing was done? Maybe there was an attempt, nonetheless

the leadership issue didnt get done...

HELP NEEDED.. Anyone ever been to the Verizon Center (Capitals).. Got the wife tickets to Canes/Caps at the Verizon center on the 10th.. Never been could use some advise... Hoping to sit next to Obama...Laffs...

" But like I said, I'd like another forward with some real strong leadership qualities."

Several decent Morrow types came and went, and nothing was done? Maybe there was an attempt, nonetheless

HELP NEEDED.. Anyone ever been to the Verizon Center (Capitals).. Got the wife tickets to Canes/Caps at the Verizon center on the 10th.. Never been could use some advise... Hoping to sit next to Obama...Laffs...

You never know who can become available during the season, and what opportunities present themselves. There's still potential for that move later on down the road.

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling with the new alignment, there is not going to be a lot of time to waste.. The first 12 games are going to be a make or break...

Well geez guys, I have to agree with you and discount my comment.  I was looking for some hope that we have all this wrong.  I guess not, the verdict is in: no leadership.

Now I'm really feeling bad.  I think we're completely doomed.

Looks like Remkin is the only optimist left.

Edited by wxray1

We just don't have it. But, hey, we made the ECF in 09 with pretty much no leadership as well. You never know.

but that team was, in essence. Lavi's team  need to see if the issues that have plagued the team in the past:  PP, PK, defense: have been solved

Well geez guys, I have to agree with you and discount my comment.  I was looking for some hope that we have all this wrong.  I guess not, the verdict is in: no leadership.

Yeah, a lot of people looking hard for a lot of reasons to despair.

We had some really awful years with reportedly one of the best leaders in the known universe.

I stand bravely against the storm on Remkin Island.

I feel happy! :beach: .

Boy, talk about waiting to the final hour before doing something, and I thought I was the world's worst procrastinator!! Anyone on here have any idea why Dvorak has not been signed? I guess that technically he could be signed on Friday and be inserted into the lineup, but don't know what the rules are pertainung to this. Is there any advantage to holding off on this signing, or is JR possibly wanting to have one last look at the waiver wire to be sure no one better comes along?

I guess since Dvorak continues to practice with the team, that JR has some sort of tacit agreement with him or his agent, but surely seems strange? Playing all the angles, I guess?

I am a Survivor on Remkin Island as well....where all the drinks are always half full! I like the fact that Lindholm may get time on the 1st PP unit. I believe that we will improve on PP and PK this year(as we couldn't get much worse) and possibly end up in the top third of the league in both. This is not something this organization has done in quite a while. That plus a more consistent D will place us in the playoffs this year. Ah, happy hour on Remkin Island! 

In today’s practice, the coaching staff brought Lindholm into the mix on the first unit with Semin, Tlusty, Staal and Ryan Murphy, who rejoined the team on Wednesday after his technical, one-day reassignment.

“It’s possible [Lindholm] can jump in there. He’s a right-hand shot that we’ve always wanted on that unit in the slot,” Muller said. “He’s a good playmaker, and he can score from there.”

The team’s second power play unit consisted of Skinner, Jordan StaalNathan GerbeJay Harrison and Justin Faulk.

I see wxray's point about not being in the room, but I have to agree with Sucka.  Just a few months ago, JR specifically stated "the room was too quiet" last year.  That was also the reason I was excited to hopefully add Morrow

Something was needed to spice things up. I kept hoping for Muller to haver the mother of all hissy fits with a ref at some point. You know, the kind where the coach throws sticks, water bottles, etc on the ice and gets kicked out. Sometimes a pre-meditated tantrum works wonders to get people's attention. That crowd needed an attention getter.

As expected, Dvorak was signed...one year $600K NHL / $125 AHL with a $250K guarantee.

Seems to me JR low balled Dvorak into a two way contract. But in the end he didn't have a better offer & probably held out just to get the guarantee money as high as he could. Glad to have him aboard! His PK skills is worth 600k by it self...anything else Dvorak brings is gravy!

Seems to me JR low balled Dvorak into a two way contract. But in the end he didn't have a better offer & probably held out just to get the guarantee money as high as he could. Glad to have him aboard! His PK skills is worth 600k by it self...anything else Dvorak brings is gravy!

1200 games under his belt and was a member of the 2006 oilers team, he has a lot of experience, for 600k that is pretty nice.

I'm cautious to predict anything but I'm not without optimism. The game is played on the ice. Lets see a few games before we throw in the towel. This team has the potential to surprise us.

We've been to a Caps game. Take the metro, Chinatown stop i believe, lets you off under the arena. 1 day metro passes good for 12.00am till 11:59pm so if you stay out late you will have to buy a new pass. Plenty of hotels near most metro stations and prices get lower the further out you go.

I agree with OBXer and bambam.  It's too early to tell where this team is going, especially since we haven't played an actual game yet.  I'm reserving judgement until a few weeks from now.  While I'm not optimistic we're going to make the playoffs (too many questions to be answered), I am not saying that we don't have a chance.  I hope the guys gel quickly and start the season off great.

We had some really awful years with reportedly one of the best leaders in the known universe.

I'm not despairing.  Our D is better than last year, our goaltending is more solid, our forwards are back except for Ruu.  If we can avoid the injury disaster like last year, we might jut make some waves.

I'm not panicking yet, either.  I want to give 'em a chance before I start running around screaming with my hands in the air :popcorn:.

Oh, and if the new defense doesn't gel (especially the power play), I'd keep it in the back of my mind that we could probably get Liles from the Leafs for equipment (or a mediocre prospect) at about half his current salary.  Not saying that we should, just that we probably could.

Edited by LakeLivin

I never said we have no leadership. In fact, I pointed out where we do have leaders.  I said we lack that one true leader. Who said we were doomed? I sure didn't. I said I'm worried about the team's lack of leadership. Doesn't mean we're doomed. Apparently you can't voice concern on one aspect of the team without being considered a pessimist. Geez, way to read way too into comments there fellas. 

This forum sure is pretty dramatic lately.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I think we have all had alot of time before  hockey started, and  over  analysis leads to paralyzation.. :)    Oneil for the yankees would knock over water coolers when he got ticked, we dont know what goes on in the locker  room.. On that note, would i like to see  one of the guys   getting into a fight  opening night, u betcha!

I never said we have no leadership. In fact, I pointed out where we do have leaders.  I said we lack that one true leader. Who said we were doomed? I sure didn't. I said I'm worried about the team's lack of leadership. Doesn't mean we're doomed. Apparently you can't voice concern on one aspect of the team without being considered a pessimist. Geez, way to read way too into comments there fellas. 

This forum sure is pretty dramatic lately.

Well you just quoted XRay saying we're doomed.

Personally I'm not referring specificially to you. If you can't feel the collective angst that has popped up the last few days....it's palpable.

Probably should start a poll about how people feel about our chances this season, but I don't feel like it, plus it would just amplify the anxiety.