The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

..... If you can't feel the collective angst that has popped up the last few days....it's palpable.....

Enjoy reading everyone's views and opinions over the off/pre seasons, but can't wait until Friday when some fact based comments are expected. Good passion, but I'm sure you all realize a very small number of posters are expressing their opinions.

Let the games begin (please!).

Can't wait for Friday!! I like the lineup we have, but feel we needed one more winger as many have stated. Let's see what we look like for a dozen games. JR certainly has the Dollars to add on the fly if the opportunity is there. 

I don't get where the doom and gloom is coming from that some of you are referring to?  Reading back through a few pages, I could only find two posters that were ledge jumpers, and one of them recently just did a complete 360.

But for all of you that have some hesitation to proclaim victory before the games are played, well, move over, I need a seat.

Edited by coastal_caniac

i hold the beleif that this team is better than most people give them credit for. do i think they are invincible, no. will they make the playoffs, i dont really know. they have the raw talent to do it. i do think it comes down to the effort they put into it. i dont think they will waltz into the postseason. i hope they do, though :D

This board has become pretty depressing to read. I don't know why some of you even bother watching the team at all when you've given up on it before real games have even been played. Relax, let the puck drop, see what happens. 

I'll be on Remkin island until we're mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, then I'll throw in the towel.

i think signing Dvorak shored up a loose end that needed tying down something fierce. it seems that our defense  and pk are coming along nicely, as opposed to the last few years. i am curious how much the offensive zone possesion and starts willl increase. i think it will trend towards the better. lets hope so, anyways.

Well you just quoted XRay saying we're doomed.

Personally I'm not referring specificially to you. If you can't feel the collective angst that has popped up the last few days....it's palpable.

Probably should start a poll about how people feel about our chances this season, but I don't feel like it, plus it would just amplify the anxiety.

Yeah there has been a lot of that, but it's commonplace the past couple years. Out of everyone who agreed with me about the whole leadership thing, no one is one of those "We're Doomed!" people. I didn't really understand why wxray posted that sarcastic post, we're simply disagreeing with him on a single aspect of the team. Not really that necessary to respond in that way. I'm one of the more optimistic people about this team. But really, why are we creating this whole optimistic outlook versus pessimistic outlook mentality here. We're all 'Canes fans so why should it matter our general outlook or expectation on the season. Season starts in a few days anyways.  :twilight-zone:

Season starts in a few days anyways.

thankfully so. it was hard to get tickets to the opening game. seems that fans are there buying tickets, but it is detriot and we have a lot of transplants.

I really don't care what anybody thinks of my opinion on the current State Of The Canes.  I've got tailgating gear to drag out.

:tailgate:

Oh, and thanks to all for the offseason chatter.  Good stuff.

Edited by coastal_caniac

We just need the games to start so we can get on with the season and stop speculating.  It's like the time between dates where you sit there and constantly over analyze everything that happened and question what's on the horizon when what you should be doing is enjoying the experience of meeting someone new.

As for me and my vote, I'm optimistically sipping a brew on Remkin Island...

Perhaps most (not all) of the angst posts are people mostly posting all the different prognosticators that are picking us for the basement. Someone did say we were a bubble team at best :razz: .

Of course it all gets decided on the ice and I think we can all agree w are ready for that!

We shall see if I need to have some crow shipped to Remkin Island.

So.... do we all want to meet for a beer beer during tailgating or at the game? I have been posting/arguing with ya'll for years now. I would very much like to put a face with the screen name. Either way my fiancé and I will be at opening night. If not opening night, some other time for sure then.

Edited by bluedevil58

So.... do we all want to meet for a beer beer during tailgating or at the game? I have been posting/arguing with ya'll for years now. I would very much like to put a face with the screen name. Either way my fiancé and I will be at opening night. If not opening night, some other time for sure then.

I wouldn't mind.

Someone did say we were a bubble team at best :razz: .

Red flag comes out...

After further review, it was decided that coastal_caniac in fact defined a "bubble team" as one that could be 2 spots over the playoff line or 2 spots under. That would be 3-6 for you math wizards.

Coastal will not be charged with a time out. :razz:

And if 3rd in the Division gets me on Remkin Island, fine, otherwise I'll be offshore as well.

Edited by coastal_caniac

TSN panel is picking 4 candidates to finish dead last.  Calgary, Florida, Colorado and guess who.

Anyway, opinions are like...well, this is a family site, so I'll let you all fill in the rest.

Edited by ScottTenorman

We just need the games to start so we can get on with the season and stop speculating.  It's like the time between dates where you sit there and constantly over analyze everything that happened and question what's on the horizon when what you should be doing is enjoying the experience of meeting someone new.

:dizzy:

Red flag comes out...

After further review, it was decided that coastal_caniac in fact defined a "bubble team" as one that could be 2 spots over the playoff line or 2 spots under. That would be 3-6 for you math wizards.

Coastal will not be charged with a time out. :razz:

And if 3rd in the Division gets me on Remkin Island, fine, otherwise I'll be offshore as well.

In a rare decision the the review itself was then challenged.

At issue was use of the phrase "at best". Given the historical prejudice of that term it is felt that the implication might have been more ominous than initially ruled by the first review.

However, in the end it was concluded inconclusive and the initial review is allowed to stand.

It is also determined that Coastal is welcome on Remkin Island any he sees fit to sail over.

In a rare decision the the review itself was then challenged.

At issue was use of the phrase "at best". Given the historical prejudice of that term it is felt that the implication might have been more ominous than initially ruled by the first review.

However, in the end it was concluded inconclusive and the initial review is allowed to stand.

It is also determined that Coastal is welcome on Remkin Island any he sees fit to sail over.

In a statement released by Coastal's crew, after being asked about potentially visiting Remkin Island, it was made clear to this reporter that wood duck and dove poppers would be making the trip.

:tailgate:

Edited by coastal_caniac

Who said we were doomed? I sure didn't. I said I'm worried about the team's lack of leadership. Doesn't mean we're doomed. Apparently you can't voice concern on one aspect of the team without being considered a pessimist. Geez, way to read way too into comments there fellas. 

Who said you said "we're doomed?"  I said "we're doomed".  That doesn't mean that you said "we're doomed" just because I said "we're doomed."

Got it?  :spin:

EDIT: I read further and you thought my post was "sarcastic."  It isn't.  I think "we're doomed."  Sorry, but the injuries more than anything have me completely depressed. 

Tell ya what.  I'm not mad, but some seem to be irritated with me.  I'm going to log off and give it a few games before I come back.  Maybe I'll get another 360 degree reset.  Or at least 180 to get me back in middle-mode.  Like others have said, we need to see some games.  This BS of having to wait 4 games into the season is under my skin.  I want to see some games.  Instead, the Canes start late and get to make up for it with massive back-to-backs.  See, there I go again, finding the down side of things. 

I need a break.  See you in a while...

Sorry for bringing ya'll down.

** There is no sarcasm in this post.

Edited by wxray1

I don't get the "doomed" talk. Canes haven't even taken the ice for a real game yet. They still have the potential for an undefeated season.

82 - 0 in the regular season

16 - 0 in the playoffs

So, the forward lines we will see until Ruutu is back or Lindholm shows he is needed on a higher line. I am excited to see some Canes Hockey.................Let's drop the puck at the PNC!!!

Tlusty-E. Staal-Semin,              Top 5-10 scoring line in NHL, will usually have other team’s best defensive line                                                                 against. Will get their points.

Gerbe-J. Staal-Dwyer,              We put out against other team’s best line. Can keep pressure in offensive zone due                                                       to hard workers which reduces goals against by applying pressure. All 3 play strong                                                       in the defensive zone.

Skinner-Nash-Dvorak               Out against other team’s “weaker” lines. Will provide great secondary scoring and                                                          has enough parts that understand defensive commitment. If Skinner has matured                                                            and continues to try and be a complete player this line can be a difference maker.

Bowman/Sutter-Lindholm-Westgarth.           Sans Westgarth this line should have good energy. This should be a                                                                               good checking,  grinder line that given opportunities has talent to bury                                                                             a puck here and there. Not a complete liability defensively like our 4th                                                                              line has been the past few years.

Edited by grateful-caniac