The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Who said you said "we're doomed?"  I said "we're doomed".  That doesn't mean that you said "we're doomed" just because I said "we're doomed."

Got it?  :spin:

EDIT: I read further and you thought my post was "sarcastic."  It isn't.  I think "we're doomed."  Sorry, but the injuries more than anything have me completely depressed. 

Tell ya what.  I'm not mad, but some seem to be irritated with me.  I'm going to log off and give it a few games before I come back.  Maybe I'll get another 360 degree reset.  Or at least 180 to get me back in middle-mode.  Like others have said, we need to see some games.  This BS of having to wait 4 games into the season is under my skin.  I want to see some games.  Instead, the Canes start late and get to make up for it with massive back-to-backs.  See, there I go again, finding the down side of things. 

I need a break.  See you in a while...

Sorry for bringing ya'll down.

** There is no sarcasm in this post.

Totally read your post wrong then, sorry man. I truly thought you were being sarcastic in response to the leadership discussion. I've been where you are though, needing to take a break from here. Hope it helps, it did for me.

Nathan McKinnon had two nice primary assists last night, he looked lost the first two periods but found his game in the third.

Colorado did the smart thing and put McGinn out there with him. On several occasions the Ducks tried to rough up the youngster but McGinn stepped in immediately and it was clear Anaheim got the message. Not sure who is going to help Lindholm (or Skinner for that matter) since we don't have a guy who can drop the gloves and actually play. Unfortunately, any support will likely have to come from the defense since we have some of the most sheepish forwards in the league. Hopefully the guys on D get/got the message.

Team toughness was a serious issue last year for us IMO, and I think we addressed it somewhat on defense. Still, the forwards lack of toughness/willingness to engage has me concerned since we have some players that need protecting. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Edited by Kyrule

Thank goodness its game day, I don't know if we could take another day might drive us to the asylum. 

edit: I'm not a smart man. It's not friday lol

42255-Im-not-a-smart-man-Forrest-Gum-W2X

Edited by Ichigo-1

Most on this board have indeed tried to maintain a degree of optimism. Many are clearly apprehensive and for good reason. The team stunk out loud for much of last year, has missed the playoffs consistently recently, has started the year with key injuries, and gets less respect than Rodney Dangerfield from the National Media. If someone can find just one national type writer or on air personality that picks us as a big upside surprise, I'd love to see it. 

I still maintain that the key upgrades (Semin, J. Staal) combined with the emergence of Tlusty, and the reemergence of J. Staal AND J. Skinner, combined with a real #1 goalie, and a much more defensively tight unit, will surprise. I'll add that I expect more from Nash and Gerbe, and even Linholm than most. I don't know if we'll gel immediately, but I can see us putting together some nice stretches. There are a few of us out here on Remkin Island. 

We will miss Gleason and even more Ruutu, but I still think we have enough firepower to win games if Cam is sharp, and I am in the Bellemore can play camp. 

Now we shall see if we are the disaster of the national media, the bubble team of many grizzled veterans on this board, or the better than average team of Remkin Island. 

Now we shall see.

Edited by remkin

What can we tell from Chip's report of today's practice?

Well first, obviously Ruutu is out. Ruutu brings physical and speed and scoring. He works w/ J. Staal, he makes our top 6 formidable, he slots everyone else down into a lower expectation role. We will miss him.

Gleason is out, and my eye on Komisarek must be shared by the coaches. With Gleason out, one would think Komi would beat out at least one of Murphy or Bellemore. It is early, but keep an eye on that. I think we are stronger w/ Gleason on the second pairing, but Bellemore has looked pretty good. He could be a big surprise and apparently he is playing second pair with Hainsey, and Murphy/Harrison as the 5-6. Komisarek at #7 almost assures press box for him. It would just seem that if we were going to dress 7 dmen, Murphy would be the odd man out of the pairings. I guess it's not written in stone, but that's how I'm seeing it.

I am good w/ Bellemore. I am a bit disappointed in Komi at this point. Right now we just need one of them to be good.

It sure looks like the plan is to play Lindholm. He is practicing with the top PP unit. Why would you do that the day before the game if he was not playing? 

Semin back is sooooo key. The top line stays intact and should be as powerful as ever. Gerbe-J-Dwyer will be an intersting second line. Better w/ Ruutu in there, but they can be effective checking and still posing a threat.

The third line will have Nash-Skinner- XXXX. Will Lindholm crack that line? Lindholm on the 4th line makes very little sense. If that's where he is at, send him to Charlotte a few games, yet here he is practicing with the top PP unit, thus I really have to think that there is a good chance that we see:

Skinner-Nash-Lindholm

(It may come down to Linholm's comfort on the wing. He could play 4th line and PP, but I would not do that for many games).

No there is no bruiser there. The idea of an edgy third line that can score is out the window. But really now that's our second line. This is just a line that can score. On paper I LOVE this line as a third line. If these guys see 5-6 defensemen nightly, trying to stop Skinner alone will be a mess for them. If Lindholm can step up this line could put up serious points. Then when we get Ruutu back, it will seriously be "pick your poison". 

You know Lindholm is kind of a perfect analogy for this team's lack of respect. All the talk is about the top guys and the returning rookies from last year's draft. I get that w/ the injuries, he's been flying below the radar...but that's the analogy. How great would it be for him to start turning heads just as the team does.

Down side for me. Cam is really back? Is he fully de-rusted for NHL real game speed? 

Also, it seems a bit unfair to play an opponent that has a real game under their belt and a rest day. I hope we don't come out a step behind. 

That's the take from Remkin Island anyway.

Edited by remkin

The checkers just signed Manny Malhotra to a try out contract. What's the story with this guy? His stats are not half bad.....

He had a severe eye injury in 2011 and has loss significant eye sight in his left eye. Once a top notch player, he is just trying to get back into hockey and looking for a chance.

Check out who Steve Levy has in the East Finals and who wins the Jack Adams Trophy

http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2013/story/_/id/9719419/stanley-cup-awards-predictions

Who the heck is Steve Levy and what can we send him in thanks?  The guy really stuck his neck out on this one, thankfully.

So there's at least one!

Because of the new divisions and new playoff format, is it even possible for the EC Finals to be Boston-Carolina?

Not sure it is.

Never mind... my bad... it is indeed possible.

Thanks Mr Levy.

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Tlusty - E. Staal - Semin
Gerbe - J. Staal - Dwyer
Skinner - Nash - Lindholm
Bowman - Westgarth

Faulk - Sekera 
Hainsey - Murphy
Harrison - Bellemore
Komisarek

That's my best guess at tomorrow night's line up. No clue if Dvorak is playing. Chip said he wouldn't be in opening night line up but then he signed a contract.

I really hope they dont put Lindholm on the 4th line with Westgarth. That'd be such a waste.

Imagine if Malhotra is healthy and back to game shape? He could play 3rd/4th C and that would be a solid bottom 6.

has lindholm looked so good in practice that he should be up with the big club? is it not setting him up for failure, kinda? if he  can play in charlotte for a while to get up to speed, then why not give him a few games to get his bearings?

Had read about the Malhotra signing over on Canes Corner. Wouldn't that be something if he could be JR's latest reclamation project? As I recall, he was the master at faceoffs. Anyone know how he sustained the eye injury, and I wonder if it's now safe for him to return to play? Hope he/we have good Opthamalogic consultants, as would hate for him to be injured on our shift?

After reading that, and thanks bluedevil58, my fears would be that playing in the AHL, unlike in the NHL where he is respected, that some youingster trying to make a "name" might really injury this guy. I truly hope that his eyesight has gotten at least a bit better.

Nathan McKinnon had two nice primary assists last night, he looked lost the first two periods but found his game in the third.

Colorado did the smart thing and put McGinn out there with him. On several occasions the Ducks tried to rough up the youngster but McGinn stepped in immediately and it was clear Anaheim got the message. Not sure who is going to help Lindholm (or Skinner for that matter) since we don't have a guy who can drop the gloves and actually play. Unfortunately, any support will likely have to come from the defense since we have some of the most sheepish forwards in the league. Hopefully the guys on D get/got the message.

Team toughness was a serious issue last year for us IMO, and I think we addressed it somewhat on defense. Still, the forwards lack of toughness/willingness to engage has me concerned since we have some players that need protecting. I guess we will find out soon enough.

The defense certainly started camp showing aggression. Of course, the primary instigators seemed to be Gleason (who's out) and Komi (who we're not even sure will be playing). . . Still, you'd think that type of attitude has at least a decent chance of rubbing off on the rest of the D.  I don't think Muller will send Lindholm out there without letting the rest of the team know they need to look out for him.

I don't think Muller will send Lindholm out there without letting the rest of the team know they need to look out for him.

I hope you are right.

Good news about Ruutu, we need him in the lineup.

I haven't posted during the wild swings of emotion lately, but every time I start paddling out to Remkin island, doubt keeps pulling me back ashore. It's the damn injury thing that keeps gnawing at me, I just can't see us staying healthy enough all year. Hopefully I am wrong.

Anyway, can't wait to see Lindholm and Bellemoore, whether it's tomorrow or in the near future.