The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Also, don't know if anyone else saw it but Komi will be a healthy scratch tonight which means Bellemore will be playing in his spot.  It also makes it seem like we will carry a full 4th line rather than an extra defenseman (likely meaning Dvorak IS playing).

Tlusty  -  E Staal  -  Semin

Gerbe  -  J Staal  -  Dwyer

That is pretty a lock for the top 2 lines tonight.  The 3rd and 4th lines are tricky but I think it'll look something like this:

Skinner  -  Nash  -  Lindholm

Dvorak  -  Sutter  -  Westgarth

Bowman would be a healthy scratch in this situation.

As far as the defense we are looking at something along the lines of:

Faulk  -  Sekera

Hainsey  -  Murphy

Harrison  -  Bellemore

I really like that lineup considering 2 top players are out.  Once Ruutu returns to the 2nd line, I'm not sure what the lines will look like but no matter how it shakes out we will have 3 solid lines that can score.  Very excited for him to come back.

When Gleason gets back we will have some nice depth.  Murphy, Bellemore, and Komi will likely rotate depending on their play which is nice because it takes some pressure off of them.  With Gleason in the lineup, I really like the combo of Harrison and Bellemore as well as Harrison and Murphy.  Komi just seems like the odd man out, in my opinion.

Edited by TheFaulker

According to Michael Smith, The Pylon and Komi (pylon #2?) are healthy scratches, and the 4th line is:

Sutter-Linholm-Bowman

This would seem to make a 3rd line of:

Skinner-Nash-Dvorak

The rest looks right up front.

I know there has been chemistry w/ Gerbe-J-Dwyer, but that line would look so much better w/ Ruutu on it.

Detroit rolls out Franzen-Weiss-Alfreddson on their second line.

Might need our third line to chip in tonight.

On the back end I doubt Murphy makes the second pair. More likely Bellemore gets a big time look there.

Both Linholm and Murphy will see first unit PP time though.

Edited by remkin

I'm gonna say it, I'd rather have Chad Larose on the 2nd line then Dwyer. If Chad can't find employment right now, how Dwyer has a job in the NHL is beyond me.

Like ripping off a Band-Aid.

BOLO for Dwyer having a hatty tonight now that I said that.

I read, I think from Chip, that he could be back in little as 10 days.  Very good news!

Thanks. Great news. Hope Chip said it 7 days ago. HAH!!

Wow, Vrbata scores an opening night hat trick! Two hat tricks in last two regular season games. That's a great accomplishment .Can't remember why he left.

Edited by winger52

Always loved Vrbata, and laddie, and whitney.. anyways, no predictions, but   Gerbe will be involved... ok, i admit i have  a man crush on the gerbs   , :)

I'm gonna say it, I'd rather have Chad Larose on the 2nd line then Dwyer. If Chad can't find employment right now, how Dwyer has a job in the NHL is beyond me.

As much as I want to see that, the Rosey ship has left port and sunk somewhere off the coast of Remkin island...there were no survivors.

Someone explain to me why we go out and sign Komi...only to healthy scratch him?

Someone explain to me why we go out and sign Komi...only to healthy scratch him?

I suspect it was the same reason we signed Gerbe and the Smurf.  They were relatively cheap with decent potential upside and not too much of a downside.  Not every move is going to hit.  If needed, hopefully Komi provides at least a little better depth than we had last year.

Edited by LakeLivin

My prediction for the game is 1-1 after the first with Detroit having the better scoring chances. Early in the second Kronwall will catch either Lindholm or Skinner with their heads down resulting in them being carried from the ice. The Canes in turn will lose their heads resulting in an endless parade to the penalty box. Detroit will win the game by a final score of 6-2. I really hope that I am wrong but I just have a bad feeling.

After 2 periods: most improved

1.Chantel . much more professional

2. Canes... as a whole very fast

3. Gerbe.... Jerseys wanted

4. Dywer.. Shuts down Zetterberg

5. Defense... much improved

6. Cam.. looking good

7. Murphy a major plus

I thought we played very well. The defense looked very good. Gerbe is very quick and in constant action. Murphy looked even faster than last year to me. Cam made a half dozen real good saves keeping Detroit in check. Good game out of Dvorak and he still has legs,moved very well. Lindholm looked lost a few times, but held his own. WE had a few close shots that just missed.Semin fired a cannon wide that was close. Nash nearly had one in the first. Not alot of hitting from either side,just a good hockey game .We just need to finish close games like this as two points were ours. We got a little into the defensive mode the last three minutes trying to hold onto the win. Glad we at least came away with a point.

I was hoping to make it to Remkin Island. The momentum from a win over Detroit in game 1 would have been huge. Unfortunately, the end of regulation and OT looked all to familiar. Still withholding judgment, but we really need a win Sunday. And we need to figure out how to play at least .500 hockey in OT/shootout games. I think our record in these games since the Cup season is pretty abysmal, and has kept us out of the playoffs once or twice. On the bright side, we did get secondary scoring, and Semin hit 2posts in third period.

So close ...

Remkin Island is still out here, lights on.

Just for a moment, close your eyes and imagine that last Detroit goal shot deflects harmlessly to the corner. There would be so many people showing up on the Island we'd be overwhelmed. No, for the Island, this was best.

We outplayed a dang good team for most of the game, and were one bounce away from a 2 point night. Cam looked good. The defensive zone play was way better than last year. 

We have a lot of new faces a couple of rookies and guys coming back from injuries. We had a lot of days off, I was really worried we'd take longer to find our game speed. We got a point. Yes, should have had two, but gives the coach something to focus on to sharpen up the group.

The loss was disappointing, but overall more good than bad, and the Island is still anticipating future growth.

Overall, very pleased with tonight's game.  We played a better/more experienced team and should've won.  Until the very end the defense looked much improved.  Yeah, Detroit controlled the puck for a lot of the game but our guys plugged up the lanes and forced a lot of turnovers.  Cam looked great as well.  Very encouraging.

Justin Faulk is so good.  Made some unreal plays on defense.  And Ryan Murphy is for real.  He is so much fun to watch out there once he gets the puck.

Just think, we got a point against the Red Wings with the top line being completely silent.  That is something would've never happened last season.  Several new faces on the team and we are still missing 2 key players.  

Heartbreaking loss but very encouraging. 

Edited by TheFaulker

Ok we played against the best possesion team in the NHL. But...

1. We continue to not finish checks.

2. Players continue to go down down the lane uncontested leading to a shelling of Ward.

3. We once again cannot eetablish a forecheck due to not playing physical.

4. Out 1st and 2nd line were pretty.much nonexistent last night.

5. Ou4 PK wss good.

6. We had a PP gosl.but the PP is still *edit*.

7. Ward was the only reason we got s point tonight.

8. I also "think" I saw sound positioning from our D resulting in A LOT of blocked shots...

I'm not impressed. This was a great tesm ee played but the 3rd period meltdown was discouraging. Lots of new faces. Will reserve finao verdict until 10 games in.

Edited by bluedevil58

I forgot to mention one thought from last night.  How many Wings fans were in the building last night?  Because it sounded and looked like a Red Wings home game last night at times.

It's the Red Wings man.  There were a lot of them there.  

Obviously living in Detroit was too luxurious for them, so here they are. Get ready for this to be a common theme playing Pits, Philly, NYR, et al.

Remkin Island is still out here, lights on.

Just for a moment, close your eyes and imagine that last Detroit goal shot deflects harmlessly to the corner. There would be so many people showing up on the Island we'd be overwhelmed. No, for the Island, this was best.

We outplayed a dang good team for most of the game, and were one bounce away from a 2 point night. Cam looked good. The defensive zone play was way better than last year. 

We have a lot of new faces a couple of rookies and guys coming back from injuries. We had a lot of days off, I was really worried we'd take longer to find our game speed. We got a point. Yes, should have had two, but gives the coach something to focus on to sharpen up the group.

The loss was disappointing, but overall more good than bad, and the Island is still anticipating future growth.

Leave the lights on rem, I might be running a little late.

I'm disappointed in the loss but by no means discouraged. 

Despite the loss, I liked the effort and jump we had in our game. A top tier Detroit team might have rode out momentum changes longer than the Canes and appeared the "better" team, but they never really dominated the Canes or broke down or overwhelmed our D.

The bottom line is the outcome of the game hinged on a couple of lucky bounces that happen to go Detroit's way. 

With the opener out of the way and a chance to settle some nerves, consistency and bringing the same effort every night will be the main key to start winning some games.    

Trying to 100% keep an open mind about last night.

Its one game, some good and some not so good.

Bottom line -- we got a point! Not bad at all.

Think about this...   a team can go 41-W 41-L and if all the losses were in OT, that team would likely  have the MOST POINTS in the NHL come season's end (just for playing 500 ball). Naturally this will never happen, but it does illustrate the value in getting a single point... and how valuable that is to making the playoffs.  

Sekera takes Zetterberg's initial backhand off the chest, it comes right back to Zetterberg on his forehand and he's able to bury it from point blank to tie the game. Ward looked like he probably couldn't see it through all the chaos. That puck takes any other bounce and it's probably no goal. 

End result aside, I feel like the team actually looked pretty decent. If our top line had more of an impact in the game, I think we walk away with that win. However, I felt like both J.Staal's and Nash's lines looked pretty good. So maybe we have the depth scoring that we all feared we didn't. If Eric's line shows up and everyone else plays like last night, we're going to put up a lot of goals. 

Cam Ward looked good.

Sekera takes Zetterberg's initial backhand off the chest, it comes right back to Zetterberg on his forehand and he's able to bury it from point blank to tie the game. Ward looked like he probably couldn't see it through all the chaos. That puck takes any other bounce and it's probably no goal. 

. . .

True, but you could also look at all the other Detroit shots that happened to bounce safely away (in our favor). Or the rebound that bounced directly to Gerbe in front of the net.  I don't think you can fairly focus on just that one bouncing a different way. . .

Having said that, I agree with most of the rest of your post.  And note that Semin beat Howard but hit the post on one of the best shots of the night. The first line wasn't entirely silent.

All in all, I think the next game will tell more about this season than this one does.  Hopefully the Canes will come out fired up at the lost opportunity rather than down due to disappointment.