The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Skinner looks good on the third line. Dvorak isn't bad either. I also like the play of Sutter on the fourth line. No matter how we juggle our lines when Ruu is healthy I think Sutter stays.

Murphy and Bellemore are kind of the story on defense. Must admit I called Murphy, but while I've loved what Bellemore brought last year and even more this pre season, AND thought Komi looked a bit pylon-like, I am a bit surprised Komi can't crack the line up w/ Gleason out.

So far we have given up 1.5 goals per game, and one on a mad dash 6 on 5. I can't see shaking up the defense at this point.

Now we are in for the biggest defensive tests of the year coming up. Pittsburgh has put up major points already this year, as has Washington, and LA, oh and a little team called the Blackhawks; So far this year:

Goals per game:

Chicago 4.0, Pittsburgh 3.5, Washington 3.3, LA 3.0.

1. We are going to need more than 2 goals to beat these teams.
2. We will get the biggest stress test our D will get, starting tomorrow.

Last year offensive rank:

Pittsburgh: #1
Chicago: #2
Washington: #5
LA: #10 (and they'll be rested waiting for us having played Washington the night before).

Oh and 4 of the last 5 Stanley Cups, including the last two.

Buckle up. If we get through that with some points, we're going to start building out here on the Island.

Edited by remkin

I agree. I think Forslund said on the radio that Gleason may be awhile. I think he would take Bellemore's spot. So long as Murphy's defense isn't horrendous because we need his offensive ability on the backend.

Agree eventhough I really like what Bellemore has shown sofar. Also about Murphy. I think he is up for good unless he has some major brain cramps in his own end. Our relay guy at the half-boards is a decent alternative to a puck mover but a lot more predictable when Murphy or Hainsey aren't on the ice.

Ruutu will be with the team in Pittsburgh

This is awesome. 

If Ruutu can stay healthy put him on either 2a or 2b and slot others down. 

This give us our full offensive firepower. 

I go Ruutu/J/Gerbe if Lindholm is ok. 

If not, Ruutu/Nash/Skinner

Which ever line he ends up on gets a big boost.

This is awesome. 

If Ruutu can stay healthy put him on either 2a or 2b and slot others down. 

This give us our full offensive firepower. 

I go Ruutu/J/Gerbe if Lindholm is ok. 

If not, Ruutu/Nash/Skinner

Which ever line he ends up on gets a big boost.

Ruutu will be with the team but Chip said he may not play.  I'd say he's more likely to play Thursday night than tomorrow.  He also said Lindholm is likely to play tomorrow.

Either way, I agree with you about the lines.

Gerbe/J/Ruutu would be awesome.

Keep line 3 the same.

Move Dwyer to the 4th with Lindholm and Sutter/Bowman.

Made it to the game last night and was really impressed...

Dvorak--great, great, signing...exactly what we needed.  Classic JR Sneaky Snake move. 

Defense--Massive upgrade.  Biggest change I saw last night was the ability to keep pressure in the scoring zone because the D actually held onto the puck.  I cannot remember how many times I smacked myself on the head when the puck would pop off the Corvo or McBain's stick and bounce out of the zone...Last night we held onto the puck and pressured the zone all night.  It was awesome. 

Lindholm--Played well and you can see what he brings to the table...mature, smart, great hands and vision, he knows what to do with the puck and doesn't hesitate.  He's gonna be a great addition for a long, long time. 

We are a good team right now, still need some time and work (PP especially) if/when that gets clicking and Semin E Tlusty get in sync, look out. 

It will be interesting to see where Ruutu slots in when he is finally healthy.  Personally, I think the second line has been pretty darn good handling the top lines so far, but that's just me. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

Peter Laviolette fired...http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=685771&navid=nhl:topheads.

Side bar: Really liking Dvorak and his Veteran experience that we needed so badly. I hope he continues this play level and helps some of the younger guys.

Yes, me and all my harping about leadership, and Dvorak really proved me wrong when I speculated he wouldn't be that guy to pot a goal when it's needed most. So far anyways, but even when his offense falls off (which it should and we shouldn't get disgruntled over it, it should be expected) he's going to be a great calming factor on the bench, in the locker room (who knows, but I get the feeling he would), and on the ice. Really impressed with Raddy.

Made it to the game last night and was really impressed...

Dvorak--great, great, signing...exactly what we needed.  Classic JR Sneaky Snake move. 

Defense--Massive upgrade.  Biggest change I saw last night was the ability to keep pressure in the scoring zone because the D actually held onto the puck.  I cannot remember how many times I smacked myself on the head when the puck would pop off the Corvo or McBain's stick and bounce out of the zone...Last night we held onto the puck and pressured the zone all night.  It was awesome. 

We are a good team right now, still need some time and work (PP especially) if/when that gets clicking and Semin E Tlusty get in sync, look out. 

Agreed, WHEN the first line begins to click and dominate WHICH they will inevitably, and the rest of our team continues playing the way it has so far, I got a real good feeling about this season. And we definitely need to start cashing on on a PP or two nightly. Just has to happen if we want to make the post-season.

Muller's system to me is a hybrid of puck possession and aggressive and physical forechecking/backchecking when we don't have puck possession. Once the first line starts working out, we'll be pretty solid at controlling play in my opinion. Really happy with our new defense, which for some reason THN rated 30th in the league despite never seeing them play together. Real solid scouting report there, THN.  :rolleyes:

It will be interesting to see where Ruutu slots in when he is finally healthy.  Personally, I think the second line has been pretty darn good handling the top lines so far, but that's just me. 

Ruu has to go to the 2d line, if/when healthy and if he slots into his usual LW spot that would put Gerbe out and I think it's tough to slot him anywhere else.  3rd line is playing too well, maybe he and Bowman split time on the 4th?  Interesting decisions to be made soon on that end and then when Gleason comes back...You'd think Bellemore gets sent down, but he is playing pretty well...Faulk/Sekeera is on fire right now, Murphy is holding his own and Harrison is is usual steady presence. 

Ruu has to go to the 2d line, if/when healthy and if he slots into his usual LW spot that would put Gerbe out and I think it's tough to slot him anywhere else.  3rd line is playing too well, maybe he and Bowman split time on the 4th?  Interesting decisions to be made soon on that end and then when Gleason comes back...You'd think Bellemore gets sent down, but he is playing pretty well...Faulk/Sekeera is on fire right now, Murphy is holding his own and Harrison is is usual steady presence. 

I would think Komi would be the one sent down.  Bellemore is currently in the top 4 and looking strong.

NO way does Gerbe get slotted down to the fourth. Dwyer will go to fourth RW, and I think if Gerbe was asked he'd try the RW, although Ruutu has played RW for us for extended periods of time (remember Skins and Finns?) so I don't think we'd sacrifice Gerbe's ice time just so Ruutu plays LW.

I also think Gerbe and Jordan have good chemistry, better than Dwyer and Jordan. Ruutu and Jordan showed chemistry when Ruu came back late last season, so I think a line of Gerbe - Jordan - Ruutu or Ruutu - Jordan - Gerbe would really click and not only be dominant defensively, but offensively as well. Not to mention Dwyer and Sutter were linemates for a bit in Charlotte way back when and played well.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Not sure what the adjustments would be, but I don't see Muller not finding a spot for Gerbe on line 2A or 2B.  He's been in the middle of too much action so far to lose that dynamic. 

:thumbsup2: SPEED KILLS :thumbsup2:

Edited by LakeLivin

I would think Ruu will be slotted on the 4th line in Bowman's spot for a game or two. I think Muller will want to see how Ruu looks and allow Ruu to skate limited minutes. Then the decision will be to drop Dwyer or Dvorak to 4th line. My guess is Dwyer but he sure is playing well. Ruu or Skinner can also play center but thats the Jokinen scenario all over again.

Nice problem to have. We should get a little better idea after the next three games. IMO Ruutu makes the Canes a better team.

I wish we had another preseason game or two to see what a Gerbe/ Skinner/ Dvorak line would look like in action.  That speed could be devastating if they clicked . . .

NO way does Gerbe get slotted down to the fourth. Dwyer will go to fourth RW, and I think if Gerbe was asked he'd try the RW, although Ruutu has played RW for us for extended periods of time (remember Skins and Finns?) so I don't think we'd sacrifice Gerbe's ice time just so Ruutu plays LW.

I also think Gerbe and Jordan have good chemistry, better than Dwyer and Jordan. Ruutu and Jordan showed chemistry when Ruu came back late last season, so I think a line of Gerbe - Jordan - Ruutu or Ruutu - Jordan - Gerbe would really click and not only be dominant defensively, but offensively as well. Not to mention Dwyer and Sutter were linemates for a bit in Charlotte way back when and played well.

I agree SP. I thought Ruutu always played RW to Skinner's LW; although Ruu can play all 3 forward positions. There does seem to be some chemistry between Gerbe and Jordan, while late last year Jordan had some spark with Ruu. In general, I think J Staal has looked really good this short season even though he hasn't scored yet.

Think Bowman may have the short straw when Ruutu returns. Pat Dwyer will go to either 3RW or 4RW. If he goes to 3RW, Dvorak will move to 4RW and Sutter to 4LW with Lindholm at 4C.

In all seriousness, we might have one of the most if not the most underrated blue line in the NHL. Is this a homer of me to think this way?

This roadtrip will be a real test to see how good they are. Murphy still scares me defensively. Faulk has looked much better than he did in the preseason, thank goodness. And I guess I'm in the minority on the board, but IMO Hainsey has been good in all 3 zones, especially with some key blocks.

I'm assuming both Bowman and Sutter will have to clear waivers to go to Charlotte. Interesting stuff to consider. Ruu on the RW with J and Gerbe could be a feisty line with some real firepower. 3rd line is clicking too well to tinker with right now. I think Sutter has to stay on the 4th line for the grit he brings, maybe Bowman is the odd guy out which is unfortunate because he's played pretty well.

In all seriousness, we might have one of the most if not the most underrated blue line in the NHL. Is this a homer of me to think this way?

Canes are 2 games into an 82 game season. It is a bit early to start sizing those championship rings.