The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I know he is getting a lot of attention now, but he is an UFA and probably a perfect solution for our third line. 

Not sure what he'd cost, but he's big, gritty, gets in front of the net and can score 15-20 goals. 

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9336895/bryan-bickell-emergence-key-chicago-blackhawks

I think he (Bryan Bickell) could be a good pick-up if his recent press doesn't go to his agent's head. Read Chicago was hoping to re-sign him for $1.5-2.0M, Edited by Bill_B

There is still time to vote for Semin in the TSN Play of the Year.  Vote Here

Semin sick pass to Tlusty is up against one heck of a save by Jake Allen.

Bickell is gonna command too much $$ for JR to go after.  There isn't much of a chance he'll land here.

If Chicago's going to try to re-sign him for <$2M, maybe JR could be successful at $2.5. But that's after we take care of the defense, of course.

Bob Wage (Canes Country) reported that during a radio interview with a Edmonton Radio station JR said,  that the thing in common  [ with playoff teams] seemed to him to be older, veteran defensemen and that there were very good defensemen in this draft who might be able to step in and play right away, but can you make the playoffs with them in the lineup?

Gives us a clue we are looking for D-men that have been around a while.  I wonder how much we are willing to pay for a veteran. It looks like Mark Streit isn't going back to the Islanders. Some think he is seeking in excess of $5 million a year.  Ouch, I doubt he is an option without a serious trade first.

Bob Wage (Canes Country) reported that during a radio interview with a Edmonton Radio station JR said,  that the thing in common  [ with playoff teams] seemed to him to be older, veteran defensemen and that there were very good defensemen in this draft who might be able to step in and play right away, but can you make the playoffs with them in the lineup?

Gives us a clue we are looking for D-men that have been around a while.  I wonder how much we are willing to pay for a veteran. It looks like Mark Streit isn't going back to the Islanders. Some think he is seeking in excess of $5 million a year.  Ouch, I doubt he is an option without a serious trade first.

OBXer, who are you referring too, Streit? Personally, I like to see JR pursue a young "veteran" d-man, like Yandle, Seabrook, Coburn, etc.

EDIT:  Oops! I see it was Streit you were talking about..

Edited by Bill_B

OBXer, who are you referring too, Streit? Personally, I like to see JR pursue a young "veteran" d-man, like Yandle, Seabrook, Coburn, etc.

EDIT:  Oops! I see it was Streit you were talking about..

JR said older, veteran defenseman.  Streit would be too expensive IMO. But it does point out that there are going to be some defenseman out there that won't be able to make deals or will be bought out. I think some during this new cap era are going to be disappointed to find out they aren't worth what they thought.

Here's the list of UFA defensemen per CapGeek  http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

Question is what does JR mean by "older" in that interview...I would think 28-35 or so at the very high end if we are gonna sign someone to a 3 or 4 year deal.  Letting go of LaRose, Brent, MAB, Corvo, and Sangs frees up 6.15 mil; but Skinner is getting a bump from 900K to 4.35 Mil which means a net of only 1.8 mil in free space.  Plus if Brent is gone we'll have to pay Welsh something plus the #5 pick. McBain has a year left at 1.8 and then is a RFA after that...could be a good deal for a team looking to see if he'd fit in...

Edited by Law-Dawg

I'd imagine by veteran we're talking 30's+, which actually can spell good things for us since there's a few decent 30 somethings in the UFA. I pretty much listed them earlier with their ages and last cap hit. But no one really responded to it so whatever.

Streit - 35

Scuderi - 34

Hainsey - 32

Gonchar - 39  (you'd think he'd be cheaper now with his age. Doesn't seem like JR would go after him, but we did randomly sign TKabs one year)

Welsh has a one-way contract at $850K.

I hope JR has learned his lesson about sticking a year at big club guaranteed salary on the tail ends of AHL

contracts ala Conboy, Peters, and Welsh. Maybe it's done by a lot of GMs, but I don't remember it working out for JR.

Edited by super_dave_1

I know he is getting a lot of attention now, but he is an UFA and probably a perfect solution for our third line. 

Not sure what he'd cost, but he's big, gritty, gets in front of the net and can score 15-20 goals. 

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9336895/bryan-bickell-emergence-key-chicago-blackhawks

More on Bickell: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/unsung-hero-bryan-bickell-going-paid-205251258.html

I'd imagine by veteran we're talking 30's+, which actually can spell good things for us since there's a few decent 30 somethings in the UFA. I pretty much listed them earlier with their ages and last cap hit. But no one really responded to it so whatever.

Streit - 35

Scuderi - 34

Hainsey - 32

Gonchar - 39  (you'd think he'd be cheaper now with his age. Doesn't seem like JR would go after him, but we did randomly sign TKabs one year)

I think Scuderi is the obvious choice from that list in terms of what we need. He would be a nice addition IMO.

And I agree with others, Bickell's recent play will put us out of the running. It is frustrating, but our available funds need to go towards the defense anyway.

Bickell may be out of our price range, but he's the kind of guy we need for our third line. Kind of an upgrade on LaRose.

I'm not a huge fan of picking up guys with long playoff runs anyway. Too tired and cup hungover. Not that Chicago has won the cup by any stretch.

Bickell may be out of our price range, but he's the kind of guy we need for our third line. Kind of an upgrade on LaRose.

I'm not a huge fan of picking up guys with long playoff runs anyway. Too tired and cup hungover. Not that Chicago has won the cup by any stretch.

Bickell would be nice but not at NYR pricing. He could be a one year wonder because he has no real track record.

Maybe somebody like Ryane Clowe for the 3rd line and Matt Hendricks for the 4th...grit with some offense...could be looked at after the defense is taken care of by JR.

Edited by Bill_B

Nice, thanks for the link!  One name that really stood out to me:  Andrew Alberts - 31 - 6'5, 218LBS - $1,225,000

I don't mean to get into the whole recycling cliche, but this is an opportunity to correct the wrong of trading him away for virtually nothing.  He has an issue with taking penalties, so it seems, though some of his PIM could be from fighting.  I remember him being very physical, hard nosed, heavy hitter and shot blocker.  He's not going to be the savior of the defensive corp, but he's better than most of what we've got and more willing to get dirty.  Other than vintage Gleason, who else has that quality?  To me he's a piece of the puzzle that has been missing, but I wouldn't consider the issue closed with just his acquisition.

Nice, thanks for the link!  One name that really stood out to me:  Andrew Alberts - 31 - 6'5, 218LBS - $1,225,000

I don't mean to get into the whole recycling cliche, but this is an opportunity to correct the wrong of trading him away for virtually nothing.  He has an issue with taking penalties, so it seems, though some of his PIM could be from fighting.  I remember him being very physical, hard nosed, heavy hitter and shot blocker.  He's not going to be the savior of the defensive corp, but he's better than most of what we've got and more willing to get dirty.  Other than vintage Gleason, who else has that quality?  To me he's a piece of the puzzle that has been missing, but I wouldn't consider the issue closed with just his acquisition.

Yeah...I see Alberts lurking out there but look at his stats.  http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3240  Last 3 years, 42, 44, and 24 games played; he's not an every day guy.  This Stratchan kid out of Fla is really interesting though, a -13 with the Panthers but there was not a SINGLE plus player on that roster who played 20 or more games (yeeeesh).  28 years old, big, 62 blocks in 38 games last year. 

He best not spend 5.5 million on Streit. 

But who? Who does he get off of the FA market? That has me more baffled than the draft pick.

What do people think Bickell is going to cost? Clowe is already making $4 million.

He best not spend 5.5 million on Streit. 

But who? Who does he get off of the FA market? That has me more baffled than the draft pick.

What do people think Bickell is going to cost? Clowe is already making $4 million.

No way it's Streit...although a heck of a good player, I don't think he's the type of guy we are looking for.  I've watched some videos of Nich and he's just too good to pass up and I can't see us trading that pick...seeing him flying down the wing and then bulldogging his way to the net with the puck is just awesome.  I think we get our D-Man in the FA market or by JR working one of those "how did he do that" trades a la Jokinen, Kaberle.  Honestly, if we can get one guy and then sign MAB to a 1 year deal, we're in pretty good shape on the back end. 

No way it's Streit...although a heck of a good player, I don't think he's the type of guy we are looking for.  I've watched some videos of Nich and he's just too good to pass up and I can't see us trading that pick...seeing him flying down the wing and then bulldogging his way to the net with the puck is just awesome.  I think we get our D-Man in the FA market or by JR working one of those "how did he do that" trades a la Jokinen, Kaberle.  Honestly, if we can get one guy and then sign MAB to a 1 year deal, we're in pretty good shape on the back end. 

Agree with everything except...

On MAB...michael-scott-no.gif