The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Note that BD said "underrated" not "best".  Given the complete lack of respect most analysts have shown us preseason, that doesn't seem like an unreasonable hypothesis to me.

Yeah, but I'm not ready to make major evaluations after 2 games.  They look much better, but one bad game and everybody is back on the ledge.  Remember that just a week or two ago, many didn't have high expectations.  Remember that just last Friday night, many were saying they were the same old "choking in the 3rd" Canes. 

I'm happy with what I have seen so far.  Give it some time and we will see where this team really is.

We're on the same page, which is why I worded my reply the way I did.  Given what our completely revamped D has done so far in the very short time it's played together, BD's statement is an interesting hypothesis that only time will prove or disprove.

And you're right, it won't take much to put people back out on the ledge :P  (I wouldn't be shocked if it happened tonight) :unsure: .

Edited by LakeLivin

Good to hear they're both skating but Lindholm took a big hit (shoulder?) on his already somewhat banged up body on Sunday, I hope he's ready for a tough match up.  The Pens can play a very physical game but imo, most teams don't play a physical game against the Canes unless the Canes instigate it first.

How nice it would be (upon Ruutu's readiness) to put 95% of our team out there at once.

That will be great.

I'm still a little concerned about any lingering effects (speed, lateral movement) from Eric's repaired/rehabbed knee and Semin's taped up hand/wrist (no SOG yet).

Good to hear they're both skating but Lindholm took a big hit (shoulder?) on his already somewhat banged up body on Sunday, I hope he's ready for a tough match up.  The Pens can play a very physical game but imo, most teams don't play a physical game against the Canes unless the Canes instigate it first.

Did they ever indicate whether it was the hit or the slash that put him out?  I haven't heard definitively either way . . .

I havent heard.  I saw the hit and watched him head right into the dressing room after.  It didnt look too good.  He must be a pretty tough kid but I hate he's getting so banged up already.

I was watching the game online and the announcers thought it might have been the slash.  Yeah, it is a shame his intro to the league has been so tough this far . . .

I was watching the game online and the announcers thought it might have been the slash.  Yeah, it is a shame his intro to the league has been so tough this far . . .

What I saw looked more like a shoulder, I must have missed the slash.

That will be great.

I'm still a little concerned about any lingering effects (speed, lateral movement) from Eric's repaired/rehabbed knee and Semin's taped up hand/wrist (no SOG yet).

You never know unitl he starts producing in real NHL games, but he looked pretty good in the pre season.

What I saw looked more like a shoulder, I must have missed the slash.

Talbot got him across the wrists.  Should have been a penalty.  Better a wrist than re-injuring the shoulder, if that's really what it is, though. 

Talbot got him across the wrists.  Should have been a penalty.  Better a wrist than re-injuring the shoulder, if that's really what it is, though. 

This early in the season, and with a healthy RW being scratched every game, I am sure they would be cautious with him.  I could really see his talent starting show against the Flyers.  I think we might have found a gem!

The bold explains part of it. Pretty easy on the plus minus to stand at the blue line while Tlusty nets another one. Also, that top line kept the puck in the offensive zone a lot. On the flip side the other guys often put their checking line out there at the same time, not presenting a huge threat to score. 

Trust me McBain is awful as an NHL dman. His best hope is to be an offensive dman where one can excuse the weak defense, but he doesn't produce enough offense to even come close. I'd be surprised if he is in the NHL next year. I thought Sekera was a massive upgrade, but frankly so is Murphy. Murphy is the classic example of an offensive dman where you can live with defensive growing pains because he can break down a defense and create a scoring chance. McBain? Not so much.

On the flip side, the decent plus minus probably allowed us to move him. Perfect timing. Now Buffalo also got a decent second round pick, so the trade was not frank larceny, but the McBain part of it was.

Far be it from me to interfere with anyone's personal vendetta. Just pointing out that the recollection of his +/- was incorrect.

Far be it from me to interfere with anyone's personal vendetta. Just pointing out that the recollection of his +/- was incorrect.

One can have an opinion without it being a personal vendetta. What I posted is my opinion. I wish Jamie the best. I hope he does well. I didn't bring it up either.

While I have some pretty firm opinions about some things, and players, and will share them more than once, it's not a personal vendetta.

I think I posted some legitimate reasons why his +/- could be misleading. Also, JR seems to agree with my assessment.

Edited by remkin

i remember him(Lindholm) favoring his hand/wrist, not his shoulder, heading into the dressing room.

as to the underated defense thing...yes, they have misjudged us. will that last for very long, no. use that advantage while you have it and steal some points.

i remember him(Lindholm) favoring his hand/wrist, not his shoulder, heading into the dressing room.

as to the underated defense thing...yes, they have misjudged us. will that last for very long, no. use that advantage while you have it and steal some points.

Yeah, what I saw as he came off the ice was that he was holding his wrist.  We sit very close behind the bench, next to the tunnel to the dressing room.  I thought wrist, my wife thought shoulder.  I guess one would hold the wrist to immobilize the shoulder, though.  He returned to the bench soon after.

Correct me if I am wrong but did we just partially pay for that hat trick? I would like to claim one of those goals since we are paying part of Jokinen's salary!

I thought we played well, in the 2nd especially we were down and fought back but the quick answer after Gerbe's goal was crippling. I liked the fight we had for the most part but we have to clean up on the errors.

Side bar what is everyone's thoughts about Lindholm through his first 3 games playing some of the bigger named teams in the NHL?

. Side bar what is everyone's thoughts about Lindholm through his first 3 games playing some of the bigger named teams in the NHL?

The kid has talent. I'm still not convinced he is ready for prime time. I want him to prove me wrong, I want him to break out.

Not Canes related but did anyone else stay up and watch Tomas Hertl put on a show for the Sharks?

The 19 year old rookie scored 4 goals against the Rags (11 min ice time). This is after he scored 2 goals Saturday night.

It was a real special moment when he got the hat trick.  Then his 4th goal put me at a loss for words.

Edited by TheFaulker