The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Not Canes related but did anyone else stay up and watch Tomas Hertl put on a show for the Sharks?

The 19 year old rookie scored 4 goals against the Rags (11 min ice time). This is after he scored 2 goals Saturday night.

It was a real special moment when he got the hat trick.  Then his 4th goal put me at a loss for words.

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-7NgESsc5Y

No doubt it was good for Jussi to be moved.. I've always thought he was one of the worst players for taking shifts off.. Nonetheless Canes faced an outstanding team last night, and hopefully they can use it as a measure of how far they have to improve. Wish muller would leave the first line alone, and give it some time..

Most wanted new team jersey is now: Gerbs.........................

the way he was playing when he was here last year, i would have traded him to.

By that logic, the entire team minus the first line should've been out the door.

Considering we were the 3rd team that Jussi has mailed it in for I'm not mad about it. I personally believe we should have bought him out and kept our prospect whom apparently almost made the Pens lineup. If he almost made the Pens lineup he'd be on our roster for sure.

A few words come to mind about last nights game: Poetic Justice. We used Jussi the wrong way when we had him here, and cast him aside. Players die in our system sometimes. Look at Boucher we tade him and he ends up playing and starting inhe finals. Or Andrew Ladd, even Craig Adams a bit and the list goes on since the days of the Whalers. I would mail it in too if I was playing for a team that was holding me back. After the the changes we made in the off season we are still a bit of a joke. Cam Ward has 8 goals against in 2 games! Teams like the Pens are in our division now we need to get tough and better. Playing decent and looking pretty good dosent aything in the way of being a serious contender. Im not trying to look at things from a half empty stand point but this team has been doing the same crap since I started following them in '95 as the Whalers. No what we do is over pay for players once we have some money, no offense but we pay Jordan Staal the same amount give or take as Det. pays Zetterberg. Dont get me started on TU's contract. I guess the seaon is still early and there is of course time for the team to click and i hope it does, but historically speaking it usually dosent, hense the frustration. After years of buying the NHL package because I live in MA, buying team swag and tickets when they play in town I just want to see some worth a damn. We have been rebuilding since '05. If JR didnt own part of the team he would have been fired years ago. Fingers crossed that games like last night dont happen often.

Boucher made the finals prior to us bringing him in, which is why we brought him in. He like every other back up who comes here can't hack it. Including the savior Ellis last year who started hot and when called upon sucked.

Edited by legend-1

I don't feel Jussi was that big of a mistake.  he had a good game.  He's got Malkin making beautiful passes to him.  If he's got 20 goals by Christmas than I'll consider it a bad move.  The fact is he totally stunk for us for a season and a half no matter where we put him.  Maybe he's just got great chemistry with that line up there or maybe he wont score another goal for 15 games like he used to do for us. 

It really bothers me that the Canes don't ever really play the good physical style of hockey. Yes there is a good hit every now and then, but most players must know that they aren't going to be lit up by anyone on the Canes roster when playing against them. Our 1 physical player hasn't been on the ice yet this year. It seems like its a politically correct style of play. We have brought in a few physical players in the past and then they pretty much stop hitting/fighting once they are with us for a few weeks. I wish we would go back to the more "OLD SCHOOL" style of hockey, like the Bruins play. If other team players do have a little fear about going into the corners and near the boards or in front of the net,it might help the Canes change where they are heading instead of where have been for the years since winning the cup!

Boucher made the finals prior to us bringing him in, which is why we brought him in. He like every other back up who comes here can't hack it. Including the savior Ellis last year who started hot and when called upon sucked.

So what does that tell us about our Goaltending Staff? Sorry but Cam is a starting goalie no question but he is not Elite. He could be but hasent been for years.  danimal: If we got rid of players because they were in a funk for a bit then half our team would be gone at this point. Yes the Pens havea stronger team than we do and yet still manage to keep it under the cap. Point blank proof that we over pay players like crazy. For what we are spending our team should be awesome. Jussi was huge in our deep playoff run a few years back then we started to do things like let good players walk in favor of subpar ones and mixed alot of stuff up what chemistry he had was prob. destoryed. We nickle and dime players who would be willing to play for us and let them walk. Im sorry but letting Sidenberg, Whitney, and Cole walk amoung others was pretty stupid in my opinion. Lets get Kaberle and Stewart, and Joslin and add Adam Hall and Bergeron lets recycle Corvo one more time and bring in Andrew Alberts and Aaron ward too,  yeah that will fix us. Say that out loud it sounds crazy. Thats aside from the fact that we picked up a player waived by 3 teams in a season including us in Boychuck but he has upside right? Im not drinking the cool-aid anymore with this team. As fans we deserve to watch Thrilling hockey. How much money have you all spend on Carolina Hurricanes related stuff, tickets, swag etc. Some on here prob spend large chunks of hard earned money to support this team while people with 3 figure salaries could care less to put a decent product on the ice. They hiked season ticket prices after the showing last season! What the hell is that? I love this team have for years, all i want to do is watch good clean hockey instead of our injury list season in and season out. Is that so much to ask?

I don't feel Jussi was that big of a mistake.  he had a good game.  He's got Malkin making beautiful passes to him.  If he's got 20 goals by Christmas than I'll consider it a bad move.  The fact is he totally stunk for us for a season and a half no matter where we put him.  Maybe he's just got great chemistry with that line up there or maybe he wont score another goal for 15 games like he used to do for us. 

I know.  i could have an eight goal season if I  played with Malkin, and I can barely skate.

I know.  i could have an eight goal season if I  played with Malkin, and I can barely skate.

I could be mistaken but didnt Boychuck get some time with Malkin? Oh and how did that end up, thats right he was waived twice and then we picked him back up. Dont think he even had a point on that line with him before he was waived.

Edited by Kopes2718

Posted yesterday:

.  .  .

And you're right, it won't take much to put people back out on the ledge :P  (I wouldn't be shocked if it happened tonight) :unsure: .

:goodpost::patself:  :lol: 

It really bothers me that the Canes don't ever really play the good physical style of hockey. Yes there is a good hit every now and then, but most players must know that they aren't going to be lit up by anyone on the Canes roster when playing against them. Our 1 physical player hasn't been on the ice yet this year. It seems like its a politically correct style of play. We have brought in a few physical players in the past and then they pretty much stop hitting/fighting once they are with us for a few weeks. I wish we would go back to the more "OLD SCHOOL" style of hockey, like the Bruins play. If other team players do have a little fear about going into the corners and near the boards or in front of the net,it might help the Canes change where they are heading instead of where have been for the years since winning the cup!

I understand your frustration but I think that perspective is a bit misguided.  We don't have the personnel to play a Bruins style of hockey, and a couple of different players isn't going to get us to it.  We're more suited to a Blackhawks style. Corey Sznajder's article describes the logic behind my train of thought a lot better than I can :) .

http://www.shutdownline.com/hurricanes/articles/news/the-problem-with-getting-tougher.html

Kopes. I think you are thinking of Michael Leighton as the goalie who started in the SCF after he was traded...

We have to overpay players to come here, we don't have the allure the pens have. They sell players on coming here with the "opportunity to play on a team with Malkin and Crosby". We have the Staal brothers and Semin, hardly a good comparison. Not to mention they seem to make the playoffs consistently, and we seem to miss the playoffs consistently.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Kopes. I think you are thinking of Michael Leighton as the goalie who started in the SCF after he was traded...

You are indeed correct, somewhere in my ranting I put down the wrong goalie by mistake. Thank you.

After 3 games we are in third place in the Metropolitan division. Thats a playoff spot. To early to count points, Ok then its to early to write this team off.  I'm willing to wait and see where this team is headed.

Although Im no big Cam ward fan, even I wouldnt blame him for last night.. The Canes do look faster and better on D than they did last season. However the first three games still show let downs after a score and difficulty putting the puck in position to score it....It will take the first line getting it together before this team is a real threat... Hoping that starts at the Verizon center tomorrow night.. Will be there!!!