The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

First I understand the thought in changing up the 1st line last night but IMO we just need to keep them going full games together and its going to click again they were too dangerous last year to toss Bowman in because him and Staal played well in the preseason together!

Secondly I am still trying to comprehend how Sekera is always in position...I have grown to accustom to seeing a certain former Hurricane who wore #4 skating himself out of position on almost every play. I guess I will just have to get used to a guy wearing #4 actually playing defense!

I hope Cam can get his act together and soon!  But, in the meantime, we need to switch goalies back and forth. Waiting for him to get his confidence back and his legs springy again will only put us further behind in the race.

Here's to Cam getting it back together...and soon!!

We have a back to back coming up. Personally I put Cam back in tomorrow night and Khudobin Friday.

Let Cam have right back at it. Also I think we have a better chance of stealing a point or two vs. Washington than we did in Pittsburgh, and Cam is still the #1, and finally, facing LA rested while we're back to back will take a goalie standing on his head and right now I think Khudoben is more likely to bring that kind of "stealing one" kind of game. 

Either way Khudobin should get one of the next two and Cam the other one.

So what does that tell us about our Goaltending Staff? Sorry but Cam is a starting goalie no question but he is not Elite. He could be but hasent been for years.  danimal: If we got rid of players because they were in a funk for a bit then half our team would be gone at this point. Yes the Pens havea stronger team than we do and yet still manage to keep it under the cap. Point blank proof that we over pay players like crazy. For what we are spending our team should be awesome. Jussi was huge in our deep playoff run a few years back then we started to do things like let good players walk in favor of subpar ones and mixed alot of stuff up what chemistry he had was prob. destoryed. We nickle and dime players who would be willing to play for us and let them walk. Im sorry but letting Sidenberg, Whitney, and Cole walk amoung others was pretty stupid in my opinion. Lets get Kaberle and Stewart, and Joslin and add Adam Hall and Bergeron lets recycle Corvo one more time and bring in Andrew Alberts and Aaron ward too,  yeah that will fix us. Say that out loud it sounds crazy. Thats aside from the fact that we picked up a player waived by 3 teams in a season including us in Boychuck but he has upside right? Im not drinking the cool-aid anymore with this team. As fans we deserve to watch Thrilling hockey. How much money have you all spend on Carolina Hurricanes related stuff, tickets, swag etc. Some on here prob spend large chunks of hard earned money to support this team while people with 3 figure salaries could care less to put a decent product on the ice. They hiked season ticket prices after the showing last season! What the hell is that? I love this team have for years, all i want to do is watch good clean hockey instead of our injury list season in and season out. Is that so much to ask?

I'll include Stillman and Justin Williams to the list. I also love the $15.00 for parking as well. $15.00 X 8,000 parking spaces....The rich get richer. I'm sorry but paying 15.00 to park my car in a paved or unpaved lot is insane. Add a drink and a bite to eat, $35.00 before I even get to the seat.

Edited by slapshot02

First I understand the thought in changing up the 1st line last night but IMO we just need to keep them going full games together and its going to click again they were too dangerous last year to toss Bowman in because him and Staal played well in the preseason together!

Secondly I am still trying to comprehend how Sekera is always in position...I have grown to accustom to seeing a certain former Hurricane who wore #4 skating himself out of position on almost every play. I guess I will just have to get used to a guy wearing #4 actually playing defense!

Bowman did show some speed but simply put I am not a Bowman fan. He will not be the answer on that line.

I'm starting to feel that Murphy needs to be sent down to develop his defensive game. He is a liability out there. When will be hop off of the Murphy wagon? He is good but not ready for the NHL IMO....

Seems pretty reasonable that Muller had Tlusty swap spots with Bowman to send a message.  It worked though, we got a goal out of it.  I don't think many see that continuing forward.

On Murphy, he'll likely look better at home, where we have the last line change.  Teams could and likely will try and exploit Murphy/Harrison at their place.  Murphy was close to the 18-minute mark last night at ES, and add a couple more on the PP.  Seems like way too much ice time for a bottom pairing guy to me, but anyway, what do I know.

I think the Canes are going to live with Murphy's mistakes and keep him in the lineup, at least until Gleason comes back, and even then who knows.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Defense--Massive upgrade.  Biggest change I saw last night was the ability to keep pressure in the scoring zone because the D actually held onto the puck.  I cannot remember how many times I smacked myself on the head when the puck would pop off the Corvo or McBain's stick and bounce out of the zone...Last night we held onto the puck and pressured the zone all night.  It was awesome. 

It was great to see how Sekera 3 times in one minute held the zone (against Philla). He showed great defensive skills, takeaways in defensive zone, lots of blocked shots. And last night he added 2 assists. He played so impressive at WCH2012 & WCH2013 for Slovakia. The best Slovak of both championships. He was outstanding! You will see...

It was great to see how Sekera 3 times in one minute held the zone (against Philla). He showed great defensive skills, takeaways in defensive zone, lots of blocked shots. And last night he added 2 assists. He played so impressive at WCH2012 & WCH2013 for Slovakia. The best Slovak of both championships. He was outstanding! You will see...

Welcome to the board pipo_kollar. I think many of us already regard Sekera as a nice addition to the team.

I'd also like to welcome you aboard pipo_kollar. You seem to know our new guy Sekera, and I'd like to ask, without being offensive, is he a countryman of yours? Your name seems to suggest that, but I could just be imagining that. At any rate, hope you find this board welcoming and always enjoy having new fans to enlarge the scope of our fan base.

I'd also like to welcome you aboard pipo_kollar. You seem to know our new guy Sekera, and I'd like to ask, without being offensive, is he a countryman of yours? Your name seems to suggest that, but I could just be imagining that. At any rate, hope you find this board welcoming and always enjoy having new fans to enlarge the scope of our fan base.

Yep, I am from a small Central European country with a lovely nature - Slovakia. Thank you guys for pleasant welcome. I appreciate it.

Yep, I am from a small Central European country with a lovely nature - Slovakia. Thank you guys for pleasant welcome. I appreciate it.

Welcome! Our nephew married a woman from Slovakia. They now have two little girls, and live in Brataslava. He loves it there,and I doubt he will ever move back to the States,

Welcome! Our nephew married a woman from Slovakia. They now have two little girls, and live in Brataslava. He loves it there,and I doubt he will ever move back to the States,

Thanks! Do we have beautiful women, don´t we? :) Go Canes Go!

Hey my family is from Slovakia, I love me some orechovník. ;)