The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Will be good to see Komi finally in action. 7 D sounds like Muller is prepping to choke that Caps PP offense with fresh, big D.

Here's hoping for Sasha finally putting the biscuit in the basket....AND watching that stick of his.

Caps PP is scaring about every one apparently. Our guys are going to have to play smart.

Edited by radionradiation

That's probably good that he is playing. Definitely need some size against the Caps. Hopefully he brings some edge/attitude with him!! Glad to see #31 in net tonite as well!!

Will be good to see Komi finally in action. 7 D sounds like Muller is prepping to choke that Caps PP offense with fresh, big D.

Here's hoping for Sasha finally putting the biscuit in the basket....AND watching that stick of his.

Caps PP is scaring the about our of every one apparently. Our guys are going to have to play smart.

Edited by djharley

That's probably good that he is playing. Definitely need some size against the Caps. Hopefully he brings some edge/attitude with him!! Glad to see #34 in net tonite as well!!

Agreed, but it's important that he doesn't end up in the box very often.  Caps PP is a killer . . .

I expect to see one of them, Komi or Westy, in the lineup tonight against the Kings. The way Dustin Brown likes to hit, we will want someone in there giving him some of his own medicine.

As far as Cam and Khudobin, I still don't think Cam is confident in himself yet. Coming off the injury and his occasional back spasms, there is a chance we will see much more of Khudobin in the net. He is definitely making a case for himself. Cam can get his mojo back but we cannot leave him in net till he does. Tonight against the Kings, Cam may start but I feel Khudobin will come in around the middle of the 2nd to finish.  Whichever one is there, GOOD LUCK!!

GO CANES!

To me it seems like the defense has/play's a much different game in front of Cam than they do when Anton is in net. When Cam is in net it looks like they are much more in front of Cam to try and help him out instead of playing a more aggressive style of hockey like they do when Anton is in net! Sekera & Hainsey have really given the Canes a much different better defense style of play when they are on the ice. Glad we got them! Faulk plays like he has been in the NHL for a lot more years than he has been. Bellemore has definitely earned his way into the NHL and I hope he keep hitting and blocking so many shots! Murphy is obviously still learning but he has really stepped up his game! Nice to see the defense coming together like they are!!

Anyone know what's up with the embellishment calls against the Canes (Gerbe, Semin)?  I could agree with the calls more easily if the opposition wasn't guilty, but in both cases there was a clear foul against us, which the refs did see and call. If this is an area of focus for the refs, are other teams getting whistled similarly? 

Edited by LakeLivin

Lindholm is rounding into form and is going to be an excellent player for us...Tlusty still seems off a bit...what about this for the near future?

Semin J Staal E Staal

Gerbe Lindholm Ruutu

Skinner Nash Tlusty

Dwyer Sutter Dvorak/Bowman/Westy

Thought y'all might be interested in the following excerpt from an ESPN insider article:

____________________________________________________________________________________

NHL Draft Blog
Checking in on the top prospects in.gif October, 10, 2013 By Corey Pronman
The 2013-14 season is underway in the NHL and across many other leagues, and that means there are already several notable prospects turning heads.

With just a two-week sample, it's foolish to come to too many conclusions. However, there are some prospects performing unusually well, taking on a significant amount of responsibility or seeming to improve some portion of their game that was unexpected prior to the start of the campaign.

Here are some of the top prospects based on their play thus far this season, listed with their NHL team.

Andreas Johnson, LW, Toronto Maple Leafs (Frolunda-SHL):

Anthony Mantha, LW, Detroit Red Wings (Val-d'Or-QMJHL):

Tom Nilsson, D, Toronto Maple Leafs (Frolunda-SHL):

Gustav Possler, RW, Buffalo Sabres (MODO-SHL):

Nikolai Prokhorkin, C, Los Angeles Kings (CSKA-KHL):

car.gifSergei Tolchinsky, RW, Carolina Hurricanes (Sault Ste. Marie-OHL):

Tolchinsky is one of the more fascinating prospect stories in recent memory. He was a first-year draft-eligible heading into the 2013 NHL draft in Newark, N.J., and went unselected. Talking to scouts, there were some who felt he was not an NHL prospect at all, and others who thought he was clearly talented enough to be taken in the top three rounds; those in the second group were shocked that he wasn't picked at all.

My opinion falls into the latter camp. After going undrafted, Tolchinsky has an NHL contract from Carolina, impressed everyone at camp and is currently tied for 10th in OHL scoring.

"He's so fun to watch," one scout quipped on Tolchinsky, regarding his dynamic skating ability and offensive skill.

His size will certainly work against him, but in a thin Carolina system, Tolchinsky could prove to be a valuable signing down the line. He also can make plays like he does at the 1:40 mark of this video.

Other prospects off to a hot start

Christopher Clapperton, LW, Florida Panthers (Blainville-Boisbriand-QMJHL):

Peter Cehlarik, C, Boston Bruins (Asplöven-Allsvenskan):

Mattias Janmark-Nylen, C, Detroit Red Wings (AIK-SHL):

Mikael Wikstrand, D, Ottawa Senators (Mora-Allsvenskan):

___________________________________________________________________________________________

SMURF, SMURF, SMURF!!!  :thumbsup:

Edited by LakeLivin

Now that was a good game to watch. Solid action ups and downs close score and a battle to the end. I just want to say that I think Gerbe was an awesome addition, for being how small he is he seems pretty fearless and always seems to be in the right spot at the right time. I hope if the season goes well for him we could lock him up for a longer term. Also I may get alot of Flack for this but I kind of feel like Khudobin is our # 1 guy right now. I think he has alot of potential and if given more time on ice could develop really well. I think we should ride with him in net until he has an off game. On a side note I loved Semin's goal! What a shot. If they played like this every night or at least most nights I would have nothing to *edit* about. Fingers crossed.

There was talk last season of calling more diving. This article has some discussion of it and a great solution I think.

NHL must crack down on diving, flopping and embellishing | Colin Horgan | Sport | theguardian.com

The problem is that this call is too hard to make on the ice most of the time. 

If you follow that link and look at the PK Suban dive, it turns your stomach and says, "something has to keep this non sense out of the game". 

But the problem with the whole thing is that it becomes political and enforcement can become even more disgusting than a true flop. At least the flopper is doing it in the open and can be called for it. What do you do with a "crooked" ref? Promote him apparently, I'll never forget Brad Watson calling two bogus diving calls in Florida the day after the Florida paper wrote a piece about Hurricanes as divers. Noticed Brad called the finals this year. 

That whole article was in response to Claude Julien going on about the Canadiens diving all over the ice and pointing to all of their powerplay time as evidence. But here's the thing. The main reason that teams like the Canadians and Hurricanes draw more penalties is the style of play. Fast. That leads to more penalties from the slower teams trying to slow them down.

So what do you do if your the opposing coach? The coaching equivalent of diving: Whine in the press about it. Complain to the authorities. Then the authorities put the word out to send a message to the diving team. Suddenly we get two bogus diving calls that could have cost us a game.

The thing is that reeks of WWE. There should not be a script where the officials say "OK, tonight we're going to find at least two Hurricane dives". That is corrupt. That diminishes the legitimacy of the league itself. 

That said, if the NHL ever becomes the flopping world of soccer, it will be very hard to take.

Solution: review all diving calls via video. I know we don't want to slow the game down, but this is not a goal so we don't need to spend 20 minutes on it. The video clearly shows PK Suban just plain flopping soccer style. Heck show the video 5x on the jumbo-tron if you want. But get the call right. I players know it will be reviewed and they will be held up for scrutiny. It will keep diving in check and lead to the right call on the ice.

Edited by remkin

So our PP sucks and yet our PK basically shut down one of the best PP units in the NHL last night. You can't have it all. What is everyone's thoughts on our revamped defense?

I think our PP and PK are a direct reflection of 5 on 5 strengths and weaknesses.

Goaltending and defense seem solid in both situations while our offense, still waiting on our top trio to produce, can't get going in either situation.

I think they are getting close and some success either even strength or on the PP might just bring them around in a hurry but in a way I don't see it happening any time soon. The biggest thing that seems missing from last year is Semin's, and in some part Eric's, creativity and ability to open up the ice for the others by drawing more than just one defender. Whether there is still some lingering injury issue or it has something to do with Kirk's system, your guess is as good as mine.

I actually think our top PP unit has looked very good in spots. The second unit not as much. 

As with so many things we have to see the goals to ultimately believe it, but I think it will come around. 

But given our PK and Defense last year and the huge improvements there, and the stated fact that the goal is to improve from the net out over time, and that that is happening, I'll hold PP judgement for a while. 

Fun Fact:

Our PP is currently #19 in the league.

Last year the team that finished with the #19 PP? Chicago.

Our PK is #12, vs #29 last year and we've faced some pretty high talent PP's so far.

So far not really so bad.

I think the PK is the big number. If it can stay in or near the top 10 in the league then that improvement alone should help get us over the hump...Not to mention we already have 4 points out of our back up goalie!!! Some seasons we didn't get 4 points out of the back up for the entire season.

The PP is probably never going to be top 10...but as long as it can hold some where around 15...with a PK near or in the top 10...that would a huge improvement over last year...and should be enough to get in to the playoffs.

Is Ward starting tonight?

Edited by rocheccw

I think it would be too early in the year to switch Cam and Dobby, but I do have to say Dobby is doing everything he can to earn that spot.  Aside from that soft goal last night, he was been very strong in net.  I hope Cam finds some consistency soon, but to copy a quote from a poster a while back "Cam knows why Dobby was brought in."

Still, I think it's too early to panic and make the switch, but if the trend continues...

Also I may get alot of Flack for this but I kind of feel like Khudobin is our # 1 guy right now. I think he has alot of potential and if given more time on ice could develop really well. I think we should ride with him in net until he has an off game.

Lindholm is rounding into form and is going to be an excellent player for us...Tlusty still seems off a bit...what about this for the near future?

Semin J Staal E Staal

Gerbe Lindholm Ruutu

Skinner Nash Tlusty

Dwyer Sutter Dvorak/Bowman/Westy

I myself would like to see E and J together some time in the future. That aside, I think if Lindholm is centering line 2, Skinner will have to be there with him and Ruutu or Gerbe will be on line 3. Skins and Lindholm have already developed some good chemistry it seems.

I myself would like to see E and J together some time in the future. That aside, I think if Lindholm is centering line 2, Skinner will have to be there with him and Ruutu or Gerbe will be on line 3. Skins and Lindholm have already developed some good chemistry it seems.

Skinner Lindholm Ruu and Gerbe Nash Tlusty....That still looks really good to me...rolling those lines shows some serious depth and we'd be hard to deal with.  Even a 4th line with Bowman Sutter and whoever has some jump and punch. 

I know things change year to year but watching J and E together last year was kind of brutal. I think there both too comfortable at center to have chemistry.

Edited by legend-1