The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I think it would be too early in the year to switch Cam and Dobby, but I do have to say Dobby is doing everything he can to earn that spot.  Aside from that soft goal last night, he was been very strong in net.  I hope Cam finds some consistency soon, but to copy a quote from a poster a while back "Cam knows why Dobby was brought in."

Still, I think it's too early to panic and make the switch, but if the trend continues...

This is madness.  Cam plays against Detroit and Pittsburgh and had some of the best saves you will ever see a goalie make in both those games.  They are both playing great.  If you watched those games and actually note who the opponents were it kind of makes this discussion a bit laughable.  

Cam stood on his head for a flurry of shots tied 2-2 with Pens and the defense let him down on the very next face off and the D gave a defeated type effort there after.  I'll play G against the sisters of the poor and let Cam take the top 5 NHL scoring teams and I bet my GAA and record is way better too.

No way should this even be a debate.  Khudobin was not brought in to compete for that job.  Can't we be happy to have two awesome goalies and have 5 pts in four games?  Jeez...

It seems we may have an issue as a fan base dealing with the shock of actually having NHL depth on our team.  Why switch anything? This is what other teams enjoy every season and we seem to be panicking.  The fact that we have 5 pts in 4 games against Detroit, Caps, Pens, Flyers without any the 1st line doing much is great.  You don't lose chemistry with that 1st line for long.  They all had injury's and all are trying to get to speed individually.  Once they do they will be fine.  

This team is in great shape through 4 games.  One at a time boys, one at a time... 

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not anti-Cam or anything.  Yes, Cam has made some great saves and has played well.  The point I was trying to make (and I may not have presented it well) is that Dobby is making the most of his time and could threaten to take the #1 spot down the road.  I believe Dobby was brought in to add goalie depth in the short-term, but I also believe that he was possibly brought in to be groomed as Cam's heir.

I am happy that both are playing well, and I do have to be a bit honest here.  I haven't been able to watch all games in their entirety (parental duties plus I've had to cancel GCL the other day so I will no longer be able to watch the games :( ), so I will concede that I probably don't have the right to say that Cam is inconsistent.  Again, I was only trying to comment on Dobby's great play and I think it may have come out wrong.  I'm hoping that both goalies play well and they inspire each other to play better.

This is madness.  Cam plays against Detroit and Pittsburgh and had some of the best saves you will ever see a goalie make in both those games.  They are both playing great.  If you watched those games and actually note who the opponents were it kind of makes this discussion a bit laughable.  

Cam stood on his head for a flurry of shots tied 2-2 with Pens and the defense let him down on the very next face off and the D gave a defeated type effort there after.  I'll play G against the sisters of the poor and let Cam take the top 5 NHL scoring teams and I bet my GAA and record is way better too.

No way should this even be a debate.  Khudobin was not brought in to compete for that job.  Can't we be happy to have two awesome goalies and have 5 pts in four games?  Jeez...

Was great to be at the game last night.. The Cap fans were really giving the boo's to Semin.. when he scored it was priceless.. all 15 or so Canes fans were heard... Make no mistake Dobby was the man last night as well as the D.. First line still needs something to get them going. There obviously the slower of the lines. Murphy is a rocket and would be a shame to see Gleason come back and take that slot.. Gerbs plays like he is 6.3 and so smart without the puck...

I thought Komi and Westgarth both looked great last night.  It's nice that we can have these guys come in for tough grinding games and their impact is noticeable. 

Edited by TheFaulker

This is madness. Cam plays against Detroit and Pittsburgh and had some of the best saves you will ever see a goalie make in both those games. They are both playing great. If you watched those games and actually note who the opponents were it kind of makes this discussion a bit laughable.

Cam stood on his head for a flurry of shots tied 2-2 with Pens and the defense let him down on the very next face off and the D gave a defeated type effort there after. I'll play G against the sisters of the poor and let Cam take the top 5 NHL scoring teams and I bet my GAA and record is way better too.

No way should this even be a debate. Khudobin was not brought in to compete for that job. Can't we be happy to have two awesome goalies and have 5 pts in four games? Jeez...

It seems we may have an issue as a fan base dealing with the shock of actually having NHL depth on our team. Why switch anything? This is what other teams enjoy every season and we seem to be panicking. The fact that we have 5 pts in 4 games against Detroit, Caps, Pens, Flyers without any the 1st line doing much is great. You don't lose chemistry with that 1st line for long. They all had injury's and all are trying to get to speed individually. Once they do they will be fine.

This team is in great shape through 4 games. One at a time boys, one at a time...

You are making way too much sense to waste it on about half the folks around here. You'll never convince the nay sayers of anything. Their mind is made up and they don't want to be confused by the facts. Edited by super_dave_1

I don't want to post anymore on the great goalie debate because, while it is almost always a legitimate topic, because of that it is always a topic. So I'll put it on this post. The only way Cam is displaced as #1 is if the margin between him and Khudobin is massive in Khudobin's direction, which would necessitate not only Khudobin playing extremely well, but also Cam playing poorly.  Cam is getting the big bucks to be our number one. Khudobin was not brought in to challenge for Cam's job, despite one poster's fantasy. Give me a break. That said, outside of the annoying chirping of the Cam dissenters, Khudobin will push Cam, and that is good. Overall, having two very strong goalies is a fantastic thing, especially w/ 20 back to backs on the schedule.

Komi did look pretty good and very motivated last night. Westy looked very motivated. 

But Bellemore and Murphy are the story to me. Bellemore simply looks like a solid, composed, big, stay at home dman that we have been looking for. (And developed in our system!) (And picked late (how does 6th round grab you)). 

Put Ruutu back (and hopefully Lindholm) and with Gerbe's arrival and Dvorak solid, we have depth up front.

Put Gleason back and with Murphy and Bellemore playing well, we have serious depth on D. 

With Khudobin and Ward both hitting their stride, we have depth in goal.

What's that? One of our pre-island problems was depth?

Last night got me thinking...can someone please post our shootout record starting with the 2011-12 season?  Cause I bet we'd come in DEAD LAST in the NHL...

With all the firepower we've gone and acquired, you'd think we'd be better at winning these types of games.  Alas...

I'll tell you, even here on the Island I can't disagree with that point. Our shootout and 4 on 4 has been a steady bowl of awful for a long time. I completely agree that focus needs to shift to the PP, and 4 on 4 at least. I wonder how much the team practices shootouts. I don't think we really had many last year. 

But 4 on 4 comes up both in OT and during the game, and we need to fix that.

Nash was back on third line at practice, Ruutu skating with the 4th line and Lindholm is among the missing.

Faulk also not at practice according to msmithcanes tweet

chip tweeted a maintenance for Faulk

Faulk may need a few games, lets not rush him back, gives Komi some playing time...

Imagine  a  talent  like  Ruutu on the 4th line,   we can throw  4 lines out there, i think Lindy was brought back  a bit early..

Last night got me thinking...can someone please post our shootout record starting with the 2011-12 season?  Cause I bet we'd come in DEAD LAST in the NHL...

With all the firepower we've gone and acquired, you'd think we'd be better at winning these types of games.  Alas...

Per this website (http://www.sportingcharts.com/stats/nhl/)

2012/13 - 50% (1-1) - 4 way tie for 15th in the league

2011/12 - 14.3% (1-6) - last place

2010/11 - 50% (5-5) - 5 way tie for 11th

2009/10 - 44.4% (4-5) - 19th

Khudobin was not brought in to challenge for Cam's job, despite one poster's fantasy. Give me a break. That said, outside of the annoying chirping of the Cam dissenters, Khudobin will push Cam, and that is good. Overall, having two very strong goalies is a fantastic thing, especially w/ 20 back to backs on the schedule.

Ok I've learned my lesson. Don't even remotely say anything bad about Cam or you'll be labeled in a group you don't belong in. I'm not anti-Cam. I want him to do well. I was trying to comment on Dobby's great play and failed. Im still a noob. I will refrain from giving any kind of analysis because I just don't know. My comments from now on will be of the "good win, bad loss, go canes" variety. I don't know positioning, strategy or anything other than superficial stuff even after 2+ years following.

Hope we win tomorrow. Go canes.

Edited by RNT82

Ok I've learned my lesson. Don't even remotely say anything bad about Cam or you'll be labeled in a group you don't belong in. I'm not anti-Cam. I want him to do well. I was trying to comment on Dobby's great play and failed. Im still a noob. I will refrain from giving any kind of analysis because I just don't know. My comments from now on will be of the "good win, bad loss, go canes" variety. I don't know positioning, strategy or anything other than superficial stuff even after 2+ years following.

Hope we win tomorrow. Go canes.

Cam is a sensitive subject around here no doubt, but don't let it influence how you post. He has his fans and his detractors, and both have valid points. Sometimes thoughts and reactions are polarized but it is what it is. As for me, I'm focused on the now and I'm glad to have both here as a solid one-two punch. Hopefully we can all just enjoy that for now until/if things change.

Hmmmm. Malhotra could be an/the answer to our faceoff woes if everything works out with him. Would love to see him make a comeback. Quality and classy.

Completely agree, would add some good character/experience and a true hard worker. I always like Manny. On Ward/Khudobin, every single year when our backup looks good a giant wave of "I think we have a new starter" splashes ashore, meanwhile as the season goes on Ward's play solidifies and the fans are reminded the backup isn't superhuman.

I don't see the Cam v. Dobby as a negative. There have been lots of great goalie tandems over the years. I find it refreshing  that we don't need to worry so much who is in goal on any given game.

On the whole goalie deal, Muller is playing with house money right now. I see no reason not to keep rotating them for a while and keeping them both fresh. It looks like both are highly capable of winning a game.

I am a bit prickly about the whole goalie thing. It is because there is a fairly constant thread of drumbeat that wants to bring it up all the time. Constantly, no matter who the back up is. For me, at least, it dates back to the infamous Cam is ******* ** ****.  I actually have agreed with that sentiment for a couple of years, but then as Cam's numbers steadily improved and he put up an All Star season (no not JUST because the game was in Raleigh), the detractors couldn't admit any improvement. Got to be quite frustrating.

Now I completely agree that having two excellent goalies is an incredible thing for this team. But instead of rejoicing in our good fortune of two strong goalies, it immediately became: Khudobin is better than Cam, and was brought in to replace him. 

Hey, nothing wrong with making outlandish predictions. According the the learned media, I'm right there with Remkin Island. But if you do, be prepared for some serious dissent. It's part of the deal here. 

Khudobin taking the #1 job from Cam is highly unlikely, but not impossible. But Khudobin being brought in for that reason? 

My take is this: since 2006, we have watched a range of mediocre and worse backups flail away at backing Cam up. It now appears for the first time since then that we have a very capable second goalie. This is great news. This could be incredible. Getting wins from the back up? To me that's the story. No need to push it further. 

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Hmmmm. Malhotra could be an/the answer to our faceoff woes if everything works out with him. Would love to see him make a comeback. Quality and classy.

I noticed his faceoff stats as well.  What keeps me from being extremely optimistic is the limited vision in that one eye.  Not as much with regard to being able to protect himself (I'm sure if he couldn't see a body coming at him he wouldn't be trying to make a comeback).  It's more a matter of the eye-hand coordination required in hockey, especially around the net.  But I'm certainly cheering him on, and hope he can overcome that obstacle.