The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Cam Ward has to be one the most overpaid players in the NHL today. I have not been a Ward basher in the past and might never mention him again. The man has to make a save when the game is on the line. I watched Devan Dubnyk lose the game for Edmonton last night and Ward's performance today was not any better. Everyone in the hockey world is aware that Dubnyk is not a premier NHL goaltender. Where does this comparison leave Ward.

Terrible outing today.  But instead of writing off the season, I'm going to make the bold prediction that this inspires a strong performance against Chicago on Tuesday.  I'll be very happy with a point at this stage of the year, thrilled with two.

The other day I was thinking that our success this season may be predicated more on how we do against some of the weaker teams than against some of the best. If we don't come to play every night, regardless of the opponent, we're in trouble.

Edited by LakeLivin

The power play is what is costing us games. With the amount off PP oportunites we have had so far this year we should of won a few more games. Today it was totally broken. I blame the PP more than our goalie. With the amount of powerplays today we should of been able to win with Tripp in the net....no maybe not :dizzy:

Usually I am a supporter of Cam but today was brutal. The goal to open the 3rd was a must save and not a hard one; same goes for Doan's. Cam just didn't have the explosiveness...he played so well on Fri so I can't see how there is an injury excuse. The 5 on 3 was beyond brutal...looked like we never practiced it. Those 2 misses by Cam really cost us though.

The power play is what is costing us games. With the amount off PP oportunites we have had so far this year we should of won a few more games. Today it was totally broken. I blame the PP more than our goalie. With the amount of powerplays today we should of been able to win with Tripp in the net....no maybe not :dizzy:

PPs start with the face off.

Uh oh, another trouble spot so far this year.

Not saying that is the only thing, but it starts there.  Brindy!  Can you work some magic?  Or are these guys just not strong enough?

I am a bit prickly about the whole goalie thing. It is because there is a fairly constant thread of drumbeat that wants to bring it up all the time. Constantly, no matter who the back up is. For me, at least, it dates back to the infamous Cam is ******* ** ****.  I actually have agreed with that sentiment for a couple of years, but then as Cam's numbers steadily improved and he put up an All Star season (no not JUST because the game was in Raleigh), the detractors couldn't admit any improvement. Got to be quite frustrating.

This is about how I feel about it.  IMO, Cam was given a much bigger contract due simply to his playoff run in 06.  He also had one heck of a run in 09 that goes completely forgotten by many.  Do these two runs excuse everything?  Of course not.  The argument is on the "elite" status.  Cam is certainly getting "elite" money, and that is where the argument comes in.  Would JR like to have some of that money back?  Of course, but I bet he'd like to have some of Ruutu's, Gleason's, or Jussi's money back too about now.  The thing is, there is only one goalie on the ice, and he gets too much credit for a win and too much blame for a loss.

Where I get frustrated with the Cam bashers is their inability or refusal to even recognize the fact that the Canes have been among the league leaders in shots against for several years.  They refuse to acknowledge that he has been ridden into the ground time and time again.  To them, these are excuses.  In reality, they are stats or numbers which, as they say, do not lie.  Shots against is a stat.  TOI is a stat.  The anti-Cam bunch does manage to find fault in all he does, even when he is not playing.

It is great that the Muller has the luxury of 2 goalies (well, until today).  I was hoping that we would see a good run of the 2 rotating and having them both sharp and rested.   Who knows what is up now that Khudo is hurt.  I certainly don't want to see Peters on a regular basis.

You know i read these boards almost every day, i dont post very often and i want to think it has been maybe a year since my last post. but i am going to throw in my two cents. We are only 6 games into the season and we have 6 points.. some of you guys act like we might as well just give up now and it is kind of frustrating.. the season is barely 3 weeks old i think everyone needs to step back and take a breath and just see what happens, yes i know its frustrating to see the canes lose it is frustrating to see them miss the playoffs but you know some of the negative attitudes around here make some of you guys sound just as bad as all the actual sports writers who have written the canes off..i have been a canes fan since they moved to NC and ill be the first to admit that there is a lot i dont know about hockey but what i do know is i love the sport and i am proud that we have a team in north carolina and i am proud to be a fan of the only professional team in north carolina to bring home a championship.. with that said i love the canes win or lose playoffs or not and i will always be a fan..

We aren't doomed by any means, but we could easily become doomed if the problematic areas of our game do not improve quickly. Faceoffs are horrendous, which plays a part in our terrible powerplay. Our first line can barely make a simple tape to tape pass, let alone score a goal. Our arguably biggest off-season acquisition just got injured and totally ruins any goaltending depth we may have had. And somehow, we still cannot play a full 60+ minute game consistently. 

Now those are the darker areas. Believe it or not, there's bright areas too. Our PK is pretty inspiring so far, our secondary scoring actually exists. We can roll 4 steady lines for the first time in a few years now. We actually have a defense capable of playing defense, not to mention we have defensive depth as well. Skinner is back to being Calder Skinner (though in my opinion he never wasn't, he was just going through development) and Gerbe is amazing.

For the sake of argument, we could still pull through and have a successful season (making the playoffs) this year if we change two or more of those dark spots into bright spots. It's not easy, but not impossible. And of course, small sample size. But so far, the team keeps finding a way to discourage a lot of fans. Personally, I just want us to be able to play the entire game at full pace, 110% effort. 

Gotta put it behind you, yes, but you can't simply bury your head in the sand and pretend the game never happened. We need to realize our weaknesses and make them strengths. 

EDIT: And I'm going to add this. You're a professional athlete, playing hockey is your job. You should come to every game ready to go and play your hardest from the first puck drop to the final horn. If you can't, then you're not doing your job right.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I agree with analysis about current issues. I do not agree with all of the handwringing over one bad game. They happen to every team. Is this team so on it's game that it can win despite it? Well we were almost doing it yesterday. Despite having a seriously off game, we answered three straight goals before Khudoben went down. But no, we are not the Blackawks or Pittsburgh. If we have one of those nights we're going to lose.

But unless they become more frequent, last night's game actually is worth just writing off. Again, the legit issues, PP, 4 on 4, getting the first line going, those are there despite last night and need to be fixed. But basing anything off of just last night? The term smallest of small sample sizes comes to mind.

Yes they are professionals paid to play, it's not like they refused to take the ice. But it just wasn't there. Again, if it happens more than here and there, we have a problem. But we'll see other teams fail to show up against us too. It happens multiple times to all teams.

I know it may sound like excuse making, but it is true.

If they come out flat vs. the champs....the island will take note.

Edited by remkin

This may be an irrelevant question now but: if Dobby played well for us this year and took us into the playoffs, would the Canes trade Ward?

Well they'd better re-sign Khudobin first.

Some time last year Forslund who is always talking to GM's and coaches around the league said that at least 20 teams would trade their number one goalie for Cam straight up in a heartbeat.

Then, when we got that new guy, we could all call for his head until we got another new guy.

And I have to say, so far this season we are getting the kind of performance te rest of the league has expected from us. Not terrible, but falling short on a regular basis. AKA like most seasons. I would hope we either make the playoffs or fail miserably and get a top draft pick. Tired of missing the playoffs and missing out on elite picks (I know skinner and Lindholm are good but still).

How many more seasons do we have to give up before big changes are made? Yes I know its early but points are points!  IMO, maybe the Canes have about 1 1/2 lines to build off of and we have some big name players that are no where close to earning their paychecks!! Mullers statement about players being "accountable" for their play, doesn't look like to many of them are!! So what happens now!

As has been pointed out we have 6 points in 6 games. That isn't awful at the beginning of a season. We won't win every game. Having said that we are beginning to see some of the weakness in the team. Mostly inconsistency. The team, to me, seems much improved over last season.

I don't see a killer instinct yet in this team. I hope we develop one soon.

I'm still on a raft near Remkin Island. We are much improved over last year and hopefully we will continue getting better as the season goes on. I hate that we lost Dobby. I'm hoping it's not too serious.

Eric,Semin, and Jordan are the biggest concerns to me.  All 3 are constantly turning the puck over and making horrible passes, wiffing on shots.  I believe they will all come around soon and than we will roll with some winning streaks.  Defense is doing there job, 3rd and 4th line is doing there job.  come on big money players, its time to win some games and score some PP goals.  Still feeling good about this team and I won't panic until mid november.  If we can stay at .500 or slighltly above til than, than I think we will do well the second half of the season when the players really know one another and develop chemistry. We need 80pts from eric, 70points from Semin and 60points from Jordan.  Right now only Skinner is earning his big money.

tweets:

GM Jim Rutherford says Khudobin will go on IR but may be out short term. Called injury "best-case scenario." Peters to be recalled.

Still being called a "lower-body" injury but was told it is not a knee or ankle.

So what's left, pulled muscle? (groin, hamstring, quad?)  I'd hope for severe cramping, but IR rules that out. It sure looked bad when he went off.

Edited by LakeLivin

I'd like to postulate a question to the group related to Khudobin's injury. I've read reports that he might have caught a rut with his skate? This being true, and coupled with other comments that ice conditions have been much less than ideal, could this factor into some of the problems this team has been suffering so far?

Of course, I realize that the "stock answer" is that both teams have to play on the same sheet of ice, but it seems to me that crappy ice would tend to be more problematic for quick skating or more skilled teams than those that are grinders.

What I have a real problem with is how any owner/GM would not want his highly paid legion to risk injury by not having the best ice tender that money can buy. Since the death of our last dedicated ice maker, renowned for his expertise(and i can't recall his name at present), I have read little bits and pieces that the ice conditions have not been the same.

To me these professional players that are under contract should not be able to play in the Olympics or for their Country in any tourney! If they choose too then when they are not 100% when their JOB/season starts they should not be playing and or receiving 100% of their pay! Being in the NHL is/should be their most important JOB. Now don't get me wrong about the Olympics of national Tourney's but those need to go back to amateur players not pro's!

Why I am  saying this is because E.Staal gets hurt( last/earlier this yr) and  the Canes have to suffer until he is 100% -- & still he is making Millions! 

I'd like to postulate a question to the group related to Khudobin's injury. I've read reports that he might have caught a rut with his skate? This being true, and coupled with other comments that ice conditions have been much less than ideal, could this factor into some of the problems this team has been suffering so far?

Of course, I realize that the "stock answer" is that both teams have to play on the same sheet of ice, but it seems to me that crappy ice would tend to be more problematic for quick skating or more skilled teams than those that are grinders.

What I have a real problem with is how any owner/GM would not want his highly paid legion to risk injury by not having the best ice tender that money can buy. Since the death of our last dedicated ice maker, renowned for his expertise(and i can't recall his name at present), I have read little bits and pieces that the ice conditions have not been the same.

Wouldn't surprise a bit that he hit a rut because the ice was awful.  Skaters from both teams were struggling with it, the puck was bouncing everywhere and it was obvious players were having a ton of trouble settling the puck down on their sticks.  At one point the ref (or linesman) actually took Smith's water bottle and poured it on the ice to help fill in a big rut in front of the goal.

Why the Phoenix players had more success adjusting to it more than our players did I couldn't tell you, but it was definitely a problem all game.  The player that jumped out to me as having a lot of trouble with it was Ryan Murphy.  He was having trouble getting pucks to settle before making passes and it looked like he was bobbling pucks when they passed to him.  At first I attributed it to his youth and lack of NHL experience but I'm willing to bet most of his struggles came from the sloppy ice.

I think Washington had the same issue a couple of years back.  Not sure how they resolved it but I do remember reading that OV complained that it wasn't safe.  I'm willing to bet that made their owner do something about it.

Well, we did lose our ice guy a couple seasons ago.

No team plays perfect for 60 minutes. That is how teams score goals! If every team played a perfect game, every game would be BORING! And the scores would be 1-0 (at best) and settled in OT or a shootout. You find a small window, and you exploit it for that few seconds where you have an advantage. On the other side, you try to minimize those small windows to small pockets through out the game. Friday night's game was about as close to a perfect game the Canes played in a very long time. Face-offs for me was probably the main negative.

I'm been around the Canes forum (and hockey) for a long time and goaltenders are always singled out. From Kidd, to Irbe to Weekes, etc.... They are hockey's version of the Quarterback. When the team wins, it was because the goaltender stood on his head. When they lose, it is because the goaltender looked like a seal flopping on the ice. People rarely mention the guys in front of him are clearing the crease so the puck looks like a beach ball, or laying out to block shots so he doesn't face 40+ shots a night. It takes a person with a couple screws missing to want to stand in a net for 60 minutes and be shot at by a frozen piece of vulcanized rubber. He is the only player who is out there the whole 60 minutes. Its not like the bench calls for a goalie change, like a line change, and swap netminders out so one can take a breather.

I'm not ready to jump off the cliff. It is only game 6 and if you look at the rest of the Metro Division, no one is really tearing it up and running away with it. So far, this division is really up for grabs, especially the #2 and #3 spots for the playoffs.

Pittsburgh (4-1-0): They were figured to be the winner of the Metro. Top to bottom, their solid and it looks like Fleury has regained his confidence.

Carolina (2-2-2): We've picked up points in 4 out of 6 games. IMO we HAD one of the better goaltending tandems in the league, but with Khudobin out, Ward will have to shoulder the load again. The main difference that doesn't have me too worried is our all around team defense has been better. Outside of Sunday's game, they have competed and defense has been better.

New York Islanders (2-2-1): This is a team the has finally found a reliable goalie and have found their identity behind Tavares.

Columbus (2-2-0): Coming from the Central division, they have also found their identity.

New Jersey (0-3-3): This was a surprise to me. With the addition of Schneider, I thought they would a little more competitive. But they have no goal scorers.

Washington (1-4-0): They are really inconsistent this season. In four games, they've given up 3 or more goals and they barely beat the Flames in a shoot out.

New York Rangers (1-4-0): They are a real mess. They aren't scoring and can't seem to keep the puck out of the net. They are a LEAGUE worse -16 in goal diff.

Philadelphia (1-5-0): Fired Laviolette and McCarthy, but that hasn't helped. Still looks like they have a mess in between the pipes.

Edited by hopper915

Thanks, TSA, I wondered all afternoon why our passing was just horrific, but that explains it. Curious tho why Cayotes seemed to be much better with their passes?

What my primary point was tho, was why our owner/GM doesn't secure better ice conditions for this team to play on? I mean, my goodness since we play 41 games on this slop, wouldn't you think that management would endevor to give our players "home ice advantage"? From what I understand, other arenas have "lively boards" that I assume does provide their players,who practice on it, some type of advantage. I just can't see how this seemingly "critical" detail gets overlooked?