The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I really think it is much to early to figure out what this team is capable of.  Normally you need about 20 games to find out if the team you dress is the team you will finish with. Even then most early moves are made in November or December. A few years ago when we went out to get bigger and stronger and ended up becoming older and slower was an exception. Many of us knew after 6 games that team wasn't going to cut it. I don't get that feeling with this team.

It isn't that I don't see the concerns but I can't yet see if those concerns won't right themselves in a few more games. Pass the BBQ and the Beer so I can sit back and watch this team develop or not.

Really fair points being brought up. Look, even here on the Island we realize that nothing is a given. Look at the NYR. Pretty sure some put them as clearly better than us. Maybe they turn it around, who knows. Anyone here predict Colorado being 5-0 and plus 14 after 5 games? 

The theme of this year (outside of the Island of course) is small sample size. 

So far this team has been a bit up, down, and average. 6 games in against a pretty good line up of teams. 

An unbiased observer would have to say "too soon to tell". 

Vs Detroit: solid, 17 seconds from 2 points.

Vs Philly: solid, beat a down team, but one we've had trouble beating

Vs Pitts: tale of three periods. With one very very solid, and two not so much

Vs Was: big win. solid.

Vs LA: very gutsy effort back to back vs rested elite team.

Vs Phoenix: not good. Disjointed, lost battles, bad ice or not, just really a B game at best.

We sit in second place in the supposedly mighty Metropolitan division. 

The real question is this. Are we seeing the final product on the ice now? Is this as good as it gets? 

Truth is, even out here on the Island, we don't know the future. But for all of the reasons I wrote in my insanely long thread, I still think the pieces will come together enough for some nice runs. I just can't believe the first line will not find more mojo, and I know that Ruutu will find his legs and game and contribute. I know our defense, while maybe not the best in the NHL is very much improved. 

I've seen stretches of what we can do on the upside and the downside in these 6 games. I'm betting we build on seeing more of the upside as time goes on. I will say this. Our schedule looks simply brutal. I will give the naysayers that. 

Every team we play for the NEXT 6 games has a winning or even record, and the first one that isn't is the NYR in NY on the back end of a back to back. Then we have a home game vs Philly then 8 more wining teams including powerhouses: Boston (twice), St Louis, Detroit...

So I will agree that this team will not get there w/ mediocrity. Just too many good teams to play night in and night out. Right now we are seeing inconsistency and some degree of mediocrity. If the team is peaking, this is not good enough. But we here on the Island do not think we have seen the best this team can offer yet.

All I can say is that if we're miring in the middle by January, it may be time to start discussing coaching changes/compliance buyouts.

Since there's not yet a GDT.

Blackhawks have 65 shots in each of first, second periods. Outshooting opponents 130-81 in those 2 periods.

Cam better be back on his game.

Canes 3-21 on PP at home, 1-7 on road. A consistent 14.3 percent either way you look at it.

True BUT: Stunningly the Blackhawks have the worst PK in the league allow goals almost every third PP.

And, as bad as we are, there are 7 teams worse.

One would think that an uptick in our PP numbers would go a long way to pulling this one out.

GDT is up, can you repost over there?

I really think it is much to early to figure out what this team is capable of.  Normally you need about 20 games to find out if the team you dress is the team you will finish with. Even then most early moves are made in November or December. A few years ago when we went out to get bigger and stronger and ended up becoming older and slower was an exception. Many of us knew after 6 games that team wasn't going to cut it. I don't get that feeling with this team.

It isn't that I don't see the concerns but I can't yet see if those concerns won't right themselves in a few more games. Pass the BBQ and the Beer so I can sit back and watch this team develop or not.

I know, and I said earlier that I am sure Muller will have this team firing on cylinders in a week or two. The team took awhile to gel last season, and when they gelled they really gelled. Just like Tlusty took 10 games to score a goal last season, and when he did he started scoring on a ridiculous pace. There's no guarantees that these things will happen again, but I like to think they will. We have a much better defense, and we had an amazing goaltending tandem. I hope Khudobin comes back soon.

The thing that I was pointing out, and that many others are genuinely concerned about, is that we're seeing the same problems that doomed us last year, but this time with a healthy Ward, an NHL defense, and a productive and effective bottom six. And Kirk got his training camp. Yet we still have a pretty lame powerplay, our faceoff percentage I don't think has been worse in a long time, and we have trouble playing an entire game (which is the most concerning to me). I'm just saying, it's not too hard for me to understand those that are either fed up with the team or want changes already this early.

Mid-November, if these issues are still apparent, I'll really be worried about this team. And not only this season making the playoffs, but long term. I don't want to see this franchise move. You can't think investors will be happy, nor Karmanos, spending this much money to still miss the playoffs.

But like I started this post with, I'm still confident that Muller and his staff will be able to get these guys to play better than we've ever seen them. Semin hasn't shown any of the creativity and dominance in the offensive zone as he did last year. Eric and Jordan are really concerning me most. Eric makes a good play or two a night, but also makes about 3 or 4 bad plays for every good play. He makes bad, errant passes. Passes when he should shoot. Passes to the guy covered by two defenders instead of the guy behind the play wide open. Taking bad penalties. Jordan is playing great defensively for the most part, but the only good chances he has offensively rely on his linemate making a good play and feeding him the puck. 

This can't continue, and Muller has to be able to fix it. I think Tlusty is about to find his game, Semin and Staal may find theirs tonight with Ruutu. Jordan doesn't really need to fix anything because his linemates, namely Gerbe, can carry the line offensively. Ward needs to win a game. I think it's hard to believe he's not won one in almost 4 games. Cautiously optimistic here.

I understand. I just think that, and not from members of this forum, but many fans are content with just going to games, getting drunk, eating BBQ, and going home. It's apparent that fans on this site want more, and should demand more, from the team.

I don't think it is really true that a lot of fans are satisfied. I think most are frustrated. I also think that when you look at the opinions posted by the 20 or so regular posters here, you don't really get a view of what the average fan thinks. We, are the superfans. It doesn't make us better fans, but we are the ones that are so obsessed with the Canes that we are willing to follow and fret over the minutia that the vast majority of fans just ignore. We are the ones that are useless at work on free agent frenzy day. The average fan could care less.

The Canes have been here for 16 years and have made 3 Eastern Conference Finals, 2 Stanley Cup Finals, and hoisted The Cup on home ice. That is a record that a lot of teams in the league would kill to have. This is also a team that goes long stretches with no playoffs and kill any momentum they have in building a fan base. I don't think the successes are a reason to celebrate forever, and I've been very critical of the organization in general with it's inability to identify talent and develop it. I have been critical of JR and his comfort level with bringing the same people back again and again. I have been critical of the "country club" mentality or comfort level that the players and team seem to have here. I think that at times, perceived fan favorites have been kept too long when they should have moved on.

Just because most here don't agree with the anti-Cam, anti-JStaal, anti-EStaal, etc. group, it doesn't mean that we are happy with the current product. Maybe it is that we choose to look more at the big picture and feel that the problem can't be as simple as replacing an individual player or two.

Edited by super_dave_1

I don't think it is really true that a lot of fans are satisfied.  I think most are frustrated.  I also think that when you look at the opinions posted by the 20 or so regular posters here, you don't really get a view of what the average fan thinks.  We, are the superfans.  It doesn't make us better fans, be we are the ones that are so obsessed with the Canes that we are willing to follow and fret over the minutia that the vast majority of fans just ignore.  We are the ones that are useless at work on free agent frenzy day.   The average fan could care less.

The Canes have been here for 16 years and have made 3 Eastern Conference Finals, 2 Stanley Cup Finals, and hoisted The Cup on home ice.  That is a record that a lot of teams in the league would kill to have.  This is also a team that goes long stretches with no playoffs and kill any momentum they have in building a fan base.  I don't think the successes are a reason to celebrate forever, and I've been very critical of the organization in general with it's inability to identify talent and develop it.  I have been critical of JR and his comfort level with bringing the same people back again and again.  I have been critical of the "country club" mentality or comfort level that the players and team seem to have here.  I think that at times, perceived fan favorites have been kept too long when they should have moved on. 

Just because most here don't agree with the anti-Cam, anti-JStaal, anti-EStaal, etc. group, it doesn't mean that we are happy with the current product.  Maybe it is that we choose to look more at the big picture and feel that the problem can't be as simple as replacing an individual player or two.

Eloquently put, super!!1

I don't know. I have defended Ward for 4 years now. There comes a point where a goalie has to be held accountable for his play. I am so disappointed that k-dub went down because I literally have zero confidence in Ward right now. Every night he lets in 2 soft goals and rarely ever makes a game breaking save when we need it most. I hope I eat my words but if Ward has another terrible season this year JR needs to contemplate either trading him or buying him out. His play and his contract is really starting to take its toll on this team.

I don't think it is really true that a lot of fans are satisfied. I think most are frustrated. I also think that when you look at the opinions posted by the 20 or so regular posters here, you don't really get a view of what the average fan thinks. We, are the superfans. It doesn't make us better fans, but we are the ones that are so obsessed with the Canes that we are willing to follow and fret over the minutia that the vast majority of fans just ignore. We are the ones that are useless at work on free agent frenzy day. The average fan could care less.

The Canes have been here for 16 years and have made 3 Eastern Conference Finals, 2 Stanley Cup Finals, and hoisted The Cup on home ice. That is a record that a lot of teams in the league would kill to have. This is also a team that goes long stretches with no playoffs and kill any momentum they have in building a fan base. I don't think the successes are a reason to celebrate forever, and I've been very critical of the organization in general with it's inability to identify talent and develop it. I have been critical of JR and his comfort level with bringing the same people back again and again. I have been critical of the "country club" mentality or comfort level that the players and team seem to have here. I think that at times, perceived fan favorites have been kept too long when they should have moved on.

Just because most here don't agree with the anti-Cam, anti-JStaal, anti-EStaal, etc. group, it doesn't mean that we are happy with the current product. Maybe it is that we choose to look more at the big picture and feel that the problem can't be as simple as replacing an individual player or two.

I'm pretty sure most people here are looking at the big picture, including those pessimistic fans. I don't know what section you sit in, but the people around me seem to simply have grown used to being let down to the point where they simply don't care about the outcome of the season, they expect the bad outcome. I see a sense of complacency. It's obvious a huge chunk of fans who go to games are the kind who have two sets of jerseys in their closet. A jersey of a team they pull for besides the 'Canes, usually Rags, Flyers, Isles, Caps, Pitt, etc. and then their 'Canes jersey, which they wear when their other team isn't in town. Personally I hate it, I want a fanbase of Hurricanes fans, not fringe Hurricanes fans who bought a jersey after we won the cup then saw us play nowhere near as good and went back to their old team.

I agree our record is something to be damn proud of, but then as you said we cannot sustain the winning mentality season to season. I think the biggest mistakes the organization made was letting our leaders go after we won the cup. Letting Recchi and Weight among others leave. He should have aggressively tried to keep them in my opinion. I hear Recchi had a contract ready but his wife didn't like NC, but who knows if that really happened. And yes, some recycles are just ridiculous. I'm worried about the organization. If we spend this much money, playoffs should be guaranteed. If we fail to make the playoffs spending this much money, someone is going to be in trouble. I don't think the organization is going anywhere anytime soon, unless we somehow can't make the playoffs for another two or three years.

Also, can we please stop making snide comments towards some of our other members, namely Greg. He is opinionated, yes, but so are all of us. He may not portray his opinions too effectively, but if you don't like what he says or thinks, just ignore him. I've seen a lot of mean comments towards him, and while I don't always agree with him, I think it's immature to make those comments.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

When is having an opposing opinion "making a snide comment"?

Sometimes on a message board, what goes around comes around.  Let's not try to play the poor victim card here.

:kleenex:

Edited by coastal_caniac

Sometimes on a message board, what goes around comes around.  Let's not try to play the poor victim card here.

Yep.

The internet is a dangerous place for the thin skinned.  Don't be abrasive if you can't take the return heat.

Terrible outing today.  But instead of writing off the season, I'm going to make the bold prediction that this inspires a strong performance against Chicago on Tuesday.  I'll be very happy with a point at this stage of the year, thrilled with two.

:patself:

Edited by LakeLivin

When is having an opposing opinion "making a snide comment"?

When did I say having an opposing opinion is making a snide comment? When I said making a snide comment I meant making a snide comment, which several of you have done in response to an innocent post by Greg. But whatever, Greg doesn't need me to defend him and none of this is really Regular Season talk so let's just move on.  :bag:

Edited by SuckaPunchd

For what it is worth;

Combined Record of teams we lost to in regulation:

9-3-1

Combined record of teams we beat in regulation:

3-10-0

Combined record of teams we lost to in overtime/shoot-out:

13-6-1

Part of me is pleased with being .500 after facing such tough competition, part of me says you have to beat the good teams to be a good team.

Seriously, what do we have to sacrifice to the hockey gods to have a shootout victory?

I think we need to send out the least likely to score players...roll with Westgarth, Harrison, & Bellemore!!! Can't be any worse...dress Westgarth just to be in the shootout.

Last night Gerbe...shot on crest...Semin...lost the puck(no shot)...Skinner...shot on crest...not one deke! Crawford barely had to move.

Edited by rocheccw

I will say this. A few shootout wins is good for say 3 points. It is amazing how many teams make or miss the playoffs by a few points each year. I wonder how much we practice this and how much other teams do.

On the general satisfaction/dissatisfaction issue, this year will be pivotal. I understand the dissatisfaction of not seeing one of the best spectacles in sports: NHL playoff hockey, for a while. I'm right there with people on that.

But in the last 2 years, PK and JR HAVE made moves. Have spent money. All trying to put a winner out there. Semin and J.Staal were not moves of a complacent owner/GM. This offseason there were NO big time dmen FA's out there. Hainsey was probably as good as any of them. JR got Sekera, and Komi (jury still out on that one), but also developed Bellemore and picked Murphy. Also went out and got everyone's favorites: Gerbe and Khudobin. Also picked Skinner who is looking pretty darned good (on the third line I might add). 

I guess we'll see if Ward is what some of us think, or if he's what some others of us think, but he at least has the potential to be very very good. 

Muller? Well who would want Mo right now? Anyone? Anyone? It took a while, but we did make that move also. '

A collection of moves have been made. Some great, some good, some not ideal. But solid, confident moves have been made. We are no longer in the age of El Cheapo. A serious effort has been made to put a strong team on the ice in front of a good coach. I think this has been missed by many in the national media.

We'll see if it all comes together or not. You all know how we feel out here on the Island.

Edited by remkin