The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I know it's somewhat stating the obvious but the PP is what's holding this team back.  We have to take advantage of those opportunities.  We had a PP late in the 3rd and in OT and couldn't capitalize either time.  Yeah, the first line needs to step up a little and yes, Ward has been a little shaky. But the PP is the biggest concern right now. 

Edited by TheFaulker

I agree that the PP is an issue. Goals for is also a related issue. But, while I'd love for us to excel at all aspects of the game (and if so joining the elite clubs), I'm ok right now with where we are at on these issues. 

Don't get me wrong. We have a history of PP woes, and I am not assuming that will fix itself, but we are improved in the areas we set out to improve early.

The stated plan this year was to tighten up the defensive end (including PK), and get some secondary scoring. This has happened.

Our PK ranks #11 (28 last year) and our goals against: #16 (29 last year). This despite playing some powerhouse teams and sporting a brand new defense (only 2 of the 6 dmen now playing were "starters" on this defense last year) that by all means should need some time to gel. And we are getting secondary scoring. 

So, start the season with the idea that above all we must learn a better defensive game and gel our defense, then improve the offense. In that sense we are on track. 

The last piece is goals for. And we need to get that going, we are #26. A better PP would help as would a more dominant top line. 

But I'd just point out that if our PP and offensive game arrive w/out losing the defensive game...we will be pretty darned good.

I know it's somewhat stating the obvious but the PP is what's holding this team back.  We have to take advantage of those opportunities.  We had a PP late in the 3rd and in OT and couldn't capitalize either time.  Yeah, the first line needs to step up a little and yes, Ward has been a little shaky. But the PP is the biggest concern right now. 

:thumbsup2:

When is having an opposing opinion "making a snide comment"?

I've got a return question for you:  you couldn't find Ron White a job within the organization?

I enjoy your different Cane "employees". Have you thought of archiving and displaying them on your home page?  Perhaps taking a screen shot of each and posting them on the Gallery page might work?

I will say this. A few shootout wins is good for say 3 points. It is amazing how many teams make or miss the playoffs by a few points each year. I wonder how much we practice this and how much other teams do.

On the general satisfaction/dissatisfaction issue, this year will be pivotal. I understand the dissatisfaction of not seeing one of the best spectacles in sports: NHL playoff hockey, for a while. I'm right there with people on that.

But in the last 2 years, PK and JR HAVE made moves. Have spent money. All trying to put a winner out there. Semin and J.Staal were not moves of a complacent owner/GM. This offseason there were NO big time dmen FA's out there. Hainsey was probably as good as any of them. JR got Sekera, and Komi (jury still out on that one), but also developed Bellemore and picked Murphy. Also went out and got everyone's favorites: Gerbe and Khudobin. Also picked Skinner who is looking pretty darned good (on the third line I might add). 

I guess we'll see if Ward is what some of us think, or if he's what some others of us think, but he at least has the potential to be very very good. 

Muller? Well who would want Mo right now? Anyone? Anyone? It took a while, but we did make that move also. '

A collection of moves have been made. Some great, some good, some not ideal. But solid, confident moves have been made. We are no longer in the age of El Cheapo. A serious effort has been made to put a strong team on the ice in front of a good coach. I think this has been missed by many in the national media.

We'll see if it all comes together or not. You all know how we feel out here on the Island.

After 7+ seasons and 40+ million I would have thought Ward would be more than "having potential".

Just hired him

HA! I was just out cutting the lawn and the idea of Food Services Manager came to me.  But I like the more specific "beverage" idea better, although it does mean that cigars won't make it onto the PNC menu.

Seriously what do we have to do to just pull one out in OT or the shootout?  I was listening to The Point on XM w/Boomer and he noted our pathetic stat of 23 OT games with only 6 OT wins.  Ugly.  The hockey gods need a sacrifice.

Seriously, what do we have to sacrifice to the hockey gods to have a shootout victory?

Seriously what do we have to do to just pull one out in OT or the shootout?  I was listening to The Point on XM w/Boomer and he noted our pathetic stat of 23 OT games with only 6 OT wins.  Ugly.  The hockey gods need a sacrifice.

Until a long term fix is found, given how bad we've been in shootouts, I wouldn't mind the coach using 4 forwards in the last minute or two of the overtime period to sort of create the feeling of desperation to score, like when the goalie is pulled in regulation.

Someone needs to get their stats right? flakcatcher over on Canes Country is quoting 6 wins in 29 games?? Either is unacceptable, but would like to know which is correct..

I did not double check.  I heard it at lunch driving today and then have been into the beer.  My bad, but usually I am like Rain Man with numbers so didn't go back to verify.  Sorry, I trusted my memory but today has been long with my 3 hr work commute plus a full 9 hr work day. 

Someone needs to get their stats right? flakcatcher over on Canes Country is quoting 6 wins in 29 games?? Either is unacceptable, but would like to know which is correct..

Sorry, I trusted my memory but today has been long with my 3 hr work commute plus a full 9 hr work day. 

And beer.  :cheers:  which may cloud the numbers.

But seriously, 6 out of 26 or 29.  Doesn't matter.  It just stinks.  It is costing playoff chances.

And last night it hurt that they couldn't score on the 4 on 3.  Another bummer.

How is my comment on your comment about Ward beating a dead horse?

The Cam Ward Zombie Attack Force strikes again.  You know who your are.

I'd rather be using this: AGCHV

But, the zombie attack  forces another choice:  CUTCWZAF

I snub you.

Edited by coastal_caniac

How is my comment on your comment about Ward beating a dead horse?

Well it kind of goes without saying, but since I'm swearing off the Cam baiting debate until Nov 30, I'll just say this.

There is a joke that people who went to Harvard have a tendency to try to work that fact into every conversation. "Oh, you're going to lunch? Well we used to go to lunch when I was at Harvard."

Those fixated on Cam are the same way. A long post has one line about Cam and BAM! What? Something good about Ward? 

Look, for me at least I'm ready to say that if Cam struggles this year behind an improved defense, you may be right. 

The problem is, unless he wins the Vezna, the Cup, and the Con Smyth (again), I doubt it would be good enough for some to admit it.

Anyway, I'll tune back into the goalie debate Nov 30 (see post 397 on the goalie thread). 25 games in we'll have a good sample. 

Edited by remkin

Think the Cam hate is bad now? Just wait 'til we play the Leafs and Avs. If we win one or two of those games, I think it dies down a little. But more realistically, If we lose both, it'll reach new heights. I'm hoping for a surprise, a great road trip, and the team coming together all-round. I just hope those faceoff percentages we saw vs Chicago continue.

Well it kind of goes without saying, but since I'm swearing off the Cam baiting debate until Nov 30, I'll just say this.

There is a joke that people who went to Harvard have a tendency to try to work that fact into every conversation. "Oh, you're going to lunch? Well we used to go to lunch when I was at Harvard."

Those fixated on Cam are the same way. A long post has one line about Cam and BAM! What? Something good about Ward? 

Look, for me at least I'm ready to say that if Cam struggles this year behind an improved defense, you may be right. 

The problem is, unless he wins the Vezna, the Cup, and the Con Smyth (again), I doubt it would be good enough for some to admit it.

Anyway, I'll tune back into the goalie debate Nov 30 (see post 397 on the goalie thread). 25 games in we'll have a good sample. 

Just thinking that other players with potential don't get 7 seasons to prove themselves. And to the others, it's not hate, just tired of waiting for the Canes to live up to hype/expectations.

Edited by winger52

The Cam Ward Zombie Attack Force strikes again.  You know who your are.

I'd rather be using this: AGCHV

But, the zombie attack  forces another choice:  CUTCWZAF

I snub you.

Ward is 0 for 5 in his last 5 starts. That is unacceptable for a 6.7m/year goalie.

Ward is 0 for 5 in his last 5 starts. That is unacceptable for a 6.7m/year goalie.

Like I said, from here out, I snub all the CWZAF. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

What salary do you think is acceptable for an 0 for 5 goalie?

Khudobin is 2 and 0 this year, so JR should back up the Brinks truck.

:deadhorse: .

You're not just beating a dead horse but you're beating a dead work horse. Cam has played more minutes than any goalie in the league in recent years. Aside from his injuries he has played night in and night out seeing more shots than any goalie in the league. 

Bluedevil58 In Cam's last 5 starts he has 4 losses and a Shutout through half the game last year before getting injured vs the Panthers. The guy has 3 OT losses against 3 recent Cup champions including 2 SO losses to the past 2 champions. He fought off an overtime powerplay vs the Kings to push to a SO. I am fine if you have legitimate gripes about Cam but to me it seems like you can't see the forest through the trees...

We need to realize that we have an amazing goalie tandem IMO the best in the league.  

Skinner better skate with his head up. It seems like every time Carolina is in Ontario all the players are gunning for him.

Last year Bozak boarded skinner and later in the game Franson knocked Skinner into the boards while clearing the crease. No penalty was called on either play of course. We all know what happen in Ottawa with the Cowen hit. If the Canes find themselves losing by three or more I think some retribution is in order. I hope that both Westgarth and Komisarek are in the lineup tonight. Blanchard would not be a bad idea either.