The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

What salary do you think is acceptable for an 0 for 5 goalie?

Khudobin is 2 and 0 this year, so JR should back up the Brinks truck.

Not for Khudobins raise just yet but maybe to pick up the extra Cam's been collecting.

From last night

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 12h

Heard tonight that Khudobin might be able to get back sooner rather than later, maybe after next week.

Also heard unlikely Lindholm will play against Islanders. May wait until Wild game next week.

This is where the vast open stretches in the schedule should really help. Holding guys out tomorrow gives them 5 extra days to recover missing just one game. Then there's three more days off before the back to back. 

So there is no problem riding Cam, including the back to back (sorry Justin) on the road since there are 4 days before and 2 days after it.

Khudoben (and Gleason) could sit out 2 full weeks and miss only 4 games. No need to rush Lindholm either. 

Edited by remkin

From last night

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 12h

Heard tonight that Khudobin might be able to get back sooner rather than later, maybe after next week.

Also heard unlikely Lindholm will play against Islanders. May wait until Wild game next week.

This is where the vast open stretches in the schedule should really help. Holding guys out tomorrow gives them 5 extra days to recover missing just one game. Then there's three more days off before the back to back. 

So there is no problem riding Cam, including the back to back (sorry Justin) on the road since there are 4 days before and 2 days after it.

Khudoben (and Gleason) could sit out 2 full weeks and miss only 4 games. No need to rush Lindholm either. 

Its nice to have the luxury of letting the injured heal without pushing the panic button.

One point to make at this point having played 8 games against 7 very good to elite teams with a defense made up of 4/6 new starters.

WWLYTB?

Where would last year's team be? Whether we are yet fully the team of Remkin's Island or not, it seems pretty safe to say what we are not. We are not the national media's version of last year's debacle plus a couple. 

It has yet to be proven whether we on the Island are completely right. But it is reasonable to say that those dunderheads that had us near the bottom, are wrong. 

So there's that.

Edited by remkin

I'm going to repeat a post I had over on the GDT because I think it's pretty important.

I've heard some people describe last night as a lucky win.  Although we got a lucky goal, I don't see it as a lucky win.  We not only showed a lot of character, my overall perspective of the game is that we outplayed them and therefore deserved the win.  Or think of it this way: if we had  given up a goal like that a lot of people wouldn't be saying "the Leafs got a lucky goal"; they'd be saying "we suck".

Absolutely agree w/ Lake. 

They were the home team on a roll. They went up 2-0. We then outshot them 28-14 the rest of the game w/ several grade A chances turned away. Good goaltending both ways.

Sure the winner was a flukey bounce, but mistakes count. Sekera misplayed the blueline on Toronto's second goal. Just missed the puck and the man leading to a 2 on 1. If a player on team A makes a boneheaded mistake and a resulting goal, sure flukey, but it went it because of a lack of concentration which is part of the equation that determines who wins.

We carried the play more of the game in their building. 

Same vs. Chicago, we carried 2/3 plus. In that game had E Staal not decided to go down to the offensive zone and start cross checking everyone almost trying to draw that penalty OR Bellemore had not whiffed on the clear at the end of that PP we win 2-1 outright.

I've heard some people describe last night as a lucky win.  Although we got a lucky goal, I don't see it as a lucky win.  We not only showed a lot of character, my overall perspective of the game is that we outplayed them and therefore deserved the win.  Or think of it this way: if we had  given up a goal like that a lot of people wouldn't be saying "the Leafs got a lucky goal"; they'd be saying "we suck".

The truth is that it all evens out in the end with bad bounces.  each team will pretty much have the same number of bad bounces either go their way or not go their way.  We had one go our way, thats hockey.  At some point the leafs will have one go their way. You can't really call it lucky, you get a certain amount of those a year for you and against you.

It's been what, 15 years? That was the luckiest goal this franchise has ever seen.

There's lucky bounces and then theirs "Quick! Go buy a lottery ticket" bounces.

It's been what, 15 years? That was the luckiest goal this franchise has ever seen.

There's lucky bounces and then theirs "Quick! Go buy a lottery ticket" bounces.

I was thinking the same thing!  This team hasn't seen a break like that since...I have no idea when.

One point to make at this point having played 8 games against 7 very good to elite teams with a defense made up of 4/6 new starters.

WWLYTB?

Where would last year's team be? Whether we are yet fully the team of Remkin's Island or not, it seems pretty safe to say what we are not. We are not the national media's version of last year's debacle plus a couple. 

It has yet to be proven whether we on the Island are completely right. But it is reasonable to say that those dunderheads that had us near the bottom, are wrong. 

So there's that.

I think we're an Island team.

The truth is that it all evens out in the end with bad bounces.  each team will pretty much have the same number of bad bounces either go their way or not go their way.  We had one go our way, thats hockey.  At some point the leafs will have one go their way. You can't really call it lucky, you get a certain amount of those a year for you and against you.

We got the goal because Dvorak hustled, and got the icing waved off.  It was the GWG because the team buckled down and clawed their way back.  Last year's team might have lost 4-1.  Teams make their own luck to a certaindegree.

Funny how the better teams seem to more breaks than the lesser ones, isn't it?

Fortune favours the prepared.

I was thinking the same thing!  This team hasn't seen a break like that since...I have no idea when.

2006 against the Oilers. Their backup goalie miscued behind the net and Brindy stuffed it in....now if someone with alot more computer smarts than me could post that little jem of a  highlight reel...?

Edited by hockeybaby

Man, there's some depressing people on this forum.  It's one reason I don't really post much, and don't visit nearly as much as I used to.  I like this team.  We're in a pretty good place considering we aren't running on all cylinders just yet.   I think there's another gear to this team, and the fact that we battled back in 3 or 4 games to even get points or win it is a different feel from the past few years, when you just knew it was all over save the fat lady singing. 

2006 against the Oilers. Their backup goalie miscued behind the net and Brindy stuffed it in....now if someone with alot more computer smarts than me could post that little jem of a  highlight reel...?

What in the world is going on with Jordan Staal? He an Cam have the same number of points. Did he just benefit from playing on a better team in the Pens? Last season it was said his lackluster play was do to the short season, adjusting to a new team, and a line that never truly jelled. What's the excuse now? Could it be that Jordan is truly a third line grinder and penalty killer? Should JR have tried to get a true second line center rather than trying to figure out who the third line center was? I hope I'm wrong, but so far, it looks like JR might have over valued his talent. Believe me, I would like nothing more than to be proven wrong.

There is something to be said about the system you play, look at Jussi thus far... J.Staal certainly hasnt been worth the money so far, but I too, hope that changes. Did notice last game, that he is not a fighter, when he turned his back after a play behind the net...The D. looks 10 times better than what we saw last year, now for offense and this season could be a lot of fun....

Well, what does that say about Muller's system, and his use of players. I believe that Jussi lost his confidence because he was used in a checking role,rather than using him in a role that used his natural talent. I also feel that is what led to LaRose's frustration, and possibly the end of his hockey career. He could have been on the first line one night. The fourth the next night, and the press box the night after. The same was true for Jussi. I am not equating Jussi and Chad's talent level, but it had to be tough on two veterans not to know what their roles were. I'm very happy to see Jussi doing well, and I would love to see Chad get a shot somewhere, but I think he has had enough.

I too expect more offense from J. I had him and Skinner as the two key pieces that would be "different" up front from last year without adding anyone (along w/ Ruutu). Skinner is delivering.

I am not making excuses, J. needs to find a way to create points despite what I'm about to say.

But night in and night out Muller puts J.'s line out there vs the other team's top line in a checking role. And the teams we have been playing ALL have high powered top lines. Also, while I like Pat Dwyer as a hockey player, he is not going to bump your offensive numbers like playing with say Semin and Tlusty. And Gerbe has been really nice, but still not at that level. And J. has been a bit snake-bitten.

That said, while it would be fine to have a mainly defensive checking center, the economics of this league pay point producers, especially forwards, and Jordan needs to get to at LEAST the 50 plus point mark, and even that is pretty light for the pay and assumes shutting the other end down on top of that. I expect 65 plus from him.

The team is proceeding nicely along the stated plan of build the season from the goal out. There really was no choice after last year's defensive horror show; but to become the team of Remkin's Island the offense must start to arrive soon. Jordan is the #1 key that is not getting that done to date. Frankly Semin is off the pace, and Tlusty and Ruutu need to get back into form also. But Jordan can get an entire line going.

While we need to check those high flying lines, the best defense is at least some offense. We need those lines back checking worrying about there own end. That requires some sustained offense from that second line.

It has been said that it is probably a confidence issue with J. If so, put some scoring punch on that line, and maybe let Eric and Semin play head to head w/ the other team's first line for a little while. Put some offense on his line and turn him a loose just a tad more. Let him put a couple in the net. Get that confidence up.

I am still predicting Jordan comes around offensively, but a lot rides on it. If he does, this team instantly gets very very hard to handle. If not, we will need all three of Semin, Tlusty, and Ruutu kicking it in. But if not then the contract is a legit issue.

The thing is he has actual history of putting up nice numbers, even in a checking role. The ability has been proven. The coach and the player need to find it and unlock it. It is pivotal for just how good this team can be.

Edited by remkin