The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Agree with everything except...

On MAB...michael-scott-no.gif

I'm glad you said it. Bringing back MAB would pretty much offset any gain made by bringing in a defensive defenseman. MAB simply cannot play defense, and I really hope he is not brought back. He is exactly the kind of guy we need to move on from.

I'm glad you said it. Bringing back MAB would pretty much offset any gain made by bringing in a defensive defenseman. MAB simply cannot play defense, and I really hope he is not brought back. He is exactly the kind of guy we need to move on from.

Especially when we have a Ryan Murphy who has a serious chance at cracking the NHL roster in the same exact slot MAB would fill.

Especially when we have a Ryan Murphy who has a serious chance at cracking the NHL roster in the same exact slot MAB would fill.

Yeah, I said this several times. If we dressed Murphy and MAB in the same game the other team would laugh us off the ice...or Cam would just retire. What would be awesome is seeing them out there together as a D-pairing, that would be comical. Maybe we could get Enstrom from Winnipeg also.

We have Staal, Semin, Skinner, Staal, Tlusty, Ruutu, Pitkanin, and Faulk. If we need MAB to dress as a 7th defenseman to make our power play work, someone is seriously NOT doing their job.

I think we get our D-Man in the FA market or by JR working one of those "how did he do that" trades a la Jokinen, Kaberle.  Honestly, if we can get one guy and then sign MAB to a 1 year deal, we're in pretty good shape on the back end. 

I don't think that JR is going to find a top d-man sitting out by the curb with the trash.  He won't be able to trade some expired Hardees coupons and some dead "D" cell batteries for the d-man that the Canes need.  If he makes a trade, it is going to take a similarly talented forward going the other way or some combination of high picks and top prospects. 

On MAB...uh...nope.  He helped on the PP, but he was a band aid and not the cure.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 2h

Meant to post earlier: GM Jim Rutherford says he expects all Canes UFAs to go into market next month. Says may later sign one or two.

Chip is guessing the one or two might be Ellis and  a D-man.

Our UFA's  are Brent, LaRose, Corvo, Bergeron, Sanquinetti, Ellis

Looks to me like we are going shopping.

I dunno...part of me thinks Rosey comes crawling back around late August when no team will sign him and agrees to a 3-year, 600K salary

I don't know AWAC. I really appreciate what Rosey brings to the team. But it looks like he doesn't fit the Muller system and I think when he didn't show up for the exit interview it garunteed he wouldn't be back. Only Staal and Ward remain from the 06 Cup team. I don;t know where we are headed but I think whereever it is it is a new direction.

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 2h

Gonchar and the Stars have reached agreement on a 2 yr deal, believed to be $5 mil per, $10 mil total. Pending signed paperwork.

Thats one UFA off the market. It does give us some idea on the price of a veteran this year.

Come on home Sutter! JR do the right thing and bring Brandon back!

We already have a third line center(that plays on the second line) we sure don't need another.

We already have a third line center(that plays on the second line) we sure don't need another.

And a ******** ** **** goalie that plays elite goalie.

And a captain that is only the captain because of ***-*-***-***.

I understand your point but I'm not sure I agree. J was forced to play a more physical game last season. His game is really speed and energy even from a third line. Combine that with the Ruutu and Skinner injury and he had to play out of his game. Give him Skinner and Ruutu or Nich and I think we will see he can be a very decent second line center.

And a ******** ** **** goalie that plays elite goalie.

And a captain that is only the captain because of ***-*-***-***.

I don't remember Mr. Haney using that kind of language!

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 2h

Gonchar and the Stars have reached agreement on a 2 yr deal, believed to be $5 mil per, $10 mil total. Pending signed paperwork.

Thats one UFA off the market. It does give us some idea on the price of a veteran this year.

As somebody said on another website, "Holy over-pay, Batman!"  This has to make Mark Streit really happy and really out of our price range at his age.

Apparently Philly is in the market for a defenseman and are willing to trade one of their young centers (B. Schenn or Couturier) for the right deal.

Send them McBain and something.

Nich - Schenn - Dwyer on 3rd line.

Edited by TheFaulker

These things are not making me feel better about our chances to land a defenseman.

I'm afraid the only way JR will land a "true" top defenseman (that is not a year or two from retirement) is to trade somebody we do not want to, like Sutter last year. McBain and any other prospects may get us a bottom 2 or 3 d-man. IMO, probably would have to give up Skinner or Tlusty/McBain for a top pair d-man.

If JR settles on a 4th d-man, Scuderi (UFA) or Johnson (Trade) could be candidates. For cap room to get a top d-man and a tough bottom pairing d-man, JR is going to have to trade a couple of bodies, IMO.

This may not be an exciting option, and certainly not the answer to our need for a top four D-man, but if Bryan Allen gets bought out in Anaheim and we can get him for the right price he would be a good add. We never should have let him go in my opinion.

I'm afraid the only way JR will land a "true" top defenseman (that is not a year or two from retirement) is to trade somebody we do not want to, like Sutter last year. McBain and any other prospects may get us a bottom 2 or 3 d-man. IMO, probably would have to give up Skinner or Tlusty/McBain for a top pair d-man.

If JR settles on a 4th d-man, Scuderi (UFA) or Johnson (Trade) could be candidates. For cap room to get a top d-man and a tough bottom pairing d-man, JR is going to have to trade a couple of bodies, IMO.

Bill, i hope u dont me mean  Jack johnson, that primma donna that was too good for Raleigh..

Agreed, if we wind up moving a man for a top 4 D-man we set ourselves backwards. UFA will have to be an overpayment, it's just how the business works, my opinion is and always has been if you put together a group of vets who buy into a system your set. Which is what I think 06 was for us, none of those guys were "amazing" they were good and covered for each other.

Bill, i hope u dont me mean  Jack johnson, that primma donna that was too good for Raleigh..

Gosh, no. I was thinking of Erik Johnson, Col Avs. He's got 3 more years at $3.75M. St Louis made him the 1st Seth Jones! He didn't live up to the initial draft hype but is definitely a top 4 d-man and still maturing. He's only 25. May not be "veteran" enough for JR. But his cap hit is manageable, especially since JR would have to trade an asset or two to land him.