The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Who would center the other two lines? 

I don't think Jordan has been great at wing, but Eric can play wing. Could put Jordan centering line one w/ Eric, but in the long run, I really think we want to be strong down the middle and both guys see themselves as centers. Plus E and J are similar players and not sure they really compliment each other.

Then, if it seems to work but we are weak down the middle what do we do? 

I want to get J going and would try anything, and I certainly could be wrong, just never really been a fan of the Staal squared line.

And now for a thought provoking question. How good is the defense without Joni.

My thoughts are they are playing better support positions and seem to have a better feel for what  the other of the pair is doing.

winger thats a good discussion as long as it doesn't turn into a lets bash Joni debate. Our defense does seem to be more responsible and playing well together. We are still giving up a lot of SOG. Murphy has shown he can bring the offensive side when needed and our D always seems to be looking at moving the puck forward. Overall I like the look of this defense more then in the last few seasons.

Before pinning it all on Joni we also replaced Corvo and McBain. My feeling is Joni would have had a difficult time fitting into this defensive scheme but last season pre-injury Joni looked better then I had ever seen him. Overall I like our defense.

winger thats a good discussion as long as it doesn't turn into a lets bash Joni debate. Our defense does seem to be more responsible and playing well together. We are still giving up a lot of SOG. Murphy has shown he can bring the offensive side when needed and our D always seems to be looking at moving the puck forward. Overall I like the look of this defense more then in the last few seasons.

Before pinning it all on Joni we also replaced Corvo and McBain. My feeling is Joni would have had a difficult time fitting into this defensive scheme but last season pre-injury Joni looked better then I had ever seen him. Overall I like our defense.

Nice post OBXer. On the shots against, things are moving in the right direction, the Canes currently rank 17th in the league, versus 25th & 27th in the previous two seasons.

Ah, the great Joni debate! Your point to not overlook the supporting cast changes is key. All of them, from a defensive play side, seem to be improvements so far. From a play style standpoint, I think Murphy had been tagged when a prospect as a Joni successor and he seems to have that flair on the o-side. Positionally the d-unit are playing sound--a lot less random puck chasing and a lot more effort to keep themselves between the puck and the goal.

Our D has changed so much it's complete speculation as to how Pitkanen plays into the whole thing.  But if you want to play that game, here's the relevant question imo: how would our current D look with a healthy Joni on the team instead of Hainsey? 

It's better than the goalie debate, but eerily similar too.

I think Joni is a more skilled player than some on the ice, but contrary to his and the coach's opinion, I think his talent would have been better served if he tilted more to stay at home. Hainsey is actually looking really good to me, but is sporting a highly negative plus minus at the moment. I just think Joni's forrays deep into the offensive zone were more defensively disruptive that offensively productive. If Joni were to remake himself much as Glen Wesley did, into a more traditional defenseman he could be highly effective.

But he's out so it's kind of a pointless exercise in a way.

What I would say is the Ryan Murphy is for real and here to stay. His defense is underrated and will continue to get better as he gets positionally better in the back end. But he has already nicely dismantled several rushes by super elite forwards. And far more than Joni's his offensive rushes lead to chances. 

On the defense being better, the biggest equation remains Sekera for McBain. 

I do think Bellemore is an under-discussed development. He is a pure farm system development as well as a late round pick. He had a couple of off games but at worst adds nicely to our depth and at best is a solid defensive dman that WE DEVELOPED.

IMO Joni brings a completely different dynamic to the defense which at times may or may not be a good thing.   When he's healthy and on his game, he tends to be a one man show and while he has success, does it really help the team defense when he's not on the ice?  This new defense seems to work as a team and it doesnt seem to matter so far who's paired with who.  Not sure if Joni can fit into that model or not but there's no overlooking his skills and what he can add to the offensive production when he's healthy.

Tough call if he was ready to return.

It will be interesting to see how Gleason returns back into the lineup.

If we get the good (healthy) version of Gleason back, we could see something very good with this defense.

I had forgotten how young J is (just turned 25 a month ago).  Given his age, size, and potential (demonstrated with the Pens), I'd rather have him with us than against us.  Which doesn't mean that I don't expect him to pick it up this season.

Which brings us to the team as a whole.  We've only got 2 players over 30 (Dvorak at 36 and Hainsey at 32).  If this team continues to gel, they could form the foundation of a sound franchise for a while to come.

Edited by LakeLivin

One other random observation:

This past off-season, many here talked about how we'd have to get bigger and stronger in order to be able to compete in the new division  (I remember someone saying something along the lines of "We don't want Gerbe, he's too small"). I just heard Barry Melrose talk about how the West has been dominating the East in inter Conference play so far this season.  He mentioned that many of the more successful teams in the West are winning with speed/ skill and that the East may be struggling because many of it's teams are behind in that area and playing more in the "traditional" big/ tough style.  Interesting food for thought . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

If we get the good (healthy) version of Gleason back, we could see something very good with this defense.

SD: you nailed it.  What Gleason will we get?   Is his foot OK?  Is his head OK?

Last night, watching the game, it really hit me how much smoother this team D is playing.  And I'm talking forwards too.  One of many plays comes to mind.  The broadcast team highlighted a disruption by Gerbe in the slot accomplished with his long stick.   Maybe the danged training camp did matter. 

In any case, guys are just doing what they need to do at just the right time.  There's some chemistry brewing, and I hope Gleason got the formula.  The substituted elements seemed to work well (eg: element "S" in place of element "Mc".)

The only Debbie Downer?  The close slot clean up duty during power plays.  There have been multiple goals now where our guys can't seem to find the puck in the close slot during whack-a-mole play. 

"Blinding" mentioned this in another thread and I'll repeat, since they said it so well:

I swear a large chunk of the goals scored against us have come from the dead slot right above the crease, our defensive collapse needs to be way better in that regard.

I swear a large chunk of the goals scored against us have come from the dead slot right above the crease, our defensive collapse needs to be way better in that regard.

I've noticed that as well, and it's not just during PPs.  The good thing for us is that something systematic like that should be relatively easy for the coaching staff to diagnose (and hopefully fix.) 

I think that's pretty spot on if we are talking about where the opposing teams goals are coming from, particularly on the PP.  We should take a page out of that book, but I digress......

I think it's been a turnaround overall in playing "team". defense, as wxray mentioned.  And that includes this forecheck we seem to have going, in the last 2 games in particular.  You know, they can't score if they don't have the puck.

The Good Pissed Off Gleason will only help.  Anything short of that and I like the group we have. 

Sekerea doesn't stick out, but he's just a solid, consistent guy back there with Faulk, and he can move the puck.  I've been really impressed with Hainsey, and I think he and Murphy work well together.  I thought in his first 2 games Komisarek's been just fine, and he can hit.  Bellemore is inconsistent, but he's a young guy that's going to make mistakes.  I think so far, Harrison's not been as good as in the past, but he's a servicable guy in a bottom pairing.

I'm not sure where Gleason fits in?  Right now, the only guy I would bump is either Komi, Bellemore or Harrison.

Right now, I see no way that Sekera, Faulk, Hainsey, or Murphy come out of the lineup.  That's going to leave a bottom pairing of 2 of Bellemore, Komi, Gleason, and Harrison.  I'd have to think that Bellemore is the obvious 1st out, but still a good depth guy.  If Komisarek can get his mojo back, he and Grumpy Gleason could be a force to recon with.

The team saves $450k if it's Bellmore who goes down.  Agree with super_dave, I think the answer is pretty obvious.

Speaking of money, I think we have between $3.5 and $4m in cap space available due to LTIR.  Depending on where the team is positioned near the trade deadline, that could make for an interesting situation.

A blast from the recent past...

As of right now, if you had to predict, who will have a BETTER NHL career --- Ryan Murphy or Lindholm?

Staalsy... "Oh my goodness Lindholm without hesitation"

Greg-N-Ral... "I'm kinda leaning towards Murphy"

Remkin... "expectations are higher for Lindholm. I am thinking really elite with him. So I have to pick Lidholm..."

Staalsy... "Greg I think you'd be hard pressed to find 5 people on this planet... that'd take Murphy over Lindholm."

Well boys, I'm thinking we might be able to find 4 more to side with me on this one now!!!!!  :notworthy: 

Murphy, as a rookie D-man  :thumbsup:
Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Interesting, just seeing where Michael Grabner's hit on Gerbe is being reviewed by Player Safety tommorrow!!

UNCCaniac88 just posted it in the GDT.   Glad they're looking at it and lucky he didnt get hurt.

A blast from the recent past...

As of right now, if you had to predict, who will have a BETTER NHL career --- Ryan Murphy or Lindholm?

Staalsy... "Oh my goodness Lindholm without hesitation"

Greg-N-Ral... "I'm kinda leaning towards Murphy"

Remkin... "expectations are higher for Lindholm. I am thinking really elite with him. So I have to pick Lidholm..."

Staalsy... "Greg I think you'd be hard pressed to find 5 people on this planet... that'd take Murphy over Lindholm."

Well boys, I'm thinking we might be able to find 4 more to side with me on this one now!!!!!  :notworthy: 

Murphy, as a rookie D-man  :thumbsup:

Kind of like the goalie debate, a bit of splitting the baby having to pick between the two. 

At least for me these boards are littered with me saying great things about Murphy and being very early on his bandwagon. (See my Rock you like a Hurricane post).  So picking Lindholm, who may have a Hall of Fame career in a career projection, ahead of Murphy, is no slight on Murphy. 

But you asked who would have a better NHL CAREER, not a better 2013-14. Lindolm is 18. When Murphy was 18 (and 19) he couldn't crack the Hurricanes lineup. He is two years ahead of Lindholm. 

I congratulate you for joining me in being right about Murphy being better than some thought, but we won't be able to see who wins this debate for 15 years or more (hopefully). Check back then.   :wheelchair: ..

But as with the goalie debate, the great thing is that we have both of these guys along with Skinner to keep the distant future bright. More evidence of some good drafting.

Edited by remkin