The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Three thoughts.

1. Lindholm on the 4th line only makes sense if the decision on him staying after his tryout has already been made. 

2. The real long term comparison is not Murphy vs. Lindholm but Lindholm vs. Monahan since we could have had either one. Wayyyy too early to tell, but Monahan is playing really really well. 

3. It's a crazy, nutty Eklund rumor of no value, but how crazy would it be to have Yakupov? The problem would be what we'd have to give up for him. 

Edited by remkin

Comparing Murphy vs. Lindholm always seemed odd to me.

Lindholm vs. Monahan makes too much sense.  Same position, same draft year, and the Canes could have taken either.  Not to mention the attention it got around here and helped carry the offseason converstaion.

Calgary likes their pick thus far.  He's looking pretty comfortable.  But it's just 9 games.  Come back in 5 years.

Eklund.  LOL.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I really liked what I saw form Lindholm. he was getting more comfortable on a nightly basis. It's only a matter of time people! Bring on the hockey already!!!! This ahs been too long of a wait!!!!!

I'd read this idiotic statement several days ago, and could not believe the absolute stupidity of the thought. Just confirms what I read often that Eklund just seems to throw darts at a wall and chose his topic.

Presently, I'm agreeing with bd58 in gasping for air at not having hockey since Saturday. Guess that this is a hangover from the killer pace of the 12-13 season, but surely seems like a long time from our last game.

Anxious to see Lindholm back on the ice to continue his development and keep him away from the illness that seems to affect state fair goers.

Guess that the team has flown out by now? Wonder when the tradition of greeting the team at the airport will return, but guess this activity follows the W/L record. Sure wish it would return soon, altho it is very difficult for me to drive up about 1 hr away. 

Hopefully Lindholm does get bumped up because him with Skinner and Ruutu would be nice and he would actually be playing with skilled people. Putting Lindholm on a line with Drayson "Slapshot from the circle" Bowman and Westgarth is pointless.

Edited by staalsy

On Monahan vs. Lindholm: they're being asked to do VERY different things so far in the season. Monahan has played very sheltered minutes, usually starting in the offensive zone, and his shooting % is a completely unsustainable 28%.  While I think his and Lindholm's games aren't dramatically different, Lindholm is being put in more of a position to play defense and a checking-style game with some PP time.  While his points aren't as good as the Calgary Kid, Lindholm was really impressive against Washington.

Big fan of Westgarth the person, but really don't see what he offers on the ice to warrant keeping him around.  

Also, this:

qmkVgj8.gif

Okay, no problem, just seemed like you were throwing a jab out there.

And since you weren't around during the off-season discussion, there was quite a debate around here on Lindholm vs. Monahan relative to who the Canes should draft.

Regardless of what you think of either player and how they are being used at this point in time, it's a fair comparison over the long term and taken in the context of the board discussions. ;) 

But, with that said, most should realize it's too early to really compare anything.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Random thought:

If Lindholm gets hurt again before he plays his 10th game, how many games would he have to miss before the club might consider sending him down (or back to Sweden) instead of burning the first year of his entry level contract?  I know the odds of this happening are small, and things would have to break very negatively for it to even be considered, but like most things it can be viewed from a cost/ benefit perspective.  If it came down to it, with our LTIR cap space and the $ savings if Lindholm was "saved" for next year, I'm guessing we could get a pretty good rent a player if we wanted to pick up the slack.  

Again, random thought; hopefully (and odds are)  Lindy will come back strong and healthy and be a significant contributor to the team this year.        

Edited by LakeLivin

I don't know Lake, but it seems to me the Canes are leaning towards keeping him around unless injury sidelines him for any amount of time.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him spend some time in Charlotte though.  Sweden, I would bet no.

Yeah, I'd think it would have to be a situation along the lines of us being 30-35 or so games into the season (and doing well) before he played his 10th in order for it to be even considered.   But no problem if it does come about because by then we'll have Yakupov to pick up the slack :rofl: .

Lindholm can hang at this level. Just needs to heal up and play healthy.

Take the inuries out and he stays.

So much has been made (including by him) about adjusting to the smaller rink size. So going back to Sweden makes less sense than Charlotte if it comes to that.

But I still have him staying. And showing more and more as time goes on too.

I was thinking more along the lines of a conditioning assignment in Charlotte, and not as much a demotion to the AHL.  It's already been mentioned by the staff as an option.

I agree though, he's got too much skill to not improve as time goes on, given he's already defensively responsible.

However, I still don't think he has an NHL body quite yet, and I'm hoping he doesn't get severely injured while he "learns" how to take an NHL hit.

I completely agree about the getting hit part.

The thing is, they hit hard in the AHL too.

I suspect he'd get hit less in Sweden, but needs to adjust to the rink size.

So I figure we just keep him.\

Just whatever we do, don't rush the injury part.

Edited by remkin

My original question was actually intended to be more about the nature of entry level contracts than to question Lindholm at the NHL level.  I should have stated more clearly that it was largely philosophical. :)

Let's put it another way: good players under entry level contracts add a different dimension of "value" to an organization (e.g., can you imagine how difficult finalizing our roster would have been this offseason if we had been paying Faulk market value instead of his entry level salary?) So, how many games in a season would you want to get out of an 18 year old who's productive now but is projected to rise well beyond that as his career develops (maybe even become a franchise cornerstone) before you "spend" one of the three years you've got him on entry level?  Obviously the answer depends a lot on particular circumstances such as player development, team depth, the prospective success of the team, etc. Which is why I thought it might be interesting to speculate about "what ifs" with Lindholm.  If you projected him as playing for at most half the year, would you sacrifice 40 healthy games from him this season in order to have him under an entry level contract for an extra year in 2016-2017?  If he's seen as the difference in a playoff run my answer would clearly be no. But If I we had depth to the point that I thought he wouldn't make a huge difference this year I'd have to think about it pretty carefully. . . And again, I don't see Lindholm being injured to the extent that this actually becomes something the Canes have to worry about.  I think he'll spend most of this year in Raleigh with perhaps a stint in Charlotte for "conditioning" if needed.

Edited by LakeLivin

Something that might be interesting to keep our eye on:

I noticed that Mark Arcobello of Edmonton is only 5'8" and weighs 166 lbs (sound familiar?)  He's played in all 10 games so far, averaging 17:10 per game, is tied for the league lead in assists with 10, and most importantly hasn't yet gotten squished!  It will be interesting to see how he holds up as the season goes on.

Just some thoughts when comparing Monahan and Lindholm.

As was said, they play different styles. Lindholm is a defensive forward with skill, while Monahan is more of a pure scorer. Monahan is Canadian and plays for Calgary, Lindholm is from Sweden and plays in Carolina. There is going to be more of a transition period with Lindholm both on and off the ice. Lindholm has played limited minutes, and hasn't had much of a chance with our skilled players. Monahan plays significant minutes, often with Hudler (who has 12 points in 9 games and is plus 3) and Baertschi (who was considered Calgary's top prospect, and one of the top prospects in the league, who is a plus 1). Monahan is -2 and needs to work on his defensive game, just like Lindholm will need to work on his offensive game. Still, both have looked good IMO.

I am really impressed with Monahan's ability to finish and his poise/confidence. He looked like an NHL player from game one. Lindholm was nervous his first few games and it showed, but that changed/will change in short order. Monahan has some work to do defensively but the Canadian announcers are too hard on the kid, pointing out every positional mistake. In that sense he is facing his own type of pressure, and in my opinion he has handled it great so far.

Lindholm has been very good defensively and has looked better every game. Monahan has already showed that he can score at this level which is very hard to do this early in your career. The truth is I like both players, and I have zero concerns about us taking Lindholm outside of him needing to learn to take a hit (as others have said).

Like Coastal said though, it should be interesting to see where all of these top picks will be in five years. I have watched all of them closely to this point, and I look forward to seeing them all develop over time.

Finally, I know I am biased but I just hope all of the little things that Lindholm does defensively don't go unnoticed/unappreciated. This is where he will be a difference maker, not just on a stat sheet.

The real question is can we pick him up and in a year or two have an entire smurf line.

Now that would be fun! Can you imagine the frustration of other teams trying to keep up with them?

Oh, and on Lindholm, I'm very content with that pick.  I think it's the type that 10 years down the line, announcers may point back to it and point out the benefits of drafting "solid" instead of "flash".

Edited by LakeLivin

Now that would be fun! Can you imagine the frustration of other teams trying to keep up with them?

Keep up with them? They wouldn't be able to find them.