The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Wardo down.  Out 3-4 weeks minimum.  Murphy to be called up.

This. Is. Not. Good.

Well, there are only 3 more games scheduled between today and November 1st.  Hopefully Khudobin will be ready to go by then.

Since the last update both Tolchinsky and McGinn have played another game. Sergey had 3 assists and Brock a hatrick and and assist!

Tolchinsky 12 games 11 G 13 A

McGinn 13 games 13 G 10 A

:yippee:

We have got to be the most snakebit team with injuries...good God...we couldn't stay healthy if our team doctor was Leonard frickin McCoy

I'm scared. I'm scared guys, someone hold me. It's only a month, but still. How comfortable can you be with him in net without fearing he'll re-injure himself again, there were two previous games he took a while to get up after making a butterfly save.

I'm scared. I'm scared guys, someone hold me. It's only a month, but still. How comfortable can you be with him in net without fearing he'll re-injure himself again, there were two previous games he took a while to get up after making a butterfly save.

I'm concerned too. I noticed even in this game in the first few minutes where it just seemed like it was a process for him to get back to his feet as opposed to just 'popping up' like he and most NHL level goalies usually do.

Troubling too that this seemed to be a self-inflicted type injury, indicating a body failing on Cam's part. I think his recent previous injuries had been caused/initiated by outside actions (rammed into the goal post, cut with a skate) where you could say Cam had "bad luck" as opposed to being "injury prone". Now may be different and that is not good...

I get the feeling that a lot of people here feel like the goalie injuries may be the defining event of this season.  My bold prediction is that the defining event won't be the goalies themselves, rather it will be how the rest of the team responds to the goalie injuries.  If they bear down and play hard (like they did last night), I think we stand a decent chance of coming through this ok.  And possibly even stronger once everyone is back to full strength. 

:crossfingers:

Since the last update both Tolchinsky and McGinn have played another game. Sergey had 3 assists and Brock a hatrick and and assist!

Tolchinsky 12 games 11 G 13 A

McGinn 13 games 13 G 10 A

:yippee:

Tolchinsky remains on my radar as an X-factor for this season.  His stats remain beyond awesome!!

Just a thought...if this is truly a sign of Cam's body failing, might it be time to explore a buyout during the period next summer?

Yes.  He's not worth over 6.5-mil per season, esp after the last few years. Plain and simple.

The only other Canes player that is worth less value for the money is Jordan Staal... our 60-mil dollar man (but wait, he does great pirate telescope antics before the game...).

3-4 weeks of Peters/Murphy/Khudobin is not gonna cut it...2 UFAs that we should kick the tires on...

Jose Theodore and (shudder) Ilya Bryzgalov.  The thing about Bryz is that he could do well here.  I think of him the same way I do about Semin, quiet guy who will perform better in a smaller market without the press dogging him every day.  He's playing in the ECHL right now and I would expect he'd be more than happy to sign a 2-way deal.  He can be a stop gap and maybe even have some trade value if he performs well. 

It may just be me but I think its time we start to user in a new Era of goaltending for the Canes. I heard alot of off season talk about 3rd line centers awful d and so on but not many talked about ouromplete and utter Goalie nightmare, sure maybe about back ups but our depth is really bad. Peters lets 2 goals on first 2 shots? Cam is a good goaltender. He has had a few great years helped us win a cup and as a fan I am greatful to have seen it and watch him from day one. He has had flashes of excellent tending but they are fast and if you blink you may miss them, add in the fact that he is highly injury prone ala Dipietro then thats what is scary. Kudobin was a great pickup but I think we need to start exploring the idea of Cam being our backup for a while until he can A. play well with confidence again and B. not get injured every 10 games. That would give him a chance to slowly start to regain confidence and become NHL top notch again all while resting and working on his injury proneness. We might also need to address our condition staff and medical staff. What other team is this injury prone. When was the last season any of us remember where everyone was healthy and there were very few injuries? Since 03-04 Ruutu has only played 2 full 82 game seasons. Since 03-04 Pitkanen has NEVER played a full 82 game season. 03-04 being their first NHL season. I mean thats just insane to me. We have had entire seasons ruined over inuries for years. LAst year being an extreme case. On another note I think some of our off season work has been great Gerbe for one is a nice suprise. Also love how Faulk seems to be setting into his position. There is alot of promise here we just still need a bit of fine tweaking. No not twerking.

All Island predictions are based on us NOT losing both of our goalies by game 10. 

While I shudder at the thought of Peters playing more than a few games, the thought of going even deeper into the rabbit hole and playing Mike Murphy makes me a bit nauseous. 

I guess it's one last chance for Peters to show something.....

Problem is, confidence was building. But confidence includes confidence in the goalie. IMHO this was part of the issue last year. It was only part of it, so I'm not in full on panic mode, but Chip describes a solemn locker room and they are going to need to pull up out of that. 

Tonight's game could be key. A hard fought, us against the world point even, would go a long ways.

The other thing. We would be better off to take a couple of losses that were likely losses anyway than rush anyone back, even Khudobin. 

Edited by remkin

All Island predictions are based on us NOT losing both of our goalies by game 10. 

An earthquake hit offshort and a tsunami just rolled the island.

It is unsure what the damages are at this point.  Stay tuned.

WOW.  I just took a look at our players salary.  Just going to point out a couple that stuck out for me.  Let me know what you guys think.  Who is worth it and who isn't.

Cam Ward-$6.3- If a goalie is making that kind of coin he should be expected to carry you to the at least 8th seed in the playoffs.

Ruutu & Pitkanen- $4.75-$4.5- I love Ruutu but he is not worth it.  Ever since he was drafted by chicago he has been injured.  Not to mention we traded Ladd for him. As far as Pitkanen goes.....well even when healthy he under achieves and is a huge liability on defense.

Gleason-$4- another player I really like but give me a break.  $4M.  Sekera and Hainsey make $4m combined and I'll take either one of them over Gleason.  Sorry Timmy

And do not forget Mr. J.Staal getting $6m a year for the next 10 YEARS!

For a team that never makes the playoffs why does Rutherfod always get a pass.  Why did it take PItkanen being out he whole year to pull the trigger on Hainsey.  He is a better player for half the price.  All im saying is we can spend our money a little wiser.  Now we are all out of money and got to live with what we got