The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I have been avoiding reading the Canes news this morning but avoidance only lasts so long.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 11h

Canes locker room was a pretty solemn place tonight after game. Understandably so.

Asked Muller how quickly Khudobin can return. Said would need practices to "get up to speed." Said not sure can be ready by end of next week

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes 12h

Muller on Skinner: "He'll be evaluated, and we'll see where he's at."

and Peters has a SPARKLING .897% with 3.29 GAA in the NHL. We know Peters isn't an NHL goalie, so why not see what Murphy has? 

Careful what you wish for...

Ha! The theme of the year. Small "n". 

On Mike Murphy. I say the smaller the "n' the better.

Edited by remkin

Go tell the coach, no need to get pissy.

and Peters has a SPARKLING .897% with 3.29 GAA in the NHL. We know Peters isn't an NHL goalie, so why not see what Murphy has? 

No surprise the Canes have placed Ward on the IR

There were lots of scouts at the Wild game last night. I wonder if we were getting ready to make a move and wonder if the Ward injury will change the focus of any move.

WEll Doomsday has officially arrived here. I guess everyone is sensing the same thing.....this is probably the beginning of the end for ol Wardo. He has had constant injuries for 3 years straight now and has not had good numbers for 5 years straight. We all know what he's capable of if he's healthy and has a good team in front of him, it seemed that was gonna be the case this year but now another serious injury. I had a feeling before the start of the year that Kouhdibin(sp) was gonna end up being our number one goalie by mid season. We'll see whats gonna happen. Maybe Wardo recovers and leads us to the cup!!! A man can have hope right? Maybe Peters gets us some nice wins and Dobby comes back and they lead us through thanksgiving.

Sigh.....and Skinner too now? Whats next, Staal and Semin go down for a month? It's almost a given that every game we will lose two players to injuries, I don't know if its bad luck or we just have fragile guys who put themselves in bad spots to get injured. Frustration!!!!!!!! I just want to yell at the team!

Because we are in the business of winning games not see if Mike Murphy is slightly better than Peters. There is a reason he is the back up in the AHL because greater hockey minds than my own know each guys abilities. I would love to see Murphy's abilities but just in an exhibition match. We are here to put the best team on the ice not "see what guys have"

On the up side of things.....Man we were a fast intense team last night. to bad nobody can find the back of the net or put one in more often on the PP.

Jordan, cmon man, you gotta work harder than you have been. your on pace for an 8 goal season. If this teams big money players don't step up and start scoring soon than they deserve to be benched. Peters gave us a chance last night but our horrible pp and lack of finishing lost the game for us.

Bryz sucked bad for Philly, why would we sign him? Peters looked good last night, let him start 2 or 3 before we go signing unsuccessfull goalies with horrible NHL numbers.

This is NUTS!!!  They need to sign a guy like Bryzgalov to a 2 way deal FAST to savage this season before it gets too far away from them.

I think the prudent thing is to take a step back and get through the next two games. Evaluate Wards injury (it could be worse or better) and give Dobby a chance to practice. Also evaluate Peters. Can we win with a Dobby-Pete Dawg tandem at least for a while. We have some days off next week. If needed that should give us time to shop around.

Peters is 27 and has bad NHL numbers and mediocre to above average AHL numbers.  I think the evaluation of him is over.  Murphy is 3 years younger with a bit better numbers in the AHL, let see what he can do as #1 there.  I wouldnt say Bryzgalov was horrible in Philly but he was much better in a smaller market in Pheonix.

Khudobin is back soon (hopefully) and Ward is only out a month, there's no reason to push the panic button yet. I don't feel comfortable with Peters as the No. 1 but there's not much we can do, and a lot of what we have seen from Peters has come in front of horrible defenses. Maybe this new defense, especially when Gleason returns, can give us enough of a chance to win games with Peters for a while.

Even if we don't do so well, it will give the team a chance to really see what they're made of. You can guarantee that a lot of guys in the locker room are focused on not repeating what happened last year when Cam went down. I don't expect this team to give up, and I think Peters can play well enough to give us a win if the rest of the team is committed. 

On the bright side (the sunny side of Remkin Island), it's still really early and when the team finally gets healthy there's always the chance that they claw themselves back into a playoff spot if this stretch doesn't go so well.

Peters is 27 and has bad NHL numbers and mediocre to above average AHL numbers.  I think the evaluation of him is over.  Murphy is 3 years younger with a bit better numbers in the AHL, let see what he can do as #1 there. 

This 100%.  When your options are a beer you know is crappy and a beer that might be crappy, but could surprise you, why not go with the latter? 

I think we are going to make a move. I'm not sure who or what kind of move but a move and soon. I know its pure speculation but what the heck. I don't think the move has anything to do with the Ward injury. I think it was already in the works.

This 100%.  When your options are a beer you know is crappy and a beer that might be crappy, but could surprise you, why not go with the latter? 

If you had no other information the above makes a bit more sense.  But I'm sure JR talked to the Charlotte folks about how both have looked and which stands the best chance of "stopping the gap" until we come up with a better alternative.  And while I haven't seen Murphy play, he isn't exactly tearing it up so far this year. (and no, I'm not saying the numbers alone should dictate the decision; too small a sample size :grin: )

# Goalies    GP Mins    W  L  SOL SO  GA GAA   SVS   SV% 

Justin Peters 1  60:00  1   0    0      0   2    2.00    32     0.941 

Mike Murphy 3 141:55  1  2    0      0   9    3.81    62     0.873

Also, your analogy presents just one direction.  It doesn't take into account that there's a high chance that the alternative beer (Murphy) is not only "crappy", but could be significantly worse than the beer you know (Peters). Gotta consider all alternatives :)

Edited by LakeLivin

Skinny looked in pain bending his right wrist back.

broke my right wrist leash training my now oldest dog.  hurt like hell.  when I woke up the next morning the entire thing was a bright purple concluded this was not normal and needed to go to the MD

JR didn't make a move last year when 1 and 2 goalies were out and look what happened. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes. I say give Bryz a shot. I agree maybe small market might agree with him. (2 way contract)

I don't see Bryz coming here on a Rent-a-Goalie basis.

What’s next for Bryz? From Pierre LeBrun of ESPN:

"Bryz will train at home in [New Jersey] until the right NHL job comes around," his agent Ritch Winter told ESPN.com via email Wednesday night. "He has turned down one NHL offer recently and will wait until the right opportunity presents itself. There is no rush. He is in great shape and ready to go when the right opportunity arises."

JR didn't make a move last year when 1 and 2 goalies were out and look what happened. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes. I say give Bryz a shot. I agree maybe small market might agree with him. (2 way contract)

Doubt he will take a two way. And even then what do we do with our other two goalies when they are back? Unless it was a season ending injury picking up another goalie right now doesn't make much sense.

I really don't think you can blame those who are hitting that panic button. Last season debacle is happening again now, just earlier in the year. I just hope everyone, not just Rutherford, but the players, Muller and his coaching staff, and the front office besides JR have learned from last season's disaster and can steer the team away from history repeating itself again. Winning tonight would be a good start, but so far I just don't see that happening. Here's to eating some crow.