The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Skinner getting MRI? Hard to see that as good news. Generally don't MRI something unless it isn't feeling right. Now have to hope for good news on that. We need Skinner's offense. 

Tlusty-J-Lindholm is interesting. Looking for offense there.

Where Ruutu is at this point, Ruutu-Nash-Dwyer much more the checking line.

Edited by remkin

As a said last year, his 10-year $60-million dollar contract is my biggest concern about this team moving forward. This is one thing that is going to haunt us for a long long long time to come!

Greg, this is why I think that these mega-contract extensions need to have a lot of performance-laden clauses that state you will NOT get this money if you don't perform up to the levels that earned you the extension in the first place.

Edited by AWACSooner

I believe we have a much deeper problem going forward than our goalie situation and it's actually at the other end.

Like everyone else, I want to see our goalies stealing a close game here and there or one we did not deserve to win but, when you have to depend on a near shut-out performance every night from our goalies and defense, because our forwards can barely muster to score more than 2 goals a game, then there is more wrong with the team and it might not be resting solely with the players.  

I believe our effort is there every night but what I am really missing is the creative freedoms some of our top guys used to enjoy. Somehow I can't imagine that they lost all their creativity overnight and since the play and problems of our top three lines is almost identical, I can't help but think that our coaching staff might just be a little too stubborn trying to force a system that is in need of tweaking.

Shuffling the lineup doesn't change much in your game when you still expect everyone to do the same things over and over. 

To win with the system we have you have to be tenacious. I'm not talking about effort I'm talking about going to the corners, charging the net, a relentless fore check and playing rough not just tough on defense. I have never been a fan of this kind of game in todays NHL. Speed wins games. A tough defense with a fast and creative offense is to my liking.. I'm not sure I'm explaining it correctly but I think its close to what whaler posted.

I don't want to minimize our goalie situation. At the moment its disturbing.

There are likely some system issues, but I am not sure how much it is forcing a system that isn't working, and how much is by necessity.

The turnover in D has made it necessary to change how the whole team plays.

To start the season, Jordan's line played the most defensive minutes, but Eric's line played against the toughest opponents. Faulk-Sekera were typically on the ice with Jordan's line. That made sense, as they are the best defensive pairing, so they played the most defensive minutes. Given the protected minutes they are trying to give to Harrison-Murphy, that left Hainsey and Bellemore matched up with Eric's line.

So the first line went from playing mostly with a defensive pairing last season (Pitkanen-McBain) that was capable of bringing the puck up the ice without a lot of help from the forwards to a pairing that needs the forwards to come back and help get the puck out of their zone. They went from a defensive pairing that actively participated in creating offensive chances, to a pairing that rarely enters the offensive zone and leaves them often trying to score three on six.

Not surprisingly, the first line started off with little production. In the first five games: 2 goals and 1 assist for the three combined.

Then an effort was made to "get the first line going", by switching up the defensemen they were out with. While (not surprisingly), Eric stated publicly that he liked playing with Murphy, that only works in some situations - where Harrison-Murphy can still be somewhat sheltered. So mostly that line has seen time with Faulk-Sekera. And while it may not be where it needs to be, first line production has improved. In the second five games: 6 goals and 6 assists for the line combined.

Of course, that leaves Jordan's line mostly with the Hainsey-Bellemore pairing, and now the concern is what's wrong with Jordan... (That's not all that is affecting Jordan. He's being given more defensive time so far this season as a "second" line center than he was ever given in Pittsburgh as a "third" line "shut-down" center.)

Once Gleason is back 100%, that may help. If Murphy is able to play less sheltered minutes with Gleason in a second pairing role (which it what they seem to be working towards), then that will give both the first and second lines some offensive punch from the defense, while still having adequate defensive coverage. Of course, then everyone will wonder what happened to Skinner's production...

If Murphy isn't ready for less sheltered minutes, the other option is to split up Faulk and Sekera. While that may not be as ideal for the first two lines, it would keep Murphy on the ice with the third line, where they can take advantage of the easier minutes.

I believe we have a much deeper problem going forward than our goalie situation and it's actually at the other end.

Like everyone else, I want to see our goalies stealing a close game here and there or one we did not deserve to win but, when you have to depend on a near shut-out performance every night from our goalies and defense, because our forwards can barely muster to score more than 2 goals a game, then there is more wrong with the team and it might not be resting solely with the players.  

I believe our effort is there every night but what I am really missing is the creative freedoms some of our top guys used to enjoy. Somehow I can't imagine that they lost all their creativity overnight and since the play and problems of our top three lines is almost identical, I can't help but think that our coaching staff might just be a little too stubborn trying to force a system that is in need of tweaking.

Shuffling the lineup doesn't change much in your game when you still expect everyone to do the same things over and over. 

I thought the shuffle in last game created some more effort. That double Staal with Semin looked good. Interested in seeing that new second line and really happy about Gerbe's promotion. He's on my fantasy team :)

As others have said----concerning to me is Skins needing and MRI. Also they were quick to say

Cam would miss 3-4 weeks. How did they know that so quickly? Do we know the nature of the injury?

(ie--re-injury of the knee---or other issue, like groin, etc.)

Dobby had trouble skating this morning---doesn't sound promising over the short term.  :shakeshead:

On the upside---after we lost our two in a row, the Caps, CBJ, NYI, and the Pens all lost

this weekend. So we are in a momentary holding pattern-----that is, until we play the Pens

tomorrow. What are the odds of us getting points out of that game?  Need much hockey

luck---and maximum effort from the puck drop....even then it might be a stretch.

I'll hang on a while longer, there are still 71 games to play. 

I mean really, I've not jumped off the dock like an ESPN outdoor challenge lab to the island, but there's no need for despair either.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I will be the realistic one for you all - this season is over. Let's look to the draft.

You should go watch another team. I can't even begin to understand how you actually find enjoyment in the game if you feel this way already. I recommend picking a winning team.

Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum...still enjoying the view from the island - however hoping the next shipment of rum arrives before the Pens game (just in case we need it) LETS GO CANES! Any team is beatable -I predict Peters will have a stellar game we beat the Pens 4-3 take the 2 points and run!

I think we get smacked by the Pens tonight, but I like our chances against NY. Our goaltender situation is just dire. I like Peters, but I do not trust him. Hopefully Gleason will hit full stride and help improve our defence, which at times is pretty darn sloppy.

Blaming the system is a bit like blaming the tools for a bad carpentry job and not the carpenter. These guys are professional hockey players making salaries that make ours look like jokes. Adapting and accountability should be common place at this level. Do players and coaches always see eye to eye no way. But the players do have voices and can make suggestions.

Yea being in 2nd place in the division and currently in a playoff spot. Game over man.

I will be the realistic one for you all - this season is over. Let's look to the draft.

Realistically, if I read these forums and never looked at the standings I would guess we only had 5 points. Not 11 and honestly it's quite amazing we have these 11 points considering how few games we've actually looked good.

. . . I believe our effort is there every night but what I am really missing is the creative freedoms some of our top guys used to enjoy. Somehow I can't imagine that they lost all their creativity overnight and since the play and problems of our top three lines is almost identical, I can't help but think that our coaching staff might just be a little too stubborn trying to force a system that is in need of tweaking.

Just pointing out that imo an important word in Whaler's post is "tweaking".  After all, looking just at results we were off to a very good start under the new system before our goalies went down. 

There are likely some system issues, but I am not sure how much it is forcing a system that isn't working, and how much is by necessity.

The turnover in D has made it necessary to change how the whole team plays.

. . .

I've only been able to see the games via a slow internet connection on a 15" laptop, so my viewing is just a few grades up from listening to the radio.  I really get no detail at all.  Stats that jump out at me that I'd appreciate someone helping me understand are these:

Sutter         -5         Bellemore         -6               Hainsey         -7                 Eric Staal         -7

Let's ignore Sutter for the moment, as he's down at the bottom end of the forward depth chart anyways.  But what about the other three?  Presumably E and Hainsey are playing a lot of PK minutes which would negatively skew the results some. And E is most likely going to be on the ice for most empty net goals, which could be another factor.  But how much PK time is Bellemore getting? Why is the Hainsey - Bellemore pairing so low?   Like I said, I can't really make out details during the game, so looking to the board here for analysis (and I am aware that we're only viewing results from 11 games, a relatively small sample size :grin:).

I like the Dipietro PTO.  It fits the same risk - reward model as the Tolchinsky signing back when nobody else wanted him and there were doubts that he'd ever make it to the NHL.  Even though the odds of the Dipietro panning out are low, there's little cost and at least some potential for a nice upside.  This is a guy who has been exceptional at the NHL level (even if it was a long time ago), and if he's healed enough to be at least effective, even if it's only for a few weeks or so before he gets hurt again, well, that could fill a need.  Obviously we're talking 2-way contract if he does have anything left in the tank.    

And on the goalie front, John Muse had his second shutout in as many games with the Checkers yesterday (27 saves).  If things keep going this way, one of the big losers in the whole goalie fiasco could be Mike Murphy, who might not have a job to go back to in Charlotte.

Edited by LakeLivin

Pretty much every team faces a stretch of adversity in an NHL season. There is reason for concern obviously. Despite being better on the blueline, we are not a defensive juggernaught that can cover for soft goaltending. That is a very real issue. Our schedule will overall continue to be brutal in terms of the teams we play, though we ahve a nice home stretch coming up. 

Peters is at the lower end of NHL goalies, but has had nice statistical runs before and actually has looked decent. Now beating Pittsburgh will be a task. If Khudoben is out for any length of time we will need to find a goalie (ideally not named DePietro). 

How this team responds to this adversity will be telling. E.Staal, Semin, Tlusty, Ruutu, J.Staal. We should be able to find some points even with Peters in net.

I'm not sure how many teams could lose their #1 and #2 goalies and be expected to win a lot of games, so the Island is definitely a bit shaken and looking long term, but if Peters can just keep us .500 until we get Khudoben back, we will be ok. 

Oddly Skinner bothers me more, because we have had trouble scoring, and he was looking so good. Hopefully not a long term thing. 

Tonght's the night for a gritty win.

I'm not selling my waterfront condo on Rem's Island just yet. Weather the storm. Honestly we need evaluate where we are injury wise. Then make the adjustments or moves we need to. Although I'm not a fan of our system we need to stay the course. Time for our "big" guys to step up.

A little good news. Chip tweeted that prognosis for Ward after MRI remains 2-3 weeks. Muller has not ruled out a Skinner return Friday. (I'm not sure if that means the MRI didn't show serious injury or Muller doesn't know yet but I'm going to take that as a good sign.) Bellemore is day to day.

I wouldn't say we're done. But this system is not any good for us. Our top forwards simply put are not scoring like they should be. Now we are out both our starter and backup for who knows how long. I fear that we are going to get buried into the abyss and once we get healthy we will have no way to dig ourselves out come January.

I wouldn't say we're done. But this system is not any good for us. Our top forwards simply put are not scoring like they should be. Now we are out both our starter and backup for who knows how long. I fear that we are going to get buried into the abyss and once we get healthy we will have no way to dig ourselves out come January.

I agree.  A piece of dirt fell into that bathwater so let's throw it out. Baby? What baby?  :sarcasm:

Edited by LakeLivin